As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who wants to make a new game? :D

• Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's only annoying when the bat goes for a smash and grab, then vanishes into thin air off the next screen. Then you get another item and the bat is back within 20 seconds of the last encounter, now empty handed, and ready to do it again!

The bat did this to me 3 times in a row before it flew in a 4th time and took my sword after I'd cornered a dragon. I was eaten.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's not a bug, it's a feature! ™

Impersonator on
  • Options
    Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Great job slash000, and everyone who worked on this. Glad you all stuck with it and put out a finished product. It looks and sounds great.

I never played the original game, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. At first I didn't know you could kill the dragons and things got a lot easier after I figured that out. :P

I just finished the first quest and started the second quest. I can see why people hate the bat.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Alright, the funniest thing ever would be if someone did a Let's Play of this game.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Hey-yeah, let's go open some doors with this key...:whistle: OH GOD DAMNIT, NOT THE BAT AGAINfakljafbfafablaf!"

Impersonator on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There are ways to handle the bat.

You can leave various items strewn about that he might go for instead of your held item. Although he does prefer certain items to others.

You can also try to dodge into other rooms when you see him. Alternatively, you can try and catch him and do something with him before he steals your stuff. Or, if you are ever able to grab ahold of it, to carry it around too. If he happens to be holding the item you need that is (you can open the respective gates with the key even if you're holding the bat who's holding the key, for example).

There are 2 things that help quite a bit in dealing with the bat, but I'll spoiler them since they really help a lot:
    1. I find it easy to deal with him by setting down my item opposite the bat when I see him coming, so that he flies into my hands. Then I release him elsewhere, and then go back for my item. So if he's coming from the right, I turn left and set down my item, and then he flies right into my hands. Then run to another area and release him, then go back for my item.

2. If you release the bat into the Gold Castle, he'll get caught in the castle for a period of time, so long as he doesn't immediately escape upon release (in other words, he'll escape if he exits south, but if he is released and flies any other direction than south, you might capture him in the gold castle)

These two things will probably help with Bat Troubles quite a bit.

slash000 on
  • Options
    da newbda newb New York, New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Does this game work on Macs? If so, I'm downloading it.

da newb on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    No, it does not.

Not unless Darwine works acceptably for you.

Frem on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I mentioned the remake to a friend of mine and voila! You get a news article about it:

http://www.gamebits.net/2009/04/28/adventure-2600-reborn-today/

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cool! Get the word out!

halkun on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Should definitely pass this one to boingboing and geekologie

people loves this type of stuff

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If it means anything, i already passed this game on to one of the hosts of RetroforceGo! (one of the writers for destructoid)

delphinus on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is selecting Quest 2 supposed to start with the bat picking up the sword and taking it who-knows where?

Also, I have a bug to report.

I was holding the silver key, when I walked over the sword I picked up the sword and the key vanished.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    Is selecting Quest 2 supposed to start with the bat picking up the sword and taking it who-knows where?

The bat in Quest 2, his initial path is a loop between the castle and the clearing below it. As soon as the quest starts, the bat grabs the sword and starts looping between those two screens. So you can either wait at either screen and grab the bat (with the sword), or you can go about your way and the bat will remain there (for a little while), course you won't have the sword during that time.
    Also, I have a bug to report.

I was holding the silver key, when I walked over the sword I picked up the sword and the key vanished.

I'll look into it; that's pretty weird, shouldn't be too common though hopefully.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That's where the bat was in the original adventure and the aim was to stay as true as possible to the source. As for the disappearing items, it's bound to happen as its happened to me more than once. But don't worry the game will have the item somewhere on the map, if not, just press the reset button to bring you back to the castle and the items should return unglitched.

That was the solution in the original, as such, we kept the solution here.

edit: slash000 for what its worth, im always holding a bat when this happens to me. happened with ice key, magnet and sword.

delphinus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah if something disappears usually it winds up somewhere. I'm not sure why the problem occurs as of yet though. Might have something to do with the bat but I'll look into it.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The bat wasn't anywhere near me when it happened.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The bat wasn't anywhere near me when it happened.

Very strange. Were you anywhere near an edge of the screen?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah I was. The sword was put down near the edge.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah I was. The sword was put down near the edge.

OK, thanks for the info. I think I know what part of the code is causing that and I should be able to fix it in the next version when I release it.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    In other news the bat is the most annoying thing ever.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I know. Best way to deal with him is to leave other items strewn about to distract him. Or to try and escape the screen as soon as you see him. Or to grab him (if you can) and use the bat's held item while you're holding him (if you can, obviously, the bat likes some items more than others and won't put down his favorite items in favor of others). You can open gates and kill dragons with the items held by the bat held by the player, though it's a little tough to kill dragons by touching that sword held by the bat to them by getting them from the left side.

You can also lock the bat in the gold castle for a limited time (unless the bat immediately escapes south and out the door which he often does).

An easy way to deal with the bat is, when you see him approach, drop your item opposite the bat, then let him fly into your hands. Then you can either let him go in another screen or you can grab the item onto the bat while holding the bat.

I prefer to take advantage of opportunities to hold onto the bat to carry some items, like keys, and perhaps the magnet, and in rare cases the sword and chalice. Because you can still open doors, magnetize stuff, kill dragons, and win the game with these items while still in the bat's grasp within the player's hands. And the bat can't be moving all the stuff around while you're holding it. The downside is, of course, that the bat has its own preferences as to what it wants to hold and so you can't keep ahold of the bat forever.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Every time I try to take the bridge to the silver palace, every time the bat will appear right next to me, take the bridge, and give me the middle finger.

Every time

I have not once managed to get the bridge to the palace.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    try to catch the little bastard.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    No you see that's the thing.

I'll spawn right next to me. There's no time to react, it just takes the precious item.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    No you see that's the thing.

I'll spawn right next to me. There's no time to react, it just takes the precious item.

I see. Well, it shouldn't happen every time! Good luck.

slash000 on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I beat quest 2! Finally!
    Bat decided not to be a cunt and the only key he snatched (the black one), he placed on the pier, which helped me out! Thanks for not stealing my chalice as I was walking to place it in the castle, bat!
    This game is awesome

Rent on
  • Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think the bat may actually be broken. The game doesn't seem to properly track his position once he leaves the active screen. He just seems to warp around, and whatever he is carrying gets dropped to a random room as soon as he flies offscreen.

I've left the a screen while the bat was chasing me (but he was still half a screen away) and in the next room he was coming at me from the opposite direction. Other times, I'll follow him to the next room and he'd be gone once I crossed the boundary.

On a side note, what is the difference between Quests 2.5 and 3?

yurnamehere on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think the bat may actually be broken. The game doesn't seem to properly track his position once he leaves the active screen. He just seems to warp around, and whatever he is carrying gets dropped to a random room as soon as he flies offscreen.

I've left the a screen while the bat was chasing me (but he was still half a screen away) and in the next room he was coming at me from the opposite direction. Other times, I'll follow him to the next room and he'd be gone once I crossed the boundary.

Well, I've been thinking about it a lot (about algorithms that is) and I think in the next version I'll make the bat more like the original game. I'll also tweak it to make it "more fair" as defined by the feedback I've received. The bat's current behavior was dictated not by design but by limited personal experience. But in the past couple of weeks I've come up with some good ideas to make it better. All I can promise is that I'll do my best :D

Do remember however that there are ways to mitigate the bat's annoyance.
    On a side note, what is the difference between Quests 2.5 and 3?

Quest 2.5 is a sort of middle ground between Quest 2 and Quest 3. The items are only semi-random. So they will be placed in certain specific areas along with a specific dragon. So each time you do Q2.5, you go to the same areas in the same order, you just don't know precisely which room they will be in. Also, there is a specific order that you go from one castle to another (based on the order of keys that you encounter).

It's really just a new semi-permanent/semi-random, newly ordered Quest that is different from Quest 2 but not overall random like Quest 3. Hence Quest "2.5."

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Here's a tip for quest 2 for all of those complaining.

as you leave the gold castle, let him pick up the sword, but out run and grab that son of a bitch in the clearing. He'll have the sword and you can then use your newly acquired bat-sword for stabbing dragons

delphinus on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Really the game ought to be, "Kill all the dragons" because as soon as all three of them are dead it's just a matter of time.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Really the game ought to be, "Kill all the dragons" because as soon as all three of them are dead it's just a matter of time.

thats why i play mostly on quest 3

randomized dragons that put the sword as far away from you as possible and you basically have to traverse the whole damn map with dragons chasing you till you find it. And if you're lucky the bat will be nowhere near the screen you find the sword

delphinus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Heheh. Perhaps.

On Easy and Medium, there's still potential that you'll get yourself stuck, and be forced to Press R, which will respawn you, and bring the Dragons back to life..

Then there's also the Hard and Expert difficulties. The Dragons flee from the Sword on these difficulties, which means that it's very, very difficult to actually kill them with the sword. Rather, on these difficulties, you have to use the sword to ward them off when you get to an item you need (like a key or the Chalice).

slash000 on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    slash000 wrote: »

Heheh. Perhaps.

On Easy and Medium, there's still potential that you'll get yourself stuck, and be forced to Press R, which will respawn you, and bring the Dragons back to life..

Then there's also the Hard and Expert difficulties. The Dragons flee from the Sword on these difficulties, which means that it's very, very difficult to actually kill them with the sword. Rather, on these difficulties, you have to use the sword to ward them off when you get to an item you need (like a key or the Chalice).

I swear I've sometimes seen them run from a non-sword item.

jothki on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If we're talking about the next version slash as well, I'd like to remix the Wharves. The congo percussion is completely gone with the releases tone down of the volume, I didn't realize it until I had played enough that I got a part where it's important, but I'll send off a new MIDI where perc has some louder dynamics if we could put it in.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    I swear I've sometimes seen them run from a non-sword item.

The Yellow dragon is always afraid of the Yellow key.

slash000 on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    See what you can do to externalize some of the assets. The game is a bit top-heavy @ 64 Meg

halkun on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    halkun wrote: »
    See what you can do to externalize some of the assets. The game is a bit top-heavy @ 64 Meg

Heheh, that sort of thing is dependent on this middleware, but I"ll try :D

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sweet.

Check out Destructoid.com right now.

slash000 on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Awesome, slash. :)