As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I need to relearn how to tie a tie.

EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm embarrased to admit this, but until this January, I worked as a programmer for six years, and there, it was considered "overdressed" if your shirt isn't full of holes. But I'm starting a temp job tomorrow, and it requires, among other things, a tie. I need to relearn how to do so, preferably with clear details or a video demonstration, and since I just learned about this job today, I didn't have time for an easier method. Where can I find some information, or can any of you help me yourselves?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
EmperorSeth on

• Options
    The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's the Half Windsor knot.. which is my preferred knot for use on the job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FppCJ46C31A

The LandoStander on
    Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This is the one I always use...it has videos and diagrams galore. I'll spare you the "let me google that for you" link, but for future reference it's the first hit if you google "how to tie a tie." :)

http://www.tie-a-tie.net/

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow night. If I don't get back to you, assume I somehow managed to strangle myself.

EmperorSeth on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Consider a clip on or one of those shirts that comes with the tie already tied if all else fails.

Saddler on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Saddler wrote: »
    Consider a clip on or one of those shirts that comes with the tie already tied if all else fails.
    No. No no no. This looks super tacky. Those shirts that come in boxes with ties are more often than not some garish off-color.

Shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes max to learn how to tie a reasonably ballin' half windsor.

JAEF on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    JAEF wrote: »
    Saddler wrote: »
    No. No no no. This looks super tacky. Those shirts that come in boxes with ties are more often than not some garish off-color.

Shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes max to learn how to tie a reasonably ballin' half windsor.

Yeah, these things are cool when you're a kid, but if you want to look professional (or hell, nice in a tie, you really should learn to time one yourself.

Like the above poster mentioned, it'll take no time at all to learn the knot and the lenght you need to tie that knot at.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    DeadspaceDeadspace Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I recommend that tie-a-tie.net someone posted earlier. But I'd go for a full windsor... you do it right and get the lil nub in the middle and pimp'n... well at least it looks professional and wont come undon as easy as a half windsor. I wear ties all the time for work.. ok at least once a week or two.. and I prefer a full.

Deadspace on
    "War Within, War Without, War Unending." catechism of the Space Wolves 13th Chapter.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Good god.

A half windsor is a mis-weighted knot.

Spend the extra 20 second a tie a real windsor.

Blake T on
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    Good god.

Asymmetrical knots are quite fashionable these days, though, particularly the four-in-hand.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I believe you need a wide spread collar for a full windsor to look right.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Try learning the Windsor first, then once you've done that, you can always learn the others. Just a couple of weeks ago, I had no idea how to tie a tie. Then I grabbed this video, stood in front of the bathroom mirror and watched and practised it semi-obsessively until I knew the movements by heart (took me around twenty minutes to get to that point). That said, I still haven't figured out how to tighten it properly, although that may be because I just suck at thin ties.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    Good god.

Asymmetrical knots are quite fashionable these days, though, particularly the four-in-hand.

I'm going to try the four-in-hand out next time for work.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Remember to reverse everything you've ever learned if you're a Leftie.

We are not second-hand citizens! :)

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

I just learned that I've been tying a Four-in-Hand and calling it a Half Windsor my entire life.

I've gotta call my Dad now.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    4 in hand knots and Pratt knots are the easiest to tie.

However full-Windsor exudes confidence. Best bet, tie something you know so you do it properly, or just practice until you're good. Half-Windsor is just slightly smaller than a full, same basic knot though. All of this is based on the fabric of the tie though. 4-in-hand works best on high quality, or thick ties.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I dislike windors for the size of the knot. I want the attention on the length of the tie, not a huge knot at the top.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Windsors are awfully gaudy, I agree.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What the fuck have I been tying all my life? I just realized it's basically some bastardized knot.

*searches to find what his tying method is called*

edit: It was the four in hand. simplest, I think.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Septus wrote: »
    I dislike windors for the size of the knot. I want the attention on the length of the tie, not a huge knot at the top.

Full Windsor's are not necessarily all that large if tied correctly. Methinks that you are simply thinking of the douchebags who purposefully don't tighten the knot. Evidence of a good looking windsor is as follows.

thedarkknightpic11.jpg

Personally though I still prefer the Pratt as I can get it to look like a full windsor, and just as symetrical, without having to be so dutiful in tightening the knot.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Pratt is a great first knot. It's the one I prefer.

bowen on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

This.

I don't wear a tie often enough that I forget how to tie it every time, so I always Google this site when getting dressed.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Seriously, people, half-windsor? Fuck that. Four-in-hand. It's the working man's knot. It exudes down-to-earthness, and a far more socially open front. Plus, you can learn to tie it in about a minute, and it's easy to do without a mirror (I can actually do it blindfolded).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also, the asymmetry of it should be hidden by the collars.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And I will reiterate that zipper ties, clip-ons, and the shirts with the ties on them are totally classless. May as well grow a mullet.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Seriously, people, half-windsor? Fuck that. Four-in-hand. It's the working man's knot. It exudes down-to-earthness, and a far more socially open front. Plus, you can learn to tie it in about a minute, and it's easy to do without a mirror (I can actually do it blindfolded).

It's all about the shirt collar. A four-in-hand can get lost if you use it with some shirts.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Pratt will work in those open collar situations.

bowen on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

It's all about the shirt collar. A four-in-hand can get lost if you use it with some shirts.

And the quality of the fabric, as mentioned earlier. Many inexpensive ties with thinner, lighter fabric look silly with four-in-hand knots.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Six wrote: »

And the quality of the fabric, as mentioned earlier. Many inexpensive ties with thinner, lighter fabric look silly with four-in-hand knots.

But the flip-side of this is that a nice tie will look fucking hyuuuuge with a full windsor.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The small knot is by far the easiest for beginners, and looks pretty much like a Windsor. It tends to get a little crooked but that usually doesn't matter.

Yar on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Six wrote: »

But the flip-side of this is that a nice tie will look fucking hyuuuuge with a full windsor.

True, but that can be made to look very good.

I use four-in-hands almost all the time, myself.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A half-Windsor is a good middle of the road tie for general ties and collar types. Four in hand requires a certain thickness of tie, and a full windsor requires careful tightening and a larger collar opening. Also, historically full Windsors were used by posers trying to replicate the look of of Edward VII's ties, which used thick fabric, not a Windsor knot to achieve the look. I'd say that nine times out of ten, a full Windsor knot is going to look out of place unless worn with a very nice suit.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Okay, people, good news! I'm not dead! Even better, I got the Windsor down enough to be presentable on day one. Only two learn that for day 2 on, I won't need a tie. Eh, better to err on the side of caution. Sadly, my "engine" light came on en route to work and I spent two hours getting it fixed before I could go home, but that's unrelated, unless the universe has a really weird karma system going for it.

EmperorSeth on