As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NBC][Heroes] - Officially Cancelled. This thread is about Summer Glau now.

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Volume 4 ended last night. It was pretty terrible. So lets leave that behind us. Volume 5, titled "Redemption" will hopefully be a shot at redemption for the show. With a mid-to-late season transition of creative teams, the new creative team didn't have a whole lot to work with from the debacle left them from the previous team.

Sorry I don't have a pretty picture to stick in here as a teaser for the next season. Instead, here's a link to the final episode of volume 4 on Hulu. I advise not watching it. Its a waste of time and you will be angry afterwards.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/70222/heroes-an-invisible-thread

Lucascraft on

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If, and I mean *IF*, they can reign in the rampant stupidity of this season, then it might be awesome again.

The main problem this show has is that it really just feels like the writers are simply incapable of remembering anything that happened more than one episode ago. If they can stop ignoring obvious problems (which are rampant in the finale), stop forgetting about important plot developments, stop forcing characters to learn the same goddamn lessons every season, and trim the fat in terms of the number of characters, it can be good again.

Vincent Grayson on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I face palmed when the doors shut on the Peter/Nathan/Sylar fight. Where does all the budget money go? Hiro's stopped time scenes? I want some fights, God dammit! Cockblocks!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well .. that was kind of ... underwhelming, especially that Volume 5 outlook. So Ali Larter is back ... wohoo, big deal. And Nathan/Sylar (we should find a nickname for him, combining his two names .. like Naylar or Sythan or something like this) finds out he knows how watches work. What a let down.

Not showing the Sylar - Petrelli Brothers Tag Team fight was kinda stupid ... and bringing Sylar back by letting him be Nathan. Who the fuck ok'ed this storyline?

Whats the deal with Rebel? Why build him up so much and then not use him at all ... Same for Parkman and his painting.

Do they even keep track of what they have done in previous episodes or are they just writing this thing on the fly?

TheBigEasy on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    I face palmed when the doors shut on the Peter/Nathan/Sylar fight. Where does all the budget money go? Hiro's stopped time scenes? I want some fights, God dammit! Cockblocks!

That was so, so annoying. We saw absolutely nothing of what should have been an awesome fight. Seriously, we didn't even need to see a very super powered fight. Nathan and Peter can only fly, so if they just started punching or throwing things at Sylar, that could have been cool. Even if one of them had brought a gun, I mean c'mon. A team of paid writers can't come up with a way to make a cool, low budget fight?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I stopped watching 6 (I think) episodes into season 3. I couldn't take how bad the writing was anymore.
    I'm gonna start watching again next season, but the show really doesn't deserve it. So far there has been no payoff for watching the show, no climaxes, just a continual decline.
    Like everyone says, they need to start making them act like heroes, not whiny retards.
    And fuck Sylar.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I stopped watching 6 (I think) episodes into season 3. I couldn't take how bad the writing was anymore.
    I'm gonna start watching again next season, but the show really doesn't deserve it. So far there has been no payoff for watching the show, no climaxes, just a continual decline.
    Like everyone says, they need to start making them act like heroes, not whiny retards.
    And fuck Sylar.

Seriously, this.

NBC must have some monkey doing programming, I'll bring Kings up again because I think it needs to be mentioned. They literally don't even advertise Kings, and shuffle it around and postpone it, but Heroes, oh lawd Heroes. Gotta promote the everliving hell out of that crapfest.

I really can't see Heroes even making it through this next season, unless they *really* work on this whole "durrr what happened last episode again?" thing the writers have going on.

Amikron Devalia on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I guess my observation on last night is that NBC managed to pull off both the zenith and the nadir of the 2008-2009 viewing season within the space of two hours of television. I have no idea how one network could pull that trick off, and I guess it's something that could be applauded. Or reviled. Perhaps a combo... applaviled.

GungHo on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey, wasn't it advertised that the return of a MIA hero would turn the tide of this episode? Everyone was figuring it would be the Haitan or Claude. What the hell happened? Were they referring to Matt? Tracey?

Undead Scottsman on
  • CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    To be honest, I was actually kind of impressed with Peter in this episode. I was about to sigh in frustration thinking that President Worf was going to be powered as well, but then they managed to keep the reality of it not only enjoyable but also plausible. But I don't think the rest of the episode made up for it.

CheerfulBear on
    edited April 2009
    To be honest, I was actually kind of impressed with Peter in this episode. I was about to sigh in frustration thinking that President Worf was going to be powered as well, but then they managed to keep the reality of it not only enjoyable but also plausible. But I don't think the rest of the episode made up for it.
    Holy shit, I totally thought that too.

Would have been funny if he had Arthur Patrelli's power.

Undead Scottsman on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And fuck Sylar.

Seriously, this.

NBC must have some monkey doing programming, I'll bring Kings up again because I think it needs to be mentioned. They literally don't even advertise Kings, and shuffle it around and postpone it, but Heroes, oh lawd Heroes. Gotta promote the everliving hell out of that crapfest.

I really can't see Heroes even making it through this next season, unless they *really* work on this whole "durrr what happened last episode again?" thing the writers have going on.

You need to accept what those of us over in the T:SCC thread are having to accept; its numbers, not quality. Heroes still gets numbers. Kings doesn't, and didn't even before the network started screwing with it.

Its not monkey's throwing a dart at a wall; its monkeys looking at the demographic shares.

Raynaga on
    edited April 2009
    I wonder how Noah, Peter and Claire talked the President into letting peter do that.

"Mr. President, there's a powered guy who is going to shapeshift into you, kill you and take over your identity!"
    "Okay. What do you intend to do about it?"
    "I'm going to shapeshift into you and ambush him."
    "...Soo, you want to shapeshift into me, in order to stop someone from shapeshifting into me, because that would allow them to take over my identity?"
    ".....Yes."

"Somebody shoot this idiot."

Undead Scottsman on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man I've got like 4 or 5 more good posts in me about how awful that finale was. And I'm usually one of the optimistic apologists in here.

Yar on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wonder how Noah, Peter and Claire talked the President into letting peter do that.

"Mr. President, there's a powered guy who is going to shapeshift into you, kill you and take over your identity!"
    "Okay. What do you intend to do about it?"
    "I'm going to shapeshift into you and ambush him."
    "...Soo, you want to shapeshift into me, in order to stop someone from shapeshifting into me, because that would allow them to take over my identity?"
    ".....Yes."

"Somebody shoot this idiot."

Don't forget, they had the help of the ever trusty Rahm Emanuel.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Raynaga wrote: »
    And fuck Sylar.

Seriously, this.

You need to accept what those of us over in the T:SCC thread are having to accept; its numbers, not quality. Heroes still gets numbers. Kings doesn't, and didn't even before the network started screwing with it.

Its not monkey's throwing a dart at a wall; its monkeys looking at the demographic shares.

Yea before Kings premiered I couldn't go 30 minutes without watching an ad for it. Then it premiered and nobody watched. Hard to blame NBC for that

DesertBox on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I haven't seen the last episode yet, but this arc just seemed to meander aimlessly around the established setting for the series. Definitely sub-par.

Of course, it hasn't been the same since Season 1. I sometimes wish I could forget everything that's happened and watch those first dozen episodes again fresh.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Well .. that was kind of ... underwhelming, especially that Volume 5 outlook. So Ali Larter is back ... wohoo, big deal. And Nathan/Sylar (we should find a nickname for him, combining his two names .. like Naylar or Sythan or something like this)

Nylan?

cytorak on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2009
    And fuck Sylar.

Seriously, this.

The sad thing is that if NBC weren't in the shitter, Heroes probably would already be dead. Its ratings are really not very good, but NBC only has shows doing poorly and shows doing worse.

Aroduc on
    edited April 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    And fuck Sylar.

Seriously, this.

The sad thing is that if NBC weren't in the shitter, Heroes probably would already be dead. Its ratings are really not very good, but NBC only has shows doing poorly and shows doing worse.

Awesome time to work for an NBC affiliate. :P

Undead Scottsman on
  • TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have to ask one Question. How did Nathan die? I mean really 20 people look at his body and instead of healing him with Claire's blood their only solution was to burn him? At least 5 people at the end there have seen what Claire's blood does to people.

Topweasel on
    edited April 2009
    Topweasel wrote: »
    I have to ask one Question. How did Nathan die? I mean really 20 people look at his body and instead of healing him with Claire's blood their only solution was to burn him? At least 5 people at the end there have seen what Claire's blood does to people.

Welcome to the conversation that's been going on since the episode aired.

Basically it seems the writers are either too stupid to remember or, or have made a conscious effort to completely forget about it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think that it's apt that the title of this thread is Heroes Volume 5: "Redepmtion".

It captures a lot of what I feel about Heroes. The big picture is so right, but there are little problems everywhere.

(I'm not trying to be a dick, I really do think it's apt -- perhaps even to the point that you did it on purpose.)

GrimmyTOA on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The name of the thread is redemption because the name of the next volume is Redemption.

Lucascraft on
  • DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

They didn't burn Nathan. Only Matt, Angela, and HRG know he died and that Sylar is really Nathan. They burnt fake Sylar, the original shapeshifter guy who died a few episodes back.

I'm glad they didn't use Claire's blood, because that was stupid, but what they actually did do was just as stupid.

DesertBox on
  • CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    The name of the thread is redemption because the name of the next volume is Redemption.

Swing and a miss!

CheerfulBear on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DesertBox wrote: »

They didn't burn Nathan. Only Matt, Angela, and HRG know he died and that Sylar is really Nathan. They burnt fake Sylar, the original shapeshifter guy who died a few episodes back.

I'm glad they didn't use Claire's blood, because that was stupid, but what they actually did do was just as stupid.

I'm not saying they should have used Claire's blood (because really, I'm glad he's dead), but it would have been nice for at least one of the characters to suggest that, and have written in a reason they couldn't do so.

Vincent Grayson on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2009
    DesertBox wrote: »

I'm not saying they should have used Claire's blood (because really, I'm glad he's dead), but it would have been nice for at least one of the characters to suggest that, and have written in a reason they couldn't do so.

I mentioned it before in the other thread, but it'd have been easy to deal with too. Claire's super blood was only ever used after Mohinder pulled it out of her and did SCIENCE to it, and it would hardly take a leap of faith to say that Adam's was stronger or better thanks to a few extra centuries.

Aroduc on
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thats all so stupid though. Can't we just ignore it? Please?

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

They never burned Nathan?

That was the fake Sylar that Danko had.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And fuck Sylar.

Seriously, this.

Awesome time to work for an NBC affiliate. :P

Maybe I lived in fantasy land, but until kings had actually aired, I saw not *1* ad for it, and even then the ad I saw was right after Kings. Hell I didn't know it had moved until I tried to watch it, and it wasn't on :P

But seriously, in terms of quality alone Kings destroys Heroes by actually having a fucking plot, and sticking to it. Also its not a bad show. A show thats now gone, doomed to air its last episodes as it slowly coughs blood all over June-July.

Back to Heroes: This show really needs to die, I was previously thinking that maybe "Redemption" would be able to fix some things, but honestly, I doubt this show has a chance to do anything but continue its downward failspiral. They could possibly get away with killing everyone off but say Micah, Peter, Claire (ugh), Matt, Hiro and Ando, making them some sort of "superfriends" and sending them on wacky misadventures to kill people with powers. Thats pretty much the only thing that would save this show, though I think we all know what we're gonna get is "lol sylars back lol" and "omgz we can't kill hims, lets make some super plan up to beats him, yay!" for a season, leading up to Mohinder being batman or something else completely inane.

Amikron Devalia on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kings was advertised every other commercial break, I dunno what planet you live on. It had one hell of a hype-machine behind it, and is by all accounts a good series. But people can't/won't follow it.

But it isn't getting the ratings, so its at (or near) the chopping block.

its very easy for us fans to think of a grand conspiracy when our beloved shows don't do well. Fact is, we're the minority. Shows we like may not be what the majority does, and the majority is where the money is. Sad to say, but true to hear.

Raynaga on
    edited April 2009
    Maybe I just don't watch enough terrible shows like Law and Order.

Then again I generally just watch my recordings and skip the breaks, NBC is really a terrible network overall.

Amikron Devalia on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey, I will not have smacktalk against Jack McCoy in here.

Aroduc on
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So NAKED Ali Larter is back ...

Fixed that for ya.

Anyway, do we know if Sylar killed someone who could fly? How was he flying at the end then, and if he did, why didn't he fly before?

Also, they'll probably keep the Peter/Sylar rivalry going. In nearly every volume, except for volume 2, they've been on opposite end and at each other's throats. If anything, those two are the actual arch-nemeses of the series. My thinking is that Peter will become the new Sylar, since touching him allowed him to copy his powers, but he might have taken the hunger with it since it seems to be a side effect of the power itself (after all, Sylar's father seemed to have it, too).

Dalboz on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2009
    He's hovered around in the past with his TK. *shrug*

Aroduc on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dalboz wrote: »
    So NAKED Ali Larter is back ...

Fixed that for ya.

Anyway, do we know if Sylar killed someone who could fly? How was he flying at the end then, and if he did, why didn't he fly before?

Also, they'll probably keep the Peter/Sylar rivalry going. In nearly every volume, except for volume 2, they've been on opposite end and at each other's throats. If anything, those two are the actual arch-nemeses of the series. My thinking is that Peter will become the new Sylar, since touching him allowed him to copy his powers, but he might have taken the hunger with it since it seems to be a side effect of the power itself (after all, Sylar's father seemed to have it, too).

The way I understood it was that Peter can only take 1 Power away from somebody else nowadays. Meaning he just took Sylars shapeshifting power to fool him into thinking he was President Worf ... So I doubt he got his hunger and will be the new Sylar.

Also ... that finale was pretty lame, can't be said enough.

TheBigEasy on
  • duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    He already got "the hunger" in volume 2. It didn't seem to affect him outside of one attack on Nathan.

He probably stole flight from Nathan empathetically, in the season finale.

durax on
    edited April 2009
    I really liked the idea of Peter having to cope with the hunger, and possibly helping Sylar obtain some sort of balance, which actually seemed like it was going to happen awhile back. You know until we had to go on this mystical journey of crap. Such a waste of a season.

Since death doesn't matter at all for Heroes, maybe they can retcon everything that happened after season 1 and say it was all Matt's kid having a dream, that would work, right? RIGHT?

Amikron Devalia on
    edited April 2009
    He's hovered around in the past with his TK. *shrug*

He also absorbed enough of Nathan's memories to probably be able to empathize with him and replicate the power that way. But yeah, probably super-tk powers.

And the sooner "the hunger" is forgotten, the better. It pretty much trashed the coolness of Sylar. Before he was a psychopath who became what he is due to mommy issues and the desire to be special. Something I think everyone can empathize with at least. But then it became a side effect of his magic power, trashing the human aspect of his psychosis and removing the audiences ability to truly grasp him.

Undead Scottsman on
  • TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Saiga wrote: »

They never burned Nathan?

That was the fake Sylar that Danko had.

Sorry there was a vigil and I had a hard time seeing the person. I figured burning the body of a Senator that is still alive would be the smart thing to do. Well the smart thing would be to at least go over the options of saving the life of a major family member. I also refuse to believe that Peter would allow the Sylar thing. The other way around maybe, but not Peter.

Topweasel on