As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Boots - What kind?

F.VF.V Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm going to be needing a new pair of boots soon, after just about wearing through the soles of two different pairs of Brasher boots i wear in rotation. Unfortunately i can't get these re-soled. So i'm looking for the following things:-
-Long Lasting
-Ability to be re-soled
-Not tight around the ankle (thus not the obvious solution to the above would be doc martens of army boots)
-Tough soles preferably (walking round in the city more these days rather than working in the woods)

I'm looking for some good brands and suggestions, and preferably not too expensive (really about £60-70 is about as much as im wanting to spend)

F.V on

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What kind of boots are we talking about? Hiking? Work boots? Something a little more on the fashionable side?

I don't know if you can get LL Bean there, but I'm partial to these. They can be resoled, they're waterproof, and they look ok walking around town even though they are workboots.

Red Wing makes some pretty nice boots in their Classic collection, but their probably out of your price range.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hiking / work boots really I've been wearing hiking boots for quite a while as my day to day shoes,

Those L.L bean ones seem pretty nice, can get them here, but i think they are mail-order only, which is a no-no as far as boots are concerned.

F.V on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dr. Martens makes some fantastic boots that will last a good long time. I've been rocking some Air Wair steel toes for years now and they're like faithful companions. Martens also has a "For Life" line that's a little pricey (about 150 USD if memory serves), but come with a lifetime guarantee. They'll repair/replace them if they ever break down.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    When I did landscaping/hiking in alaska I used Standard GI boots from army surplus.
    Pop some nice insoles in there and get going.

rfalias on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Doc Martens are best, I think, but I'm a huge Timberland fan personally, but they're a little pricy.

I never heard of the for life thing though. That sounds totally worth it.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have a pair of Blundstones and I love them. They're the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn, bar none, and they're really, really well made.

I'm not sure how much they cost in pounds, though.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm going to throw in with the "Doc Martens" crowd.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I've found these two pairs which are by and large what i'm looking for,
    Wiliam Lennon Traditional Work Boots

William Lennon Hobnail Boots

But pricier than my original thoughts, but i want to buy boots to last this time, to really last. I'm going to try some dr martens though, and also some british army surplus boots.

Any companies that make similar boots to the ones above?
    Anyone with any experience of hobnail boots? They seem like they'd be very hard-wearing though maybe not so good on smoother surfaces? either for walking on or the surface.

F.V on