As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What is your most absurd belief?

Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Here's where I got the idea from.

What is your most absurd belief? By that I mean what is the belief you hold that, if you tell it to other people whom you respect, they would think is absurd?

I suppose I should go first.

I have many beliefs that I've glommed onto for, I think, various reasons. I'm a kind of introspective person and I like it when I'm able to find a trail that my intuitions have led me on, and then take a notably counter-intuitive rout. Many people think these are absurd. Some people may recall me talking about panopticons, plastic surgery, immigration, evolutionary psychology, and believe it or not, I used to be the go-to guy for anti-religion tirades (fortunately for this thread, too many people I respect agree with my orthodox position on that last one, so it's not absurd). A sneak preview of future absurdity from me is my belief that the current authoritarian Communist Chinese government is one of the most significant forces for good the world has ever seen. But that's just a sneak preview.

Main event:

I believe that science should be established as a religion. That's somewhat of a vague way to put it, but essentially, my view of religion is that, by and large they're not so hot, mostly because of the content and epistemology contained therein. That said, religions are compelling. They tap into some pretty primal intuitions that humans have, they provide communities, they provide ritual, and I see no reason that a perfectly reasonable faith* could be established. I believe that scholarship and reasonableness and skepticism are worth revering, but not in the way that Humanism goes about it. I think the fruits of science are things that adherents of science the religion can feel proud of.

In the sense of the myriad other faiths having the audacity to declare themselves as having a special relationship to truth, I believe scientific adherents should do the same.

1. confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
4. belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.: to be of the same faith with someone concerning honesty.
5. a system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.
6. the obligation of loyalty or fidelity to a person, promise, engagement, etc.: Failure to appear would be breaking faith.
7. the observance of this obligation; fidelity to one's promise, oath, allegiance, etc.: He was the only one who proved his faith during our recent troubles.

Now, my absurd belief isn't really fleshed out. To be honest, I haven't thought about it for a while. I might come back and have a follow up post about it later.

But enough about me. What is your most absurd belief? And please, explain!

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
Loren Michael on

• Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I can convince Thanatos to stop hating cops.

GungHo on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I will one day break free from the confines of matter and energy and celebrate by only playing video games powered only by my awesomeness.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    GungHo wrote: »

You win the thread.

But no really, my most absurd belief is to always believe in the unreasonable because if we all agreed what's the point? But it gets me into trouble if I paddle against the stream a lot.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, this is pretty absurd.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Believing I succeed in not believing in absurd things.

Dman on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fuck science. I want to know why you think the Chinese regimes have been one of the greatest forces for good.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    One day I will walk on Mars.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I really don't see any value in having absurd beliefs. They're inherently wasteful. Desires, sure, they can drive you to get near, but beliefs?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    bowen wrote: »

You win the thread.

But no really, my most absurd belief is to always believe in the unreasonable because if we all agreed what's the point? But it gets me into trouble if I paddle against the stream a lot.

I'm not really clear what your belief is.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That people are fundamentally good and not out to screw me over.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fuck science. I want to know why you think the Chinese regimes have been one of the greatest forces for good.

Show me your goods first, you fucking prude.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yes, but wasn't his point that people find his beliefs absurd and he can recognize that they do, even though he finds them normal? So really he doesn't have absurd beliefs. He has quite normal, rational beliefs, according to his logic and perspective.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    That people are fundamentally good and not out to screw me over.

This, except the bad ones are causing so much damage it creates the illusion of many people.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I believe that I am so good at predicting future outcomes that it borders on precognition!

I also believe your mom jokes are the funniest things in the world. especially when they make no sense.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    While I don't feel it is particularly absurd, I always catch at least a little flak when it's revealed I don't believe in a persistent self.

Teleportation and time travel threads are always terrible.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I believe the Singularity as described by the prophet Raymond Kurzweil will arrive within my lifetime and I will be free from the meaty shackles of my body.

No, OK, that's more of an absurd hope.

I believe humans can be the caretakers of life on Earth if we can find a way live on it without destroying it as much as we do today. We take wonder in the smallest and largest of creatures, and we have an (I think) instinctual desire to care for the babies and elderly of many many species.

Tam on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Quantum Immortality.

I'm gonna live forever, you just won't be able to tell.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Show me your goods first, you fucking prude.

I have no issues with growing Russian influence in Central-Asia and believe it will do more to counter Islamic extremism than the already existing NATO-sanctioned missions in the region.

Also, Tupac is still alive.

RIP Biggie.

Morgenstern on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, why is the chinese government a good thing?

I mean they still call themselves the people's republic. That's just a mockery.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    bowen wrote: »

You win the thread.

I'm not really clear what your belief is.

That I like pinacoladas. Isn't it clear?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited April 2009

They've lifted untold millions out of absolute poverty? I mean, it still sucks, and I wouldn't want to breathe the air in Beijing on most days, but things have been far worse for China.

moniker on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you hold Down+B the pokeball is more likely to stay shut.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Words like people's or democratic in the name of a country generally mean that the country is the exact opposite. It doesn't work the other way round, which is a shame because It's be cool to live in a country officially called "The fascistic hellhole of the Netherlands".

Starcross on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

They've lifted untold millions out of absolute poverty? I mean, it still sucks, and I wouldn't want to breathe the air in Beijing on most days, but things have been far worse for China.

is the suppression of information and jailing of political dissidents necessary for that?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That arguing on the internet has a point.

Although in my defence, it is pretty good practice and you do learn a lot. Although finding out you're wrong is always particularly galling.

Rook on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That I'm an inherently logical person and above such petty things as superstition, jealousy and heartbreak.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

is the suppression of information and jailing of political dissidents necessary for that?

Clearly freedom of the press, speech, & the like weren't necessary for it, though one could argue whether the extent to which it had industrialized would have been better with them than without.

As for beliefs, have to be polytheism. Mostly because it's way cooler than monotheism.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    As for beliefs, have to be polytheism. Mostly because it's way cooler than monotheism.

That depends on the gods.

moniker on
  • Options
    armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My absurd "belief/hope" is that after I'm dead, I'll be frozen, and far into the future I'll be revived into a utopia.

armageddonbound on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Aegis wrote: »

That depends on the gods.

That's what makes it even more fun! You can have a whole pantheon that are separated on individual and specific categorizations of death, disease, destruction, terror, and suffering, rather than just one God that is responsible for all and lonely.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited April 2009

That's pretty much it. Insofar as methods of fucking poverty's shit up, The Party has done a bang-up job of it on a scale and a speed that defies comparison, and as such may be worth adapting and emulating to fit other impoverished areas.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i believe that humans can develope psychic powers and every now and then I try to move things.... with my mind... just to make sure i didn't develope telekinisis without realizing it.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    I believe that procrastinating and doing nothing while under stress will make the issue resolve itself.

I've been doing it since Friday on a piece of a report that was supposed to be in today, of which I have written 1% so far. And as it happens the time we have to turn it in was postponed from today to Thursday. I guess that's proof that my belief is valid. :)

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't know about myself but the guy in my sig thinks chemical castration is just super.
    If you hold Down+B the pokeball is more likely to stay shut.
    Oh come on, that's not absurd. I STILL do that shit, every damn time.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Conclusions are a byproduct of our brain structure and not a fundamental feature of a universe passing through time.

Mind can be explained with mathematical recursion applied to a parrallel interactive network.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    My most absurd belief is that humans are fundamentally good and fundamentally, more or less, equally capable of learning.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    *twitches and wanders back to his psychology report*

*twitch twitch*

kakos

no

im gone

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    My most absurd belief is that humans are fundamentally good and fundamentally, more or less, equally capable of learning.

At some point they could be, when they're born. Beyond that then yea.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That utopia is inevitable as long as we don't go extinct.

darthmix on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have two that might qualify.

My beliefs related to sexuality tend to result in instant pariahship. To sum them up, "Anything goes that doesn't cause harm". This includes non-abusive bestiality, and incest that doesn't result in children. And it's fine to fantasize about literally anything.

And for the one that generates less a squick response and more a 'Yeah right" response , I believe science
    will achieve immortality of the mind before I die. Or at least good enough brain imaging that I can be brought back eventually.

Edit: To clarify, I figure that this immortality will me achieved by making a perfect image of the brain right down to the electrons, then just running a simulation of how the electrons interact, something we already, for the most part, know. All we need is that kind of imaging, and a fuckton of processing power.

Kamar on