As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

THIS THREAD INVOLVES [CHAT]ING

• Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    yeah i don't get how they can nail you for "selling alcohol to a minor" if the guy wasn't a minor

its like um...wait so which law was broken here?

Fletcher on
  • Options
    The One 52The One 52 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I really want to know Japanese and Spanish to borderline-fluency, at least...and more French than I know now (which is almost nothing, since I've forgotten almost everything I learned in my college French course!).
    I could be your personal teacher and help you learn "la langue de Molières".
    :winky:

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
    The internet does not qualify as grounds where you can act like a bouquet of dick.
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    In that case, I apologize to everyone else at home, for making a misinformed comment that had implied I thought Tam had said something clever once in his life; a claim obviously premature and roundly false.

image macro insult

Well, now you've won me over.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fletcher wrote: »
    yeah i don't get how they can nail you for "selling alcohol to a minor" if the guy wasn't a minor

its like um...wait so which law was broken here?

Selling alcholhol to a minor.

We just don't know for sure if that guy was a minor/ how it would work even if he was a minor for, what I'm assuming are ethical reasons.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wish I could live three lifetimes, if only to hold like 8 radically different jobs and get multiple degrees and see lots of cool things.

Like, every time I see pictures from some newly-discovered Awesome in Egypt, I really wish I could be an archeologist. AAAAAAAUGH so fucking awesome. I wanted to be an archeologist there ever since I was a kid, but I didn't think I could make archeology into a "career" - I wasn't sure if it was very "sustainable" or not. It's not like you run out there, dig up nothing, and get paid.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You can do anything you want in your life, provided you can convince a government organization or major university that it could be good publicity for them.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    mully wrote: »
    i think i hate illustrator

We have so much in common.
    We should start a club.

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
    The internet does not qualify as grounds where you can act like a bouquet of dick.
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    so no time in jail, and no fine, am i correct? what consequences are you looking at?

Um, didn't say there wouldn't be a fine. I don't know what the extent of it is. Nobody has informed me of the specifics afterward. Even if I don't end up having to pay a fine, which would be preferable, I might still lose my job, which isn't preferable. And seeing as how I went two and a half months without employment, up until a week ago, I can't afford to lose this job. Even if the boss man will end up holding it above my head for the remainder of my employment.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The One 52 wrote: »

We should start a club.

You guys suck! Illustrator is the best program ever!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Mustang wrote: »
    Yup you're the type of guy that needs to be put away for a long time......pfft, the whole thing is fucking ridiculous. I mean really, do the cops have so little to do that they have to run a sting operation on the local liquor store. I personally would request to see the undercover cop in questions identification, something about this whole thing smells a bit fishy. Are cops allowed to use minors in stings? It just doesn't sound like a completely legal operation.

Is posing as a minor the equivalent to being a minor? If that's how they view it then i could see how they could see it that way. Or, if the kid was 18 and on the force (which... could be possible) then yeah, he'd be underage.

No, it's not the same. It might be different if he outright told Buck that he was under 21 and he wasn't carded anyway, but I'm not sure. But obviously that's not what happened, so he is presumably actually a minor.

As for the question about whether or not cops can use minors in stings, I don't know the legalities of using someone under the age of 18, but keep in mind that in this case (alcohol sale) a "minor" is anyone under the age of 21. So he could easily have been 18-20.

Betelgeuse on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    In that case, I apologize to everyone else at home, for making a misinformed comment that had implied I thought Tam had said something clever once in his life; a claim obviously premature and roundly false.

image macro insult

Well, now you've won me over.

I'll win your face...over

See this is why I have to use other people's jokes

Tam on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's almost impossibe to be an archeologist in Egypt these days. You basically have to be best buds with this guy, and everytime you discover something, he takes all the credit.

zahi3_72.jpg
    Zahi Hawass: Egyptologist and Media Whore

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I'm a non-believer and I'm proud of it.
    But that's mainly because the damn thing will never work as I intend it to. I'll just have to practice.

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Buckwolfe wrote: »
    so no time in jail, and no fine, am i correct? what consequences are you looking at?

Um, didn't say there wouldn't be a fine. I don't know what the extent of it is. Nobody has informed me of the specifics afterward. Even if I don't end up having to pay a fine, which would be preferable, I might still lose my job, which isn't preferable. And seeing as how I went two and a half months without employment, up until a week ago, I can't afford to lose this job. Even if the boss man will end up holding it above my head for the remainder of my employment.

Oh, hell.

That's not that big of a deal. Like you said, you went two and a half months unemployed. Another week or two won't kill ya.

The way you were talking I thought you were going to the penn, losing a few grand, and getting put on the sexual offenders list or something.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's almost impossibe to be an archeologist in Egypt these days. You basically have to be best buds with this guy, and everytime you discover something, he takes all the credit.

zahi3_72.jpg

All I know about Dr. Zahi Hawass is that he can tell if a mummy was royalty by smelling it.

Tam on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

I'm a non-believer and I'm proud of it.
    But that's mainly because the damn thing will never work as I intend it to. I'll just have to practice.

That's because you have to take it out on a date before you start working.... then it'll do what ever you want.
    whatever you want!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You can do anything you want in your life, provided you can convince a government organization or major university that it could be good publicity for them.

But I want to be really really really good at all of it, too...and that takes time I just don't have! :(

It's aiight. I'll just travel a lot and read a lot and maybe have the Secretary General from Egpyt's Supreme Council of Antiquities take a few SCAD kids to Egypt, as he mentioned thinkin' about doing when he visited a few months ago. Aaaaah! awesomeawesomeawesome!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    zahi3_72.jpg

YES, THAT'S THE GUY WHO CAME TO SCAD. :P Ah, Mr. Hawass.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's aiight. I'll just travel a lot and read a lot and maybe have the Secretary General from Egpyt's Supreme Council of Antiquities take a few SCAD kids to Egypt, as he mentioned thinkin' about doing when he visited a few months ago. Aaaaah! awesomeawesomeawesome!

You make him sound like a north African Peter Pan.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Then who's his Tinkerbell?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    edited April 2009
    MS - Let me put it this way, if I do lose my job, which I very likely could, it wouldn't be for a week or two. I lucked out big time when I got this job. It took two and a half months of dead ends just to sniff this one out. I'm so far in debt right now. I'm behind on all my payments. Real far behind. It wouldn't be another week or two of unemployment. The job market and economy is fucked, especially in the state of Massachusetts. That's no big secret.

It would be a lot more than two weeks before I even find a potential job opening around here.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The guy next door tried to do a pit barbecue and set his bushes on fire

Tam on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I find your pessimism to be a bummer. Look at it this way: in other states you could lose your job and go two months in jail without even the possibility of looking for a job.

I mean, you broke a law. It was a real foolish mistake, but it's behind you. So buck up, Buck. Take the consequences, be glad they're not any worse than they are, and keep on truckin.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I find your pessimism to be a bummer. Look at it this way: in other states you could lose your job and go two months in jail without even the possibility of looking for a job.

I mean, you broke a law. It was a real foolish mistake, but it's behind you. So buck up, Buck. Take the consequences, be glad they're not any worse than they are, and keep on truckin.
    I have to agree here.
    Otherwise you'll end up just like David Schwimmer.

ross.jpg

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I have to agree here.
    Otherwise you'll end up just like David Schwimmer.

ross.jpg

Dude, don't even joke about that. That...that's the last thing anyone would want.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Which is why you should try to be more upbeat :)

Nappuccino on

• Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I'm playing world of warcraft, and i'm a level 24 priest, and I smite spiders

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Buckwolfe wrote: »
    Dude, don't even joke about that. That...that's the last thing anyone would want.
    Cheer up, Buck. I know it sucks, but the only way to get through this is to move on.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, believe me. I know you had tough times, I know this is not a cool situation and anything. But you gotta keep moving. Learn from this and just take it one day at a time.

I've been depressed for two years and I'm still on antidepressants, I know what it's like to be down. But when you continually beat yourself and see everything as just another milestone of failure in your life, you just keep digging the hole you're in instead of getting out of it.

I'm not saying I lived the same thing as you, but you know... just hang in there. :^: :^:

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I appreciate it, guys, really I do. But I really am trying to keep my chin up here, even if it doesn't come across. I know I have an outstanding past of being this forum's Negative Nancy and all, but I'm still hoping that things will work out for me. I still think that I can make a go of it, and fix things.

Believe it or not, but I've done a lot of growing mentally/perception-wise in the past couple years, and a lot of that is due to the support of this particular forum. I feel like I should give credit, where credit is due. But I really am trying to look at this as best I can, whether it seems that way, or not.

I haven't given up, so please don't misunderstand. Its just a heavy situation to be in. That's all.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I don't think anyone would blame you for being pissy about it though Buck, but they're right, there is more to life than serving liquor. Like browsing for liquor, buying liquor and my personal favourite, drinking liquor.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I try to stay away form hard liquor, as its gotten me into trouble in the past. I'm more of a beer guy.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I find alcohol isn't that great for helping you get over problems anyway. Much better for just enjoying the good times :)

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    It can easily work for, or against you. It just depends on the person in question, and the situation.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    True, I make a point to never drink on an angry mood. So it's a good thing I'm mellow and relaxed 95% of the time.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's not a good sign then that the only time I drink is when I'm down

...and alone

Tam on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I do most of my drinking when I'm down, and alone, but honestly it usually improves my mood, like, 98% of the time.

But like I said, its only beer. I've learned my lesson about hard liquor the hard way. I won't go anywhere near the stuff. Maybe its because I didn't even touch alcohol until I was 21, but it took a while to learn my boundaries.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think it takes everyone a while to find their boundries. Just because you start drinking at the age of 12 and finds their limits at the age of 16 doesn't mean you understand your limits "sooner" than one how starts drinking at 21 and finds them at 25.

The time is still the same even if the ages are different (just arbitrary numbers but I think you understand my point)

The biggest factor in finding your limit is drinking smartly. Some are better about that then others (I found my limit the 2nd time I drank, haven't passed it since)

Nappuccino on

• Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I drink gasoline.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well, that much is obvious.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Forbe! wrote: »
    I drink gasoline.

It's cheaper than milk.

Nappuccino on

This discussion has been closed.