As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How is that even food?

• Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you're a sucker sure. Trust Godfather, seems to know his stuff

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    turns out you can

We've already established you don't like fun.

BloodySloth on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    turns out you can

You are the Cain to my Abel.

Godfather on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    as long as cain's the thin one

Senjutsu on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Oh man

i2dw5nf19ms0abxklO5LfyZoo1_500.jpg

Oh man

At first I thought that that looked like a cute little hors d'œuvre. Then I realized that those were dinner plates. D:

On the Munch Box, there's a New England semi-staple that's sort of like that: The Steak Bomb. Think of a menu listing various types of cheesesteak (plain, mushroom, onion, some selection of cheeses, etc.). Now imagine someone asking you which kind you want and simply answering "yes." To quote wikipedia:
    A typical sandwich consists of slices of steak with salami and melted provolone cheese under grilled onions, sautéed red and green bell peppers, mushrooms, and peppered shaved steak all on a grilled Hoagie roll although there are other variations that include pepperoni, sliced ham, capicola, or even bacon. It is considered an offshoot of a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich.

Many restaurants now serve the sandwich without any of the sandwich meats, even though historically the recipe had once called for a minimum of at least salami.

It also talks about the Fat Boy Special:
    Another variation of the Steak Bomb is called the Fat Boy Special. It includes everything from a regular steak bomb and also includes tomato slices, sweet pickles, and hot Italian peppers or jalapeños. It is found on Coastal New England areas. It may have gotten its start from the annual Laconia Motorcycle Week rally held in Laconia and Weirs Beach, New Hampshire, as there is a popular type of Harley-Davidson motorcycle called the "Fat Boy".

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • MeowsvilleMeowsville Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MrMister wrote: »
    French fry sandwich? Want some more starch with your starch? What the fuck is wrong with you?

I can't say I feel that strongly about it, but I was thinking the same thing. A french fry sandwich is not in any way like a balanced meal. It just seems off.

Meowsville on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    Plenty of that thisiswhyyourefat.com stuff looks like a damned tasty way to kill myself. But one thing I never really got is the savory + sweet thing, such as the....

i2dw5nf19k30brw7gTu9BQlvo1_500.jpg

Bacon Cinnamon Roll

edit: looking through more I think that as the site has gained in popularity and the majority of the submissions are less of fringe / carnival foods and more "look at this shit I combined! LOL!"

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Meowsville wrote: »
    French fry sandwich? Want some more starch with your starch? What the fuck is wrong with you?

I can't say I feel that strongly about it, but I was thinking the same thing. A french fry sandwich is not in any way like a balanced meal. It just seems off.

The weirdest part is that he also thinks that putting fries in a burger is a good idea. That combined with the fact that at least some people add butter has led me to believe that British people like their fries soggy.

And, while looking through Thisiswhyyourfat, I find this:
    i2dw5nf19jrr9x2wlahtQ4jLo1_500.jpg
    Fried Chicken Skin

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Given that we fry pork skin, chicken skin doesnt sound that weird.

Dr Mario Kart on
    edited April 2009
    I swear, over half of the stuff in that website is deep-fried.

Also somebody post the SNL Taco town skit.

Godfather on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There was a website where people tried to recreate the Taco Town taco, but damned if I lost the URL.

Edit: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=95037&blogID=110345567&MyToken=0aa5e6ce-94fd-4bec-a80d-eaadec7fab87

My bookmarks might have been a good place to check.

Cervetus on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    The weirdest part is that he also thinks that putting fries in a burger is a good idea. That combined with the fact that at least some people add butter has led me to believe that British people like their fries soggy.

That's actually why I'm one of the few people who doesn't like In-N-Out fries, especially when they're animal style. Soggy mess.

MrMister on
    edited April 2009
    A-Animal style?

Godfather on
    edited April 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

That's actually why I'm one of the few people who doesn't like In-N-Out fries, especially when they're animal style. Soggy mess.

A lot of people don't like IN-n-Out fries I've found. Why is this? Because in and out takes a potato, cuts in into strips and fries it.

Not counting home-style, most people are used to fries that are frozen bits of mashed up potato mixed with preservatives, chemical flavoring and in some cases concentrated meat flavorings as well. Sorry, you aren't eating fries.

To Godfather: Based on your posts in this thread and assuming you're on the West Coast you'll get it... Go to In-N-Out and ask for animal style fries, you will not be disappointed. You will die of a heart attack that very night, but you'll have a smile on you're face because they're delicious.

7c8a4ae0da7d4bf3_m.jpg

Real potato fries, with grilled onions, spread (More or less 1000 island) and cheese melted on top. A once a year meal for me and what a day that is

(they'll know to give you a fork with it. You'll need it)

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    I'm a Texas boy (hence my vouching for biscuits and gravy), so we don't have In-N-Out burger chains down here.

The closest thing i've eaten that resembles that is poutine in Canada, in the sense that they're both fries covered with stuff, even though the toppings are worlds apart.

Godfather on
    edited April 2009
    I'm a Texas boy (hence my vouching for biscuits and gravy), so we don't have In-N-Out burger chains down here.

The closest thing i've eaten that resembles that is poutine in Canada, in the sense that they're both fries covered with stuff, even though the toppings are worlds apart.

Biscuits in gravy is loved all over by even minded individuals, one of the best things the south has given us. Unfortunately for you, you have to get in a car and drive to Tucson Arizona right now (closest joint they have to Texas). In n Out is incomparable to whatever crap they dump on fries in the great white north

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    I'm actually in Toronto, Ontario right now, a good 1300 miles away from the state.

The south's cuisine absolutely trounces the food up here. Some of the stuff they pass as fast food is just atrocious.

Godfather on
    edited April 2009
    This isn't food, but it is possible to make a taco rocket. All you have to do is form the tortilla in the shape of the fuselage and fry it in that shape. The you loud the innards, set up, and let 'er rip. I know of this because it was the answer I got when I asked an experienced model rocketeer what the craziest rocket he'd ever seen fly was. Apperantly, it was even a pretty impressive rocket, having at least a D motor.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I like grits, even if it is just smashed and dried corn, cheese being my favorite kind. Oatmeal is good too.

SkutSkut on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm actually in Toronto, Ontario right now, a good 1300 miles away from the state.

The south's cuisine absolutely trounces the food up here. Some of the stuff they pass as fast food is just atrocious.

Toronto is home to some beastly food. I will fight you. Or feed you.

You need to head for Koreatown for some gamjatang, bulgogi, and Korean BBQ, or downtown Chinatown for some pho, or Greektown, or Queen West for some butter chicken. The variety of tasty dishes available in this city always makes me happy.

Also, and this is somewhat off-topic, I made porkchop sandwiches a while back. I have no idea whether they're a real menu item or not, but ever since I saw the GI Joe meme way back when I knew I had to try it. They were super delicious, so it works out.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited April 2009
    Maybe I should have been more specific. The south beats Toronto in terms of fast food, hands down (and steak). The higher quality stuff is a matter of taste.

I had the pleasure of experiencing Korean barbecue a few weeks ago. That's where you throw the meat on the little grill and you cook it yourself, yes? Absolutely fantastic. They also give you your money's worth in terms of meat quantity.

I grabbed some greek food at The Healthy Greek on Queen Street West, and while it was fucking delicious it gave me one of the worst headaches i've ever had an hour later. Was really bizarre.

Godfather on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don't eat much fast food, so I can't help you there. I do eat a lot of cheap food that happens to be served quickly (gamjatang, pho, etc).

Whatever floats your boat, though.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I had the pleasure of experiencing Korean barbecue a few weeks ago. That's where you throw the meat on the little grill and you cook it yourself, yes? Absolutely fantastic. They also give you your money's worth in terms of meat quantity.

You need to go get yourself really drunk, wake up the next morning with a killer hangover, stumble into a Korean restaurant, and order the Gamjatang. Nothing beats spine soup as a hangover cure, and it's freaking delicious. It looks daunting though.

oldmanken on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I heard there's something about enriched rice that makes it less food-y than regular rice. True?

emnmnme on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    5 Guys also makes real-potato fries - I think they cut new fries throughout the day using the sacks of potatoes they usually have sitting around the restaurant. Best fries ever.

KalTorak on
    edited April 2009

The south comes up with some weird shit, but it is almost always uncannily delicious. Whoever invented sausage gravy needs a hug.

Of course, it will kill you. Southern food doesn't even pretend to be healthy. You know how McDonald's puts that token amount of lettuce in burgers to kind of disarm people into thinking they're eating vegetables? Yeah, the south doesn't do that.

BloodySloth on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The problem with southern food is that every single solitary thing is either a) fried b) pork or more likely c) some combination thereof.

Other than fried chicken they just really don't know how to cook anything else

Duffel on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Duffel wrote: »

Half the time they take that perfectly good fried chicken, slap it on a waffle, and drench the whole thing in freaking maple syrup.

Man what the fuck.

KalTorak on
    edited April 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

Half the time they take that perfectly good fried chicken, slap it on a waffle, and drench the whole thing in freaking maple syrup.

Man what the fuck.

I get the distinct feeling you don't know anyone from the south who cooks.

BloodySloth on
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am so very confused. Why is buttering a cheese sandwich depraved? Without it it's just so dry... Butter makes everything better. Cheese, jam and butter sandwich? Best sandwich ever.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Man what the fuck.

I get the distinct feeling you don't know anyone from the south who cooks.

"Hey, y'all, let's put cole slaw on our pulled pork sandwiches and then we'll deep fry a house cat!"

There's a reason American cuisine isn't gourmet. Apple pies and Yankee pot roast can't cover up the other horrors we've concocted over the years.

emnmnme on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    There's a reason American cuisine isn't gourmet.

Yeah, I wouldn't go that far.

oldmanken on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Domhnall wrote: »
    Cheese, jam and butter sandwich?

Cheese like cheese, jam like fruit spread, butter like butter? All of these ingredients are in one sandwich?

desc on
    edited April 2009
    desc wrote: »

Cheese like cheese, jam like fruit spread, butter like butter? All of these ingredients are in one sandwich?

My mother loves 'em, but I've never tried. It's a bit scary, to be honest. If someone handed a jam & cheese sandwich and said "here, eat this," I'd probably give it a go, but I would feel weird assembling one on my own.

BloodySloth on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Anyone who's familiar with Rutgers in New Jersey knows about the "Grease Trucks". They are sandwich trucks that serve "Fat Sandwiches", which are basically subs stuffed with crap that should not be stuffed into a sandwich: french fries, mozzarella sticks, burger patties, etc. :

53528849_c3998e8e61_o.jpg
    FatCat.jpg

Perfect when you're piss-drunk or super baked, but instant death any other time.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    desc wrote: »

Yes. For the same reason cheeseboards tend to come with grapes and a couple of sweet preserves. I'm also in the camp that doesn't see why buttering a sandwich would be considered weird.

japan on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I had the pleasure of experiencing Korean barbecue a few weeks ago. That's where you throw the meat on the little grill and you cook it yourself, yes?

That's what we tend to call it in NA. The Japanese equivalent is yakiniku, and there's a related type of food called okonomiyaki that can either be cooked for you or you can do it yourself. It's like a savory pancake with whatever ingredients you want.
    5 Guys also makes real-potato fries - I think they cut new fries throughout the day using the sacks of potatoes they usually have sitting around the restaurant. Best fries ever.

Cutting fresh fries is pretty easy, especially if you leave the skin on. You can buy a machine where you just stick a potato in it, slam the handle down, and out comes raw fries.
    The problem with southern food is that every single solitary thing is either a) fried b) pork or more likely c) some combination thereof.

Clearly you've never had southern barbecue. Or anything else, really. About the only thing commonly fried where I live is chicken. Smoking and grilling is the way cook meat down here, and I'll cut anyone who disagrees.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Heartlash wrote: »
    http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/

Pretty much everything posted on that site is just... beyond me.

I dunno, chicken & waffles seems pretty easy to understand. And loco moco is awesome.

The only thing easy to understand about chicken & waffles is that it is the product of a diseased mind

"I make-a you dinnah...chicken and roffles."
    "This stock market one crazy n***a"

Ethan Smith on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The dorm cafeteria I eat at has something called the "Phatty Melt". Effectively, as far as I can remember, it's a burger+philly cheese steak, using two grilled cheese sandwiches as buns, with whatever grilled/sauteed veggies (mushrooms, peppers, etc.) you want.

They now have t-shirts advertising it...

That sounds delicious, though unwieldy.

Also, people from England: your food is disgusting, and soon even you will realize that and finally switch over to an entirely curry-based national cuisine. French fry sandwich? Want some more starch with your starch? What the fuck is wrong with you?

People not of English decent. You have no understanding of what English food is, having learned about it solely through movies and TV making fun of the British. As such I shall pretend Americans eat only McDonalds, since that is what shows making fun of Americans tell me they eat, and shall ignore all the other tasty items on the real American menu.

I mean, how can you eat that McDonalds 3 meals a day MrMister? I mean, McGriddle in the morning, Big Mac for lunch and 20 chicken nuggets for dinner? With fries at every meal? You Americans are crazy. When will you switch to a solely Mexican food based cuisine!

Seriously though, English food is good. The stereotype of bad english food came about in the 40s-60s when everyone was too damn poor in the UK to make any of our old dishes. Yes they often have silly names, like spotted dick, or Toad in the Hole, but they are still most tasty. They are often very easy to make badly, so many people eat a bad version of English food and say it isn't good. But thats like saying Mexican food is awful because you ate at Taco Bell once. English food tends to take ages to cook, and rely heavily on quality ingredients rather than heavy spicing.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    That's what we tend to call it in NA. The Japanese equivalent is yakiniku, and there's a related type of food called okonomiyaki that can either be cooked for you or you can do it yourself. It's like a savory pancake with whatever ingredients you want.

Cutting fresh fries is pretty easy, especially if you leave the skin on. You can buy a machine where you just stick a potato in it, slam the handle down, and out comes raw fries.

Clearly you've never had southern barbecue. Or anything else, really. About the only thing commonly fried where I live is chicken. Smoking and grilling is the way cook meat down here, and I'll cut anyone who disagrees.
    Yeah, but I'd imagine you're getting into some pretty deep south stuff there. Border south (north georgia, alabama, tennessee) is pretty much all fried. I'm admittedly unfamiliar with lousiana/arkansas/east texas type foods.

One specific incident that stuck out in my mind was being overseas for about a month and flying back into Atlanta. When we got back into the terminal it was about 6 am and most of of the chain restuarants (McDonalds etc) were closed. The only thing open was a self-declared "local/southern" style restuarant who was serving lovely dishes like a "Sausage egg and bacon biscuit". They literally had like three different kinds of pork (all of it in delicious-looking vats swimming with grease so thick it clogged your arteries just glancing at it). We'd been in Israel, too, so talk about your culture shock...

There is a really good barbecue a couple of towns away from me, but I don't know how "Southern" it is. You can go there and order a "chicken sandwich" and they literally give you half a chicken slathered in delicious barbecue marinade. Oh, and a piece of bread, too, I guess that's the sandwich part. The bread always soaks up the marinade and spices and is extra good just on its own.

EDIT: I don't know about English cooking but I found Irish cooking to be a mixed bag. Some of it was pretty tasty (stuffing sandwiches and RHUBARB PIE OH YESS YEESSSS) and some of it was kind of gross (not even trying that blood pudding, thank you very much). I wasn't really there long enough to form a real opinion though.

Duffel on