As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WCK's Drawings - The Good, the Bad and the Badass

• desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I like to paint on those books of throw-away paper pallettes, each page has a waterproof surface. But yeah, I don't put too much paint on my palette at any one time, I never know when I will decide I've done enough, and the paint on the palette will wind up wasted.

Jay leno looks really good. I am constantly whiting out parts of paintings that I'm not happy with. Feels good! I've done it to entire paintings a few times, and what I do on top is normally awesome. It's good to get the crap out of yours system.... Sorry, didn't realise you posted this so long ago. :P

desperaterobots on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    haha. Thanks man. the Leno painting has been on hold since last update. Got really pissed with it and havnt gone back. I should try painting over the entire thing and giving it another crack! Throw away palette sounds like a good idea.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited March 2009
    Your paint looks pretty thin, the white especially. Do you thin it down with water before applying it?

desperaterobots on
    edited March 2009
    Generally my paint isnt too thin, as i normally paint on masonite board (needs loads of layers of paint). but the Leno painting is done on proper canvas, so i did use very thin paint this time around, but not too thin that im basically just smearing coloured water.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited March 2009
    update

2jb2t6q.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
    edited April 2009
    Hey fellas. got assignments due next week. Needa paint up four of my images. trying to colour my greyscale image ATM and its looking like SHIT!!!

Any suggestions, tips, advice etc. would be appreciated. although my colour studies will look shit, im hoping that by the end of this, i'll AT LEAST have some alright greyscale value studies. so here's my stuff. toughts?

xpzecx.jpg

zusi69.jpg

x5s1w4.jpg

kbrskz.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
    edited April 2009
    Well, just went ahead with it. Colours arent great, but i guess as long as its consistant. still refining. Basically painting over the entire thing. Really wish i hadnt spent sop long on the greyscale now. All that detail has basically gone to waste.

BTW saving to jepg looses ALL of my contrasts. its pissing me off, cos im sending stuf through to my tutor, and it always looks like shit. Anyone know a way around this?

apartment-colouring-copytest.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There are a few tutorials online as to how to colour black and white images in photoshop. If you want the quick and dirty dude... The grayscales look good.. I sugest maybe just making them sepia. Make them look oldschool. Dond spent time trying to get the colours right unless u have enough time

or go for a retro sort of look? it wont take u long

Leggraphics on
    edited April 2009
    There should be a circle of light above the lamps, not a thin slice. It comes out in a cone shape, remember?

If I can spam with my own work, think of it a little like the light on the building from the lowest tripod guy:
    DSC00691copy.jpg

I think the colours are looking pretty good! Probably a bit saturated. Might want to take that down a bit.

edit: Also, that's light on the bed from the window, right? But... the shade is drawn? W..what? -- You could maybe lighten up the shade to give the appearance of light coming through it. I totally forget what this is called, technically speaking. But, you know. Like the way ears look brighter when theres a back light. Semi-transparent? Opacity? Urgh, I am brain dead right now.

desperaterobots on
    edited April 2009
    Thanks fellas. Went ahead with it some more tonight. added a little photo texture to the wallpaper. Still not happ with it. I think in the end i'll hand up two versions. One colour, the other a basic greyscale (or maybe sepia tone like leggs said). heres my update so far. its doing that bullshiRt again with knocking back the colours when saving as jpeg. Shite! so i took a photo of my monitor. Its more accurate in colour than the jpeg file. (actually , it only really appears bad when running in a web browser... maybe its something to do with that... or my computer... hmmmmmmm *thinking*)

mtqsed.jpg

15heu6a.jpg

Oh BTW Leggs, if you know of any cool tutorials, could you post them?

winter_combat_knight on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This is looking good WCK, the lighting is really nice. However, everything feels incredibly rigid, in fact a lot of your art feels like this. Do you get stressed out when your drawing/painting?

Mustang on
    edited April 2009
    By rigid, you referring to the rough, hard/stiff brush strokes? I think as i build it up more, i'll start smoothing/blending things together a little more.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited April 2009
    update.

wb40ox.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    You need to take desperaterobot's advice about the lights, at this point it's really starting to bug me; it makes the lamps look really flat.

crawdaddio on
    edited April 2009
    yeah i should probably get right on that. been really trying to get the values right that i totally forgot.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited April 2009
    Been working on my other image tonight. 2:40am and im done... for now.
    just laying in basic tones/colour
    btw, thats photo texture for the ground, and bricks, just incase people think i actually drew them in!

29ep45k.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
    edited April 2009
    update

66ev5u.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    It's bad enough your name breaks the side column, but can you keep your stuff less than 1000px wide?

bombardier on
    edited April 2009
    bombardier wrote: »
    It's bad enough your name breaks the side column, but can you keep your stuff less than 1000px wide?

Hmmmm... ok. Didn't realise they where so big. If you want, you can change my user name. (can moderators change names...?) Maybe just 'WCK'... or 'BigusDickus'...?

winter_combat_knight on
    edited April 2009
    Figured since ive been posting this shite too much in the doodle thread, i may as well post it in my own thread

14d1oyc.jpg

kb1smq.jpg

Stuff from doodle thread...

eip6j5.jpg

20gk45i.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
    edited April 2009
    The dude is now finished (still open for edit suggestions) - Now just a character turn around to go for him

2sayzvm.jpg

And the chick is still a WIP

1pjosw.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
    edited April 2009
    Hey fellas, I set up a carbon made blog/website thingy to promote my work. I finish uni in November and am going to be sending out a portfolio basically EVERYWHERE. Yes, i know, my stuff stinks like shit. But i figure, another six months anatomy studies, really hard work, my stuff can be up to a 'okay' standard. Plus, gotta start out somewhere :)

So anyway, heres my carbonmade web link. What you guys think...?

Oh, i should say, i want to get into concept art. There are actually quite a few studios in Adelaide to apply at.

http://anthonymckeown.carbonmade.com/

Crits mainly on content. by the time i DO want to send out my work, i'll have a proper domain name. lets just call this a 'temporary' website.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited April 2009
    what sort of jobs are you going for?

I think you shouldnt limit your folio to old school drawing look-alikes. Also. The guy in the middle of the three together looks a little like tom hanks lol.

Leggraphics on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh, i should say, i want to get into concept art. There are actually quite a few studios in Adelaide to apply at.

You're kidding me? I should really look them up at some stage.

Ok here's the deal, you go get a job and then put a good word in for me and we'll be work buddies. Bliss!

Mustang on
    edited April 2009
    what sort of jobs are you going for?

I think you shouldnt limit your folio to old school drawing look-alikes. Also. The guy in the middle of the three together looks a little like tom hanks lol.

totaly right. I gotta admit, i love the early 1920-40s era. The clothing, the clubs, art style. This is really just a starting out portfolio. Who knows, by the end of the year i may not even use these!. Hopefully though i can manage to do a heap of different styles based on different eras and themes. Im going to avoid doing any sci-fi concept art. Everyone does that. :)

Haha. I actually referenced Tom Hanks for that one. Remember his white suit from the film 'Big' :)

Mustang: Yeah there are many studios. Not all are well known like Rising Sun, but there are definately plenty of places.

winter_combat_knight on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think your stuff works a lot better when you've got some warm and cool tints to the neutrals instead of just grays. I'd like to see you work with both at the same time, for some subtle temperature control.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009
    yeah. thats a good idea. I think atm besides anatomy, colour is one of my biggest weaknesses. Thats why im still practicing oil and acrylic paintings in my spare time. Just to give myself that little bit extra understanding. What i like to do with the digital stuff, is to do it in greyscale and then apply a basic colour filter over the top. And THEN, re-paint ove the entire thing full colour (rather than just colour/layer filters). I did that with my environment scenes, and i think they are more successful for it. I should really look at the greyscale study in terms of an under painting/something to work from, rather than the completed image.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited April 2009
    if you want to look at good light/dark stuff, rembrandt is by far the man to do it with. As for color, I've been really digging on this English broad named Gwen John lately. Go get a library book or something, looking at any of that stuff through a monitor is useless.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited April 2009
    adelaide has some good studios including rising sun which did happy feet and some of the matrix. It has peoples republic of animation which deal in 2D and claymation. There is Adelaide productions which is run by mates dad Mario Andracio. If you know anymore winter let me know coz i want to apply for them to:D lols

Leggraphics on
    edited April 2009
    Holopoint Studios, Krome, Monkey Stack. All i can think of. Im definately applying at the PRA.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited May 2009
    Hey fellas. I was posting this in the doodle thread (initially as a doodle) but its kinda turned into a full piece illustration for Uni. So ill keep posting updates here instead

(thanks for the complementary shadow idea crawdaddio. I dunno if im doing it right, but its definately looking better)

2qvcft1.jpg

What it was

zt6ec1.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
    edited May 2009
    If you really want to get a handle on color, paint this entirely at the same value, with no light or dark, only altering hue and saturation to differentiate between shadows/highlights.

cooler, lower saturated colors for shadows, warmer higher saturated colors for highlights.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    yeah. thats a good idea. I think atm besides anatomy, colour is one of my biggest weaknesses. Thats why im still practicing oil and acrylic paintings in my spare time. Just to give myself that little bit extra understanding. What i like to do with the digital stuff, is to do it in greyscale and then apply a basic colour filter over the top. And THEN, re-paint ove the entire thing full colour (rather than just colour/layer filters). I did that with my environment scenes, and i think they are more successful for it. I should really look at the greyscale study in terms of an under painting/something to work from, rather than the completed image.

Though I would suggest that at this point you should probably be focused more on the pure drawing side of things (esp. in getting a more precise planar construction of forms and shadow in your figures) than worrying so much about painting/color, if you are looking for good color study practice I might recommend taking a page from Nathan Fowkes' tiny landscape paintings. Some really gorgeous, subtle colors in what seem to be very simple paintings on first glace.

He's doing there as quick color comps being done with broad, direct application of paint- to the point where some of them are almost purely abstract. Now, this almost certainly not improve your drawing ability in the slightest, but by not needing necessarily to be quite so precise in drawing, it will let you concentrate purely on color application. Might be worth trying to copy some of his stuff to get a feel for how he's putting things together, then trying some on your own from life/photo ref, or taking someone else's more detailed work and simplifying it down into pure broad color application; that way you can just concentrate on absorbing just that one part of the artist's thought process, rather than being overwhelmed by details/perspective/drawing issues trying to capture the whole of a work all at once.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Since I brought up construction/shadowing previously, I figured I probably should actually say something about it.

What bugs me the most about your drawing work is that I feel you are approaching things as lines and not forms: line for the contour, lines around the eyes, lines around the mouth, and then you're trying to make it look realistic by adding bits of shading more or less piecemeal around those lines.

The result of this is, when you go to render, everything in between those lines feels ambiguous and lacks strength of statement. Looking at the Leno portrait, the places where you drew lines are all very hard, the places where you haven't are all very soft. The softness in plane makes it difficult to pin down where the plane on the front of the nose turns into the side, and while I can see the start of a distinct front/side plane change near the top of the head, it doesn't seem to carry down into the chin area, making an area behind the chin bulge out towards the viewer, and then cut back very sharply. Or if you look at this guy, a lot of your shading is being determined not by planar form, but by the outlines: one side of the sleeve is light, and it gradients to the other side where it's dark. Same for the torso, legs, face. There's a certain logic to it, but it's a generic solution that doesn't convey the illusion of three-dimensionality.

By taking a step back and tying those form-indicating lines in the drawing together with rhythms, and by making a stronger, deliberate shadow pattern based on form sooner, the picture will end up feeling much more unified, and more three-dimensional as a whole.

I don't know if you've seen Erik's blog, but
    http://deadoftheday.blogspot.com/search/label/artist%27s%20studio
    if you look through parts 1-4, you'll see what I'm on about with the rhythms, where disparate parts of the head are tied together through lines. These lines will function not just to keep things working together on the head, but provide non-ambiguous plane changes that you can use when you go to shade.

Went through one of your dudes and tried to apply what I'm talking to a bit:
    WCK_dude.jpg

See with this one, there are a lot of lines that, while I know why they are there, they're left floating, and don't serve to create form. ie: lines indicating the pit of the neck/sternocleidomastoid muscles, don't follow up the neck to their insertion. Folds near buttons, not following around the form, and don't flow into the folds at the contour, etc. Wobbly outline on the sleeves, and I know it's like that to create a sense of bagginess, but since those lines aren't cutting into the arm and serving to describe the baggy forms that would be occurring, the line is being divorced from the idea that it's meant to serve arbitrarily.

So what I thought I'd do would be to simplify the whole thing at first: break it down into basic cylinders, use some rhythms to tie things together: side of neck to side of hips, crotch to shoulders, clavicle line across shoulders, etc. etc. Even with no shading on it, it starts to feel fairly solid. Then, still keeping it simple, I made a distinct line between areas that were lit, and those that were in shadow. On or off, no ambiguity. With the forms and shadow pattern stated strongly and simply, pulling it up to rendering quality becomes easier: tosro is an egg. Lower half of the trunk a cylinder. arms, cylinders. Face, front lit, sharp plane change running from side of chin up to the zygomatic arch and up to the ear.

Older paintovers where I railed on about plane:
    SPI_lights.jpg
    mykonos2.jpg
    tonkka.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I missed these famous Bacon paintovers :)

DeeLock on
    edited May 2009
    Bacon, that is freaking awesome! Thank you so much. I just checked out your website. Shit your stuff is good. I hadnt seen it before. Never knew you did 3d too.

i continued on with my picture. im sure you guys will say "WTH WKC! That looks shite!" And i agree8-). But at the moment, i figure, since its going to look wrong anyway, i may as well go a little nuts with it. Plus, looking at some space opera art (the theme for this), they use really high contrasting colours. I just need to work out a way of balancing it all.

HIGHER RES

29eho5z.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've been looking through this thread and you are coming along brilliantly, are you thinking of going into concept art for movies/games? You really remind me of some of those artists I've seen, you can get a lot across in broad strokes.
    The red-bed-in-a-room is really great, something about that and the alley. Keep it up chum.

Endless_Serpents on
    edited May 2009
    Cheers mate. Really appreicate the comment. I do want to get into concept art, mainly for games or animation. I only just started drawing (for real anyway) a little over a year ago. Its a slow process but im quite pleased overall. Though my skills are obviously lacking, im hoping that the fact that i try to have a solid concept behind the scenes will more than make up for my lack of rendering skills. I also like the bedroom piece. I spent loads of hours on it.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cheers mate. Really appreicate the comment. I do want to get into concept art, mainly for games or animation. I only just started drawing (for real anyway) a little over a year ago. Its a slow process but im quite pleased overall. Though my skills are obviously lacking, im hoping that the fact that i try to have a solid concept behind the scenes will more than make up for my lack of rendering skills. I also like the bedroom piece. I spent loads of hours on it.

Well God speed and all tha' knight. All I can sugest is trying some pieces with bright, contrasting colours, because I like mind bending stuff (I may not be good at advise as such).

Endless_Serpents on
    edited May 2009
    Im taking a break from the other piece until i get a respons from my tutor.
    This one i started last night. Trying 3-point perspective. Ive totally got the horizon line points in the wrong place. Still trying to get my head around it. Im pleased with where its going, but small errors are really letting it down.

2q80t1f.jpg

Spoilered is with the perspective lines.
    [IMG][/img]2h49gfa.jpg

winter_combat_knight on