As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for advice: What to play next

MrChrisMrChris Registered User new member
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
Okay, here's the deal. I've just returned to the good old USA after a couple of years overseas without much access to video games, or a regular supply of electricity, for that matter; I did have a few games for my laptop and my DS, and believe me, I played the crap out of those games. Now that I'm back home and ready to hop back on the gaming bandwagon, I'm not sure where to start.

My preferred genres are RPGs, tactical RPGs, and strategy games, although I am willing to play interesting games that don't fall into any of those genres. In particular, I'm looking for games with at least one of the following: nonlinear gameplay, branching storylines, a large selection of playable characters, or significant opportunities for character development and customization. Basically, the sort of game that has replay value.

Once I have some suggestions, I'll pick a game, and then play through it in what will no doubt turn out to be an eccentric and relentlessly sub-optimal fashion, which I will document. I will probably request advice or solicit suggestions about what to do as I play. I might make a full-blown Let's Play out of it, complete with screenshots, if time permits; if not, I'll probably take a more text-intensive approach. If I go with the latter approach, I shall endeavor not to lapse into the "gibbering Lovecraftian journal entry" literary style, unless I deem it to absolutely necessary.

If anyone has suggestions as to what I should play, fire away. I'm willing to play old games or new ones, and on any system. Now that I'm back in a country with electronics stores and a functioning postal service, I'm pretty sure I can pick up just about any game or system with minimal hassle, and I'm perfectly happy to take advantage of that.

MrChris on

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Grand Theft Auto 4 sounds like it would fit your of replayable. Also wait for Red Faction Guerrilla. Both are open world sandbox games, focus on third person shooting with a light cover element, and GTA 4 at least has quite a lot of replay value. I can't speak for Red Faction in entirety yet, as only a demo is available. They let you tackle missions how you want and you can also do your own thing.

Also, depending on your platforms available, Valkyria Chronicles for strategy RPG fun.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Padre54Padre54 __BANNED USERS new member
    edited April 2009
    I've been playing Kids vs. Zombies. Yeah, its an iPhone game, but don't let that scare you off -- this game is actually fun!

Padre54 on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MrChris wrote: »

My preferred genres are RPGs, tactical RPGs, and strategy games, although I am willing to play interesting games that don't fall into any of those genres. In particular, I'm looking for games with at least one of the following: nonlinear gameplay, branching storylines, a large selection of playable characters, or significant opportunities for character development and customization. Basically, the sort of game that has replay value.

Valkyria Chronicles has everything you just listed
    (Seriously, it's a Strategy-Tactical-JRPG with nonlinear gameplay (think a mix of X-Com, Fire Emblem, and Full Spectrum Warrior), an interesting and well-done storyline analogous to WWII, over 50 playable characters, a bunch of character development and interaction, and NG+, which is necessary to get certain Medals in the game and to max out everyone's levels)

Rent on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just go play Valkyria Chronicles.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Padre54 wrote: »
    I've been playing dur. Yeah, its an iPhone game, but don't let that scare you off -- this game is actually fun!

This guys a shill.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png