As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Paper Cut - A Flash Dilema

MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Artist's Corner
I'm working on my web page, I'm happy with the layout and the color scheme, but I think I need someone else to look at it. I could use a second opinion.. or third, or fourth.

papercut.jpg

Also, I'm thinking of building the top menu in Flash, but I have no idea how to make the buttons act like I want them to. When you mouse over, I want them to tilt slightly to the left or right (randomly every time in either direction) and when you mouse out I want them to spring back into their original position, but kinda springy like, like it takes a while for them to stop shaking after you've moused out.

Anyone know how to do this?

BTW, this was done entirely in Illustrator, so all the graphics (with the exception of the cardboard and paper background) are vector data.

MagicToaster on

• ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't know shit about flash, but I dig the colors and layout.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey! There is no cake in here.

I like the layout, but all the body text appears to be in Latin.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's very Saved By the Bell, and that is most definitely a good thing.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I heard there was cake.

I like your header but the abrupt changes between the halftone dots, the grey, and the carboard irk me some, they need to be more naturalistic, or have a bit more contrast in the transition I don't know. I like where your going with it overall but it feels bland, in that it is interesting enough but doesn't do much for me beyond that.

I don't think you have enough boxes

for someone who professes their box love on the front page.

Veritas on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What program are you using to make the site? Dream weaver? Uh, when you use dream weaver... I.... remember... somethinggggg... ASK NIGHT DRAGON!! she's made some websites recently and would probably know, pm her and be like "halppp"

Loomdun on
    splat
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    D-Robe wrote: »
    Hey! There is no cake in here.

The Cake is a lie.

It's very Saved By the Bell, and that is most definitely a good thing.

I've been working at the same company for 3 years, their design is very serious, very corporate... very green... I wanted to do something with a color scheme and a design style very different from what I've been doing lately. It seems that Saved by the Bell is the remedy for Corporate Design.

Veritas wrote: »
    I heard there was cake.

I like your header but the abrupt changes between the halftone dots, the grey, and the carboard irk me some, they need to be more naturalistic, or have a bit more contrast in the transition I don't know. I like where your going with it overall but it feels bland, in that it is interesting enough but doesn't do much for me beyond that.

Originally, I was planning on having a description of the sections in the black half-tone area when you moused over the buttons, but then I changed my mind. I might still do it, then the black area would have a function.

Loomdun wrote: »
    What program are you using to make the site? Dream weaver? Uh, when you use dream weaver... I.... remember... somethinggggg... ASK NIGHT DRAGON!! she's made some websites recently and would probably know, pm her and be like "halppp"

I don't really like DreamWeaver, it adds too much weird code. I'd much rather write it by hand using Notepad ++. It doesn't take long to do it, just do one page and you're done!

MagicToaster on