As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In dire need of a good Wii or DS title....

EeveelutionEeveelution Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm in dire need of a good Wii or DS title that is an RPG, and isn't turned based. I've been looking at Zelda, (I'm a fanboy of nintendo who never really cared for the series) but I was wondering what else is there. I know phantasy star zero comes out soon, but that is a couple months away.

I was really hoping people could give me some suggestions on a title I might enjoy, or if there is a good title via Wiiware I should be visiting.

Thanks in advance, and now, a delicious bar pretzel recipe:

1 pound of pretzel twists
lemon-pepper seasoning
1 packet of ranch dressing mix/seasoning
1 Small bottle of Orvell-Reddenbockers' Popcorn Oil

You mix all of the ingredients in to a big bowl with lid, using only the lemon pepper seasoning to your own taste. Shake well in the container making sure that all of the pretzels are well covered in the oil and seasoning. Let sit for at least a day.

Shake the container again before you eat, just to reinforce the coating.

PS3 Tag: cryptzicle Cryptzicle the DK
Eeveelution on

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Not exactly a Wii title, but it can play on the wii... Tales of Symphonia, for the gamecube. Great game, not turn based, very definitely an RPG.

Another option you may like better is Super Paper Mario, which is actually for the wii. It is still an RPG, but instead of a turn-based system you basically just stomp on the enemies' heads in real-time. Also a great game, but not so great as its predecessor Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door (for gamecube, but turn-based).

For the DS, try Professor Hatsworth.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Zelda isn't really an RPG.

Baroque (more like a roguelike)
    FFCC: Echoes of Time (action RPG)
    Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Echoes of Time, How the hell did I miss a Final Fantasy title......

Eeveelution on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DS -
    The world ends with you - modern day real time rpg, find a review on this as I cannot do it justice.

Seconding Paper Mario for for WII.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you're going to go with zelda, might as well do yourself a favor and grab Okami.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance (which is probably REALLY cheap) for a non-stop action rpg game.

Wiiware titles include Lit (horror-y adventure game), Lost winds, plenty of games out there

delphinus on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, TWEWY seems up your alley
    And I'm going to unrecommend ToS. Nothing really wowed me, the battle system was lame and prone to "Mash A" fests, your partners are mentally retarded, and the storyline is full of typical JRPG bullshit

Rent on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, Baroque gets brought up in every "recommend me a Wii game" thread ever.

I really need to get around to playing that.

I was unimpressed by Zelda, FWIW.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I loved Zelda, but it took awhile for Twilight Princess to start in my opinion. I wasn't really enjoying myself with it until i was a few hours into play...mainly not until I finished the first Twilight zone. I would rent before buying if you're not into the series.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Another vote for The World Ends With You.

Also look into these DS titles: Custom Robo Arena, Dragonball Origins, Rune Factory 1 or 2. See also Rune Factory Frontier for Wii.

Taya on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    While not an RPG if you haven't played Mad World for the Wii, its well worth a purchase. Just to warn you the game earns its m rating with bad language and ultra violence.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Chrono Trigger DS for old-school goodness

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Super Paper Mario is a great bet. It's essentially a side-scrolling Mario game with RPG elements that don't end up detracting from the game itself.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Makershot wrote: »
    Chrono Trigger DS for old-school goodness

Limed for honest-to-god truth. It doesn't matter that it's turn based; if you haven't played this game you haven't lived.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Meteos is a damned addictive little puzzle game that I've put plenty of hours into.

I second Chrono Trigger, and of course there's the various Final Fantasies (especially if you have an original DS or Lite for the GBA editions).

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for all the advice, I went out and got FFCC: Echoes of Time, and love it so far. And yes, i've played chrono, and I've also played super paper mario hehe. I'm pretty abusive to RPG's, and I recentally beat the original paper mario again for old times sake heh.

Eeveelution on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Little King's Story isn't out everywhere in the world yet, but it's an RTS/RPG hybrid, and easily one of the best games of any kind on the Wii.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    For the DS. Not RPG, but some Adventure:

Syberia - Have this for PC, haven't cracked it yet.
    Trace Memory - Enjoyable, great storyline.
    Hotel Dusk - Billed as an interactive pulp novel, first-person mystery. Awesome.

And Action-RPG:

The World Ends With You

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg