As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oven cooking thin chicken slices

GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Say you were to cook some sliced chicken breast, with the slices being maybe about a centimetre (note the crazy European measurement) thick, in an oven at 200 Celcius (and again), how long would you give them? They'll be spaced out, not stacked or anything.

Not long I'd imagine, but they'll be covered in gunk, so it'll be hard to judge how long they're needing, and I'll have other stuff to do. Just need a rough ballpark, and I'll toss in a slice that isn't covered in anything to measure by, but it'll be nice to have a rough idea of time needed.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
Grislo on

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    until they're 170 degrees fahrenheit. (76.6 celcius)

Kinda need to know what you're putting on them, but it'll probably be somewhere between 35-50 minutes, depending on what's on them.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    When you say that they will be covered in gunk, what do you mean? How much gunk? What is the composition of the gunk in question?

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    30 minutes?
    not really sure.. but that's what i'd be aiming for. perhaps a bit less if you preheat the oven

usually with oven dishes: if it looks edible, go for it. Just pop one of the slices out, cut it open on a plate and give it a look/ taste.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Heh, by gunk I basically mean something along the lines of a barbecue marinade, nothing too severe/thich. I was thinking 25-30 minutes, so I guess I'll test one at around the 30 minute mark.

I'd generally not use the 'just taste' approach with chicken, though.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Just cut one in half and see if it's cooked. Uncooked chicken is pink and fleshy, cooked chicken is white and fibrous.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    I'd grill that sort of thing. 7 minutes a side, max. Probably more like 5.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'd agree with with Cat, if you have a grill go for it.

However, if you're dead set on the oven - I'd say check at 20-25 minutes and cut open a slice.

For comparison, when I make potatoes au gratin in the oven, I stick whole chicken breasts in there (like 1.5 -2 inches thick) and cover them with the raw potatoes and sauce. I only cook that for 25 minutes. So 20 should be enough for just some thin slices with some marinade. Just let the oven pre-heat first and still check for pink, you never know

Spherick on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This:
    Grislo wrote: »
    I was thinking 25-30 minutes, so I guess I'll test one at around the 30 minute mark.

Plus this:
    Just cut one in half and see if it's cooked. Uncooked chicken is pink and fleshy, cooked chicken is white and fibrous.

Equals:
    Happy nomnom

Basically the above is what I do. When the meat is white and the juice coming out of it is clear (non-pink) you're good to go

Movitz on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wouldn't slice the chicken before you cook it. I think thin strips would dry out in the oven really fast. Can you cook the breasts whole and slice them after they are done?

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I slice them all the time. It saves an enormous amount of cooking time. The window of perfectness is of course shortened though, as the whole cooking process gets condensed.

Movitz on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If they're marinated before, that would help with the drying out. I agree with Cat; does your oven have a Broiler setting?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Cat wrote: »
    I'd grill that sort of thing. 7 minutes a side, max. Probably more like 5.
    Grilling is great, but if the chicken strips have some kind of sticky coating then grilling might not be the best choice.

I often get this spicy peanut bake mix from a local store. It's like shake 'n bake with a Thai twist, it's really tasty. We'll cut chicken into strips, toss 'em in the peanut bake mix, put 'em on a cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes in an oven preheated to 350F. I'd never put these on the grill, it'd sticky up the grill something fierce and much of the tasty coating would end up under the grill and not in my mouth.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer