As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel Vs Capcom 2 Announced for 360/PS3: It's out for 360! 2 weeks for PS3 users!

RaakamRaakam Too many years...CanadalandRegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in Games and Technology
It's Official, MVC2 is coming back, and this time, to the PS3 and Xbox 360.

The game is now scheduled to for release on July 22nd. The cost has been announced at 15$ or 1200 MS points.

The game comes complete with widescreen mode, HD upscaling, no characters to unlock, Custom sountrack options and ONLINE PLAY. Unsurprisingly, there will be no rebalancing, so your Sent/Storm/Mag team will still be god-tier.

Trailer!

http://www.marvel.com/news/vgstories.7770.Marvel_vs~dot~_Capcom_2_Returns_This_Summer?flush=1

One of the most celebrated fighting games in history is coming back for another round! Check out the first teaser trailer, art and details for "Marvel vs. Capcom 2"!

Nine years after taking the arcade gaming scene by storm and over six years after making its original home console debut, "Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes" returns! Slated to hit Xbox 360's Xbox Live Arcade and PS3's PSN, expect the same fast, furious and fantastic gameplay you loved with even more awesome online head-to-head action!

PS3 owners rejoice! You will get first dibs at MVC2 as the demo will be PS3 only!
This Thursday, April 30, PlayStation Network users will enjoy a free, exclusive MVC2 demo! No need to purchase another game, just download it straight to your PS3 and get ready for some triple tag team action (A big thank you goes out to Rommel Hernandez who helped make this exclusive demo possible).

Here are the details of the demo:

* Two-player local matches
* Six available characters – Ryu, Chun-Li, Strider, Spider-Man, Iron Man and Wolverine
* Seven selectable environments
* Upscaled 1080p graphics
* Widescreen or 4:3 aspect ratio
* Two graphic filter options for character sprites
* And other cool options to check out

Lengthy information on MVC2 found at http://www.capcom-unity.com/sven/blog/2009/04/27/wheres_yo_curleh_mustache_yes_mvc2_is_real
In what will inevitably go down as the worst kept industry secret in recent years, I’m very happy to finally be able to confirm that Marvel vs. Capcom 2 will be coming to Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network this summer.

The deal took a good while but it’s probably our most requested title to bring back, so Marvel and I and a few other people here at Capcom rolled up our sleeves and got it done. I can’t stress enough, if you ask for something loudly enough and long enough, we’ll work very hard to make it happen.

So while you may have been able to surmise that something was going on with MvC2, we do still have a few surprises up our sleeves. Let me tell you a little more about how and why this version of MvC2 will be the definitive version.

1. It’s based on the Dreamcast code base – While the PS2 and Xbox versions of MvC2 were great, there are a few niggling issues in them that have caused the competitive community to continue using the Dreamcast version of the game. We wanted to bring you the very best version of the game, so we listened to the community and started with the Dreamcast.

2. There is online – With the game being developed by Backbone, we are using largely the same, critically acclaimed net code that we used in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix and with that will come our player match quarter mode/lobby system that has proven so popular. Naturally leaderboards and some form of stats tracking (details to be provided at a later date) will also be in the mix. So on the net code side, you’re pretty much assured the best fighting game net code ever created for consoles.

3. HD upscaling options – Given that most people play Xbox 360s and PS3s on HD TVs, it’s important to help make the game look better. We’ve refined our real-time sprite filtering to use even more advanced techniques and we’re providing two upscaling options for the sprites… one we’ve termed “Crisp” the other we’ve termed “Smooth”. It’s a matter of personal preference for which one you’ll enjoy more. For purists, if you’d like you can use the “Classic” setting, which leaves the sprites completely unfiltered. Because the filtering is applied in real-time, you can change these settings on the fly, mid-match if you choose. Our producer will be showing you some comparison screenshots in the coming days to better clarify the differences. The backgrounds in MvC2 are all 3D, and when rendered at higher resolutions look fantastic. The original textures and assets from the Dreamcast were actually much higher quality than the Dreamcast could really display at the time and when shown in HD, the impact is really quite amazing.

4. Widescreen – Again, with most people playing on HD displays, we wanted to figure out how to implement widescreen support. To do so, the camera field of view was widened (which we’re able to do because of the 3D backgrounds effectively running off the “edges” of the 4:3 scenario) and there are a few camera tricks that minimize any impact on the gameplay. Play area is unchanged, and this is not a zoom and crop like HD Remix was. To put it simply, the gameplay area will be in a 4:3 field, while the viewing area will be widescreen. At the same time, for purists and competitive play, a 4:3 option (with vertical bars on the left and right) still exists.

5. No unlocking – While we love giving people unlockables in games, for this outing, there’s not a lot of surprises in terms of what characters are in the game. All 56 characters will be unlocked at the start for immediate play, again great for tournament play where players won’t need to mess with save game data or hacked versions (/shame).

6. Music Options – We love MvC2 but the original “jazzy” music has long been criticized even by ardent fans. Independent music volume controls and support of custom soundtracks on PS3 and 360 we deemed an important feature. Purists will still have what they love and fans of customization are also served.

And as an added bonus, some of you will get to play it sooner than you think. The US PlayStation network will have the demo available for download this week (Europe’s PSN should follow not far after). Surprise. :)

Now that it's announced, if you'd like to see the trailer in HD or a few other nifty little things, head over to www.tu4ar.com after 6PM PST tonight. Lastly, we'd love to hear your thoughts in the Marvel vs. Capcom 2 Forums, so please do come and participate. I hope you're all looking forward to it as much as we are.

F the Knicks...

-Sven

If you want to check out the difference between Crisp, Smooth and Classic, check the following links:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/jimmyrey/blog/2009/04/27/so_now_i_can_talk_about_the_gameits_mahvel_baby

http://kotaku.com/5230501/marvel-vs-capcom-2-old-graphics-vs-new-graphics

Reports of hands-on experience with the game:

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/695056/TheFeed.html?utm_source=g4tv&utm_medium=twitterblog&utm_campaign=twitterblog_thefeed&intcid=twitterblog_thefeed

Tons of new gameplay videos added to http://www.gametrailers.com/index.php

OP will be updated as more information becomes available.

Links to check:

www.shoryuken.com
www.tu4ar.com
www.capcom-unity.com
www.gametrailers.com

Obligatory link to the Yipes video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZZUMjoxfZA

For those who want to learn some solid combos:

ROM Infinite

Ironman Infinite

Storm infinite vs Sentinel

My padherder
they don't it be like it is but it do
Raakam on

• BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Do we know if its HD? Online component isn't too enticing. Especially with the 360 remote

BlindPsychic on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fuck yes.

Buying this so hard once it's out. Glad I can finally play it again without forking over lots of cash.

Slicer on
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm positive it's in HD, but I'm also positive it's not "redone" in HD like SSFHDRemix was. It's the same old game you know and love/hate on XBLA.

Allforce on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's HD in the sense that it's been run through an eagle filter, like most other XBLA ports. Though it looks like they at least upscaled the UI.

Anyway, I don't know. I'm glad they're putting more fighters on there, but I got sick of the game 9 years ago.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • NodNod Registered User new member
    edited April 2009
    I'm excited for the opportunity to use my incredible character switch spam technique/get stomped by the CP on the third stage let alone another human player.

Nod on
  • AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Hopefully the price point isn't too crazy.

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Considering how long it took for SFIIHD to come out don't count on this being anything but a port with online.

Kyougu on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I kinda wish they'd touch it up a little (maybe removing the shitty MvC2 stages and music and adding in the stages and music from MvC1, MvSF, XvSF, MSH, XMCOTA, and maybe SFA while they're at it), but I doubt they will.

Daedalus on
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm calling it on the first page, 1600 rapebux.

Allforce on
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ehhh pass. I'll stick with the Dreamcast version.

Its hilarious though, if its still the same Morrigan sprite, that thing is what, 20 years old now?

BlindPsychic on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh Fuck yes.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Daedalus wrote: »
    I kinda wish they'd touch it up a little (maybe removing the shitty MvC2 stages and music and adding in the stages and music from MvC1, MvSF, XvSF, MSH, XMCOTA, and maybe SFA while they're at it), but I doubt they will.

God yes. One of the reasons I prefer MvC1 over 2.

Kyougu on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    aBlank wrote: »
    prolly not the thread for this, but meh.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/695056/TheFeed.html?utm_source=g4tv&utm_medium=twitterblog&utm_campaign=twitterblog_thefeed&intcid=twitterblog_thefeed

mvc2 hands on.

TL/DR version:

Netcode/lobbies same as HD remix
    no rebalancing
    all characters unlocked from the beginning (no store?)
    basically the dreamcast version ported over now with online multi

stealin' posts.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited April 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

mvc2 hands on.

TL/DR version:

no rebalancing

stealin' posts.

This makes me very very happy.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

edited April 2009

mvc2 hands on.

TL/DR version:

no rebalancing

stealin' posts.

Now when are they going to do that to SFIV? :(

TheStig on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    hmmm. I was really excited for this, but with a working Dreamcast and a copy of it there, with a better D-Pad, I actually may find myself skipping this...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

mvc2 hands on.

TL/DR version:

no rebalancing

stealin' posts.

makes me sad.

delphinus on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    After several weeks of hints and teasers discovered by GAF, I'm happy that this has finally gotten confirmation.

How happy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqGsxwQpa_g

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • SkyeSkye Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man I can't wait to get beat by Lagneto :lol:. Seriously though, I've never really learned this game and maybe now I'll have the chance to learn (read: get my face beat repeatedly) from people.

Skye on
  • JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Changing my xbl quote to "hyper viper beam" so people know what Im bringin to the table.

Jubeh on
    edited April 2009
    PS3 demo later this week (haha xbox)
    http://www.capcom-unity.com/sven/blog/2009/04/27/wheres_yo_curleh_mustache_yes_mvc2_is_real

also stolen from aBlank

TheStig on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Looks like I'm finally going to get to own this. I have the PSX version of MvC and I used to play the DC version of MvC2 rather often before a friend of mine moved away. I suck ass at fighters, but it was one of the few that I still enjoyed playing despite my total lack of skill.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Need arcade stick so bad!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm just glad it's getting lobbies. Dover, you plan on hosting tourneys for this too? :0

aBlank on
    edited April 2009
    It's just too bad that the Xbox's shit-tastic d-pad once again means that I'll be sticking to the PS3 for all 2D fighters.

MvC2 had a terrible soundtrack, but it looks like this version will have remixes, so it should compensate for lack of a custom soundtrack option.

edited April 2009
    Need arcade stick so bad!

Oh man, they're hard to find right now. It's about to get impossible soon.

TheStig on
  • dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    damn, im so glad this isnt just a rumor anymore...

it was be so damn cruel if this was april 1st too...

should be an awesome as shit summer though.

we've got HD remix now, Sf4, MvC2, and BlazBlue slated for this june.

i think King of Fighters 12 is shooting for this year as well.

all we need now is a port of Capcom vs SNK 2 and were fucking candy.

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, there goes my free time...

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yay lobbies!

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
    edited April 2009
    dav3yb wrote: »

I'd kill a man for that.

TheStig on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I guess my friend was right about the tu4ar thing, damn.

This is good news though. I didn't play it too much but even I need my fix.

Edit - Seconding the "kill a man for Capcom vs. SNK 2" sentiment.

Henroid on
    edited April 2009
    I love this game so much, if for no other reason than to have hilarious teams.

Its just like.. I wonder what would happen if there was a team with Roll, servbot.... and... JUGGERNAUT.

Hells ya.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

edited April 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    I guess my friend was right about the tu4ar thing, damn.

This is good news though. I didn't play it too much but even I need my fix.

Edit - Seconding the "kill a man for Capcom vs. SNK 2" sentiment.

It's not loading for me, I guess the site is getting hammered.

TheStig on
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This is my favorite MvC2 video, even better than the Yipes one.

Best Fighting game in history

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm irritated that you don't have to unlock characters, I enjoyed playing through the game a bunch of times with all the different characters to unlock others.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    dav3yb wrote: »

Add to that King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match and the possibility of Garou: Mark of the Wolves (confirmed Japanese release on 360 this year) and it's one damned fine year to like 2D fighting games.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
    edited April 2009
    Wasn't there supposed to be some new, final edition of Guilty Gear X2 with an expanded story mode or something?

How about putting that on PSN and XBL?

• CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm irritated that you don't have to unlock characters, I enjoyed playing through the game a bunch of times with all the different characters to unlock others.

Seriously? MvC 2 had the worst fucking unlock system ever. It took aaaages to get everything. Honestly, nobody should have to go through arcade mode more than one time, especially when there's online play. Unlocking characters in SF4 was bad enough; this game is like 5 times worse.

Although truth be told, I'm not a big fan of the game in the first place. I'd probably be a lot more open to rebuying it if they went the extra mile with the aesthetics. Bring back individual character themes and backgrounds, and I'd buy it in a second. Most characters in the game already have both, and those that don't can just use the default stages/music.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, I was hoping for MvC2 HD Remix.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

edited April 2009
    Man, I was hoping for MvC2 HD Remix.

I was hoping for a game that could come out this century.

TheStig on