As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lookin' for a jerb

real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I am looking for a job for the summer in Portland. Any tips?

I have only worked a couple jobs before. This semester I've been an SU cleaner, where I clean the Student Union at my college for 2 hours once a week, and last summer I was a ride operator at an amusement park.

I've been scouring craigslist and that sort of thing, but a lot of those jobs require experience that I don't have.

real_pochacco on

• Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Restaurants, Retail Clothing Stores, and Convenience Stores.

Reckless on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am looking for a job for the summer in Portland. Any tips?

I have only worked a couple jobs before. This semester I've been an SU cleaner, where I clean the Student Union at my college for 2 hours once a week, and last summer I was a ride operator at an amusement park.

I've been scouring craigslist and that sort of thing, but a lot of those jobs require experience that I don't have.

If you have 50 - 75% of the things a job asks for, it is worth applying for. Don't let not having everything on the add stop you from applying. If a job is asking for five years or less of experience, you can probably try applying with zero experience if you fit most of the other requirements

Oh, and 75-90% of jobs are not filled from people responding to adds, so don't spend all your time in your job search on want adds and the like. Network your ass off. People get hired through connections a lot.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Haha, I'm about to come job hunt in Portland as well! (Full time, normal job though.) Good luck to you! PM me sometime and I'll make a note to pass on job postings I come across that you might be qualified for once I start in full force.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.