As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MISC] How is the job market in Seattle?

GodmeatGodmeat Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in PAX Archive
Looks like my wife might be getting laid off, and my job is terrible.

How is the job market up that way?

How are rents?

Godmeat on

• Options
    The DIMDThe DIMD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Depends what market you're in. The entertainment market is getting larger, but construction and manual labor are laying people off at increasing rates; at least the last time I checked the stats.

I work at a telecommunications company who's still hiring despite the economy, so I know there's places around the area that are looking still... but, like most places these days though, it's pretty competitive no matter where you go.

Searching for an apartment myself, the renting prices are a little cheaper than they used to be, but they are still really high from most people's point of view. $700 for a 1 bedroom is pretty common in the outskirts... in the city though, I'm not to sure.

The DIMD on
    <+ACC3SS> 4chan doesn't make me cringe as much as you do, The_DIMD.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I hear you. We're both kind of young (well, mid-20's), and trying to figure out what we REALLY want to do, so neither of us are cemented in any particular industry.

My wife has been doing HR for the past few years, and I have a lot of admin and database-type experience.

Godmeat on
  • Options
    dovirstrgndovirstrgn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thinking about coming to stay, huh?

Rent is a bit high - it's above average, but not as high as California cities or the big East Coast locales. Cost of living is moderately high, though I'm not the best to ask about that because I live a weird life (eating all fresh local food, for example, means I spend a whole lot of my income on food and not much on things like eating out and similar). The gal and I lucked into our place; it's a smallish 2-1 downstairs unit in a duplex in a nice neighborhood (off Phinney, near Green Lake if you're looking around), and we pay just under a grand a month plus utilities. You'll pay a lot more closer in to downtown, and you'd have to either get someplace pretty small/crappy, or go pretty far away from town, to pay much less (I think - correct me if I'm wrong, people).

The job market is mixed; there's a lot of so-called "creative economy" here, so if you're a PC jockey or an artistic type, you'll probably do okay. There's a lot of science, too, thanks to the UW, especially medical research. Finance and retail are down just like everywhere else, though not so bad as some other cities. When we moved up here two years ago, I had to look for work for a couple months, but she found some right away.

I love it here, but it is dark and wet for a lot of the year, so if you think that'll get you down, well, be aware. The summers are glorious, though.

Don't plan on an automobile commute if you can help it - live on a transit route. It'll save you money in the long run and the traffic situation here is pretty bad. Transit is pretty good and it's getting better as the new light rail goes in.

I don't know - some people say they couldn't stand it here, but by and large they've never lived here. I think it's a pretty good place!

dovirstrgn on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Last I checked those are still doable markets. HR I've seen ads for on craigslist and the like, so I know they're out there.

Yeah... I'm pretty much in the same boat. 24, not really sure what I really want to do either, but I found a place I'm happy with for the time being at any rate... and the money's pretty good.

I'm sure you guys would find something. Maybe not like here where I get paid to be bored essentially, but still :).

The DIMD on
  • Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Could always live in Seattle and go up to Alaska for the crab season like on Deadliest Catch. Make decent money with hard working dudes and maybe even get buried at sea with no funeral costs.

Still have no idea how some of those dudes can handle that shit, it is crazy.

MaoChan on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    @Maochan

Seriously... and they live off of four hours of sleep for however long they're out there too... I couldn't imagine even trying to function at my regular job like that, nevermind the grueling conditions they have to work under... I can't imagine many first world jobs that are worse than that one.

@dovirstrgn

You're right that you pretty much have to stay out of downtown to avoid the terrible rent, but in regards to people with SAD, you can get lights that replicate the effects of sun on serotonin production for a couple hundred bucks. I got one and it works wonders in my mind, or the placebo effect is very strong in this one.

Two hundred bucks beats relocating in my books but, hey, different strokes. I like this city though. Makes going to PAX pretty convenient too ^^.

The DIMD on
  • Options
    eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, seeing as the UW just announced it's 12% budget cut, which means lots and lots of faculty and staff who live in Seattle are about to bite the big one, I'd say our job market is about to be non-existent with everyone in the area looking for new jobs.

Cost of living is pretty high, but not unlivable. Rent in a nice neighborhood is good if you have a roommate, not so good if you're alone.

All things considered though, Seattle is the greatest city on the planet, so it's all worth it!

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Except if you're in their science division, where they're more than likely going to be getting around 20 million+ in grants thanks to Mr. Obama. I think that money would be better used keeping people employed, but perhaps my view is too focused on the present.

The DIMD on
  • Options
    eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sort of. Yes, we are getting a lot of money via the stimulus, but we're still all effed. That 12% is adjusted after stimulus money and tuition increases.

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rent varies depending on what you're looking for. $490 for an efficiency apartment in I-district, $600 for single room or studio in sketchier neighborhoods, upwards of $1200 for a single-room right off of Microsoft campus, etc.

A lot of people are looking for tech jobs in Seattle right now. Might have more luck with HR. Be sure to check outlying areas - Everett, Marysville Woodinville, Bainbridge/Bremerton, or south toward Tacoma.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Sort of. Yes, we are getting a lot of money via the stimulus, but we're still all effed. That 12% is adjusted after stimulus money and tuition increases.

Not everyone's screwed lol. But, you're right. I didn't think about the adjustment that's going to take place with tuition increases and the such...

But, if people weren't so scared, I don't think we would be even close to as screwed as we are. Even if 10% of the population is unemployed, that leaves 90% who are... and a lot of people seem to forget that. Sure, the economy would still suck, but if that 90%'s spending was unaffected by emotion, the economy could recover itself at a faster pace.

I think that our system is fundamentally broken in the sense that it doesn't take into account the human condition when things go bad... much in the same way that Communism doesn't take into account the human condition at all.

Just my opinion though :)

The DIMD on
  • Options
    dovirstrgndovirstrgn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey, don't knock the science funding. Putting money into research will create jobs just as well as putting it anywhere us. Some of us lab monkeys depend on research funding to live - and I have to say that a public-sector job in research ain't a bad gig. The pay is so low that my techie friends don't consider it a living wage, but they're spoiled. The benefits are nice and it's pretty secure.

Anyway, my hunch is that there will still be jobs open in research, especially around the University. Sure, we're going to get a lot of cuts, but turnover is always high as students and postdocs come and go.

dovirstrgn on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Speaking as a 3rd generation native who has held down about a dozen jobs (more than half of which were contracts), I can say that the two of you would be in better shape than most. HR is always needed somewhere, and (good) DB admins are always in rather significant demand because that role is less interesting than net admin-ing or support analyst-ing. Every time I'm on the market (I'm in support) there are always fistfulls of jobs for people who have a lot of SQL experience.

Be prepared to pound pavement for several weeks, even a couple months in this climate.

Cost of living compared to the bulk of the nation is high, but coming from Sacramento you probably won't see too big of a difference.

On the subject of 'darkness' and SAD, people who complain about weather are pussies. Which brings me to my dilemma, as PAX forumer, I'm bound to try to help you, but as a 3rd gen native, I have a duty to oppose the immigration of all Californians... not sure I know how to reconcile that...

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just come to Vancouver! (The BC one)
    Sorry, gotta plug my home town. It's close to Seattle, too. Though then that would mean Visa's, etc. It is a gorgeous city though.

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    On the subject of 'darkness' and SAD, people who complain about weather are pussies. Which brings me to my dilemma, as PAX forumer, I'm bound to try to help you, but as a 3rd gen native, I have a duty to oppose the immigration of all Californians... not sure I know how to reconcile that...

Well, as a 3rd generation native, you grew up here... so the weather wouldn't bother you. I agree that it's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be though. I just enjoy anything that helps me focus :).

The DIMD on
  • Options
    neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    chibidani wrote: »
    Just come to Vancouver! (The BC one)
    Sorry, gotta plug my home town. It's close to Seattle, too. Though then that would mean Visa's, etc. It is a gorgeous city though.

That's where I plan on moving eventually.

UBC, yo!

And if my father moves back home to Canada...
    I don't have to worry about visas!

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Well, both of us love the winter. This California sun BS is too much. Wind and rain year round? Sounds good.

But yeah, Californians as a whole are pretty abrasive - I'm surprised they let us into Nevada at all.

Godmeat on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, especially the way you guys drive through the mountains between the two in I-15. I mean god damn god damn god damn.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ProjektSoulProjektSoul Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was a native of California for over half my life...and I can definitely tell you the situation (both weather, air pollution, rent and jobs) is better up here. :P I think the only good thing about Cali for me was the surfing. But then again I lived down in San Bernardino lol

HR and PR seem to be doing fairly well up here, and so does DB. One of my friends who does DB just got laid off from Microsoft and within about a week was hired at another tech company.

ProjektSoul on

TheProjektSoul.jpg
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was a native of California for over half my life...and I can definitely tell you the situation (both weather, air pollution, rent and jobs) is better up here. :P I think the only good thing about Cali for me was the surfing. But then again I lived down in San Bernardino lol

HR and PR seem to be doing fairly well up here, and so does DB. One of my friends who does DB just got laid off from Microsoft and within about a week was hired at another tech company.

lol, San Bernar-ghetto. I live in Cali too, but in the mountains near San B. so its not like the stereotype that you hear about cali... we get rain and snow and everything too, just only in the winter :P I hate how hot it gets off the mountain tho...

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    ProjektSoulProjektSoul Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Haha yeah it is a ghetto...pleh. Glad to be living up here in Seattle now though. :)

ProjektSoul on

TheProjektSoul.jpg
  • Options
    nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well Microsoft is laying off about 3,000 people today in their second round of layoffs this year... never a good sign to have 3,000 more tech people flooding the job market.

I was laid off from my software test job in December, but quickly landed a year long contract within 2 weeks (that actually pays better & still has benefits)... so there is work out here if you know where to look.

I do have a buddy who did a lot of administration type work who's been out of work for about two months now looking though... so it's rough.

nearlysober on
This discussion has been closed.