As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy: Two Final Fantasies In One Year? Holy Sh-

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the new and improved Final Fantasy thread, now streamlined for pitiful, inferior 56k users.

This thread is to primarily discuss the FF series and its spin-offs, which include Kingdom Hearts (since, you know, it features FF characters). Any discussions on other Square Enix games is prohibited, or at least kept in brief.

Remember, do NOT engage in any "my favorite FF vs your piece of shit FF" debates. It's your right to like whichever entries you like, so it's only fair that you respect other fans' preferences.

Also, as these threads tend to introduce newcomers to the series, I urge you to spoiler tag all major plot points regardless of the game (including whatever iteration it takes). I'm not enforcing this rule, but try to be courteous. Yes, that includes the spoilers everyone should know about by now.

Compilation of Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children: Complete

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47515.html

NA Release Date: Out Now

What is it? Nomura and company's (alleged) final cut of the movie, which according to importers adds numerous improvements to the original movie's fast-paced, somewhat confusing plot, along with some new dialog and more violent fight scenes.

Episode: Denzel

0227acc07.jpg

What is it? A 30 minute anime feature that adapts the "Case of Denzel" short story (see further down). The same animation studio behind the Valkyria Chronicles TV series is behind this, and it will be included with the NA version of AC:C. Cloud, Tifa, Reeve, Johnny, and even some Chocobos make brief appearances in this feature. I will continue to hope and pray that "Case of Tifa" gets an adaption someday.

Want to read my review of both features? Check it out here.

Final Fantasy VII: The Remake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv8cYrGG220

As long as FFVII remains popular, you aren't going to stop hearing false rumors and fan pleadings for this to be made. The unanimous belief is that Square will one day make this, but as to when remains a mystery at this point. Regardless, it is a case of when, not if.

Final Fantasy VII Novellas: On The Way To A Smile

What is it? Created during Advent Children's production, these official short stories expand a bit on the two year span between the end of the original game and Advent Children. "Case of Denzel" is the ony one to get an anime adaption so far, but it is still highly recommend that fans read the other stories, as they offer some touching, character-driven moments. It also helps to establish Cloud's emotional state of mind during Advent Children.

Three more novellas are planned to be released soon, including Case of Yuffie (woo!), Case of The Turks (eh), and Case of Red XIII (eh?)

Case of Denzel

Case of Tifa

Case of Barret

The Maiden Who Travels The Planet

FFVII Fan Projects

Let's Play Final Fantasy VII: By Adus

Final Fantasy VII PC: Re-Imagined

What is it? Using a text editor, I have decided to rewrite the entire script of FFVII, creating a more consistent translation along with some personal touches to greater expand the characters and setting. The script is done with serious intentions, but I've balanced things out with humor, both referential and personal. I don't have a promised release date on when this will be finished, since in truth I would rather devote all my attention to a more important project....

Final Fantasy VII Comic: ExGenesis

What is it? When I had learned that DeviantArt member DarkChildx2k had the aspiration to create an FFVII comic, I decided to send him an E-mail to see if he would like my assistance in writing and planning the dialog. After several online interactions, it turned out that DarkChild is in fact a professional freelancer, who is attending this year's San Diego comic-con to promote his official book Shadowlaw. In addition, however, he also plans to have a one-on-one meeting with Udon, who will be attending the convention, and whom its founders are good friends of his. With a completed portfolio in hand, he hopes to convince Udon to officially license our project, turning it into an official series.

And to top it off, I have full writing and directing duties. I have submitted scripts and concepts to him and his editor on a weekly basis, and he's approved every single idea so far. Sketches are sent to me almost daily, which you can view on the following Photobucket account. He hopes to have colored illustrations and storyboards sent to me as well, along with an official website. You guys are the only forum that I've shown this stuff too, so any input or contributions you would like to share would be greatly appreciated. In addition to the portfolio, he and I are also scouring for talented fan-artists out there to submit their talents, as an effort to show Udon that there's already a community out there that wants this comic to take off.

Even if the book doesn't get approved, or if I'm taken off the project due to my inexperience, it's still worth working with this artist, as he has several connections in both the comic and animated community, and promises to share those contacts with me should an opportunity come up. Regardless, I'll shoot high and show Udon and Square Enix what I can do, and will work to deliver the best adaption of the beloved FFVII series that I possibly can.

Dead Fantasy

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26450.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32364.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/dead-fantasy-iii-preview/318814

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/dead-fantasy-iv-preview/318831

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/dead-fantasy-v-preview-fanime/318836

What is it? A series of fan-made vids by the one-man team of Monty Oum, Dead Fantasy is, simply put, a nonstop orgy of action involving the ladies of Final Fantasy and Dead or Alive. Don't get turned on just yet, though, because these ladies are using their various skills to pummel each other into the pavement (now you can get turned on). Essentially a fanfiction come to life, Dead Fantasy is an entertaining series requiring no brain power to enjoy the over-the-top action and skilled choreography. Personally I find the DOA inclusion unnecessary as a simple FF vs FF brawl would have been just as entertaining (plus there isn't anyone outside of Ryu Hayabusa who would prove to be a match for anyone from FF), but it's good fun nonetheless.

Preview vids for the next parts show the inclusion of more characters, as well as a "shocking" cliffhanger that seems to be a response to criticisms regarding a lack of blood and injury. Watching Tifa do her best Kill Bill impersonation sounds cool in theory, but getting impaled with a dozen arrows is kind of pushing it a bit.

I'm curious how it ends, though.

Fabula Nova Crystalis
Final Fantasy XIII

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50338.html

Release Date: Winter 2009 (Japan)
NA: Spring 2010

What is it?The first truly next-gen JRPG. You know it, I know it. The buzz on this game has been highly positive, especially with the release of the recent demo (no word yet if NA will get it as well). To top it off, that demo's only a 50% build, with the final version poised to rock our socks off.

Gamersyde has posted 720p videos of the entire demo, along with its trailers. Currently this the highest quality vids available, so it's well worth the download.

The game's localization is working quite closely with the Japanese development, although NA fans will still have to wait until Spring 2010 while Japan gets to have a Merry Christmas with their Winter 2009 release. On the upside, the English version will feature re-synched lips, ala Kingdom Hearts.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/48154.html

What is it? Nomura's debut as director for an FF game, and one that he promises will be the darkest entry in the series, possibly even garnering an M rating. It's still quite a ways off, as the clip above doesn't even feature voice acting. However, the way it's looking now, it could even surpass FFXIII in visuals, as the clothing details (made by Roen) are quite superb.

Final Fantasy Agito XIII

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/48159.html

What is it?A seemingly multiplayer game where players can take their custom characters and perform various missions. The game was originally going to be on the cellphones, which had me all ":|". But now it's coming for the PSP, so now I'm ":)". I can only hope that this basically plays out like an online version of FFVIII's high school setting.

Final Fantasy Online

Final Fantasy XIV: Online

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50330.html

Release Date: 2010 (Worldwide)

One of E3's biggest surprise announcements, Final Fantasy XIV has been unveiled, to the surprise of everyone attending. Then it was revealed to be another online title in the vein of Final Fantasy XI, which killed the anticipation somewhat. I, on the other hand, am absolutely thrilled at the prospect of a next-gen sequel to FFXI, and I'm optimistic that Square can iron out the criticisms of their first online game and make their next attempt something stellar.

Kingdom Hearts Series
Kingdom Hearts: 358 Days/2

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50213.html

Release Date: May 30th (Japan)
NA: September 29

What is it? A DS game centering on Roxas' time as a member of Organization XIII. The entire Organization is playable, and the game features a four-player multiplayer mode. Hopefully this will have an online component as well as ad hoc. It's almost certain that NA will receive this game this year.

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43758.html

What is it? Set 14 years before "Sora's journey", this prequel features three new characters (including one that bears an intentional resemblance to Roxas) as they traverse previously unseen Disney Worlds such as Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty.

Final Fantasy Spin-Offs
Dissidia: Final Fantasy

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50692.html

Release Date: August 25 (NA)

What is it? The first (and certainly not the last) crossover FF fighting game. The NA version is supposedly very close to being wrapped up, though no word if there will be any additions such as new characters. It's a shame if there aren't, since I have quite a few people I'd like to see show up to lighten up the near sausage-fest of male heroes.

According to our own AP Zonerunner, the NA version of Dissidia will feature some noticeable improvements, including new levels and "character cameos".

Crystal Defenders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEft6qKt0t4

Release Date
: Spring 2009 (PSN). XBLA and WW versions out now.

What is it?A pixeljunk monster-type game centered around the FFTA universe. It looks cute, but I wonder how addictive the gameplay is. I'm also not sure which version is the best one to get.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47006.html

What is it? Another installment of the Crystal Chronicles series, although this time featuring an online mode, which has me slightly interested. It's quite telling how the Wii version actually looks worse than the DS version, though.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USngu5D70iQ

Release Date: Late 2009

What is it? It's hard to say, really. It looks like another Crystal Chronicles knockoff, but it seems a lot more action oriented than anything ever seen in Final Fantasy. The main character has some pretty cool powers that might make wiimote play amusing, but it remains to be seen. This game has had a long development time, so I hope it's paid off.

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50210.html

Release Date: Fall 2009 (NA)

What is it? Once a Japanese cellphone exclusive, the sequel to FFIV is now set to hit the WiiWare this year. Taking place 10 years after the original game, you take control of Cecil and Rosa's son Ceodore, as well as other returning party members such as Rydia, Rydia, and Oh God Yes Rydia I love you so.

This game plays it up oldschool-style, featuring the tried and true ATB system, which has me quite excited.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A Dark Lord

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FcpaSPAeFQ

What is it? A counter spin-off to My Life as a King, this WW game places you in charge of the Dark Lord's apprentice, as you must set up traps and monsters to fend off warriors from invading your castle and beheading your master.

I enjoyed King for its simple, easy to pick up gameplay, and I'm also a big fan of Disgaea, so I've got an eye on this one. It certainly looks quite charming.

Dawn: The Worlds of Final Fantasy

17892250.jpg

What is it? For the first time, NA fans have a chance to own a localized artbook, containing Amano's illustrations of the first four FF games, along with developer notes and other information. I plan to purchase this book soon, and I hope the majority of you do the same, in the hopes that Dark Horse will release more books like this in the future.

Finally, for a look at the various anime adaptions regarding Final Fantasy, take a look at my comprehensive blog post.

Professor Snugglesworth on

• nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My play-asia order still hasn't arrived, son of a motherfucker. At least my ¥3,000 card arrived from ebay and I can play some FFVII

nerve on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Okay, I'll end things tonight by getting the ball rolling.

Square Enix will hire a separate studio to develop the FFVII remake. And you know who it'll be?

Mistwalker.

The Gooch and Uematsu. Come on.

• RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I saw the Gamersyde vids of the FFXIII demo
    Holy shit
    So much awesome

Rent on
    edited April 2009

Square Enix will hire a separate studio to develop the FFVII remake. And you know who it'll be?

Mistwalker.

That'd be some awesomely ironic shit
    But I can't imagine SE hiring any other development studio to remake as huge a game as FFVII
    I just can't see it happening, they'd def keep it in house

Rent on
    edited April 2009
    Rent wrote: »

Mistwalker.

That'd be some awesomely ironic shit
    But I can't imagine SE hiring any other development studio to remake as huge a game as FFVII
    I just can't see it happening, they'd def keep it in house

Well, if they ever considered it, I couldn't think of a more suitable studio. Oldschool minds using newschool technology. It could potentially be quite wonderful.

I just hope they sort out their multi-disc issues by then, but in this case it could prove quite nostalgic (same portraits too!).

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It could be Mistwalker, sure.

Or it could be Matrix after they finish FF VI DS...

Ho, ho, ho.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Speaking of Mistwalker, what're they doing now that their two big titles have come and gone? I'm sure they have other stuff in the works, but I have yet to hear of it.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited April 2009
    Speaking of Mistwalker, what're they doing now that their two big titles have come and gone? I'm sure they have other stuff in the works, but I have yet to hear of it.

Blue Dragon 2...Ugh...and Lost Odyssey 2 (Yay!)

Rent on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Both of those are yay for me.

Also, Holy shit at that KH 358/2 trailer. DO WANT.

Zerokku on
    edited April 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »

Agreed. BD was pretty much DQ without the DQ baggage, and LO was pretty much FF without the FF baggage (even though I still love both series), so I enjoyed both of them.

I do hope an LO sequel gets rid of the random encounters, and that a BD sequel tones down the ridiculously overpowered job system.

Vincent Grayson on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So.

Which Final Fantasy is the best?
    lolololo

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited April 2009

Agreed. BD was pretty much DQ without the DQ baggage, and LO was pretty much FF without the FF baggage (even though I still love both series), so I enjoyed both of them.

I do hope an LO sequel gets rid of the random encounters, and that a BD sequel tones down the ridiculously overpowered job system.

But the Job system was what made the game so much fun. It was like an FFV-2 :lol:
    Pata wrote: »
    So.

lolololo
    VI

Zerokku on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What broke BD's job system was the Job that's special ability was the ability to add more ability customization slots.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited April 2009

But the Job system was what made the game so much fun. It was like an FFV-2 :lol:

Oh, I *liked* the job system, I just think it could be set up in a way that made it less game-breaking. I didn't even go out of my way to exploit it, but by the time I was maybe halfway through the game, combat had completely ceased to be a challenge, and the auto-kill thing combined with whatever job point boost made mastering jobs and getting stupidly strong a basic consequence of merely playing the game.

Vincent Grayson on
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    So.

lolololo
    Vee Aye Aye Aye

This is the first time I'd seen that Kingdom Hearts DS trailer. Looks good.

Graviija on
    edited April 2009
    BD was like Dragon Quest with baser humor and none of the charm or fun in playing.

LO is a lot like older FF games, only the story goes to pot after disk one and it becomes a chore to play.

But luckily this is the FF thread, not the games that wished they were better games thread.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited April 2009
    Speaking of job systems in series that are not Final Fantasy, and ignoring the "Which FF is best?" question, which FF "system" would you say you like the best? I was thinking about this the other day while wondering what's going on with FFXIII's (which we still seem to know almost nothing about).

So let's hear it. Ignoring characters, story, setting, music, even ATB/CTB, all that stuff...which FF has your favorite system of improving characters?

For me, I think it is probably either FFIX or FFX. I like that both allow for incremental advancement, learning abilities in an order which is essentially laid out, but with the ability to customize, and with rarely more than a battle or two going by before you get at least some improvement in your character (whether it's a new ability, or just a small stat gain).

The other thing I like about both is that you're generally still learning new stuff into the end game, as opposed to many of the other titles where outside of "secret" stuff, you've stopped gaining new abilities and levels are largely meaningless past 50 or so. I like the idea of not really hitting a point where combat is just in the way of the next goal, rather than allowing for new abilities to be learned.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited April 2009
    X-2 baby. Still the most fun of any of the FF games to play. On the fly job switching? Yes.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited April 2009
    Probably FFX's
    FFXII's was kinda cool until you got Golden Amulets, then it was basically END GAME CONTENT AHOY for everyone
    Also, Technicks should be automatically learned
    Fuck that scroll bullshit
    FFVI's is getting kinda deep now what with unique abilities per character. I'm kinda digging FFVI's, aside from the "use everyone's special ability, and only their special ability, in battle"
    Also, Gau is a fucking cool dude with a cool way to learn his abilities why do people dislike him

Rent on
    edited April 2009
    FFX's still my favorite. I loved being able to switch party members on the fly. This meant I would even use the low tier characters, if it meant having full HP and MP.

If they incorporate this in FFXIII, happy times are here again.
    Probably FFX's

Also, Gau is a fucking cool dude with a cool way to learn his abilities why do people dislike him

He takes too much work to learn end-level abilities, while everyone else simply powers up by levels or bonus quests.

edited April 2009
    FFXIII's looks ludicrously fun, and this is coming from a guy who hates ATB in all its forms
    Either make it an action RPG (allowing me to move around) or make it like FFX's (you can take all the time in the world to plan each attack)
    This bullshit about having to basically use a command as soon as I get one ASAP or I WILL BE HURT A LOT BY THE ENEMY is bullshit, imo

Rent on
    edited April 2009
    I meant not including the battle system, just the character advancement system (so, not the on-the-fly job changes or character swapping)

I did forget about X-2's, which was pretty cool as far as earning abilities went, although I kinda wished there was more permanency in the stats, rather than them being dependent solely on level and current job.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited April 2009
    FFX's still my favorite. I loved being able to switch party members on the fly. This meant I would even use the low tier characters, if it meant having full HP and MP.

If they incorporate this in FFXIII, happy times are here again.
    Probably FFX's

He takes too much work to learn end-level abilities, while everyone else simply powers up by levels or bonus quests.

Err, no.

People don't like Gau because they don't understand him. Most of his really useful crap comes pretty early, but if you don't know the elements/resists of monsters off the top of your head you could end up healing the opponent every round.

Gau can also be broken as fuck in FFVI. Wind God Gau+Snow Muffler? Yeah.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited April 2009
    I never liked Gau because I just don't like not having control of what my characters do (unless it's done well)

Vincent Grayson on
  • ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ohmanohmanohmanohman

My AC:C FINALLY came today. I ripped through that package like it was Christmas morning!
    The demo for XIII has secured my purchase. Finally a lead female character that is total badassery, and not some androgynous whiny male. The combat reminded me of Xenogears with the combos...which is even more awesome. The graphics were beautiful too, love the VII feel.

I'd also like to say that AC looks jaw-droppingly stunning in 1080p on a big tv. My jaw was literally open for almost the entire movie. The changes they made all get thumbs up from me too.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
    edited April 2009
    Toefoo wrote: »
    Ohmanohmanohmanohman

My AC:C FINALLY came today. I ripped through that package like it was Christmas morning!
    The demo for XIII has secured my purchase. Finally a lead female character that is total badassery, and not some androgynous whiny male. The combat reminded me of Xenogears with the combos...which is even more awesome. The graphics were beautiful too, love the VII feel.

I'd also like to say that AC looks jaw-droppingly stunning in 1080p on a big tv. My jaw was literally open for almost the entire movie. The changes they made all get thumbs up from me too.

I haven't watched the whole thing because I didn't have time...but goddamn, the changes to the Sephiroth fight were awesome as fuck.

Vincent Grayson on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is...

Is that a baby Chocobo nesting in his 'fro?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Basil wrote: »
    Is...

Is that a baby Chocobo nesting in his 'fro?

Yes. And it is awesome.

Zerokku on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That is the cutest thing.

It is Boo with feathers.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm with XoB on his opinions of both X-2 and the Tactics games.

I thought LO was pretty good though.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited April 2009
    Black Dude in FFXIII demo = Awesomest Guy Ever
    I hope this ends up in FF's first interracial romance, we need more color in the FF series people

Rent on
    edited April 2009
    Ohmanohmanohmanohman

I haven't watched the whole thing because I didn't have time...but goddamn, the changes to the Sephiroth fight were awesome as fuck.

Yea, definitely the best part of the whole movie.

And that baby chocobo in the 'fro during the XIII demo was so awesome, hahaha. But why does Square reduce their black characters to comedic relief all the time (besides Kiros).

Toefoo on
    Weaboo List
    edited April 2009
    Ohmanohmanohmanohman

And that baby chocobo in the 'fro during the XIII demo was so awesome, hahaha. But why does Square reduce their black characters to comedic relief all the time (besides Kiros).

I still say Barrett was not comic relief. He was a very serious character, even if the things he said were often laughable. Sazh's actions in the demo at least seem tailor-made for him to be the comic relief character in the game, which is fine with me. It's better than him being a Mr T knock-off.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited April 2009
    It's pretty irritating, to be sure
    I'm unsure if Japanese people are just unaware of the US' history of racism against black people or they just don't care or what, but it's a bit...irritating

Rent on
    edited April 2009
    Black people are still comic relief in US culture. And Chris Tucker likes it just fine that way.

Fig-D on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I never liked Gau because I just don't like not having control of what my characters do (unless it's done well)
    I had some fun running around with Gau, Mog, Umaro and Gogo (with Dance and Rage) in 6.
    No control at all after the first round. Just rages, dancing and a Yeti throwing people at monsters.

see317 on
    edited April 2009
    Ohmanohmanohmanohman

I still say Barrett was not comic relief. He was a very serious character, even if the things he said were often laughable. Sazh's actions in the demo at least seem tailor-made for him to be the comic relief character in the game, which is fine with me. It's better than him being a Mr T knock-off.

Yea I guess that's true. I do love Barrett's English dub in AC though; totally how I imagined him when I played VII for the first time.

Toefoo on
    Weaboo List
    edited April 2009
    Also, Barret wasn't comic relief.

EDIT: There was more to this post but fuck it. Spoilers and poor grammar and all that.

Fig-D on
    edited April 2009
    They mentioned that Sazh had a serious backstory, so it's still up in the air.

• Sorcha RavenlockSorcha Ravenlock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I picked up FF III DS from a bargain bin last week, and haven't been able to put it down, what an awesome game!
    Anyway, playing through III reminded me I never finished the Ds version of IV. since this is the FF thread, I thought I migt as well ask here rather then to necro old threads. Will IV continue to swap party members on me?
    So far I keep getting different party members thrown at me. Every time I get the hang of a nice strategy with the group I have some event happens and I lose some people and get others in their place. I really hate this, especially since in the last swap I got stuck with a bunch of characters that are either incompetent or that simply don't suit my playstyle (probably the latter).
    If the party will eventually stabilise and stay with the same people I might struggle on where I left off (after I finish III), else I might take advantage of the current Gamestop offer to trade the game in for 30 euro and grab LIttle King's story for the Wii instead.

Sorcha Ravenlock on