As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NBC][Heroes] - Officially Cancelled. This thread is about Summer Glau now.

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Maybe I just don't watch enough terrible shows like Law and Order.

Then again I generally just watch my recordings and skip the breaks, NBC is really a terrible network overall.

I saw ads before every movie I saw for a couple of months. I thought it was a movie.

@Top, Peter and Claire don't know.

Scooter on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A lot of the early ads were just 10 seconds clips with a audio quote, and an orange banner with a white butterfly on it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This is a bit of a spoiler, but I just heard it earlier from a pretty reliable source. :P
    Zachary Quinto quickly made it a point to tell his fans via his website that he will be back to filming on Heroes this June.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Please stop saying "the hunger". I'm trying really hard to wash that from my memory.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    * Imagines Peter/Sylar going through the woods singing "Hungry Like the Wolf" *

This season writes itself.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    Maybe I just don't watch enough terrible shows like Law and Order.

Then again I generally just watch my recordings and skip the breaks, NBC is really a terrible network overall.

I saw ads before every movie I saw for a couple of months. I thought it was a movie.

@Top, Peter and Claire don't know.

I guess thats my fault for not going to the overpriced cinemas, hasn't been a movie other than Gran Torino worth me going to see this year. (in my case)

<insert words about the finale being terrible>

Amikron Devalia on
  • obolon84obolon84 Good news, everyone! I just blue myself.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Maybe I lived in fantasy land, but until kings had actually aired, I saw not *1* ad for it, and even then the ad I saw was right after Kings. Hell I didn't know it had moved until I tried to watch it, and it wasn't on :P

Before it premiered, I kept seeing commercials for Kings, but they weren't very good and didn't get me interested in watching it, so those low numbers could be from people thinking the same thing. One day I decided to watch it on Hulu after hearing good things about it and I really like it now. Of course it's pretty much canceled.

I loved Season 1 of Heroes and actually didn't think Season 2 was bad. I got the DVDs pretty quickly after they came out. But for Season 3, I'm really not sure if I want to buy it. There's really nothing about it that I can remember, that I would want to re-watch. The finale was just disappointing, not much more I could say about it.

obolon84 on
    bJnuewi.jpg
  • Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Seems I need to watch more propaganda- I mean ads.

Amikron Devalia on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    First of all, can we cut the sidebar about Kings? Seriously, you guys have prattled on for a whole page now about how many commercials aired for Kings. Start your own thread.

Secondly, I'm pretty damn sure that no one bothered to even conceive of an explanation for why Sylar was flying. Sure, we could say it's TK, or that he just absorbed it, but I think the real reason is that the writers totally didn't even think about it beyond, "yeah, sure, have him fly, too, whatever."

This show suffers from horrible slot-machine writing. "Let's make Sylar's hunger actually part of his power (and not his human psyche), and Peter gets it and goes nuts! Oh my, what will Peter do? Nah, this is getting weird. Pull the handle. Doo-doo-doo-dee-dee-dee... let's start a love story between Sylar and Elle! Uh oh, ratings still going down, pull the handle and.... ching! Elle dies, now let's change who Sylar's real father is again! Uh-oh, fans aren't buying it... pull the handle and.... ding ding ding, a secret "Rebel" force guides the persecuted Heroes to salvation from behind a curtain of technology. Ratings still aren't great, just reveal that it's Micah and fake his death and forget it. Have we tried future painting yet? Yeah? How many times? Really? Oh. How about someone who has the power to heal other people? How many? Criminy. Well, Noah said that taking other people's powers is like the rarest power in existence, maybe we could create excitement by having another one of those show up? What, how many?!?! Well, let's just creep everyone out by having Sylar force Claire to have a little date night with him using his TK as puppet-strings. What's wrong with that? Puppeteer? Oh, yeah, I know, but it's cool, we shed that character a while back instead of pursuing the character development opportunity he presented for Claire."

Maybe volume 5 will constantly present us with new awesome characters like the Vortex guy, only to quickly kill them off so we can spend a couple more episodes redefining whether Noah is good or evil, creating more future-painters, time-travelers, dopplegangers and healers to totally mess up the plot, giving Sylar two or three more real dads, and don't forget, Nathan is Kenny and has to die every finale.

I mean, come on. Create an arc, one that's original, and stick with it. Quit flip-flopping to a whole new long-term conflict each episode, only to abruptly bludgeon it to death with the same gimmicky plot point you've used four times already and then start over before giving the arc a chance to pay off. So angry!!!

Yar on
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The thing is, it isn't really the first time Sylar's moved inexplicably like that. He's continually been able to move around very quickly, make tremendous jumps and leaps, hover so that work shop lady couldn't hear him coming, disappear from Denko's car, etc etc etc. And the pretty obvious reason is going to be, "TK does everything."

My problem is that, "TK does everything" is stupid. God, he was the fucking puppet master this last episode. That's how utterly retarded he's become. And the "Moving the spot" BS has gone overboard. He's like the kid you play pretend games with:

"Bang, I shot you!"

"Nuh-uh, I'm the Terminator!"

"I shot you with a rocket!"

"I shoved it away!"

"You did not, you didn't even move!"

"I was so fast you couldn't see me!"

"YOUR MOM DRINKS HEAVILY!!!!"

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wonder how Noah, Peter and Claire talked the President into letting peter do that.

"Mr. President, there's a powered guy who is going to shapeshift into you, kill you and take over your identity!"
    "Okay. What do you intend to do about it?"
    "I'm going to shapeshift into you and ambush him."
    "...Soo, you want to shapeshift into me, in order to stop someone from shapeshifting into me, because that would allow them to take over my identity?"
    ".....Yes."

"Somebody shoot this idiot."
    Also gotta wonder how Peter forced Sylar to take his own shape instead of what seemed to be an attempt at Presidential imitation.

SithDrummer on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wonder how Noah, Peter and Claire talked the President into letting peter do that.

"Mr. President, there's a powered guy who is going to shapeshift into you, kill you and take over your identity!"
    "Okay. What do you intend to do about it?"
    "I'm going to shapeshift into you and ambush him."
    "...Soo, you want to shapeshift into me, in order to stop someone from shapeshifting into me, because that would allow them to take over my identity?"
    ".....Yes."

"Somebody shoot this idiot."
    Also gotta wonder how Peter forced Sylar to take his own shape instead of what seemed to be an attempt at Presidential imitation.
    Trying to shapeshift into another shapeshifter may cause interference or something.

Besides, with all the other stupid stuff going on at the time it's hard to dwell on that particular issue.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I hate how the epic super-powered battle happened behind closed doors again. When I first started watching in season one, it was in anticipation of something like that. I know it would be expensive to film but it's once per season not every episode.

Also, wtf happens now? The only real antagonists left are Hydro-Tracy and maybe Denko if he manages to escape. Sylar will eventually revert to his old self but I don't see that happening right away. I think the first half of next season will either be a lot of filler or a lot of new characters.

Smurph on
  • Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm pretty sure the behind closed doors thing was a joke at the viewers expense.

Hilarious!

They blew their budget on Ali Larter's ass... Again.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yar wrote: »
    First of all, can we cut the sidebar about Kings? Seriously, you guys have prattled on for a whole page now about how many commercials aired for Kings. Start your own thread.

Uh...there was something like four posts.
    So angry!!!

Well, this part was at least true. Your blood pressure must be outrageous.

Raynaga on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Given that Sylar gave Danko the Puppetmaster, I can see justifying him having stolen his power before he handed him over.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited April 2009
    Given that Sylar gave Danko the Puppetmaster, I can see justifying him having stolen his power before he handed him over.

It was clearly TK. They even used the sound effect for it when he was pushing her around, if I recall correctly.

Raynaga on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The power is is TK anyway; the only difference is that the Puppetmaster (capital letter) was a neckbeard who never thought to exercise it without contorting his fingers and hands like a seizure victim.

SithDrummer on
    edited April 2009
    Tapping into someone's nervous system, or controlling their mind (whichever way it works) is different than surrounding someone with force and using that force to physically push them into doing motions.

Raynaga on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wait, I don't understand. People hated Volume 4? Volume 4 was fucking brilliant compared to the neverending clusterfuck that was Volume 3.

That aside, I'm wary about Volume 5. I really don't like that they brought back Ali Larter AGAIN, and instead of killing one of the lamest characters (Nathan), they brought him back to life FOREVER and killed the best character on the show.

Sylar better burst out of Nathan's brain in like 2 episodes.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sylar's TK puppetry wasn't nearly as good as the actual puppetry.

Edit: By which I mean it was jerky and looked nowhere as smooth as neckbeard.

Quid on
  • CleonicusCleonicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wait, I don't understand. People hated Volume 4? Volume 4 was fucking brilliant compared to the neverending clusterfuck that was Volume 3.

I don't understand why people don't like getting pissed on. I mean it's totally better than having someone take a dump on you.

However, I do think the formating change from trying to follow every character for every show to just focusing on one or two stories per show was much better. No more 10 minutes of plot advancement per show. Now they just need to have people stop acting stupid, but I think that is too much to ask for in a TV show.

Cleonicus on
    Debate 'n' DeHockey team: Astronauts
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cleonicus wrote: »

I don't understand why people don't like getting pissed on. I mean it's totally better than having someone take a dump on you.

However, I do think the formating change from trying to follow every character for every show to just focusing on one or two stories per show was much better. No more 10 minutes of plot advancement per show. Now they just need to have people stop acting stupid, but I think that is too much to ask for in a TV show.

Well, for me, Volume 3 was just cartoonishly ridiculous, even for a show about superheroes. Every week was just crazy-ass unbelievable shit happening for 40 minutes, and then me being all like "Wait....so WHAT the fuck happened this week??" Volume 4 was more slowly paced, like you said there were several episodes focusing only on 4 or 5 characters, it was if not more realistic, then at least less outright absurd (at least until the Nathan/Sylar switcheroo and maybe a couple other things). Just think, Volume 3 had: the completely underwhelming and ridiculous Level 5, all sorts of retarded time travel fuckery, the Petrelli's dad comes back to life and kills everyone, the absolutely moronic Catalyst bullshit, the absolutely moronic The Hunger bullshit, the absolutely moronic Eclipse bullshit, Sylar and Elle fall in love but fall out of love and then Elle dies in less than a 3 episode span, Sylar becomes good then bad then good then bad then good then bad, Mohinder becomes a crazy spiderman, oh and several people go to Africa to take useless spirit walks.

Compared to all that, I thought Volume 4 was pretty reasonable and straightforward. Like, at least I knew what the fuck was going on most of the time.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

So apt.

So so apt.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited April 2009
    It's things like this last season of Heroes that make Lost make sense.

Scary isn't it?

Amikron Devalia on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Thawmus wrote: »

My problem is that, "TK does everything" is stupid. God, he was the fucking puppet master this last episode. That's how utterly retarded he's become. And the "Moving the spot" BS has gone overboard. He's like the kid you play pretend games with:

"Bang, I shot you!"

"I shoved it away!"

HA HA! This is so true. So, so true. Sylar being invincible was as big a problem as Hiros time control and Peters "take every power with no effort"-iness. One of the best scenes in the entire series IMO is that there is this incredibly powerful serial killer out there and yet two heroes subdue him effortlessly, Haitian and Eden. He wasnt a god, he was powerful sure but was still beatable.

Hes been elevated to insane levels of dickishry and he just isnt fun to watch anymore.

But he hasnt been fun to watch since he was unmasked/deshadowed.

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2009
    Yes volume 4 was better than 3. If the finale had been better, I would have put the show squarely back on track. But the finale was volume-3 levels of stupidity.

Yar on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thawmus wrote: »

"Bang, I shot you!"

"I shoved it away!"

HA HA! This is so true. So, so true. Sylar being invincible was as big a problem as Hiros time control and Peters "take every power with no effort"-iness. One of the best scenes in the entire series IMO is that there is this incredibly powerful serial killer out there and yet two heroes subdue him effortlessly, Haitian and Eden. He wasnt a god, he was powerful sure but was still beatable.

Hes been elevated to insane levels of dickishry and he just isnt fun to watch anymore.

But he hasnt been fun to watch since he was unmasked/deshadowed.

I found him interesting and fun to watch through all of season 1 and a lot of season 2. When they finally gave him regeneration and started the whole "I'm good, I'm bad, I'm in love, I'm not in Love, THE HUNGER!!!" malarky.

Shit, one of my favorite parts of the series is when Sylar realizes he's going to kill a city full of people, and can't comprehend why he would do that, as it would serve no purpose for achieving his goals. So he calls Mohinder to try and find some kind of moral grounding. 'course Mohinder had to be a dick about it.

Undead Scottsman on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My main problem with Sylar is that people stop attacking him. When the crazy super guy that regenerates goes down, KEEP DOING STUFF TOO HIM. Cut his fucking head off, stick a grenade up his ass, anything.

So great he can regenerate, but he's not fucking cell from DBZ who will come back even after being vaporized.

override367 on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    I kept anticipating Sylar cutting Claire's head off and sending it into the ocean. The whole time he was going through the speech about killing all of Claire's loves ones for the next hundred years I was expecting him to just say he would save him self the trouble later and end it now. What a let down, in so many ways.

Fizban140 on
    edited April 2009
    No he can't kill Claire, he has a fetish for "everlivings" like himself. He and Claire can go back and forth forever till one of them finally gets axed. What a terrible waste of Sylar.

Personally I *really* liked when it seemed Sylar was reaching a middle ground, realizing he didn't have to just be a "monster" but could do whatever the fuck he wanted. Regardless of that is having a normal happy life, or snap his finger and blow up buildings. For example even the stuff with fireboy as they went to see his dad, it really seemed as if he was "getting it".

I guess thats too much to hope for in a show like Heroes tho.

Amikron Devalia on
    edited April 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »

So apt.

So so apt.

It's a tv show. You can always not watch it. Just pretend it doesn't exist.

Now if someone's taking a dump on you... that's going to be a lot harder to ignore.
    Some people like getting pissed on

Not apt! 8-)

Sunday_Assassin on
    edited April 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »

So apt.

So so apt.

It's a tv show. You can always not watch it. Just pretend it doesn't exist.

That's what I've been doing. What I know is gleaned from this thread, some episodes of the 3rd season I've seen and that I got curious and watched the finale from itunes. It's just really terrible and I am certainly not going to spend more of my time trying to watch this.

Aegeri on
    edited April 2009
    I enjoyed the finale to be honest.

It was better than most of this season, anyway.

But then I don't have particularly high standards when it comes to superhero tv melodramas starring Ali Larter and Jess from Gilmore Girls.

Now there was a good show.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I know this is kind of drastic, but I would support a ContinuityWipe of everything that happened after Season One, and just reboot from there. Pretend everything didn't happen, or just pull the best bits out of it, and use it. Kensei, goddamnit. Adam had so much goddamn potential. Ancient Japan had so much goddamn potential. All wasted. There is just so much stuff in Heroes that absolutely reeked of potential and was just thrown to the side instead.

Jintor on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The whole "I moved the spot" thing reminds of one of the Drizzt books, wherein a wizard polymorphs his brain into his rump to avoid a mindflayer sucking it out.

That's probably where Sylar's is as well. Long sharp object into the butt. It's the only way to be sure.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Question: You were right: The Heroes finale was fantastic. Any scoop on season 4? --Eric
    Ausiello: Tracy's whole revenge arc will serve as a centerpiece of next fall's "Redemption" volume.

Red part: The fuck?
    Bolded part: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2009
    Question: You were right: The Heroes finale was fantastic. Any scoop on season 4? --Eric
    Ausiello: Tracy's whole revenge arc will serve as a centerpiece of next fall's "Redemption" volume.

Hahaha, this can only get worse.

Aegeri on
    edited April 2009
    What in all holy hell was "fantastic" about it? Fantastically crappy? Fantastically unfantastic?

There was like two seasons' worth of "what the gah?!" in that finale. Not a damn thing made any sense.

One word. Boo.

Yar on
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

You have GOT to be fucking with me....there is no way someone thought that would turn into good TV, right?

....right??

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83