As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassins '09 - Thanks for Playing! Stay tuned for PAX EAST details

• Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sumi wrote: »
    Yes, with 50k people, simplicity is the best way to go. Chaos is a relative term.

Except 50k people are not playing, just a few hundred. I agree though that the informant mechanic is cool, maybe just have a few who are designated people who all they do is go around announcing things like that, tipping off players.

MaoChan on
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MaoChan wrote: »
    Yes, with 50k people, simplicity is the best way to go. Chaos is a relative term.

Except 50k people are not playing, just a few hundred. I agree though that the informant mechanic is cool, maybe just have a few who are designated people who all they do is go around announcing things like that, tipping off players.

I wasn't assuming that everyone is playing, but finding just a few people in a crowd of thousands can be a bit overwhelming.

Plus, I usually have informants anyways who call me if they happen to see anything suspicious.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Im gonna assassinate people with a teacup and a spoon this year.

Azazel on
  • Options
    sum10fishysum10fishy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Azazel wrote: »
    Im gonna assassinate people with a teacup and a spoon this year.

Tell me how do I get eyes like that?

sum10fishy on
  • Options
    CRCelfCRCelf Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    sum10fishy wrote: »
    I believe it was a tea cup and a SPAM key...

CRCelf on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    CRCelf wrote: »
    I believe it was a tea cup and a SPAM key...

It was but close enough

sum10fishy on
  • Options
    EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ohh, I somehow missed out on this last year and will have to get in on it for '09. We used to play this in high school. I'll have to get together some of my better kills from back in the day. Though depending on the age range I wonder if condoms being given out as "Trojan horses" would go over well. *winks*

EruditeAphrodite on
    Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ohh, I somehow missed out on this last year and will have to get in on it for '09. We used to play this in high school. I'll have to get together some of my better kills from back in the day. Though depending on the age range I wonder if condoms being given out as "Trojan horses" would go over well. *winks*

Sounds like you played the same variant I used to. Those kind of tricks are not necessary in the game as played at PAX. Clever though, I like that one.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    nemaihne wrote: »
    Oooh, count me in! Last year I made two really great friends out of this game. =D

That's awesome. I didn't even FIND two people with badges.

I'm still down with this.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Count me in! It was a lot of fun last year. Didn't someone's 12-year old sister win the game in the end?

Mystral721 on
    "Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
  • Options
    SecComSecCom Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wanted to play this last year and didn't get to. As far as informants go, can you have some kind of twitter channel or something that everyone can text to? (I'm pretty unfamiliar with twitter) Then you can text a code for that person's card and where they are (like: YSQ @ Valve - in which this means yellow square at valve booth). I might not be familiar with the game enough to know if this would be helpful or not, but a problem with the game seems to be that it would be very hard to spot your target without a network of help.

SecCom on
    Lead Editor of http://fullnovazero.com We like to write about video games.
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Mystral721 wrote: »
    Count me in! It was a lot of fun last year. Didn't someone's 12-year old sister win the game in the end?

Yeah... that was my sister. She's registered on these forums too, but she doesnt frequent them (MacCartney). She was really into it, like everywhere we went she was looking for people with badges. It was only minutes before the game ended where she was one kill behind me, and she found another target... unfortunately when she killed that target, her target was then me. lol. So yeah, she got first, and I got second... which I think is pretty good for not trying too hard.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    SecCom wrote: »
    I wanted to play this last year and didn't get to. As far as informants go, can you have some kind of twitter channel or something that everyone can text to? (I'm pretty unfamiliar with twitter) Then you can text a code for that person's card and where they are (like: YSQ @ Valve - in which this means yellow square at valve booth). I might not be familiar with the game enough to know if this would be helpful or not, but a problem with the game seems to be that it would be very hard to spot your target without a network of help.

If I get a text every time one of the players sees another, I am going to have a hell of a lot of texts to go through at the end of the day. Yes, it would be helpful, but also annoying, especially since my phone company now charges for incoming texts, and I can only imagine what the roaming charges would be.

I suppose I could just not sign up for the twitter but then I'm kind of at a disadvantage.

And as I understand, Mars is working very hard to make targets easier to find. It will definitely be different from last year.

Sumi on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I still think if there is some kind of informer thing, that it will be only say a few people who are not playing as Assassins but instead are people you could opt to follow on Twitter who's job is to shout out when they see targets that are prime for killing.

"ATTENTION!!! Sumi @Rock Band Beatles jamming out. Easy headshot."

MaoChan on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

If I get a text every time one of the players sees another, I am going to have a hell of a lot of texts to go through at the end of the day. Yes, it would be helpful, but also annoying, especially since my phone company now charges for incoming texts, and I can only imagine what the roaming charges would be.

I suppose I could just not sign up for the twitter but then I'm kind of at a disadvantage.

And as I understand, Mars is working very hard to make targets easier to find. It will definitely be different from last year.

I think SecCom was more talking about texting into a twitter page or something if you wanted to inform and then you could check it if you wanted too.

sum10fishy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I still think if there is some kind of informer thing, that it will be only say a few people who are not playing as Assassins but instead are people you could opt to follow on Twitter who's job is to shout out when they see targets that are prime for killing.

Lol, then what happens when I "assassinate" said informant? (meaning I bind them with duct tape and hide them in the bathroom stall.)

Sumi on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well if I am one then I say good freaking luck with that. ;)

MaoChan on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Lol, then what happens when I "assassinate" said informant? (meaning I bind them with duct tape and hide them in the bathroom stall.)

1122941125_ffQuagmire.jpg

..."JACKPOT!"

Sumi on
  • Options
    eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, relying on Twitter is a very bad idea. We're going to be partying with the fail whale all weekend. I invited 50,000 of our closest friends.

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I think SecCom was more talking about texting into a twitter page or something if you wanted to inform and then you could check it if you wanted too.

Yea this is sort of what I was thinking, I wouldn't want to get a thousand texts during PAX either. Again, I'm pretty much a Twitter nub, so I might just be blabbing about nothing.

You need some sort of information though, spotting a random person I know nothing about in a crowd of what's probably going to be 60k+ is going to be nigh-impossible. If you know some sort of checkpoint that said target needs to go to or is already at, then things will be a little more interesting, plus exciting, I like the idea of looking over my shoulder to make sure nobody is creeping up on me :)

SecCom on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Yea this is sort of what I was thinking, I wouldn't want to get a thousand texts during PAX either. Again, I'm pretty much a Twitter nub, so I might just be blabbing about nothing.

You need some sort of information though, spotting a random person I know nothing about in a crowd of what's probably going to be 60k+ is going to be nigh-impossible. If you know some sort of checkpoint that said target needs to go to or is already at, then things will be a little more interesting, plus exciting, I like the idea of looking over my shoulder to make sure nobody is creeping up on me :)

sounds more like the job of a hashtag to me... #paxassassins09

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    That's a long hashtag.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    That's a long hashtag.

yeah lol, well originally i had #paxass09 but then I was like... wait a minute... lol.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    #thegameofassassinsorganizedbythepaforumstobeplayedatthetwothousandninepennyarcadexpoinseattlewashingtonbyfunfellowsswhofancyajollygoodtime

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    MarsCheliosMarsChelios Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    #thegameofassassinsorganizedbythepaforumstobeplayedatthetwothousandninepennyarcadexpoinseattlewashingtonbyfunfellowsswhofancyajollygoodtime

Ah man, it's taken!

MarsChelios on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

GOD DAMN IT!! Now there's milk coming out of my nose.

sum10fishy on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    LTAcosta wrote: »
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    That's a long hashtag.

yeah lol, well originally i had #paxass09 but then I was like... wait a minute... lol.

That's reserved for the PAX dating service.

redhalo on
  • Options
    AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Haha rehalo.

The biggest problem i see with rely on Twitter phone updates or texts is that not everyone has unlimited texting. Informants could be fun, but may not be worth the trouble of trying to set up a system.

Azazel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Haha rehalo.

The biggest problem i see with rely on Twitter phone updates or texts is that not everyone has unlimited texting. Informants could be fun, but may not be worth the trouble of trying to set up a system.

ahaha indeed.

and as I've said before, it puts some people at a disadvantage. If you have unlimited texting or have access to a computer, you have an edge on those of us that don't.

Sumi on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Haha rehalo.

ahaha indeed.

and as I've said before, it puts some people at a disadvantage. If you have unlimited texting or have access to a computer, you have an edge on those of us that don't.

I know I'm gonna sound a little naive here, but I don't really know anybody without unlimited texts, its a much cheaper alternative to calling people all the time, and if you don't already have this on your phone plan then I don't know what you're doing.

That said I still don't like receiving millions of texts all the time....

So I think I might be able to make better suggestions if I knew how people actually found each other last year...I've heard a bit about teams and whatnot and I'd like to know more about how that went about.

SecCom on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Haha rehalo.

ahaha indeed.

I know I'm gonna sound a little naive here, but I don't really know anybody without unlimited texts, its a much cheaper alternative to calling people all the time, and if you don't already have this on your phone plan then I don't know what you're doing.

That said I still don't like receiving millions of texts all the time....

So I think I might be able to make better suggestions if I knew how people actually found each other last year...I've heard a bit about teams and whatnot and I'd like to know more about how that went about.

Umm...

Obviously not EVERYONE has unlimited...

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Umm...

I really don't think there will be a viable solution for everyone unless carrier pigeons are used but for the people who can use twitter or something like it, then they get a leg up. Sure that might make it a little uneven in terms of playing field but hey, no one said you couldn't get unlimited texts.

I just see it as a way to get the game a little more active and exciting if possible rather than while in line "oh random dude walking the other way in line ...... you dead."

MaoChan on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Umm...

I really don't think there will be a viable solution for everyone unless carrier pigeons are used but for the people who can use twitter or something like it, then they get a leg up. Sure that might make it a little uneven in terms of playing field but hey, no one said you couldn't get unlimited texts.

I just see it as a way to get the game a little more active and exciting if possible rather than while in line "oh random dude walking the other way in line ...... you dead."

I have unlimited texts, but I'm Canadian. It doesn't count in the states because of roaming charges. Maybe this is viable though, I am just going to look at my phone record for last August (although they did change their policies since then).

As for how we found eachother last year, for me I was kind of on a team. I just told a few friends, if you see this one, call me. And I did the same for them. Also since there was 4 possible targets, I did manage to find a few of my targets, although constantly being on the lookout is kind of tiring, and stressful, always thinking your assassin is right behind you. But it definitely adds and edge to the game. :P

Sumi on
  • Options
    Sir_LagSir_Lag Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    is it too late for me to join?

Sir_Lag on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sir_Lag wrote: »
    is it too late for me to join?

My wife signed up the morning of PAX last year, so, probably not.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    Sir_LagSir_Lag Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sweet, I'm in

Sir_Lag on
  • Options
    HikariStarshineHikariStarshine Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In, of course, and just waiting for a chance to sign up officially. I would be incredibly amused if either my target or assassin at some point in the game turned out to be my assassin from last year.

Speaking of... Nemaihne, I don't think I ever found out whether you liked that game I had as part of the booty for offing me last year... or even if you played it at all?

HikariStarshine on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    In, of course, and just waiting for a chance to sign up officially. I would be incredibly amused if either my target or assassin at some point in the game turned out to be my assassin from last year.

Speaking of... Nemaihne, I don't think I ever found out whether you liked that game I had as part of the booty for offing me last year... or even if you played it at all?

Are you the one that made the REALLY bad call last year?

"you should flip over your badge." *dies* ?

Sumi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, that was him.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    HikariStarshineHikariStarshine Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yay for being the first out of the game!

But hey, at least that means that if I survive for more than one minute, I do better than I did last year.

HikariStarshine on
This discussion has been closed.