As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Two character sketches

QinguQingu Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Artist's Corner
characters_pa.jpg

Are these at least presentable? How can I improve them? I'm nervous to start coloring the left one because the right one doesn't look quite right yet.

Qingu on

• Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    stay consistent in your drawings. outline the whole thing and shade the whole thing using the same method.

Right now you have black outlines, flat shading, and digital scratchy painting in the face, skin, and clothes respectively.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    stay consistent in your drawings. outline the whole thing and shade the whole thing using the same method.

Right now you have black outlines, flat shading, and digital scratchy painting in the face, skin, and clothes respectively.
    Yis, I didn't bother to invisible the pencil-sketch layer because I accidentally put some of my lines in there. I believe it's fixed now.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    your jacket still doesn't feel outlined. you're going too dark with the shadows, and are you outlining it digitally? because the outlines look scratchy and unsure of themselves.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    your jacket still doesn't feel outlined. you're going too dark with the shadows, and are you outlining it digitally? because the outlines look scratchy and unsure of themselves.
    Yes, digitally. I'm using a bamboo tablet and am completely unsure of myself. Should I try thicker outlines on the jacket? (Thanks, by the way!)

Qingu on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think at this point you need to just get a few dozen of these completed under your belt. Things look very muddy at this point. Try inking your images traditionally, then scanning in black and white, not grayscale. This eliminates any fuzziness and gives you a nice clean scan. Then put your color layer under that and set your scan layer to Multiply.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Practice outlines. Dont colour anything in yet. Just try a few different styles and thickness. I'm not a fan of what you have done with the nose. When it comes to noses less is more. Try just to put a little speck and then add the rest in when it comes to using a shading.

You have already posted these characters once before and I know you said you dont have time to perfect your art but I dont think much more time as gone into thinking about how you want them to look. I think for your project you could get away cheaply by looking at other peoples styles and line work and try to attempt a copy of there style.

chibi.jpg

pay close attention to the nose, the eyes and the mouth and how minimal colours can create such a look.

Do some more line work. Do it on a separate layer and then create a new layer bellow that and try to block in some colour. Dont bother adding shadows until you are confident the line work is where you want it to be

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Remember the secret is lots of winking and blushed cheeks.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    Remember the secret is lots of winking and blushed cheeks.
    hahhaha just how you like em mustang :D I just found a random photo off google.

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I can't disagree with leg's suggestion of "copy crappy anime" any more if I tried.

Here's a page from this book:
    noses.gif

In cartooning, you want to build up an instantly recognizable look for your character with as few lines as possible. A triangle of shadow representing the nose is not going to do it for you.

Also, I posted this in some other dude's thread, but it's quite applicable here:
    Make sure your characters are recognizable by silhouette. Your girl is, and your guy starts to be with those droopy ears, but could be made much more distinct. I'm just repeating Matt Groening here
    cartoon_silhouettes.gif

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I can't disagree with leg's suggestion of "copy crappy anime" any more if I tried.

Drilled, runs off and cry's himself to sleep
    only joking. Good feedback monon. You really love to disagree with me but you are normally right. I am no expert in cartoon drawing. I have tried a few times and my head doesnt let me do it. I dont think Qingu wants to put to much effort into learning how to draw (he has mentioned about it in his previous thread). You get out what you put in.

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    NaweGNaweG Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    One other thing you might want to look at (based on my own admittedly poor skills) is to make the shading blend a little better. There's a pretty hard line where your shadows are, and it wouldn't hurt to feather or blend those to make the transition softer.

NaweG on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I agree about Qing needing to improve his efforts. I remember the last thread, and IIRC, the approach was "I don't draw often, but help me make this cover look professional"

I actually like the character designs, as they remind me a bit of Gullah Gullah Island (even though I was too old at the time to be able to admit watching it...ahem). I think if Qing were to bust his ass, he'd be able to put out some good looking stuff

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Anime Girls

Haha. i used that image as a reference once in one of my posts (me too because its one of the first ones google images brought up). I used it in a post where i compared good anime, to shit anime. Guess which one this represented :)

Qingu: I think try and make a solid sketch outline in pencil, and then drop it into the computer. You seem to have some understanding of colour pallets, but i think that you rushed into the fun stuff too fast. :) You should try working with pencil and paper first, finalising the sketch, and then i photocopy it (If you have access to one *my printers a photocopier too*) and then use a fine liner pen to make the clean lines. Once you drop that into photoshop, use those lines (assuming they're clean) as your outline, rather than having to digitally paint them in. Just drop colours under the line work. It saves time and looks more traditional. ATM your lines are rough, because you havnt finalised exactly what it is you are colouring.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I've been scanning my pencils, converting them to cyan and lowering the opacity to like 10-25% then printing and inking. The lightening and cyan makes it easy to remove the pencil lines in photoshop later.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've been scanning my pencils, converting them to cyan and lowering the opacity to like 10-25% then printing and inking. The lightening and cyan makes it easy to remove the pencil lines in photoshop later.

yeah that works really well. its easier than sketching in a blue or red pencil.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    ok... so.. I dont claim my fame in cartoon characters but I had a spare 10 minutes at work so I sketched you up a few examples. I like a couple of them. This is what you should be doing. drawing heaps of faces and picking ones you like.

As I siad Im not a cartoonist... and Im sure people will be like what sh*t towards these drawings but you may use them if you like. I like a couple like the girl in the middle and the boy in the middle at the top. You may use my ideas. They are all yours but I strongly suggest you dont just copy.
    Photo138.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Is Qing even reading this?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Is Qing even reading this?

Im sure he is or will.. last time he posted something he got fairly drilled to put it lightly so he might take his time

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I have been reading, but I haven't had a chance to draw anymore. I do appreciate the advice though.

Note: no scanner, so I'm basically stuck with Photoshop. Is forcing myself to do linework on a tablet really that unadvisable? I used to do more sketching with paper and pencil, but I actually think I like sketching on Photoshop better now. But inking or linework or whatever is definitely harder.

Legg, I do appreciate that you took the time to draw those, but it's totally not the style I'd like. If it comes down to it I will rip off Avatar: the Last Airbender even more than I already have. Is your main complaint with Gil's nose being too stark of a line? Because I do like the way noses look in the Prince of Egypt:

the-prince-of_m.jpg

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    As I mentioned I have no experience in cartoon drawing but there is a fair amount of difference in the noses of the prince of Egypt compared to yours. The main difference is the line-work. The Prince of Egypt line work is so thin and almost not even there. they only add thick linework on the side the shaddow is coming from which gives a strong 2D effect in my mind. I really like the Avatar as a show. And the style is good but only really for animation. Since you are not animating your images I would push towards adding allot more detail than avatar. The reason being as since they are animated the detail is restricted and I dont think it would look as good as a still.

Maybe as a suggestion you should go down a new track with your book. A few suggestions would be to maybe get kids (the age your book is targeted at) to draw for you. OR better yet seeing as your book is on the internet and interactive. Why not make it interactive and have dot to dot images or get the reader to actually draw/ create the characters they imagine.

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Legg—the book is mostly already written, though I'm still playing with it, but that kind of interactivity is a bit late. I agree, I would like to get into more detail, but at this point I'm worried that I just don't have the skills so I'm trying to keep it relatively simple.

I tried doing thicker, more precise linework on the girl. Still using a tablet:

kiddu_pa1.jpg

And here's with a very rough coloring (I know you guys told me to wait but I would like to know what you think of the color choices) (edit: this should be darker and more saturated)

kiddu_pa_2.jpg

I made the nose a small dot. I shall return to the boy's nose later.

Qingu on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Your faces look flat. A quick google for the human skull: http://assets.aarp.org/external_sites/adam/graphics/images/en/8915.jpg

The face has structure, it's three-dimensional. Remember to take into account the cheek bones, the structure of the nose and the structure of the eyes. You don't need to draw all of these, but I think it'll help to draw a 3D object by thinking about it as a 3D object.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Going with thicker more precise lines is helping. Your old lines looked scratchy and not confident.

I second Zombiemambo's advice.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Give up colouring for the time being, it's just costing you time that you should be devoting to your shapes.

Also, I don't know how much drawing your doing, but if all you've done is what's posted in this thread then you need to pick up the pace. Carrying a sketchbook and pencil everywhere will give you more opportunity to practice. So yeah, practice practice practice is your path to awesomeness.

Mustang on
  • Options
    PojPoj Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What size are you working at? If you're working (inking/coloring) at the same size as the drawings you posted in this thread, I'd advise going a lot lot bigger than that. You'll have a lot easier time making your lines look consistent, which is important if you don't feel confident enough to do long, bold strokes yet. If you ARE working larger, then it'll just take some practice, is all!

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    kripa_hatvan_pa.jpg

ayan_pa.jpg

First one kind of stolen from a combination of Auron and some random baseball player I found on the internet.

At what point am I allowed to start inking and coloring?

Poj, for the first drawing I posted I was working really small. My problem with larger sizes is that my Photoshop displays odd zoom-in sizes all blocky. Does anyone know what's up with that? I used to work larger, I don't know if my linework looked any better though.

Qingu on
  • Options
    PojPoj Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hmm. I *think* I know what you mean about the zoom in sizes thing, but I counter that by just starting with a really giant image and working at 100%. I've also gotten used to just working with the blockiness, if I absolutely must.

The sketches look good, but everybody's legs are looking kind of short.

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Try to not let your lines get so scratchy. Draw with confidence and long lines. You won't get the line you want right when you first try, but when you do start to draw the lines you want every time you'll be much happier and drawing tighter drawings.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    One more:

kiddu_pa_3.jpg

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    you should stop building up the outsides of your forms, and start building them from the center.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    you should stop building up the outsides of your forms, and start building them from the center.
    Can you explain what this means?

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    bottleform.gif

on the left is what you're doing. you're trying to build the object you are drawing from the outline only without understanding what's underneath.

On the right,, I started with the vertical axis, drew the circular areas indicating the three cylindrical shape, and then built the outline around that.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    ^Good advise, this is the one concept that will provide a major jump in your skill level.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    yeah, three semesters of still life work and i can fraw the fuck out of a bottles.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I have been drawing from the center! I just erased the lines before I poasted. (I actually had a nudy drawing of the Muslimy woman up before I went back and edited that post.)

Do the stances and proportions all look okay? (Besides the leg issue?) And can you guys perhaps criticize the character designs as well?

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If you were drawing from the center, there's no need for the buzzsaw lines you have going around the outside.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    extend her legs. You can make her look solid without making her legs look to short also the feet might not be the right angle. I think your getting there though. Also the body says attitude so give her face some eg:

attitude.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    i disagree about the extended legs. the character has a short, thick shape. there's no reason to reduce that quality.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    i disagree about the extended legs. the character has a short, thick shape. there's no reason to reduce that quality.

LoL we seem to have the absolute opposite opinion on everything Manonvon. It must be because you like Punk music... ahaha jokes. I've seen your cartoon type work and like it so I am not one to disagree with you on your own turf. Tree trunks it is Qingu :p.

Every-time I write your name Qingu it reminds me of that awesome show about that awesome penguin called Pingu. Dammit asif they ever stopped making that show..

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oi. I'm still working on the character portraits. But can you guys also tell me what you think of my web design? I'm so ready to stop screwing with it and just work on writing and drawing. (spoilered for largeness)
    pa_screenshot_1.jpg

pa_screenshot_2.jpg

pa_screenshot_3.jpg

pa_screenshot_4.jpg

(Edit: the first page isn't actually going to say "Welcome!" when I'm through. I haven't decided what I'm doing with it.)

Qingu on