As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NHL Thread: Happy Canada/Free Agency Day!

enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Fuck

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
enlightenedbum on

• Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Travis Moen has probably murdered Doug Wilson by now.

tofu on
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    tofu wrote: »

There's always next year.

Right?

Right?!

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sevorak wrote: »

Right?

Right?!

Lions fans have been saying that for 50 years.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Right?

Right?!

But they suck all the time. We only suck during the playoffs.

...Shit.

Sevorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Right?

Right?!

Shit.

Lions made the playoffs most years in the 90s. And promptly lost.

Except '91! When they blew out the ascending Aikman/Emmitt/etc Cowboys. And then got crushed in the NFC title game.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Right?

Right?!

Shit.

Except '91! When they blew out the ascending Aikman/Emmitt/etc Cowboys. And then got crushed in the NFC title game.

Just stop talking, I can't take it anymore!

In all seriousness though, I wasn't much of a hockey fan until moving to San Jose this year. I had watched games with friends, but it wasn't until this year that I payed much attention. But holy crap is it fun to watch. And not just when my team wins. I think I've actually found a sport that I want to follow.

I might not be around much now that the Sharks are out, but I'll certainly be following the rest of the playoffs and I'll be back in this thread in October.

Sevorak on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Right?

Right?!

Shit.

Just stop talking, I can't take it anymore!

In all seriousness though, I wasn't much of a hockey fan until moving to San Jose this year. I had watched games with friends, but it wasn't until this year that I payed much attention. But holy crap is it fun to watch. And not just when my team wins. I think I've actually found a sport that I want to follow.

I might not be around much now that the Sharks are out, but I'll certainly be following the rest of the playoffs and I'll be back in this thread in October.

Always good to have another fan :)

Also, if you get a chance, go to see a game live - it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I love going to the Shark Tank (even if it does take me an hour and a half to get there).

Seeing that game earlier in the year against the Wings (Sharks won 6-5 if I remember correctly) and Game 5 was especially awesome this season.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That 6-5 game made me really want a Wings/Sharks WCF as a hockey fan.

Though as a Wings fan, I'm glad the Sharks are gone. Talent wise, they were the scariest team.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am so fucking excited. The Chicago-Vancouver series is going to be great.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Always good to have another fan :)

Also, if you get a chance, go to see a game live - it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Heh, I was at game five on Saturday, and one against the Blues in December. December was fun, but holy shit was Saturday great, even sitting in literally the last row in the Shark Tank.

And apparently my friend and I sat next to the number 2 ice girl in the NHL, according to this. There happened to be two hot Ducks fans next to us, and then tonight I saw them coming off of the ice and did a bit of a double take.

Good times.

Sevorak on
  • Options
    VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The difference in the atmosphere of most arenas between regular season and playoff games is amazing. Being in Vancouver when Towel Power is in full force is incredible; glad to hear that similar things happen in San Jose. It's never the same when watching it on TV.

---

I too am extremely excited for this Canucks-Blackhawks series. I'll go with Vancouver in 6. Also, Detroit in 5.

Varcayn on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've been to many, many Vancouver games - including more than a few in $150 club seats - but I have never, never been to a playoff game.

Towel power would be fantastic.

edit: We started that tradition, you know. Back in '82.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    We get towels for a some regular games too!

tofu on
  • Options
    ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Glad to see another hockey fan. It really only takes going to 1 game (hopefully a good one) to hook you on it. Now go and spread the word!

Rei on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Let's go Rangers and/or Devils!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    sharks.....WTF?

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Once again, the top seeded team in the Western Conference that rolled through the regular season meets an abrupt end in the first round of the playo....WHHAAAAAAAAATTTT??? It's not the Red Wings though????

Go Wings!!

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    3v3v Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I don't think you can blame Doug Wilson for this playoff exit.

Nabby though...

3v on
    512285-1.png
    PantsB wrote: »
    Koreans 4 Gate like this
    White People 4 gate like this
  • Options
    ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    3v wrote: »

I don't think you can blame Doug Wilson for this playoff exit.

Nabby though...

I think he's referring to Moen being traded from the Ducks to the Sharks at the deadline... which probably sucks a lot for poor Moen now.

And I don't think any single person from the Sharks is really to blame, blame em all. Although Thornton and Nabby make good targets I suppose.

Rei on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    True.

One of these years I just want Joe Thornton to realize that a series is 7 games and you need to play all 7 and not wait until its to late, like game 5.

Thats if he is with the Sharks next season.

3v on
    512285-1.png
    Koreans 4 Gate like this
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's funny, because in 2006 when the Bruins traded Thorton everyone thought it might have been the worst trade ever.

The proof is in the pudding I guess.

That, and we know trading Luongo to Vancouver was the worst trade ever, unless you live in Vancouver.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't know who to cheer for in the Hawks-Nucks series...I hate them both!

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Go not-Luongo, I say.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Go Rags Go!

IHCDB is now officially known as HCDB!

We have a head coach! Look out playoff world.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    True.

One of these years I just want Joe Thornton to realize that a series is 7 games and you need to play all 7 and not wait until its to late, like game 5.

Thats if he is with the Sharks next season.

This is probably reactionary of me but I'd like to see a bunch of trades to get some new, passionate people into the lineup.

A drop in skill level maybe but a team that wants the cup, not one that forgets to show up to the playoffs.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I thought if the Sharks went out in the first and Thornton/Marleau didn't have a monster series then they would be traded.

Thornton can get a lot for a team that is already there and same with Marleau.

Doug Wilson needs to cut his loses with Patty and Joe and get something now for them.

Oh and expect Cheechoo and Ehrhoff gone too. I love Cheechoo but he just doesn't have it anymore.

3v on
    512285-1.png
    Koreans 4 Gate like this
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just want to say:

Thank god the Canucks aren't facing Detroit.

Though now I get to potentially rub into the face of one of my uncles if we beat Chicago. For a family that cheers usually for Toronto or Montreal, having a Blackhawks fan all these years was amusing until they now made the playoffs!

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I feel like everyone is way more afraid of Detroit than they should be. I'm still skeptical they can keep their shit together for two months.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Detroit's like the Yankees. You'd rather someone else shove them off with an upset than have to face them yourself.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Eh, the Yankees have been super vulnerable for years. Their rotation has sucked for the most part.

The Wings just so blatantly coasted through the regular season that I'm not willing to believe in them yet.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Eh, the Yankees have been super vulnerable for years. Their rotation has sucked for the most part.

The Wings just so blatantly coasted through the regular season that I'm not willing to believe in them yet.

I'd say the Yankees analogy was pretty on. Up until last year the Yanks were in the playoffs for what like 15-17 straight seasons and they've won a million titles. Same with the Wings, we aren't talking about recent day to day, more of the over-arching persona of the team. They always have some of the most highly touted talent and seem to coast through regular season play.

And the Wings are dangerous this year. They do seem like an uninspired machine at times, but do you want to be John Henry against the machine?

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    John Henry won is the thing that scared me. Granted, it you know, killed him.

But still.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And before the salary cap they just bought every player from around the league ensueing their legacy as Hockeys Yankees would last forever.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I thought if the Sharks went out in the first and Thornton/Marleau didn't have a monster series then they would be traded.

Thornton can get a lot for a team that is already there and same with Marleau.

Doug Wilson needs to cut his loses with Patty and Joe and get something now for them.

Oh and expect Cheechoo and Ehrhoff gone too. I love Cheechoo but he just doesn't have it anymore.

A lot of people are expecting a lot of the big names to be gone next year for one reason or another. Roenick's likely to retire, possibly Blake too. At least a few of the core players will get traded, I'm guessing Nabby included.

It's going to be to very different looking team next year. Hopefully for the better.

Anyway, I suppose I'll start backing the Blackhawks, since I share a first and last name and look a bit like one of them. One that was a Shark last year. I think that should give it away.

Sevorak on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Obviously the sharks loss can't all be blamed on one person, but damn, was it me or did we out shoot the Ducks every game (might not be every game, but certainly a majority) only to have them beat us 4/6 times? Nabokov just did not look good at all in the series aside from a few brief moments.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nabokov didn't play great, but hoestly, to me the sharks just seemed dis-interested for large chunks of the series. The Ducks imposed their will on the sharks, and it just really looked like the sharks rolled over and took it. Thorton and Marleau were invisible for most of the series, as were most of the defense. There was very little secondary scoring support.

It just looked like the sharks rolled over and died.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Too true, the Sharks were playing with no heart.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    IMHO, the Yankess of hockey are the Rangers. They are the ones always buying the most expensive superstar avaible (ie Gomez,Drury,Redden)

Anyways tonight should be a great night of hockey. i'm predicting Washington and NJ wins, altough I hope Carolina manage to pull it off.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »
    Too true, the Sharks were playing with no heart.

Yeah, pretty much.

Edit: To expand on that, we had plenty of shots, as many as 48 in game five, but not many of them were very good shots. We rarely had anyone in place for a rebound or a pass to the other side of the net, and it should have been apparent after the first game that we weren't going to beat Hiller with straight shots. Whereas Nabokov let more than a few soft shots past him.

It's certainly not all on Nabby though. The whole team played like it was summer rather than the playoffs for all but a few periods.

Sevorak on
This discussion has been closed.