As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(R) Sen. Arlen Specter is switching parties

CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract MetalThingyRegistered User regular
edited May 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Sources: Specter intends to switch parties

By DAVID ESPO – 7 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Several officials say veteran Republican Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania intends to switch parties, advancing his own hopes of winning a new term next year while pushing Democrats one step closer to a 60-vote filibuster-resistant majority.

The sources said an announcement could come later in the day — or Wednesday. The officials who provided the information did so on condition of anonymity, saying they were not authorized to discuss his plans.

Specter is a 79-year-old veteran of five Senate terms, and one of only a handful of moderate Republicans left in Congress in a party made up largely of conservatives.

AP Article

This would be so awesome but somehow I think this is mostly out of self preservation and an attempt to get re-elected. Though I would say Specter has seemed more pragmatic than most in the republican party recently.

Edit: Feel free to lock if we want to discuss this in the State of the US Congress and Governorships thread.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
CommunistCow on

• Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Specter switching to D
    Republican Sen. Arlen Specter is switching parties so he can run in the Pennsylvania Democratic Senate primary, abandoning his party because he does not want to be "judged by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate."

Specter, in a Tuesday afternoon statement, said he knows his supporters will be disappointed, but says he is "willing to take all comers" in his Senate race

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I eagerly await the Republican reaction, it will be glorious!

oldmanken on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    60!!!!!!!!!!!!

We dont need to wait 2 years. fuck yes.

geckahn on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow, Cornyn is going to be pissed

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    From his official statement:
    My change in party affiliation does not mean that I will be a party-line voter any more for the Democrats that I have been for the Republicans. Unlike Senator Jeffords’ switch which changed party control, I will not be an automatic 60th vote for cloture. For example, my position on Employees Free Choice (Card Check) will not change.

This seems more than a little odd to me. He's got a history with labor, and now that he's switching being against EFCA will hurt in the primary rather than help. Wonder what he's thinking.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Wow, Cornyn is going to be pissed

Well the RNC is actively campaigning against him?

Can you blame the guy?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'll reiterate my initial comment: Holy crap.
    From his official statement:
    My change in party affiliation does not mean that I will be a party-line voter any more for the Democrats that I have been for the Republicans. Unlike Senator Jeffords’ switch which changed party control, I will not be an automatic 60th vote for cloture. For example, my position on Employees Free Choice (Card Check) will not change.

This seems more than a little odd to me. He's got a history with labor, and now that he's switching being against EFCA will hurt in the primary rather than help. Wonder what he's thinking.

Yeah this seems idiotic. Card check is down the list on priorities for me but it seems dumb to switch parties, thus burning bridges with the GOP and still refuse to budge on an issue that would help quite a bit in terms of unions.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    geckahn wrote: »
    60!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does this make sixty? Once Franken gets seated?

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'd bet he flips on EFCA. Being against it doesnt make sense any more.

geckahn on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, shit. I didn't think Specter was gonna do it.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If he does indeed become a guaranteed 60th vote, that would free up Sen. Hutchison to resign her seat and run for Governor of Texas.

I think that's a good thing. At least the Governor part. I don't know the ramifications of Democrats having the 60 votes.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I didn't think it was possible, but I think I just got more angry at Coleman.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    JebusUD wrote: »
    geckahn wrote: »
    60!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does this make sixty? Once Franken gets seated?

Yes it does.

The question is, can the Dems use this as leverage against Bayh, Nelson, etc. They won't have the excuse of needing Republicans to provide cover any more.

Gosling wrote: »
    Well, shit. I didn't think Specter was gonna do it.

Me either, this seems to come out of nowhere. Maybe he saw that 100 days was over and Obama was still in firm control?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    President Obama was informed of Sen. Arlen Specter's decison to switch parties at 10:25 this morning while receiving his daily economic briefing in the Oval Office, according to a White House official.

Obama was handed a note by an aide that read: "Specter is announcing he is changing parties."

The president reached Sen. Specter, one of only three Republicans to support his stimulus package, on the phone at 10:32 and told him "you have my full support." He added that we are "thrilled to have you."

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    Bosshog78Bosshog78 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    He'd better firm up on the right side of EFCA if he expects this to help him at all.

Bosshog78 on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    What do people think this will do to the GOP? Will any be inspired to self-reflection, or are the loyalty purges going to be redoubled?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    What do people think this will do to the GOP? Will any be inspired to self-reflection, or are the loyalty purges going to be redoubled?

haha, I think we all know the answer to that

geckahn on
  • Options
    xa52xa52 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Union influence would be too strong in a PA Dem primary for him to filibuster EFCA and still win, and as long as he's going to be a dick on this issue, there will be a primary. As long as he's just giving the GOP nom to Toomey, winning the Dem primary will be as good as a free pass to the Senate.

He likely knows all this, and this is just political bullshit. Either floating a trial balloon, or trying to scare some people over to his side in the GOP primary, or some other nonsense.

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Septus wrote: »
    I don't know the ramifications of Democrats having the 60 votes.

Filibuster proof majority. Basically they can pass legislation now, rather than have it cock blocked every day on every issue.

Because if repubs are in power it's "Lets do this bipartisan" and if it is dems then for pubs it is "lets not let them pass anything, ever," at least right now.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Somewhat off-topic, but after a reading of what seemed like a really overly-simplified explanation of the EFCA I'm a little confused. Do we have an EFCA thread?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    “I’m still at a loss,” said Soloveichik. “I don’t know if we’re going to put anything out.” The Club was taken completely by surprise and is not yet discussing the effect that Toomey’s decision may have had on forcing Specter over to the Democrats.
    I love it when they're struck dumb.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Filibuster proof majority. Basically they can pass legislation now, rather than have it cock blocked every day on every issue.

Because if repubs are in power it's "Lets do this bipartisan" and if it is dems then for pubs it is "lets not let them pass anything, ever," at least right now.

Oh I know about the filibuster, but I don't know the ramifications on specific legislative initiatives that will get through now. I don't know of any particularly bad bills that the dems are trying to push.

Septus on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    Fox News: "Highlighting the intense unpopularity of Obama's handling of the economy, support for his stimulus package among Republicans has dropped by 33% in the last day."

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Oh I know about the filibuster, but I don't know the ramifications on specific legislative initiatives that will get through now.
    Caucusing with the Dems doesn't mean always voting with them. It's not like Specter just switched brains with someone.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Fox News: "Highlighting the intense unpopularity of Obama's handling of the economy, support for his stimulus package among Republicans has dropped by 33% in the last day."
    You're absolutely joking, right?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bosshog78 wrote: »
    He'd better firm up on the right side of EFCA if he expects this to help him at all.
    He probably figures on coasting to a win in the Dem primary based entirely on name recognition and the support of the national party, knowing that the unions aren't going to support a Republican in the general.

Don't know how effective that will be, though.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    You're absolutely joking, right?

The fact that it's not obvious is hilarious.

Wait, no, what's the word?

Horrible. That's it.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Oh I know about the filibuster, but I don't know the ramifications on specific legislative initiatives that will get through now.
    Caucusing with the Dems doesn't mean always voting with them. It's not like Specter just switched brains with someone.

Nor are all Republicans guaranteed to unite on a filibuster. But that's why I said if he becomes part of the democrat bloc as a whole, trying to stop filibusters, it will increase the likelihood of bills being passed with no republican support.

Septus on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This, and Lincoln Chafee has put out feelers about switching parties to take out Carcieri in Rhode Island.

Now if only we could get Olympia Snowe to either switch or start picking real fights with the leadership. Susan Collins has been a double-agent (the bad kind) for some time; I called it before the election and cast a protest vote for Tom Allen even though I didn't like him, and the bullshit she pulled with the Swine Flu/stimulus bill was validating in an "I feel sick" sort of way. Unfortunately by 2014 I don't think it will be anything we can use against her, but still it pisses me off...

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Another aspect - what does this mean for the two Maine Senators? They have a lot less leverage now. And will this cause a trend of retirements in the GOP Senate?

Specter can now only do two things. He can be a Dem or a he can be an Independent. He can't win reelection as the latter. If he says his the former but keeps being a dick, its open primary time and without union or progressive support he's fucked.

Its not a blank check by any means. But this could have real significance and could conceivably be a tidal change.
    “I’m still at a loss,” said Soloveichik. “I don’t know if we’re going to put anything out.” The Club was taken completely by surprise and is not yet discussing the effect that Toomey’s decision may have had on forcing Specter over to the Democrats.
    I love it when they're struck dumb.
    10000225-00-10-00-00_lg.png

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The two Maine Senators are really popular, and even though Collins was involved with the pandemic thing on the stimulus bill, they're both actually quite good.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Okay, it appears that:

A) The Dems are going to basically shepherd Specter through the Democratic primary. Probably was part of the deal. (You can still run against him; you're just on your own as far as support goes.)
    B) The remaining Republicans are in a meeting; McConnell should have a statement out when that's over. That'll be fun.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    He has to be a registered Democrat in order to run in that primary. And I don't think he can run and win a statewide race in Pennsylvania as an independent against a Democrat and Toomey's crazy ass.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Oh I know about the filibuster, but I don't know the ramifications on specific legislative initiatives that will get through now. I don't know of any particularly bad bills that the dems are trying to push.

Reid would take a GOP filibuster so far up his ass it'd be like a gay Houdini

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    xa52xa52 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Bosshog78 wrote: »
    He probably figures on coasting to a win in the Dem primary based entirely on name recognition and the support of the national party, knowing that the unions aren't going to support a Republican in the general.

Don't know how effective that will be, though.

That would work in the general. It assumes no one runs against him in the primary though, which doesn't seem too likely as long as he's against EFCA, and especially since a general election against Toomey would be a walk in the park for just about any random jackass with a D after his name.

edit-
    nevermind, seems i'm falling behind

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Another aspect - what does this mean for the two Maine Senators? They have a lot less leverage now. And will this cause a trend of retirements in the GOP Senate?

Specter can now only do two things. He can be a Dem or a he can be an Independent. He can't win reelection as the latter. If he says his the former but keeps being a dick, its open primary time and without union or progressive support he's fucked.

Its not a blank check by any means. But this could have real significance and could conceivably be a tidal change.
    I think most of the senators that are gonna retire have already announced it, at this point.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The two Maine Senators are really popular, and even though Collins was involved with the pandemic thing on the stimulus bill, they're both actually quite good.
    Their unofficial "moderate Pubs" caucus has just been cut off at the knees, though. They'd have more power caucusing with the Dems and throwing in with Bayh's semi-fictional ConservaDem caucus.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    galenblade wrote: »
    President Obama was informed of Sen. Arlen Specter's decison to switch parties at 10:25 this morning while receiving his daily economic briefing in the Oval Office, according to a White House official.

Obama was handed a note by an aide that read: "Specter is announcing he is changing parties."

The president reached Sen. Specter, one of only three Republicans to support his stimulus package, on the phone at 10:32 and told him "you have my full support." He added that we are "thrilled to have you."
    At 10:45 he then called John Cornyn and gave what can only be described as a 'raspberry'.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Their unofficial "moderate Pubs" caucus has just been cut off at the knees, though. They'd have more power caucusing with the Dems and throwing in with Bayh's semi-fictional ConservaDem caucus.
    Well, until Franken is seated they still have power. And they've been doing the "moderate Pub" thing for years. That's one of the reasons they're so popular. Maine's kind of conservative, but it's still New England.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Someone needs to photoshop that asap!

JebusUD on