As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] Band Discussion Thread

Soda241Soda241 Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in PAX Archive
They are so bad live! They ignore everyone and just play there songs, They are so bad live, they are good on the computer, but get them live and its crap.

Soda241 on

• Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Guys look at me I have opinions and I'm on the internet look at me look at me!

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Also, don't give them hope that they haven't improved their act since last year. Not like that's possible. :P

I could say the same argument for JoCo, but that's because I just don't care for him personally. And I know a ton of people who would say the same for Freezepop, but I enjoy their live show.

omgopinions

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Soda241 wrote: »
    They are so bad live! They ignore everyone and just play there songs, They are so bad live, they are good on the computer, but get them live and its crap.

And everybody just stands around at the concerts like statues and listen to the live music like it's coming from their iPod.

So I guess it all works out.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

eh, its his opinion. it might be repetitive, slightly attention throwing and grammatically made of fail, but an opinion none the less.

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

eh, its his opinion. it might be repetitive, slightly attention throwing and grammatically made of fail, but an opinion none the less.

True, though a new thread really isn't the best place for this particular thing...

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Soda241 wrote: »

And everybody just stands around at the concerts like statues and listen to the live music like it's coming from their iPod.

So I guess it all works out.

Gamers move inside their heads. That's why they don't play outdoor sports.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    Dark OceanDark Ocean Registered User new member
    edited April 2009
    I figured that after their stunt last year delaying everyone's set by 30-45 mins, that we would not be seeing them this year.

Dark Ocean on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »

True, though a new thread really isn't the best place for this particular thing...

this, wholeheartedly this

also, on the 30 minute delay, that's pretty common at every concert, ever, with the exception of small local bar sets, which don't really have any wiggle room at all.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    LaneLane Registered User new member
    edited April 2009
    I have high hopes they'll do amazing, especially after dropping their new album. They would be perfect live if we could get the shit to be balanced - Too much bass and not enough Chiptune noises coming through realllllly ruined the whole balance of their songs live.

Lane on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

this, wholeheartedly this

also, on the 30 minute delay, that's pretty common at every concert, ever, with the exception of small local bar sets, which don't really have any wiggle room at all.

But it still happens at the small local bar sets sometimes. We had a show that was supposed to start at 9)with our stuff at around 10:30), but the first band was 'tuning up' for an hour and then played for 45+, so the second band had to set up quick and throw three songs out and we started at like...midnight. Had to cut a few matches out and make others short. Fuckers.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    That happened to my cousin's band once. The opening band was about half an hour late because the bar owner told them the wrong time (he thought they were going on second, not first). They just kept playing. When they noticed they had five minutes left, they started a fifteen minute song. The house lights went up, the bar owner was trying to signal them to stop, but they just kept going. It was great.

Granted it helped that they had no interest in ever playing that bar ever again.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Their new album, Dawn Metropolis sounds much better than their live stuff from PAX08. I like chiptunes, but their set was too much noise.

Can anyone confirm if it was the guys from Anamanaguchi mixing chiptunes in front the of the convention center? Because that stuff was awesome.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    The DIMDThe DIMD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So, this'll be my first year going to PAX... is MC Frontalot like MC Chris?

Also... I know Freezepop, I think, but are most of these bands kind of nerdcore or whatever?

Anamanaguchi? What the heck do these guys sing about?

The DIMD on
    <+ACC3SS> 4chan doesn't make me cringe as much as you do, The_DIMD.
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Their new album, Dawn Metropolis sounds much better than their live stuff from PAX08. I like chiptunes, but their set was too much noise.

Can anyone confirm if it was the guys from Anamanaguchi mixing chiptunes in front the of the convention center? Because that stuff was awesome.

Nah, that was an unsanctioned sidewalk concert. Here's a little blurb on Destructoid about it.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The DIMD wrote: »
    So, this'll be my first year going to PAX... is MC Frontalot like MC Chris?

Also... I know Freezepop, I think, but are most of these bands kind of nerdcore or whatever?

Anamanaguchi? What the heck do these guys sing about?

All of the bands are nerd/video game related (huge surprise). Links to their music... some are myspace/flash players, others are downloadable mp3s:
    MC Frontalot
    Jonathan Coulton
    Paul and Storm
    Freezepop
    Anamanaguchi
    Metroid Metal

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    All of the bands are nerd/video game related (huge surprise). Links to their music... some are myspace/flash players, others are downloadable mp3s:
    MC Frontalot
    Jonathan Coulton
    Paul and Storm
    Freezepop
    Anamanaguchi
    Metroid Metal

LOL good point. I went to see Dragonforce and there was this opening band that did Metal songs about Mario and Sonic (like Rock me sexy Robotnik) and I was just curious if it was something similar.

I suppose I should have expected as much lol. I'll check out the links. Thanks :)

The DIMD on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    No One Ups or Minibosses but the new bands sound pretty good. This year is going to be a crazy concert.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Powerglove! That was the band I was thinking of...

But yeah, the bands do sound pretty fun. Thanks for the links! Too bad I'm a year to late to join in the sea of puppets though. *le sigh* lol

The DIMD on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Powerglove! That was the band I was thinking of...

But yeah, the bands do sound pretty fun. Thanks for the links! Too bad I'm a year to late to join in the sea of puppets though. *le sigh* lol

That didn't happen until the final round of the Omegathon. There was no puppet action during the concerts. Although a like minded group of people have tentative plans for something similar this year.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That didn't happen until the final round of the Omegathon. There was no puppet action during the concerts. Although a like minded group of people have tentative plans for something similar this year.

My bad. Didn't realize that.

:lol: Wow... I might just have to join in on the fun ^^. Thanks for the heads up . No way I'll be able to make my own though... I'm not artistically inclined at all.

The DIMD on
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Nah, that was an unsanctioned sidewalk concert. Here's a little blurb on Destructoid about it.

Thanks for the link, I enjoyed watching them last year but they weren't very vocal and I couldn't track any information down.

Well... hopefully Anamanaguchi is better this year, anyway. I plan on giving them another chance.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I personally can't wait to see these guys. I dig their latest album

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm looking forward to Anamanaguchi for sure. Dawn Metropolis rocks.

Also, rather the bands list is final or not, I thought I would add the OneUps will not be playing, according to Mustin. It kinda sucks, a lot... :(

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    MinjaMinja Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I personally enjoyed their show last year :P

Minja on
    katamaribanner.jpg
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Meh, they're ok...
    Not my type of music though...
    I'll be there for MC frontalot though.
    Come on where's optimus rhyme? Now THAT'S a band I would like to see at PAX. Can someone pass this message on to them? 8-) Maybe it's too late though...

Here's one of their songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTLwiccIOxI Haha, quite suiting for this situation actually...

EDIT: crap, sorry for no spoiler around the link, didn't know it would display the vid.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Optimus Rhyme was actually at PAX07, haven't ever heard of them coming back since then though.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    aw dang, cuz that would be epic if they did come to PAX '09

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Notice on the PAX site, there is still room for three bands...

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Optimus Rhyme was actually at PAX07, haven't ever heard of them coming back since then though.

thats because afaik they are still broke up.

Serenity:
    You must be new here becuase they were at every pax up until last year :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    neuroslice wrote: »

They need to get Powerglove... man that band was hilarious. Plus, who doesn't like metal renditions of their childhood video games?

The DIMD on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    neuroslice wrote: »

They need to get Powerglove... man that band was hilarious. Plus, who doesn't like metal renditions of their childhood video games?

See: Metroid Metal

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, that sounds pretty cool... the only thing that turns me off of it slightly would be that it's just metroid theme reinterpretations. Not that I didn't love those games growing up, but there were plenty of others I enjoyed more.

The DIMD on
  • Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The NESKimos need to come back to PAX.

One good reason why

Optimus Rhyme and Broken English was a very good group. I have somewhere a video of the lead from O.R., playing on a Ocarina in 07'.

Highfire on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I didn't care for the NESkimos too much at PAX07, but I wouldn't mind seeing them again. I like the Star Wars intro they did.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    BigRed wrote: »

thats because afaik they are still broke up.

Serenity:
    You must be new here becuase they were at every pax up until last year :P

How did you know? Yeah my first time actually attending, but I've been following PAX for their last 2 years... Just never actually had the chance to go...
    Sad really, living in British Columbia and all.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    Prof. PanglossProf. Pangloss Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Am I the only one disappointed by no mention of Darkest of the Hillside Thickets yet? They totally rocked my socks, and is the album I listen to the most that I bought at PAX last year.

Prof. Pangloss on
  • Options
    QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, I'm not disappointed by no Thickets.
    Serenity wrote: »
    How did you know? Yeah my first time actually attending, but I've been following PAX for their last 2 years... Just never actually had the chance to go...

Pffft. Living in B.C. is great. You get to be in an adjacent province/state to PAX, AND you still get to be Canadian.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    QuizMaster wrote: »
    Well, I'm not disappointed by no Thickets.
    Serenity wrote: »

Pffft. Living in B.C. is great. You get to be in an adjacent province/state to PAX, AND you still get to be Canadian.

Yeah being Canadian is great! BC's pretty awsome too. Mildest weather ever...
    Only thing I don't like about being Canadian though are our rude neighbors :P Yes I'm generalizing and no I didn't mean you guys... 8-)

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm a little off put, by Freezepop coming back this year. They're not very good live.

Highfire on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm mostly disappointed by the band roster altogether so far. None of these bands interest me except for maybe MC frontalot...
    Come on PAX get some more bands!

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
This discussion has been closed.