As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lets try another kick at the can

JawkneeJawknee Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Artist's Corner
Quick chase film I did.
Really no story behind it, just looking for some constructive criticism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWDdhzAyV20

And..
Quick commercial I did.
Thought up, filmed & edited in a day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSJHKBrkeLI

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jawknee on

• Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think you need to scrap the filters and editing techniques. Filters and things cover up mistakes in what is the most crucial part. The filming. Your filming off a little handcam I would say by the look of the shakes. A small camera is best to be held at waist height near your crotch as it is a low center of gravity and your arms can be fairly relaxed.

If you are keen to get into a film area you need to pick what you want to do.

Cinematography
    Directing
    Editing
    Special effects

It doesnt really pay to be an all rounder. In the past I have had editing jobs doing things like news broadcasts etc and for me it was easy but it was also really boring however its the easiest one to get a job in.

If you want to do cinematography you really need to pay attention to design principles, spacing in the shot as well as learn how to white balance and measure colour temperature properly.

Having said that I think your cuts could be allot better in the first movie. The transitions dont flow overly well. You need to pay attention to what side of the frame people leave and enter in when placing your edits.

There are a few parts I really liked including the ocean ripple sort of wave when the hooded chaser is coming towards the camera as well as when he runs past and the cape flys over the screen.

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Thanks, the advice is greatly appreciated.

These are my first shorts/films I've ever really done.
    It's hard to stick with one of the categories you've given me because at my school we only work in groups of 2 or 3, giving everyone multiple jobs.

The first and second film I did all the work for lol, from editing to acting to directing.

Jawknee on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Jawknee wrote: »
    It's hard to stick with one of the categories you've given me because at my school we only work in groups of 2 or 3, giving everyone multiple jobs./QUOTE]

Yeah this is what I did at uni to. We had groups of 3 or 4 and we did different jobs for different projects. So in my project I filmed, someone else did the boom work and the other on lighting. The main reason its done like this is to give you exposure to all the areas of making a film (well most).

I think by far what makes a film look professional is the raw image (framing and colour balance) as well as the sound. Dodgey sound makes for a home made sort of look.

I assume your school is going through rules of thirds etc. Things like that and other basic design principles are really the important fundamentals to learn. Once you learn them you can diverge off into different areas and really have fun with your editing. I really got into experimental film and rotorscoping on whiteboards in my last year at uni. Ill see if I can compress one enough to chuck on youtube when I get home.

Dom

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    haha I'll need to wait till uni to learn about the rule of thirds. This is a high school course im taking, so there is nearly no funding at all.

He gives us handicams and tells us to go out and film basically.
    Trying to do a music video next, any tips on how to film that?

Jawknee on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh boy, still in high school? Now I feel like a pedophile

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Jawknee wrote: »
    He gives us handicams and tells us to go out and film basically.
    Trying to do a music video next, any tips on how to film that?

Music videos normally rely on editing effects.

Maybe mess about with chroma keys and blue screening. You may not have access to a blue/ green screen but how aboout do something like film infront of a white wall and then key out the white from the wall. Adding a background in of course. It might look something trippy :)

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    hah, I have access to a green screen, thats about all.

lol here my teacher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjNEDnqvNb4

We had to green screen him and add a lightsaber effect to the stick. I ended up with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woAqglNQayM

....He thought it was amazing lol

Jawknee on
  • Options
    rchourchou Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Keep making films. Focus on two things: your cuts, and where you place the camera. Do not film an interesting shot simply because it is interesting. Do not use a funky dissolve simply because it is built into your editing software. Motivate everything: think about everything. This is the best advice I was given as a young filmmaker, and I wish I followed it sooner.

Film is no different than any other art medium. Practice makes perfect.

rchou on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    lol.. kinda funny. I like the fact you have access to a green screen. You over did it with the editing though. Try experimenting with a few things at a time that are consistent. I didnt think you needed to add lukes face. It made it look allot worse than it could of. Now you have some green screened footage. Go out and film some random stuff and try putting it behind your teacher instead of what you have. Dont rely just on the editing to make it interesting. It will never work

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    Thanks

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    I didn't get to this thread in time because the video links don't work.

And now I am sad.

• Options
    Sublimus wrote: »
    I didn't get to this thread in time because the video links don't work.

And now I am sad.

I'm sorry you missed out. Shouldn't have replied though. You're on a list now. I really wish i had access to the videos.