As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Replaced Mobo/CPU/Ram/Vid Card - not working.

WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
I recently replaced my system from this:
  • AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual core Processor 4400+ 2.31GHz
  • 2 gig SDRAM
  • 32 bit vista...
  • Nvidia GeForce 7950 Gx2

To this:
  • GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P ATX AMD Motherboard
  • SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 100259L Video Card
  • AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor
  • G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Replaced all the appropriate cables (as far as I can tell) to the motherboard, I turn the power on and all of the fans are working, even the Video Card and CPU fan, but, nothing happens.

My monitor shows nothing, it doesn't give me a disconnected message, so I know i'm on the right DVI output on my card and input on my monitor. I'm getting none of those startup beeps where it detects the hardware on bootup.

I can't figure out for the life of me what I'm missing here. Everything turns on as if it's running, but i'm seeing nothing happening on my monitor and nothing seems to be happening other than everything turning on.

The other thing is that I have a SATA hard drive as the master hard that drive I boot on, and an IDE Drive I use for storage. I tried disabling, one, and then the other, to see if the conflict is there, but I haven't seen any difference.

Any ideas? Because i'm running out.

Wavechaser on

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    what power supply do you have?

Could also be bad ram. Try running it with only one stick in, then try the other one if that one doesn't work.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Using a 510W Power Supply.

I tried moving both sticks of RAM to one set ports (They are color coded), and then again back to the other color. I also tried just doing 1 stick at a time, doesn't seem to make a difference at all.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Wait a second.

I just noticed that you said it's DDR2 ram in an AM3 motherboard. I thought AM3 was DDR3 only, and AM2+ was DDR2.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Wait a second.

I just noticed that you said it's DDR2 ram in an AM3 motherboard. I thought AM3 was DDR3 only, and AM2+ was DDR2.

The Motherboard manual says it supports DDR2 RAM, in fact, the installation manual shows walkthroughs for DDR2 and doesn't even mention DDR3.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The more I mess with this, the more I am convinced it is something to do with the RAM. I even threw my old video card into the slot to see if that would fix it, nothing changed. Every single time I have video issues like this, it's inevitably something to do with the RAM.

I have no idea what I could be doing wrong though. It's brand new RAM, right out of the box, and I've tried every single combination of placement possible.

Also and odd little thing is happening. Usually powering up the computer, my keyboard lights flash on at the very least, i'm not even getting that right now for some odd reason.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    it could just be bad ram out of the box. it happens.

If you have another computer in the house that uses DDR2 I'd try pulling the ram out of that and trying it in the new system.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I wish I did.

This is so odd though. Even with the RAM completely removed, the computer is starting up and i'm not getting any error beeps.

This leads me to believe there is something else going on here.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Okay, I think I may have figured out the issue.

There are two power connections on the motherboard. One is huge, a 24 pin connecter which is already connected. The other connecter is 8 pin connecter near the processor.

I have the 24 pin connecter connected, but the 8 pin doesn't have any compatible power connectors. On my old motherboard, the secondary power was a 4 pin connecter which I do have the connector for from my power supply.

Do I need to have both of these hooked up? If I do, is there any way I can get some kind of adapter for my 4 pin connector for the 8 pin slot, or do I need to get a whole new power supply?

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well holy shit. I plugged the 4 prong power connecter into the 8 pin connection on the motherboard and it fucking worked! I can't believe it, but the BIOS is updating right now.

It was that one stupid connector that I missed.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I saw this thread and I was like "Shit, the parts I suggested better not have been DOA!"

Glad to see that you seem to have things under control. :D

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I have everything working 100% now. And god damn it's running nice and smooth. I'm still really wierded out by that one connector, but it's working fine so i'm just going to leave well enough alone.

Now all I have to do is put organize this gigantic mess of wires in my case.....

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wavechaser wrote: »
    Yeah, I have everything working 100% now. And god damn it's running nice and smooth. I'm still really wierded out by that one connector, but it's working fine so i'm just going to leave well enough alone.

Now all I have to do is put organize this gigantic mess of wires in my case.....

Zip-ties are your friend. Ask the craigslist killer.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wavechaser wrote: »

I just built my HTPC and had a similar issue, I was freaking out for several minutes when I hit the power switch and nothing would happen. I tried different cables, two different surge protectors, I was mystified. Then I realized the tiny plug for the power switch was plugged into the motherboard in the wrong place. DOH! Problem solved :)

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, it's been working flawlessly the last couple of days. Best 500.00 spent ever.

Quick question for you guys.

I have a Soundblaster X-Fi Fatl1ty card that I had in my old rid. Should I used the default card that comes on my GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P ATX AMD Motherboard, or should I switch back to the soundblaster?

The Motherboard has a Realtek audio inputs built into it, so far the sound seems pretty good, not sure if i'll be doing myself a favor or hindering myself by putting the Fatal1ty card back in. The card is about 1 1/2 years old.

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That really depends. I am an audiofiend so on-board audio cards kill me. But if you can't tell the difference don't waste a PCI slot.

urahonky on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    X-Fi is always better than realtek, even good realteks.

I LOVE the crystalizer. and the up-mix from stereo to 5.1. And the equalization.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I too, love my X-Fi. Sadly, for some reason when I have it in my system it sends it into an endless reboot cycle, so I am now stuck with Reatek.

Now, the realtek doesn't sound *bad*, but it's just not as good as the x-fi.

wunderbar on