As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Text editing software

TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm currently translating a large website with a bunch of other guys.

We divided it in four equal pieces, which we will edited together when we're done translating. It has come to my attention, however, that there are a lot of sentences repeated throughout the text. Specific terminology is also used repeatedly.

So my question is, what can I use to find the repeated sentences? I could manually enter each sentence in the search, but I feel there should be a better way.

TeaSpoon on

• Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Assuming you're looking for these particular phrases so that you can replace them, you could use something like Scite or Notepad++. Decent programming editors like the ones just mentioned have a Replace function in addition to Find.

Basically you put the text you want to get rid of in the search field, put what you want to replace it with in the replace field, and then you can replace all instances, replace all instances in selection, etc..

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yes, I know how the replace function works. If I was going to use the replace function, I would have to find the repeated sentences first, which means going through the entire text sentence by sentence.

I was hoping for software that does that for me. Software that scans the text, compares the sentences, finds the duplicates, and reports it to me. It would be nice if it could do fuzzy matches too.

[EDIT] By the way, it's just text. No programming stuff.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TextWrangler on OS X has a feature to do this.

Text->Process Duplicate Lines…

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm not sure if this program does it, but it's an amazing text editing tool and I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

http://www.ultraedit.com/

However I just went to their site and it's no longer a free program, however they have a new program called UltraCompare which might do what you need.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've used most of the ones mentioned in the past, but I'll add one more.
    TextPad is the general favorite in my office.

lunchbox12682 on
  • Options
    SoulStalkerSoulStalker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A lot of the developers in my office (myself included) swear by Notepad++. It's even got a RegEx search/replace feature. Very useful.

SoulStalker on
    Misanthropist extraordinaire.
  • Options
    LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you have access to ruby, and the repeated sentences you're mentioning are EXACTLY duplicate, you could one-line it.
    #!/usr/bin/env ruby

puts STDIN.read.scan(/.*?\./).uniq.join

Then on the terminal:
      scriptname.rb < inputfile > outputfile

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Thanks, guys. I'll try those solutions.

TeaSpoon on