As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SFII HDRemix: Your Shit is Going Get Kicked in the Fuck!

1353637383941»

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Super Street fighter II adds the super move to the game.

Each iteration is a moderate change in the game. If memory serves me correctly, they released games so frequently to keep up with people that modded the game. For example, the original feels a little slow, Arcade owners made things go faster... Capcom releases a new iteration of SF2 to keep competitive.

Try them all, and go with personal preference. If you ask me, HDRemix is SF2 perfected.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    RuffNiteRuffNite Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Other than ST/HDRemix, Street Fighter II Turbo (I think hyper fighting is the original name for it) is one of my favourites in the series. Some say it's more balanced than ST.

I tried new challengers but it's just too damn slow. New characters can't save it from being a yahn-fest.

RuffNite on
    xbl: RuffNite
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Quite thread....tournament signups are starting now!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=84273&page=25

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    hey if anyone on the ps3 still plays this message me sometime, i would love to get some fights in.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How many hear finished their aceivements up with this?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just sent a request to PASFHDR. If the owner of that account could add me so I can sneak in some awesome tournament practice, I would be grateful.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    If you go to the second post in the thread under the last spoiler you'll find a list of forumers and their XBL tags.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    edited April 2009
    So in the mvc2 thread acidlacedpenguin proposed we play HDR once a week again. I'd very much like this. Anyone around?

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would be up for this. If only to reduce the terribleness that is me playing HDR.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    There are definitely people here that can certainly bring the rapage. We're all pretty friendly as you like dick jokes and you think jumping short kick is hilarious.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm down. These next few days are going to be kinda tight with free time, but next week I should be available.

I suck something fierce at Street Fighter 4 because it's not HD Remix, but I am good at HD Remix, because it's HD Remix, and I actually enjoy it! I'm actually attempting to avoid playing with Bison so as not to ruin my game with him in HDR.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh man, tournament time. I haven't played much HDR lately, mostly SF4. Gotta remember:

f+FP to throw, f+FP to throw, f+FP to throw, f+FP to throw, f+FP to throw

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Oh man, tournament time. I haven't played much HDR lately, mostly SF4. Gotta remember:

f+FP to throw, f+FP to throw, f+FP to throw, f+FP to throw, f+FP to throw

Last time I played HDR I couldn't stop myself from attempting to dash. My brain is apparently not capable of handling two sf systems at once. My match shall bring much hilarity to my opponent.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Sf3-gill.jpg
    RESURRECTION!

oh wait...

So... I'm resurrecting this thread to link to a recent Sirlin (HDR pro & worked on the dev of HDR) post about HDR at EVO 09. It's long, but its a damn good read.
    Sirlin wrote:
    Evolution 2009
    TUESDAY, JULY 21, 2009 AT 8:28PM
    The 2009 edition of the biggest annual fighting game tournament in the US is now over. Evolution featured six main fighting games this year, though I'll mostly talk about Street Fighter HD Remix, and quick notes about a couple other games at the end.

Street Fighter HD Remix Team Tournament
    Let's start with the team tournament. After reading hundreds and hundreds of posts about how Fei Long is bad, written by people who don't know the first thing what they are talking about, I picked Fei Long in the team tournament. I beat entire teams by myself, back to back. I beat the main defensive Honda (Thelo) and the main offensive Honda (EA Megaman). Thelo went on to get 5th in the singles tournament and EA Megaman already got 3rd at the Devestation tournament in Arizona. I actually have dozens of casual matches recorded of my Fei Long versus both their Hondas and I'll link to them soon so you can see how to win that match. After all that, I asked them if they thought Honda even had *advantage* in that match and EA Megaman said "I don't know anymore" while Thelo just said "This match isn't supposed to be so hard, I don't get it."

Anyway, I also beat Ryan Heart of Tekken fame, Damdai's Ken, Nohoho's Blanka, and more. In fact, I would have won the entire team tournament were it not for losing to Chun Li (I think it was Chris Doyle?). I had him to a sliver of life, baited his jump correctly, then failed to execute my reversal super. I should have just gone for flame kick, but oh well, that was the difference between us winning the tournament and getting 2nd. My teammates lost to him too. Antonio (Blanka, Bluetallcans on xbla) and famous Zangief player Kuni were great, but didn't pull it off that time.

In an ironic footnote, NKI, who has loudly complained how terrible Chun Li is, lost to Chun Li in the team tournament while playing as Bison (dictator). Though I beat like a dozen people myself in that tournament, one of the only two to beat me was Chun Li. NKI went on to lose the semifianls the next day as Dictator as well. NKI Strategy: lose with Dictator while others win with Chun Li? (Sorry NKI, just teasing you, I'm kidding.) I told Caesar, Chun Li player from Southern California: "If Chun Li is the worst character in the game (she isn't, right?), then she is the most powerful worst character ever in a fighting game." Caeser laughed and said "she seems ok to me."

Main SF HD Remix Tournament
    Since I beat just about everyone the day before with Fei Long, hey, why not keep going. I picked Fei Long against almost every opponent, except when I had to counter Balrog with Cammy (yeah that's not a typo) and BruceAskew, but we'll get to that.

First up I played a T.Hawk player who I barely beat. I could not even execute Rekka punches at all for some reason. After the match, I asked to test the equipment and verified that Rekka punches really weren't coming out. I don't even mean the series of 3 punches, I just mean doing one in the first place--just a qcf+p motion. I could get it maybe 20%. Something was wrong. Then I switched sticks and did the test again on the same PS3. The new stick was SweetJohnnyV's and it was also a Madcatz TE stick, which should be identical. This time I could do Rekka punches 100%, a dramatic difference. Maybe the first stick was just broken? I assumed so and forgot about that whole thing until later....

I then won more matches with Fei Long and had one match scheduled on the big screen. It was a honda player, so I planned to counterpick with Fei Long. That's right haters, I said that. Anyway, I did not end up playing that match on the big screen. I read about this in several different forum posts and their absurd rhetoric makes my cry for humanity. The correct thing to say was "we are not sure why Sirlin didn't play that one on the big screen." Instead, bad people who give our race a bad name filled in this event with manufactured "facts" and said that I "refused to play" the match for various bullshit reasons. Each and every one of you should be ashamed of yourselves. Why make statement when you don't know what you're talking about? (Par for the course in any Fei Long thread, by the way, burn.)

What actually happened is this, and it's pretty boring and non-drama. Daigo complained that the big screen setup had lag. Daigo had lost a match there earlier, by the way, for some reason picking Guile twice against some Vega. Anyway, Kuni *emphatically* complained his match had lag also. He asked me to get the staff to stop running matches and test it, so we did. I pressed fierce about 3 times with Fei Long and it clearly had lag. Kuni laughed, asking that is all the test I need? I said "you saw me play against those Honda's right? I have done about 5,000 stand fierces in the last two days, I know what they are supposed to look like." To be safe, I did more tests for a couple minutes. It had lag. Kuni agreed. I heard that others who tested it agreed too. I heard exactly zero people who tested it and said it's ok. Maybe someone did say that, but I wasn't aware of anyone saying that, only the overwhelming evidence that it was laggy. Tournament director Tom Cannon asked if I wanted to play on that setup or on one of the TVs used in the pools. He said he didn't care, they just need to know and they'd try to address the problem later. Kuni shook his head at me as if to say I would be insane to play on that TV, given there are like 20 known lagless setups just a few feet away. I said I'd play in the pools. I defeated Mike Lai's honda there, and the judge for that pool recorded it on his shaky cam. Maybe you'll see it on youtube soon.

The Evolution staff later replaced the TV used for the big screen matches and several of us tested it, including me, Choi, and NKI. We all thought the new setup did not have lag, so I'm glad this problem was addressed.

Anyway, I'm guessing most of you who watched the web stream only saw two of my matches, and they were unfortunately not very representative. The first was against BruceAskew, who plays DeeJay. Bruce is a top player on XboxLive and incredibly strong at DeeJay. He is the real deal. Even after all my wins with Fei Long over the last two days, I just didn't think it was a good idea versus his DeeJay. I have experience against Afrolegend's DeeJay in ST tournaments when I played as Vega, so I thought that was the best choice here. In HD Remix, DeeJay only improved (slightly) while Vega only got worse (slightly), but still the match is similar. The problem with that match is that it requires incredibly precise timing on Vega's part to hit DeeJay's moves. If you just stumble into it, DeeJay will win. So every damn poke of every round, I have to fully concentrate to do it exactly perfectly timed. I won, and afterwards just lied down on the floor, kind of shaking. That took way more out of me than any other match of the entire tournament.

I qualified for top 8 in winners at this point. The other 3 winners-side qualifiers were John Choi, Afrolegends, and Thelo. Note that Thelo is a sirlin.net regular, so actually 50% of the winner's side of the top 8 was sirlin.net players. The next day, I was to play Choi while Thelo was to play afrolegends.

In previous years, I thought I was really hurt by having to play "cold" in the finals. As a player, I much prefer to play final 8 right after semifinals. As a spectator and tournament organizer, of course I understand and want the finals on a separate day. Anyway, this time I played a couple hours of warmup games in a hotel room using EA Megaman's stick. You'll see why I mention this in a minute.

On stage, I faced Choi. Of course he would play Ryu, and I had a lot of characters I might reasonably pick against him. For example, Vega is the "safe" choice because I have played him in that match a lot in tournaments before, and it's hardly different in HD Remix than in ST. We both know the match and we both know what the other player will do. But I thought it was just smarter to pick some match where something was different that Choi might not be experienced against. Choi is better than me so playing it straight is probably not my best bet. The better player should play it safe and the weaker player should try to make an educated gamble.

So I tried Fei Long. I have beat numerous Ryus, but of course John Choi's is on another level entirely. I won one game, but lost the set 2-1. Now, let me clearly state that Choi is a champion, Choi is a better player than me, Choi deserves his place (he went on to get 2nd). But, I don't feel that match was representative. I actually think some sort of ps3 bug was going on that hurt me pretty badly. I started most rounds with fierce rekka punch, except it came out 0 times. Every single attempt came out as low fierce. During that match, many rekka punches (even rekka x 1, I mean) did not come out and I just got fierce. But *sometimes* it did come out. Rekka x 3 seemed almost impossible. It felt just like that very first match against that T.Hawk player where I thought the stick was broken. But this time, I know there was no problem with the stick. I just played with it for hours right before the finals (though it was on a different ps3...).

Now, I have bad execution, I know that. It's not like "I missed a combo therefore some equipment has failed." Not at all. But I don't even mean combos here, I just mean a basic ability to do moves at all. I've started hundreds of matches with a Rekka punch, and I don't recall ever missing it once. It's just a fireball motion. I wasn't nervous, I wasn't thrown off by ps3 speeds being different (they are, it seems, though with 2 days of practice on ps3, I never had this problem at all except here and in that t.hawk match, first round.) If this problem is real, and I don't know if it is, it's pretty insidious. Checking buttons by doing normal moves worked fine in both cases and moving my character worked fine. It's only special moves that didn't.

Later, I realized something else. I heard this second-hand, but from two different people so I'll assume I'm reporting it correctly. Apparently Watson and Choi did some test of Ryu vs. Ryu. Ryu1 knocks down Ryu2. Ryu1 then does meaty fierce as Ryu2 gets up. Ryu2 attempts to reversal dp. Apparently Choi claimed (and I heard this second-hand, so sorry if I'm getting this wrong) that he could not reversal dp in that situation at all. Literally zero times out of many, many tries. I initially wrote this off as ridiculous because of course you can reversal that, I have done it plenty of times myself...on Xbox360. But it sounds suspiciously like the "specials moves don't come out sometimes" problem. Perhpas some sticks with some PS3s have this problem? Perhaps there is some randomness and it's hard to tell when it will occur? Perhaps it's not real at all? I don't know, but I don't trust PS3 anymore in this game. We already know the confirmed button config problem on PS3 (slowed the HD Remix team tournament by hours probably). And PS3 online play is worse, so it's bad to practice on during the year. Also the speed seems different. So Evolution should really, really switch to Xbox 360 next year for HD Remix, MvC2, and basically everything it can.

Back to Sirlin vs. Choi. Not much to say here, really. I did my best. I had a lot of trouble even doing special moves at all. I barely got the mixup going like once, and barely won a game. Choi won the set.

My next match was against Graham Wolfe. He played Balrog and I countered with Cammy. She's pretty good at rushing down, so it's not too hard to stick to Balrog and keep the pressure up. I think my controls actually were working properly this time (I think??), but I was so paranoid about them not working that I think I let it get to me a little. Before we started, I requested to try something, and I did rekka punch x 3, twice in a row so it did appear to be working fine. Anyway, when I beat Graham the first game, I saw by his expression that he probably thought, "Cute trick, let's see that again." He stuck to Balrog and won. I switched to Bison. I'm pretty confident in that match, but I played kind of terribly and got hit by his low roundhouse for no good reason a few times. Graham won and I got 5th.

Thelo, newschool Honda player, also got 5th. He defeated Jason Cole along the way (wow), and on finals day had his first match against Afrolegends. I told Thelo there is no secret here. Afrolegends knows both Balrog and DeeJay versus Honda like the back of his hand. He is world-class. The only thing you can do is stick to fundamentals and hope he makes a mistake. Thelo nodded, saying that in this game, a mistake can easily lead to a round loss. I think he understood the right attitude to have when you are at disadvantage: just play anyway and don't give up.

There were rounds where I thought "from this point on in the round, Thelo's honda will not deal any more damage because he's kept out." But somehow, he would manage to get into a position to do hundred hands (blocked), then threaten with buttslam and still be in the match. It was close round after close round, but Afrolegends did win.

This was Afrolegend's year, by the way. For like 6 months now, I haven been saying that he would win (and Choi would likely get 2nd), and it did happen. Afrolegends is not as old school as some of us, but he is a new champion and clearly a class act. I've actually never been beat so badly in casual play by anyone ever before him, so that was my first clue. He did not lose one single game the entire tournament until the Grand Finals, where I think Choi won 2 games, but Afrolegends still won the tournament. Wow. He used Balrog the whole time (I think?) except against thelo's Honda, where he used DeeJay. I know we consider Balrog top, but his DeeJay is as good or better than his Balrog, if you ask me, so maybe we'll see him win next year's Evolution with DeeJay.

In this year's top 8, a Fei Long won a game and a Cammy won a game (both me). Neither has ever happened before in top 8, to my knowledge. Honda made it. We also saw a Zangief (Damdai's counter to Balrog). Of the 16 characters, we actually saw 10 in the final 8. The only 6 that didn't appear were Guile, Blanka, Chun Li, Sagat, Vega, T.hawk. They just need the right players and they could have been in there just as easily. (Can I win with Vega next year or do I have to keep proving that those other characters are good too?)

Congratulations to Afrolegends, Choi, and Damdai for 1st, 2nd, 3rd. I have my third 5th place in a row this years, so I guess I'm collecting them.

Can someone with a ps3 comment on the oranged part in the spoiler?

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd just like to say that the thread title is wrong, because clearly...
    YOUR shit is going get kicked in the fuck.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    well i played a lot of this game on the ps3 and the button config resetting is really annoying, and the online is horrible for randomly kicking you or kicking everyone in a room or just not working, but ive never noticed special moves not working. honestly nothing backbone shits out surprises me any more though, theyre basically the fucking worst.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »

Despite the shortcoming you mention, this thread title is pretty great.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »

Despite the shortcoming you mention, this thread title is pretty great.

Undoubtedly so. I mean, its Macho Man Randy Savage.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    edited July 2009
    i should note that even with all that i still consider this an awesome game and worth the price tag

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    i should note that even with all that i still consider this an awesome game and worth the price tag

I mean, I have it on 360, but I'm curious because I'm seriously considering buying it on ps3 (when I get one) to play my xboxless friends.

That way I can blame my bad execution on something else .

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I mean, I have it on 360, but I'm curious because I'm seriously considering buying it on ps3 (when I get one) to play my xboxless friends.

Sure, sure.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Sure, sure.

Listen you! I'll... um...

dammit.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Sure, sure.

dammit.

jumping short kick?

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Sure, sure.

dammit.

jumping short kick?

jumping short into totem rape

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    Signum Ex SonitusSignum Ex Sonitus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just picked this up. So awesome. Let me know if you guys are playing this weekend.

Signum Ex Sonitus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I can't play this weekend, or for the next few weeks for that matter...

god damn you phd entrance exam...

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    Signum Ex SonitusSignum Ex Sonitus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A shame. Good luck though.

Signum Ex Sonitus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Can you smell it? Can you feel it? That's right, it's time once again to rumble...

Penny Arcade Style!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    After compiling the results from the PM's I've received, I went ahead and removed some of the less popular choices from the list. The new player list is as follows:

Game-System-SET players-SST players

HDR 360 7/4

In the case of the tournaments with less than 8 participants (HDR and MvC2), I'm going to change them to double elimination. The only drawback is that there must be 8 players or it's a no go.

Spread the word! Sign ups will be ending one week from now, August the 16th.

If we don't get one more for the HDR tourney I will cut the lot of you!

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    edited August 2009
    Well... if it's a matter of the tournament not happening, I'll play. Gotta get internet back at the apartment first though, goddamn Comcast...

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I already signed up, and you know how little HDR I've been playing some come on and sign up guys.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Got a few questions for you, as someone who doesn't have the hardware to get this game.

I'm assuming online matches are just like local versus matches. You pick your characters, attack level, and stage. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

- How often do you face T. Hawk/Fei Long/Dee Jay/Cammy players?

- Does changing the attack level also affect the ability to dizzy your opponent, or anything else besides the strength/damage of your attacks?

- If both players were to change their attack levels to 1 star or 8 star, does that affect the tier lists, or at least the strategy of that player's combos? (Example: You're in a match where you have only a sliver of health, but you are able to get off a combo against your opponent. Under default attack levels, that combo does just enough damage to give you the victory. At 1 star attack levels, performing the same combo wouldn't kill your opponent. At the end of your combo, you're wide open to get attacked and KO'd. Does this make sense?)

- What have the previous PA SSF2THDR tournaments, or super-serious touraments (like EVO), used for attack levels?

I want to think 1 star attack levels just simply lowers the damage you cause to allow for longer fights and less chance of cheesy victories. But I'd like to make sure of that.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    In online matches, you don't pick attack level or stage. Attack level is fixed in SSF2THDR and stages are just chosen at random.

Those four don't show up in online matches all that often, but back when I used to play ranked matches, when they did show up, you could definitely expect someone to really know their shit with them, since they aren't all that easy to get a hang of and aren't top tier characters (stopped the scrubs from picking them).

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!