As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Adventureland: Discussion of

MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Social Entropy++
So I hadn't really heard a whole lot about this movie but saw it being advertised as this year's Superbad. From the trailers it didn't look like it would be the laugh a minute comedy like Superbad was and would ultimately be a lame imitator. But then it turned out to be something much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F--nHysJkw

Adventureland is actually a coming of age story that is kinda like a watered-down version of The Graduate presented for an emotionally charged, drug fueled, and completely apathetic generation. Which I thought was really cool. It was pretty slow in the beginning but then I was really taken by surprise to see how smart it really was. For the lack of better words, shit got deep. It also has an awesome soundtrack featuring Lou Reed and Falco.

So did anyone else see this? I haven't heard much praise from the SE crowd. I really recommend it. I bet the guys and gals here will like it too.

If you have seen it let's talk about how hot Lisa P. is. Or how terrible of an actress Kristen Stewart is in general.

sig1.jpg
Monkeyfeet on

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is our generation really "drug-fueled?" I know my share of druggies, but I didn't know that's what we were known for. And how can you be emotionally charged and completely apathetic?

Also: I did not realize this movie was out already.

Jimothy on
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I liked it, but I bet it's going to get a ton of hate for the general theme of "surburban white dude can't handle the idea of getting a real job, whines a lot, is pretentious about music." It's unfortunate the studio marketed it as another Superbad, but on the other hand they might not have gotten anyone to see it otherwise.

Martin Starr's character, Joel, was my favorite; there was something tragic about his life in comparison to the other characters. I'll admit I hoped
    that at the end when James goes to New York, that him and Joel were going to go find some shitty apartment together and just figure out life.

Lisa P. was pretty hot, but I'll be the only to say I actually liked Kristen Stewart over all in this.

thanimations on
  • DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This movie was fucking great

Dsmart on
  • potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    the superbad of scene kids

potatoe on
    edited April 2009
    brick meats pineapple express

potatoe on
    edited April 2009
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Is our generation really "drug-fueled?" I know my share of druggies, but I didn't know that's what we were known for. And how can you be emotionally charged and completely apathetic?

Also: I did not realize this movie was out already.

it takes place in the 80s

Dsmart on
    edited April 2009
    potatoe wrote: »
    the superbad of scene kids

you have to admit this movie feels quite a bit more organic than "a nerd. a brain. a jock..."

its quite grounded.

Dsmart on
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    potatoe wrote: »
    brick meats pineapple express

I don't know about this

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So does Ryan Reynolds just play the same part he did in Waiting and Van Wilder?

That aging yet young wise man who dispense knowledge and quirky advice while making the workplace/school a better place to be?

Cause, I mean, he does it well but I think that's kind of a rut.

DrZiplock on
    edited April 2009
    slc punk in a wayne's world universe

potatoe on
  • CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Naw, Ryan Renold's was a pretty pathetic character in this, but he wasn't entirely unlikable. Kind of a tool with a heart of gold.

Everyone in this movie aside from Joel was a pretty big tool, but it was a pretty realistic portrayal of the confused youth culture.

Cristoval on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    hey, this movie actually made kristen stewart someone you can watch on screen without wanting to punch your own face in. a little. she still needs a little work emoting.

but yeah, loved every little thing about this movie. the trailers were such b.s. though. i feel like it could have maybe done better if it got advertised more accurately

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited April 2009
    I like how the lead wasn't bound to the "lol awkward nerdy"

he was just a real dude with a share of awkward and smooth

Dsmart on
    edited April 2009
    The only thing which bothered me was that the main character was basically a poor man's Micheal Cera... per se.

Cristoval on
    edited April 2009
    Kristen Stewart was actually ok in this. But she still did that thing where we she darts he eyes to the side and back to the center again every 5 seconds like she is really unsure and then bites her lower lip. I hate this

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Cristoval wrote: »
    The only thing which bothered me was that the main character was basically a poor man's Micheal Cera... per se.

except that he totally wasn't and he is actually a better actor

Dsmart on
    edited April 2009
    I'm not saying his acting was bad, but Micheal Cera was obviously busy with Scott Pilgrim.

Cristoval on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Superbad is awesome. I haven't seen this yet and will probably wait for the DVD. I heard it bombed pretty hard so it'll probably be available soon.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited April 2009
    He definitely had tones of Michael Cera at times, but I think on the whole he made the part his own.

But that point is valid indeed

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited April 2009
    This was like Garden State, except not written to an iTunes playlist. And a lot more enjoyable.

It was nothing at all like Garden State.

Cristoval on
    edited April 2009
    Cristoval wrote: »
    This was like Garden State, except not written to an iTunes playlist. And a lot more enjoyable.

It was nothing at all like Garden State.

Thank you for correcting yourself this time

Dsmart on
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    my theater did not get this movie

this theater showed Mall Cop for like two months, but didn't bother to get like any oscar nominee other than Slumdog for a week

I hate this town so much

Vann Diras on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Any movie that has Zach Braff in it is automatically inferior to a similar film that does not have Zach Braff.

It's like science or something.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited April 2009
    I could see some kids going in and being 'oh boy Superbad 2' and coming out 'what the fuck was that'

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited April 2009
    I also never saw superbad

that had nothing to do with the theater, though

Vann Diras on
    edited April 2009
    There was an old couple sitting in front of us at theater, and bless them they did a mighty fine job of trying to stick with it. The husband was obviously trying to show his wife to a good time by spontaneously going to one of those crass teenager films. They seemed to enjoy themselves somewhat, but left at around the 10th pot reference and decided the movie "wasn't for them".

It was pretty heartwarming.

Cristoval on
    edited April 2009
    Vann Diras wrote: »

Don't be such a vagine

Go see Superbad.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited April 2009
    I used to think that pot was being shoehorned into all these teen comedies

then I realized.

fuck. when I was that age we all did so much weed

Dsmart on
    edited April 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »

Don't be such a vagine

Go see Superbad.

but then I'll go to school and be all "guys guys man I finally watched superbad it was so hilarious"

and they'll be like "did we hit a time warp and go into the past what fucking year is it that superbad is relevant"

and I will be shamed

Vann Diras on
    edited April 2009
    I really liked how the portrayal of drug and alcohol wasn't just for a 'good time'

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The best case of that I have ever seen, Cristoval was in the theater for Dogma.

My friends and I all went and it was a pretty empty showing and then, during the previews, this older couple walks in.

Now, we're pretty fucking interested because it's Kevin Smith. You know that while entertaining it can get crass fast.

They looked at us with the faces of "why are these young men and women here for a movie about Catholicism?"

We looked at them with faces of "Oh shit. This is going to be hilarious."

10 minutes in and they were out the fucking door.

DrZiplock on
    edited April 2009

Don't be such a vagine

Go see Superbad.

but then I'll go to school and be all "guys guys man I finally watched superbad it was so hilarious"

and they'll be like "did we hit a time warp and go into the past what fucking year is it that superbad is relevant"

and I will be shamed
    That is probably the dumbest reason anybody has ever had to not watch a movie. Congrats.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited April 2009
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    The best case of that I have ever seen, Cristoval was in the theater for Dogma.

My friends and I all went and it was a pretty empty showing and then, during the previews, this older couple walks in.

Now, we're pretty fucking interested because it's Kevin Smith. You know that while entertaining it can get crass fast.

They looked at us with the faces of "why are these young men and women here for a movie about Catholicism?"

We looked at them with faces of "Oh shit. This is going to be hilarious."

10 minutes in and they were out the fucking door.

That is weird. Wasn't it being protested by a bunch of catholic churches that got media attention?

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited April 2009
    I bet that same couple sat through the entirety of Passion of the Christ though.

Cristoval on
    edited April 2009

Don't be such a vagine

Go see Superbad.

and I will be shamed
    That is probably the dumbest reason anybody has ever had to not watch a movie. Congrats.

I'm wondering why you of all people are taking this post so literally

Vann Diras on
    edited April 2009
    I take teen comedies very seriously, buster.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited April 2009
    It would probably be best to watch Superbad while it's divorced from all the McLovin' hype.

Cristoval on
    edited April 2009
    I take teen comedies very seriously, buster.

not_another_teen_movie_poster.jpg

???

Vann Diras on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    man, not another movie was freakin spectacular, don't you be dissin it

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited April 2009
    On the topic of hype. When did it become a legitimate reason to hate a movie because many people have said it was good? I am thinking of people I know who don't like The Dark Knight because it has too much hype.

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg