As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel Solicitations for July 2009 [Preview]

2»

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Looking through the hardcover and trade solicits, I'm getting the second Jason Aaron Ghost Rider trade, the first Diggle Thunderbolts hardcover, the War Machine hardcover, and Powers hardcover vol. 3.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    USA COMICS #1 70TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL
    Written by JOHN ARCUDI
    Penciled by STEVE ELLIS
    Cover by CLINT LANGLEY
    Variant Cover by MARCOS MARTIN
    Marvel continues its historic anniversary celebration – by unleashing the Mighty Destroyer! Before the Punisher there was another one-man army with a skull on his chest! Travel back with us to the desperate days of World War II, when the mystery-shrouded, merciless man with no face struck at the heart of Nazi Germany, deep behind enemy lines! Who is the Destroyer? What is his secret mission? And what does he want with a heavily defended train…and the simple journalist who rides in it? Find out as writer John Arcudi (B.P.R.D.) and artist Steve Ellis (High Moon) unite to shine a cold, hard light on the unstoppable weapon of vengeance! Plus: A classic Mighty Destroyer reprint from ALL WINNERS #3!
    48 PGS./New & Reprints/Rated A …$3.99

This is a surprise!

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, Dark Tower is going to be the most depressing thing ever.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wait a fucking second!

DEADPOOL: MERC WITH A MOUTH #1
    Written by VICTOR GISCHLER
    Penciled by BONG DAZO
    Cover by ARTHUR SUYDAM
    Variant Cover by ED MCGUINNESS
    “HEAD TRIP,” Part 1 of 6

HE IS GETTING ANOTHER ONGOING. DAMNIT.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fat Cobra, Incognito and Destroyer all sound good too.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    HE IS GETTING ANOTHER ONGOING. DAMNIT.

To be fair, a story about Deadpool carrying around his own zombified head from another universe sounds pretty damn fun.

Munch on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also, it's a mini-series.

Is it just me, or is July like a serious wallet-raping month? Between WoK, Blackest Night, and my other books, I'm going to be broke as hell. D:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I will probably buy the usual stuff (Immortal Iron Fist, Destroyer, Incognito and Aaron's Weapon X), maybe that other Destroyer thing, maybe Deadpool carrying zombie Deadpool's head around.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Also, it's a mini-series.

Is it just me, or is July like a serious wallet-raping month? Between WoK, Blackest Night, and my other books, I'm going to be broke as hell. D:

Are you sure it's a mini?

Merc with a Mouth #1
    Part 1 of 6 of 'Head Trip'

That sounds like the first arc of an ongoing to me.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Eh, if it is an ongoing, I'm not too concerned. Wolverine having 10 titles per month doesn't stop my other books coming out, so it's all good.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Still, I think you'd have to be crazy to think Deadpool can sustain sales across that many titles. That'll probably mean lackluster performance for most of his books at the expense of sales of his main book.

I'd rather see them take a chance on some new characters or characters in limbo. Deadpool isn't the only humorous property out there, after all.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    But don't you see, his star will rise with the new Wolverine movie! It can't possibly fail!!!

Wildcat on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wait, so Loeb's Hulk is going to move to the original Incredible Hulk numbering with #600? How does that make sense... are they counting Loeb's Hulk AND the Incredible Herc issues up to now or what?

I bet people who like unbroken runs of comics are going to hate that :D

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    This whole renumbering to 600 crap is tedious. It's as gimmicky as all the #1 issues in the 90s.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Someone added the numbers up and they dont add up for Hulk to be at 600. I havent double checked though, but theyd have to be including a Wizard 1/2 and the -1 issue to get to 600 or some such based on their math, which seemed right and no one was questioning. Makes sense since they fudged the numbers to get Thor to 600, too.

KVW on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So Cap, Thor, and Hulk all reached 600 at about the same time? Huh.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And Spidey!

Wildcat on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    the thing about too much deadpool is that none of it is well-written deadpool

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've said it many times: The guy who writes Dr. McNinja should be writing Deadpool as well.

But yeah, seriously, he tends to be given to people who don't actually know how to write comedy.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was under the impression Way was doing a surprisingly good job with him, all things considered

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    His writing hasn't given me cancer, that much is true. However, I have some issues with his interpretation of Deadpool. And while the writing isn't entirely shit, it's also not as good as, let's say, Cable & Deadpool was.

I think that Deadpool is a character who works best in moderation, and when operating under the radar, if you will. Having him in his own series is fine. Having him be a recurring guest star in Uncanny X-Men or Amazing Spider-Man probably less so. Having him in three ongoings in five mini-series is a mistake.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The main problem with Deadpool is that he's written differently by each author. Taken on its own, Way's done a pretty good job with Wade. However, if you include all of Deadpool's other titles and appearances, the style seems very jarring.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I thought he was supposed to be different in every appearance, like the Joker. His brain is constantly in flux.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I thought he was supposed to be different in every appearance, like the Joker. His brain is constantly in flux.

The problem is that the writers either try to add something new to him in order to leave their mark (overburdening the character and throwing off his purpose), or they completely misinterpret/go overboard on his general zanyness.

Deadpool's kind of like the Wii. There's a factor of interest that'll have you looking past the general mediocrity of most of his titles for awhile, and the publishers will be happy to feed that to you as long as they can, but eventually you'll catch on

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    hadji that is a terrible analogy.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    hadji that is a terrible analogy.

Hadji, you're not allowed to talk about anything anymore.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nova 27 looks so good i might actually poop myself.
    99_NOVA_27.jpg

NOVA #27
    Written by DAN ABNETT & ANDY LANNING
    Penciled by ANDREA DI VITO
    Cover by DANIEL ACUÑA
    Rocketing into the thick of the merciless cosmic action, Nova Prime battles to rescue the novice Corps centurions caught in the crossfire! Most of all he’s desperate to save Robbie Rider, who’s missing in action! But the danger’s coming from all sides: Ravenous! Blastaar! Strontian and the Praetorians! Not everyone’s going to walk away from this clash, so pull on your helmet and find out why ComicsBulletin.com calls NOVA “...one of the best titles being produced by Marvel right now.”
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

Karl on