As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I have a new back/side problem, it seems.

EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
In the last few years, I've had recurring back problems. For a few days, I would have trouble standing up straight when it hits, making walking hurt and forcing me to slouch when I moved. However, in the last few weeks, I've noticed something else entirely. I thought it was the same back problem, but it seems to be on my side and hurts often whenever I have to stretch my left side, whether by turning right, simply stretching, or some rolling when lying down or going from a standing to sitting position and visa versa. From what I can tell, the pain is centered around my lowest observable rib on my left side, which makes me very nervous. Is this a pulled muscle thing, or is there something wrong with my ribs or something? What should I do about it? I know, I know, see a doctor. I will, but I probably can't until Saturday or next Tuesday. Inconveniently, the first time I had a job in three months started this week. Hell, yesterday, on the way to my first workday since January, my "check engine" light went on! It's like the universe wants me to leech on unemployment.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
EmperorSeth on

• Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    That title is one removed slash away from some funny potty humor.

Also, honestly, and not to freak you out, but it sounds exactly like mild to moderate scoliosis. Have you ever had a back x-ray before? Do you every have problems breathing - feeling like you can't catch your breath? Might want to hit the doc, and if it is scoliosis, it's pretty easy to detect. Treatment can range from PT to surgery. Good luck! Hope it's just a pulled muscle.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    underdonk wrote: »
    That title is one removed slash away from some funny potty humor.

Also, honestly, and not to freak you out, but it sounds exactly like mild to moderate scoliosis. Have you ever had a back x-ray before? Do you every have problems breathing - feeling like you can't catch your breath? Might want to hit the doc, and if it is scoliosis, it's pretty easy to detect. Treatment can range from PT to surgery. Good luck! Hope it's just a pulled muscle.

I thought that was a problem only in the earlier years. I'm 29, for the record. At any rate, I doubt it's that, as I don't have any breathing problems, and honestly today I'm at least 30% better. At the very minimum, there's been a significant reduction in the "sudden pain I can't even stand without leaning on something" moments. I haven't been worse than a dull ache in a while. In retrospect, I wonder if some of my other back exercises didn't do more harm than good. Should I consider talking to a physical trainer, and if so, how much would that cost? I do have a gym membership, so I should ask there when I feel well enough to actually go to the gym.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kidney issues can cause substantial back pain. So can an aneurysm. Not saying that's what you have, but it might be something worth checking into, especially if it's stones.

There are also a range of arthritis conditions that start in the 20's and if left undiagnosed can cause substantial permanent disability. It may be your muscles compensating for a fusion or something. Any hip pain when the weather changes?

edit: Do not go to a chiropractor, they do not diagnose, they make shit up and move some shit (which can cause stroke among other things). Go to someone who will take an x-ray if you need one.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If it's re-occuring for a number of years, have you seen a doctor about this? From experience with my back problems, it may be damaged nerves and/or muscles. Have you noticed any shooting pains down your legs, spine, arms etc.? If you do, my best advice would be (from what my doctor gave me) to hit the gym, do light weights, excercise. It helps relieve the pain in your muscles and back, and strengthens it up. Also, look at your work place (computer desk). What kind of chair do you sit on? Do you sit in an awkward position? Is your bed matress of good quality? There are a number of reasons you may be expieriencing pain. I think you should consider these things, and talk to your GP about it. Good luck.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    ktty124ktty124 Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    See a doctor, but you said it is a recurrent problem so you need to find a way to effectively diagnose and treat or manage the pain. You can exercise, do energy therapy or something ease to ease the pain.

ktty124 on
  • Options
    KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Kidney issues can cause substantial back pain. So can an aneurysm. Not saying that's what you have, but it might be something worth checking into, especially if it's stones.

While I haven't had kidney stones myself, I have anecdotal evidence from both of my parents and my two uncles that kidney stones would have you howling in pain by now, like literally crying from it. Not fun, and that doesn't sound like what you have. Sounds a lot more like a pulled muscle to me, I did the same thing a couple weeks back where I bent over with something heavy one too many times and basically threw my back out.

Talk to your doctor, don't do any more back exercises until you've talked to a professional trainer (your gym probably will give you at least one free session with one if they are any good) and rest up.

Killgrimage on
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Depending on how recurrent and the specifics of the pain it may be a gallbladder problem. I originally thought it was from leaning forward to much to see my computer screen (this is what happens with glasses), but the pain usually wouldn't subside for many hours. Occasionally there was back pain, but it was primarily right around the bottom of the ribcage. Then one day it hurt quite a bit more than usual, and then I started vomiting and then only vomiting bile/stomache acid...that's when the hospital visit came and the surgery.

I would, however, be hesitant to link this with your experience, because yours seems to have been going on much longer, and seems to center more on the back of your torso than the front. Still something you'll want to talk about with a doctor.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm not a doctor, but take 2 ibuprofen every 4 hours for a day, maybe 2. See if that helps the pain. If so, it's likely muscular. I've had a couple "odd pain" moments that I went to go see a doc about, and in both instances she told me "well it could be something more serious, but it's probably muscular, so let's do ibuprofen and some physical therapy." Both times it was fixed, in large part because the ibuprofen addresses the muscle inflamation.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast