As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A computer's power cable is extremely hot

Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I was changing speakers on my girlfriends' computer and I nearly burned myself on the damn thing. It's *that* hot. I immediately shut down the computer and unplugged it.
The computer is temporarily plugged into the wall, not a surge protector.
Could this be the cause of the problem, or is there likely something else wrong?

2tyFzTC.png

Farout Foolio on

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was changing speakers on my girlfriends' computer and I nearly burned myself on the damn thing. It's *that* hot. I immediately shut down the computer and unplugged it.
    The computer is temporarily plugged into the wall, not a surge protector.
    Could this be the cause of the problem, or is there likely something else wrong?

It shouldn't be the problem. Is the cable able to support the amperage that the PC was drawing? If she has a machine that was bought from a big box manufacturer it probably isn't the issue, but high wattage PSUs usually come with cables that are significantly thicker than normal ones. I've seen people use extension cords for things like window A/C units that aren't rated high enough for it and they get uncomfortably hot.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The computer has been hodge-podged together, so it's quite likely the cord and PSU aren't a set.
    How could I check for sure? The cord is bereft of any kind of markings.

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The computer has been hodge-podged together, so it's quite likely the cord and PSU aren't a set.
    How could I check for sure? The cord is bereft of any kind of markings.

If there aren't any markings then you have no way to know. Usually it would be on a tag, printed on the cable, or printed on the cable (mine's imprinted). They don't need to be a set, it just needs to be of a sufficient gauge and be properly insulated (which would help contain the heat) to handle the computer's power needs. Mine is rated for 105 degrees Celsius (750W PSU).

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It should feel at least if not more 'heavy' (or thicker) than a standard surge protector cord. This things aren't expensive are they?

Newegg shows similar ones about $10 a piece. Check out your local best buy or computer parts store to find a thicker gauge cord.

Iceman.USAF on