As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DS Homebrew Thread: Still Alive

• Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, even though I said that back then, I can vouch personally for the DSTT now and it works just as well as the R4 once you get the firmware from Daedalus's OP installed and ready to go. Haven't run into anything it can't handle yet from the homebrew I've tried. Still has a spring like the 1st R4 but that can be fixed if it really bothers you (or if it gets stuck later).

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    SulSul Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DSTT it is

Sul on
    Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    http://gonintendo.com/?p=61344

DSi is blocking some flash carts. DSTT is not on the list however, but if this means that it doesn't get blocked or simply hasn't been tested, I don't know.

Still though, get the DSTT, it's awesome and has worked perfectly for me so far.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hello folks, Sorry bout the Thread Resurrection but I was wondering if anyone had experience with either the AceKard 2 or the AceKard RPG. (An AceKard 2 with 1GB onboard) The UI seems pretty slick but there are alot of people complaining about the card construction being shoddy... Either way debating on this + an EZ Flash 3 n 1, or just a Cyclo DS EVO.

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    DtotheGDtotheG Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, sadly, after a run of a little over a year, I think my R4 is dead.

Should I get a new one or is there something else better or as good for less?

Also, $15 AND a 2GB card? Wow...
    http://www.stuffs4kids.com/R4DS_Revolution_2G_MicroSD_TF_p/r4ds-2g.htm

Plus, I'm concerned that since the R4 is the new "hot" item for pirates, "they" might start checking credit card info to track 'em down. Granted, as long I as I use it for homebrew (Guitar Hero Clone- http://www.videogameshero.com/index.php) and as an MP3 Player, I'm good, but am I just paranoid? Or I am I just stoned?

DtotheG on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DtotheG wrote: »
    Well, sadly, after a run of a little over a year, I think my R4 is dead.

Should I get a new one or is there something else better or as good for less?

Also, $15 AND a 2GB card? Wow...
    http://www.stuffs4kids.com/R4DS_Revolution_2G_MicroSD_TF_p/r4ds-2g.htm

Plus, I'm concerned that since the R4 is the new "hot" item for pirates, "they" might start checking credit card info to track 'em down. Granted, as long I as I use it for homebrew (Guitar Hero Clone- http://www.videogameshero.com/index.php) and as an MP3 Player, I'm good, but am I just paranoid? Or I am I just stoned?

Seems good, but I'm betting that's a pretty crappy MicroSD card. Though they have gotten awful cheap these days.

And yeah, you're just being paranoid. Or stoned. Or both.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So what exactly is it that makes people say that R4's suck? What's the dif between R4 and other kinds of Slot 1s? I am tempted to pick one up at this price.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just buy a DSTT. They're only $10 at DealExtreme, and much better. Then go to NewEgg and get a Kingston 2gb MicroSD card for $5 or a 4gb for $10.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Want to ship my microSD card to me? I live in Canada :(

DSTT is bought'd, though. As if I didn't have enough games...

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    What's the difference between a DSTT and an R4?

How is one better?

DtotheG on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

How is one better?

They're basically just different brands of flash card. The R4 doesn't support SDHC cards (i.e. anything over 2GB).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16929

Is it worth it for the extra 7 bucks? Now the R4 has SDHC support too.
    Screw it, I'm ordering the DSTT

DtotheG on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16929

Is it worth it for the extra 7 bucks? Now the R4 has SDHC support too.
    Screw it, I'm ordering the DSTT

The R4-III, R4-Deluxe, R4 Pro and other stupid things are all knock-offs.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

How is one better?

They're basically just different brands of flash card. The R4 doesn't support SDHC cards (i.e. anything over 2GB).

and the actual R4 casing and spring are cheesy and prone to breaking. the spring is, anyway... Better to get one that doesn't even have a spring, and just lets your card slide on in...

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    PsychoishPsychoish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    the cheat wrote: »
    Daedalus wrote: »

How is one better?

and the actual R4 casing and spring are cheesy and prone to breaking. the spring is, anyway... Better to get one that doesn't even have a spring, and just lets your card slide on in...

I thought they didn't make the ones with the spring anymore?

Psychoish on
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    From what I've read, production of the R4 stopped with the original R4. All of the new ones you see are pretty much shitty knockoffs that have been confirmed to blow fuses inside the DS.

The DSTT and the AceKard2 are kosher, however.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Apparently there's been some issues with non-genuine DSTTs being sold from DealExtreme.com. I don't know if that's the case with mine, but I do know that it recently has stopped reading my SD card. It just hangs on the "LOADING" screen with the smiley folder without doing anything else.

If there's no card in the device, it'll turn into the blue folder and say "NO CARD". So it's not entirely broken, but I guess it's not making good enough contact or something because nothing happens beyond "LOADING". I tried shoving some paper in there to make things tighter but it didn't seem to help. I've been formatting with the Panasonic SD tool (which supposedly is more compliant to SD standards) in FAT16 as well as trying multiple SD cards but nothing seems to work.

I'm guessing a replacement card is the only way to fix this, what would you guys recommend? I'm hesitant to replace it with another DSTT since it seems like this would inevitably happen again. My original R4 is still going strong but I'd like another card so I can keep playing head-to-head DOOM.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Do you guys recommend getting the EDGE card? It received a Golden Award over at GBAtemp...

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Do you guys recommend getting the EDGE card? It received a Golden Award over at GBAtemp...
    Maybe I should look into that one, I'm hearing far less horror stories about it (but it's also not as widespread as the DSTT I guess).

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Mugen, I had to install a different OS type thing on my DSTT for it to work. Have you done that? I used the one in the OP.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have an ezFlash V and I am happy with it.

But now I need to buy another kit, what is the best one out there today? Also, Deal Extreme is still the best shop?

Thanks.

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So.. How do I go about getting Hexen DS to work? Do I just download the file off the site, or do I need a.. thing, like you need for Doom.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Mugen, I had to install a different OS type thing on my DSTT for it to work. Have you done that? I used the one in the OP.
    Yep, and that OS worked for a bit but then it just crashed out in the middle of a game of DOOM and wouldn't work again. We even have a friend with a DSTT that we popped the SD card into (before formatting it and generally messing with whatever we could) and his DSTT worked with it just fine.

Yet the broken DSTT still recognizes when there's no card inserted, so it's kind of puzzling. I'm not going to worry too much about it since I only paid 10 or so dollars (before it was way cheaper) but I think I'd like to try something else in the meantime.

Thank you for your concern though, any and all help is appreciated! :-)

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    For those of you still on the fence about getting into homebrew, this deal isn't probably going to last long:

New TopToy DSTT Multimedia Card for NDS and NDS Lite (Supports SDHC) Price: $11.07 Free Shipping

Jump on that shit. $11? What the hell are you waiting for?

Bump because this is down to $6.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    They're probably trying to get rid of excess stock before the DSi becomes too popular and makes it pointless.

Still, if you don't have any immediate plans to pick up a DSi, get the hell on that deal.

Legba on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just let me know when there is a good card for the DSi. I just want to be able to play my Quake and Doom on the go.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is that TopToy one any good? That is, how does it rate compared to others?

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Works fine. Might not last as long as some of the others, but pick two at that price!

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ethicalseanethicalsean Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Do you still need a slot 2 device to run GBA homebrew stuff or can the slot 1 stuff run it now?

ethicalsean on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Just let me know when there is a good card for the DSi. I just want to be able to play my Quake and Doom on the go.

There aren't any cards out that work for the DSi yet.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    For those of you still on the fence about getting into homebrew, this deal isn't probably going to last long:

New TopToy DSTT Multimedia Card for NDS and NDS Lite (Supports SDHC) Price: $11.07 Free Shipping

Wow, I'm definitely picking it up at that price.

elevature on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

Won't it be this way for a long time? I heard the DSi closed all the loopholes the DS had, making it much harder to crack.

xzzy on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Acekard2i, R4i and DSTTi all work on the DSi. They only work in plain DS mode, though.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

The DSi takes SD cards - when it's cracked, you won't need an adapter.

Legba on
  • Options
    Max22Max22 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    elevature wrote: »

Wow, I'm definitely picking it up at that price.

I heard that most DSTTs these days are fakes, which can range from "pretty crappy" to "DS-bricking".

Max22 on
    Xbox Live: jackspades22
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well, I bought one of those a few months back, and it certainly wasn't a fake, nor did it brick my DS.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Any recommendations for GBA homebrew carts? I'm looking for something to go with my shiny new Micro. DealExtreme sells the EZ-Flash IV, but I'd like something I can just drag-and-drop to, ideally with some flavor of SD storage.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    GBA carts are pretty much no longer made, except for ones that rely on the DS for loading.

edit: and you can't run anything on the GBA from an SD card anyway, you need NORFlash (or RAM). The EZF4 loads programs from the SD card to NORFlash (slooooowly) every time you want to run one.

edit 2: You may have noticed that I haven't updated the OP in quite some time. This is because the people making interesting DS homebrew have largely moved on to the iPhone/iTouch, where they can actually get some money. Maybe this will change when the DSi's appstore launches, but I doubt it, as Nintendo's policies are stricter than Apple's.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Legba wrote: »

The DSi takes SD cards - when it's cracked, you won't need an adapter.

Until they patch it the next day.

redhalo on
  • Options
    BoxBox Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    the acekard2 works swimmingly for the DSi.

Box on