As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do I remove the cover on a drive bay?

DavaDava Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm trying to install a new drive in my Dell Inspiron. I removed the bezel/front panel to access the drive cage, and there's a metal panel covering the bay. It looks like it's attached somehow, or maybe even part of the cage. I don't see any clips. Any idea how to remove this thing?

000zp7cf

petition_banner.JPG
Dava on

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Have you tried just knocking it out with a screwdriver or a hammer?

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Invisible wrote: »
    I have you tried just knocking it out with a screwdriver or a hammer?

I tried prying it up a little with a screwdriver, but I stopped when I saw it's attached to the main piece. I don't know if it's welded on there or what! I'm not popping it off until I know for sure that that's what I'm supposed to do.

Dava on
    petition_banner.JPG
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is it screwed in on the sides?

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Is it screwed in on the sides?

As far as I can tell, no.

ETA: On closer inspection, I see that it is part of the main piece. There are small sections that aren't cut through. What would be the best way to get it off? Pry it up?

Dava on
    petition_banner.JPG
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Alright... gonna try prying it up. Thanks!

Dava on
    petition_banner.JPG
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Mine pries up. Then you wiggle it up and down a few times. The little bits holding it on snap off.

Re-reading it, that's an odd statement.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    To save money during production, the drive bays are intentionally stamped out like that. You will find something similar on most case models.

The metal isn't sturdy, so if you bend it back and forth a bit it will snap off. I don't recommend banging on it, because you could easily dent the surrounding metal.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I kind of bent mine up and down a couple times, then just turned it one direction till it snaps off. It leaves little sharp bits unfortunately, though after your drive is in, you shouldn't have much occasion to get your fingers near those. You could always file them down I guess.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hey, thanks, everybody! I ended up doing exactly what you all suggested, once I saw the perforations around the cover.

Dava on
    petition_banner.JPG