As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me an old muscle car/car with balls

2»

• Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You guys have given some fantastic suggestions so far. Definitely keep it coming.

Just to add a little more specific in what I am looking for:

-$3000
    -Driveable in some fashion
    -Definitely looking for something with some roar, doesn't necessarily have to be a race car or anything, but something that definitely shows as "classic" big motor, etc
    -The "look", you know, if you see an old charger coming down the road, you know its a charger(chargers seem to be way out of my range). Looking for that type of car with the look.
    I actually was just looking at a 78 Trans Am firebird in an auction, but I believe its already going for over what I am looking for.

I understand whatever this car is, is going to be a fixer upper. My father in law is a good farm mechanic and knows quite a bit about fixing cars, so with his knowledge, I should be able to replace a good portion on my own.

precisionk on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well you're not going to get a Delorean for 3k.

Shogun on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    you're not going to find much that's classic, driveable, and attractive for $3K... you really need to reassess your priorities with such a low budget... anything from the 60s or 70s at that price will be rust held together by paint, or just a rolling shell, and will basically require another $10K in work just to get it road-worthy

i would go for something that was produced in huge numbers AND in low-power/cheap trim levels, which makes the lower end models reasonably priced.... something like a 60s mustang with the i6... and definitely up your budget to the $5-10K mark (that includes buying and repair)

illig on
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have a feeling that finding anything in the style you're looking for that's also in the price range you're looking for will either not run or will be so full of holes it should be used for scrap. Quite possibly both.

I'd say find one of these
    rx84WillieBtx.jpg
    and put one of these in.
    2003%20LS1%20%205.7%20L%20V8.jpg

wmelon on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    precisionk wrote: »
    You guys have given some fantastic suggestions so far. Definitely keep it coming.

Just to add a little more specific in what I am looking for:

-$3000
    -Driveable in some fashion
    -Definitely looking for something with some roar, doesn't necessarily have to be a race car or anything, but something that definitely shows as "classic" big motor, etc
    -The "look", you know, if you see an old charger coming down the road, you know its a charger(chargers seem to be way out of my range). Looking for that type of car with the look.
    I actually was just looking at a 78 Trans Am firebird in an auction, but I believe its already going for over what I am looking for.

I understand whatever this car is, is going to be a fixer upper. My father in law is a good farm mechanic and knows quite a bit about fixing cars, so with his knowledge, I should be able to replace a good portion on my own.

Again, a Firebird/Trans Am is your best bet. They sold huge in 77-78 due to the awesome movie entitled "Smokey and the Bandit." Trans Am tend to have a higher price. You can still get a big 400 in a Formula, or a slightly smaller 350 in an Espirt.

As far as my Espirt goes the engine runs amazing. 110k miles original miles on it. The body is the worst thing about it. Drop a grand on a paint job and it'll look fantastic. Shit, it would be still under $3k after that.

Anyways, its your best bet for what you're looking for.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Unless I'm missing something about the delorean, 140hp is by no means powerful.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I bet 20% of the DMC-12's ton-and-a-half curb weight is in the doors. Rip those off and you've got yourself a baby Lotus Elise!

zilo on
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd suggest checking out the local non-offical car show/hang out. You'll see a lot of options and a lot of end results. Then the only option is trying to decide which Pontiac to buy.

GTOs are likely to be expensive, but if you can find something unloved you could hit your price point. Tempest is a good option, as is a screaming chicken or Knight Industries generation of the Firebird.

I applaud your desire to get something you can learn on. If I had the time and garage bay, I'd have a 67 GTO convertable with a questionably installed supercharger.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    eternalbl wrote: »

and the average selling price of $40k+ isn't exactly cheap.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    EskimoDave wrote: »
    eternalbl wrote: »

and the average selling price of $40k+ isn't exactly cheap.

LOL. I've only ever seen one of those cars. And that was at the Adelaide Birdwood Motor Museum. 40k (for a decent one) is loads. You'd only buy one if you where rich. Otherwise, it would be an aweful choice of wheels :)

I got nothing more to add. I think there are some good suggestions here. God i love American Muscle cars.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    A gentleman police officer in my town owns a DeLorean though I do not know if his is an original or a kit car. Cops don't make much so they can't be too hard to afford.

Don't get a muscle car. Get a Honda NSX. Can find them in the $10-15,000 range. Maybe cheaper if you're willing to sacrifice condition a bit. Or maybe a Mazda RX7. 3rd gen is a beautiful machine. Similar prices and worth putting money into. Rare cars are worth preserving. American muscle cars are not worth preserving/do not need any more than already exists. Automobiles are divestments so use your money accordingly.

Shogun on
  • Options
    desdinovadesdinova Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm pleased, and a bit teary-eyed that AMCs have been mentioned twice. :) I grew up wrenching on those beasts and, while they're not the value they once were, they're still a cheap, very unique classic car choice.
    You're going to be hard pressed to find a "Golden Years" AMX or Javelin for 3k unless it needs work. If I were going to start up a project car, I'd look for a plain jane Hornet with a solid frame and build it to (or past) Hornet SC/360 specs. It'd be a little small to call a muscle car, but the SC/360 was an amazing pony (donkey, moar leik) car.

The AMC motors were cast iron blocks, very tough, and since they were an indie manufacturer, they didn't change often. I think the AMX, especially in a "big bad" colour is one of the best looking muscle cars of the era.

desdinova on
    wat
  • Options
    SideAffectsSideAffects Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Shogun wrote: »
    A gentleman police officer in my town owns a DeLorean though I do not know if his is an original or a kit car. Cops don't make much so they can't be too hard to afford.

Don't get a muscle car. Get a Honda NSX. Can find them in the $10-15,000 range. Maybe cheaper if you're willing to sacrifice condition a bit. Or maybe a Mazda RX7. 3rd gen is a beautiful machine. Similar prices and worth putting money into. Rare cars are worth preserving. American muscle cars are not worth preserving/do not need any more than already exists. Automobiles are divestments so use your money accordingly.

NSX seconded. I get more thrilled to see someone driving an Acura NSX around than seeing a 911 Turbo.

SideAffects on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    1969 Ford GTO Judge!!
    (Just watched sex drive haha)

rfalias on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

He wants something he can work on in his garage with a wrench, not a computer and diagnostic codes.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Lies.

I have a '68 Chevelle Malibu that my stepdad restored. Dark red with twin black stripes down the middle. I'm not a huge car guy, but it is the sexiest thing I've ever seen with four wheels. When I get my house and a garage, I'm going to restore it even further as a learning experience, much like the OP.

Definately look into cars that aren't "driveable." Yeah, it'll require more work, but that's the fun, right? And the payoff is that much better. My stepdad bought the Chevelle rusting on an old neighbor's lot for 2k, which is a steal if my quick google search is correct in showing junkers going for 5k or more.

In high school I took it to the High School Drags and showed it off. It didn't win any races, but it was fun as hell and competed pretty well in the Show categories.

So I guess I'm throwing my vote in for a 60's Chevelle Malibu.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    rfalias wrote: »
    1969 Ford GTO Judge!!
    (Just watched sex drive haha)

Pontiac, not Ford.

and Seth Green's character had the engine info wrong. It would only have a 400, not a 455. 455 didn't come out until 1970.

As far as the NSX goes, you seem to have missed the $3000 price point.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    SideAffectsSideAffects Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I guess I've popped in and out of here and recommended just about every type of car, but I guess what it comes down to is to find a body style that thrills you, then paint and install whatever engine you need to make it roar. I like the sound of vehicles singing up in the 7000+ RPM range, even if they are only 4 cylinders (my integra). There's a lot to be said for a V8+ engine just idling though (a friend's z28 Camaro comes to mind...it sounds like sex under the hood). And then you have the sound of aircooled Porsche goodness, where the cars swoosh past you like a flyby from a jet. On top of that, you could turbo/supercharge/noz a car and get different sounds too.

I know that this comment belongs in the car thread more than this one, but I'm the kind of person that is indecisive of cars until I sit in them and drive them. A car needs more than power/handling/comfort...it needs spirit. I've driven a fair number of cars and I've found that many of my friends' fast cars, even if way faster than anything I'll ever be able to build/afford, give me no thrill when I'm behind the wheel. I imagine that you get a deeper connection to a car that you build from the ground up, but I'd be afraid of assembling something before experiencing the finished product and being disappointed by it in the end :( People who have actually done this with cars could give you a better idea of what to expect...I'm just talking out of my ass.

SideAffects on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I appreciate all the awesome suggestions so far.

Little update:

I have some feelers out right now on a 1979 firebird formula as well as a 1975 Gran Torino within the price range.

I plan to to send out a few more emails and get some more infos on others, but those two are what I am looking at so far.

precisionk on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned my dream car yet. Datsun 240Z. They are so sexy and masculine!
    l_2a7d7b0e821848457dba38442ea5910b.jpg

7438-1973-Datsun-240z.jpg

Mvc04615.jpg

*drools*

Kris on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Kris wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned my dream car yet. Datsun 240Z. They are so sexy and masculine!

Mvc04615.jpg

*drools*

I can only imagine it is hard to find specific parts for it, or perhaps I am assuming incorrectly.

precisionk on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    precisionk wrote: »
    Kris wrote: »

Mvc04615.jpg

*drools*

I can only imagine it is hard to find specific parts for it, or perhaps I am assuming incorrectly.
    Interesting story: it was named the Fairlady Z because Datsun (Nissan) at the time was desperate to become popular in the US, and "My Fair Lady" was both a popular music and movie. They figured that using the same name would make them just as popular.

American dealers crapped their pants when Datsun started shipping them sports cars called "Fairlady".

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    saint2e wrote: »
    1970 Plymouth Challenger
    Lime Green with a black strip

3357131806_255b455461.jpg

I'd say the '69 Charger is better, in black.

63673dodge20charger2019.jpg

necroSYS on
  • Options
    Diomedes240zDiomedes240z Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have a few things to add here:

First of all, Datsun 240z's are fucking awesome. I have one and love it. Parts are very easy to get, since everything was interchangeable until the first 300zx came along. Having said that, the OP did say muscle cars, which doesn't really describe any Datsun... Definitely not an NSX, RX7 or a Delorean.

The OP is looking for a car to drive and work on to learn, meaning he won't be doing any difficult engine swaps. He is looking for something cheap.

With your budget and goals, I don't think you should be tracking down any particular car, but should be looking in classifieds, paddocks, auctions, forums, car clubs, etc for *anything* that fits the bill. My concept of car pricing may not be spot on, being from Australia, where any good pre-80s car in driveable condition will cost about $10,000, but I think you'll need more money to buy something decent unless you're willing to look hard.

Diomedes240z on
    fdod80.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My friend got a decent Holden HQ for $5000 (australia) and spent another $1500 getting it running nicely

A car like this is something you get when you have a stable income and free time, and can afford to break down.

As in probably not a student

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    My friend got a decent Holden HQ for $5000 (australia) and spent another $1500 getting it running nicely

A car like this is something you get when you have a stable income and free time, and can afford to break down.

As in probably not a student

Its a good thing I am not a student. I can afford it to break down, as I have other cars.

precisionk on