[PRIME] Those of you who've had press passes:

babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in PAX Archive
(Or, uh, "media badges." I'll call them press passes, since that's what they are.)

Are there any drawbacks to the press pass as compared to the standard PAX pass?

I was informed that I was going to receive a press pass for PAX -- after I'd already purchased my regular PAX pass. I'm planning on doing BYOC, too, so I'll have that pass as well.

What I'm curious about is this: Will I potentially encounter any issues if I end up giving away or selling my standard PAX pass, keeping just the press pass and BYOC badge?

Danke schön. <3

babelfish on

Posts

  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Message redacted.

    QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    QuickSnap wrote: »
    Not a damn thing.

    Not quite correct IMHO. With a media badge you get into the expo 2 hours earlier than everyone else on the first day. Oh and you also get automatic entrance to all concerts, without any quibble. The media room also has free WiFi and a place to stash gear. So no, a media pass isn't quite the same as a regular pass. This is from someone who did go as media and those extra 2 hours were a god-send as I managed to play a whole bunch of games including Left4Dead without actually queing at all. It also gives you an opportunity to scope the area out without being crushed :)

    kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png





  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User
    edited April 2009
    kropotkin wrote: »
    ...The media room also has free WiFi...

    Doesn't the whole building have free wifi? I know I connected to something last year.

    SlickShughes on
    Houn wrote: »
    This is Penny Motherfuckin' Arcade. It's a better class of forum, and you know it.
  • MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    kropotkin wrote: »
    ...The media room also has free WiFi...

    Doesn't the whole building have free wifi? I know I connected to something last year.

    Yeah I thought the whole of Seattle had free wifi cuz I was hitting up something municipal from the hotel room.

    MaoChan on
  • babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    QuickSnap wrote: »
    Not a damn thing.

    The only "special privileges" that media get are access to the media room; that's it. They don't get to cut in line and get special treatment and 1 on 1 time with exhibitors after hours. They have to wait in line and make arrangements ahead of time like everyone else at any other convention. So essentially, no, there is no applicable difference between the Media Badges and the regular attendee badges, with the exception of access to the media room. You'd be better off keeping your attendee badge.

    Not trying to be rude or anything, just making it clear what the difference is.

    I wasn't under the impression that I got anything particularly special from the media badge, except the ability to say, "No, seriously, can I just ask you a couple of questions really quick?" when I do get to the front of a line, without being laughed at.

    What I wanted to know is whether or not there was any drawback to giving away or selling my normal badge, and though you say I'd be better off keeping my normal badge, it sounds like there's no real reason to do so.

    Besides, how can I stalk Morgan Webb (if she's there this year) without my media badge? :D

    (And when it comes to getting in early -- shhhh, I usually cheat and sneak in to help out the enforcers in the BYOC room if they can use me.)

    babelfish on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm getting with a group of people to possibly get media passes as well, so this is good info for me. The 2 hours early thing would be awesome.

    BTW, you better pray that Morgan Webb is actually there, because last year it was just Adam Sessler, and it usually is only him as far as I know. Personally, I'm kinda hoping Gamespot is there.

    Also yes the whole building had free wi-fi that anybody could connect to, it was just really capped so you couldn't really do anything but web browsing, and there were a couple large developers that were hosting it for the convention center.

    Coldbrew on
    iMIIouF.png
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The only drawback I've heard to having a media badge (from what I heard around last year's PAX) is that some media folks were actually treated worse by exhibitors. However, those complaints were pretty minimal considering they were few and far between in a crowd of thousands, and often times those few complaints are far louder than the majority of praise.

    Otherwise, the media badge is superior for the 2 hour early Expo hall, the FREE cost, the separate line at Registration, secure media room with sweet hookups, and the fact that it might land you answers to your questions easier because the exhibitors/VIPs/game devs hope that you'll write something positive about them on the Internet.

    If I were you, I'd sell your 3-day pass or give it away and hold onto your media and BYOC badges.

    Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Registered User
    edited April 2009
    The free internet isn't always reliable with the billions of people using it all at one time. It's not Seattle wifi...when you go the the convention center on regular days all they have is pay-per-use.

    eye-shuh on
    Eye-Shuh - You should have won. period. I'm still in the Omegabat fan club!
  • babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    I'm getting with a group of people to possibly get media passes as well, so this is good info for me. The 2 hours early thing would be awesome.

    BTW, you better pray that Morgan Webb is actually there, because last year it was just Adam Sessler, and it usually is only him as far as I know. Personally, I'm kinda hoping Gamespot is there.

    Also yes the whole building had free wi-fi that anybody could connect to, it was just really capped so you couldn't really do anything but web browsing, and there were a couple large developers that were hosting it for the convention center.

    Morgan was there two years ago. I totally saw her during a panel.

    Anyway, thanks for the info, guys. :)

    babelfish on
  • Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    BTW, you better pray that Morgan Webb is actually there, because last year it was just Adam Sessler, and it usually is only him as far as I know. Personally, I'm kinda hoping Gamespot is there.

    Morgan Webb was at PAX, but mostly spent her time elsewhere avoiding crowds and grabbing an interview or two. I think she was only there for a day though, as she was on the PAX episodes of X-Play that aired that week, and all of her stuff could have easily been filmed Friday.
    Adam Sessler, however, was EVERYWHERE and genuinely wanted to meet fans. I may have drunkly insulted him and the show though...

    Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Adam sessler was awesome, he stood and talked to me for a while about PC room and such. Its weird when a major news person is genuinely interested in gaming things and such that they are reporting on.

    BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was with a group of people who sang Happy Birthday to Sessler last year.

    EDIT: And to keep on topic, I'll let you know this year how life is like without the media badge. (Stupid "unemployment")

    Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Has Morgan let the fame go to her head?

    She's actually a nerd at heart, too, though maybe it's buried way down deep, these days. If you remember her on The Screen Savers, you know what I mean.

    FUCKING COMCAST, RUINING TECHTV AND G4. :(

    Sorry.

    babelfish on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Agreed. Though I still like G4, I miss the old TechTV. :P

    Coldbrew on
    iMIIouF.png
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Registered User
    edited April 2009
    This is obligatory whenever G4 and TechTV are mentioned.

    Also IMO Media badges were much more kickass in the Bellevue years. Since the Seattle era they don't really carry much weight anymore.

    ElectricTurtle on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Numquam magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit.
    There has never been a great spirit without a touch of insanity.
    (Seneca Philosophus, De tranquillitate animis)
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I for one feel that media badges really shouldn't carry much weight around PAX. I'd explain more, but I just got invited out for drinks.

    Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Since its not a media focused event....

    BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • babelfishbabelfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Qs23 wrote: »
    I for one feel that media badges really shouldn't carry much weight around PAX. I'd explain more, but I just got invited out for drinks.

    I completely agree, and I was under the impression that they didn't really offer anything different, aside from the special press room. Thus, I was basically asking, "Is there any drawback to having a media badge?"

    babelfish on
  • heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    babelfish wrote: »
    "Is there any drawback to having a media badge?"

    Here, lets end this, nope!

    heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

    http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

    www.reedpop.com
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    h_e_e_l_s wrote: »
    babelfish wrote: »
    "Is there any drawback to having a media badge?"

    Here, lets end this, nope!

    I'll make it simpler. :P

    Drawback: A few exhibitors may not like you, because PAX tends to focus more on the consumer and less on the media. (read what I said earlier)
    Drawback: You don't get to cut in lines unless specific media lines are created, such as at Registration or last year's Fallout booth. But you still have to wait in THOSE lines.
    Drawback: Many will be jealous of you because you get into the expo hall early on Friday and get to call it 'work.' BOOOOO.

    Positives: everything else.

    Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
This discussion has been closed.