As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How is that even food?

• Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fuck Carnie food.

Ethan Smith on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My father eats cheddar and peanut butter sandwiches... now that's disgusting.

oldmanken on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    not even trying that blood pudding, thank you very much

Then how do you know it's gross?

Honestly, this is like the haggis thing all over again. People are far too scared of offal. Devilled Kidneys, Haggis, Faggots, are all good examples of British cooking.

japan on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    there is no such thing as being "too scared" of offal

Senjutsu on
    edited April 2009
    Senjutsu wrote: »

This really doesn't make any sense. There's no reason why a person should be willing to eat one part of an animal and not others.

japan on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    japan wrote: »
    Then how do you know it's gross?

Honestly, this is like the haggis thing all over again. People are far too scared of offal. Devilled Kidneys, Haggis, Faggots, are all good examples of British cooking.
    a) It's usually pork which I do not eat and b) it's made of blood

Duffel on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

This really doesn't make any sense. There's no reason why a person should be willing to eat one part of an animal and not others.

I'll eat a bear's muscles but stay the fuck away from his liver.

KalTorak on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

You mean, other than taste, function, and aesthetics?

Because those seem like pretty good reasons to me

Senjutsu on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Offal tastes pretty good, to be honest.

oldmanken on
  • MeowsvilleMeowsville Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    oldmanken wrote: »
    My father eats cheddar and peanut butter sandwiches... now that's disgusting.

My mom used to make me peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches in my school lunches as a little kid. They were totally inedible. Actually, now that I think it was a plan to force me to do the job myself and was diabolical genius. ::fist-shakin' respect::

Meowsville on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Seriously though, English food is good. The stereotype of bad english food came about in the 40s-60s when everyone was too damn poor in the UK to make any of our old dishes. Yes they often have silly names, like spotted dick, or Toad in the Hole, but they are still most tasty. They are often very easy to make badly, so many people eat a bad version of English food and say it isn't good. But thats like saying Mexican food is awful because you ate at Taco Bell once. English food tends to take ages to cook, and rely heavily on quality ingredients rather than heavy spicing.

Yorkshire Pudding, man. It's the best thing.

And chip butties aren't soggy, because A: they're not absolutely loaded with butter like you seem to think, and B: you don't use pissy little McDonalds style chips to make them. Someone mentioned In-n-Out fries? Big chunks of potato, cut and fried? You use those.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
    edited April 2009

If you think offal tastes bad you clearly haven't eaten it. Heart in a meat pie is freaking delicious. So tender.

Aesthetics, meh. Food isn't made to be looked at.

I'm not sure what you mean by function. If you mean that the function of the organ puts you off, consider that sausage skins are made from intestinal membrane.

Regarding (a), fair enough, regarding (b), so what? Give it a try and then decide if you hate it or not. Do you also refuse to eat rare steak?

japan on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Heart tastes okay.

Lamb liver tastes too gamey for me.

Sweat breads are good though.

Sheep on
    edited April 2009

If you think offal tastes bad you clearly haven't eaten it. Heart in a meat pie is freaking delicious. So tender.

I'm not sure what you mean by function. If you mean that the function of the organ puts you off, consider that sausage skins are made from intestinal membrane.

Regarding (a), fair enough, regarding (b), so what? Give it a try and then decide if you hate it or not. Do you also refuse to eat rare steak?

While I usually get my steaks "medium rare" there is a world of difference between "a steak which still has some blood in it" and "cooked blood in an intestine with a bunch of random shit thrown in it":
    wiki wrote:
    Typical fillers include meat, fat, suet, bread, sweet potato, barley and oatmeal.

EDIT: Now that I think about it I actually did try a black pudding in Ireland but I couldn't do any more than nibble on it, and I didn't even really know what they were made of back then. So I think my prejudice is justified. If you like it more power to you, but it seems pretty gross to me.

Duffel on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, but I'd imagine you're getting into some pretty deep south stuff there. Border south (north georgia, alabama, tennessee) is pretty much all fried. I'm admittedly unfamiliar with lousiana/arkansas/east texas type foods.

I live in Florida, so what part you visit will largely determine the type of cuisine you can find. And with the number of people from the north (I'm originally from Maryland but my family moved here when I was like...3) that plays a big part to. There's a lot of things that I won't eat that are stereotypically southern; cole slaw for one and collard/mustard greens for another (they smell terrible), but I love the smoky flavor that you can't get from an oven or stovetop. On that note, I prefer a dry rub for things like ribs and skip the sauce since it just masks the flavor of the meat. Chicken, on the other hand, needs all the flavor it can get if you're not frying it so bring on the barbecue sauce!
    You can go there and order a "chicken sandwich" and they literally give you half a chicken slathered in delicious barbecue marinade. Oh, and a piece of bread, too, I guess that's the sandwich part. The bread always soaks up the marinade and spices and is extra good just on its own.

Most shops dedicated to barbecue will give you a lot of meat. That's the main draw to those establishments, after all. Split chicken breasts are readily available in most markets though I can't say I've noticed half a chicken (legs and wings included) for sale, but there's nothing stopping you from buying a whole one and butterflying it (easier to cut in half that way) yourself :)

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited April 2009
    While I usually get my steaks "medium rare" there is a world of difference between "a steak which still has some blood in it" and "cooked blood in an intestine with a bunch of random shit thrown in it":
    wiki wrote:
    Typical fillers include meat, fat, suet, bread, sweet potato, barley and oatmeal.

There really isn't. This is part of my point.

And the rest of it is fairly typical sausage fare, though sweet potato is somewhat unexpected. There's also white pudding, which is basically black pudding without the blood and with more suet instead.

japan on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

wiki wrote:

Also, the red liquid that runs out of raw and rare meat (meat that you see in the supermarket/butcher shop anyway) isn't blood.

KalTorak on
    edited April 2009
    There really isn't. This is part of my point.

And the rest of it is fairly typical sausage fare, though sweet potato is somewhat unexpected. There's also white pudding, which is basically black pudding without the blood and with more suet instead.
    You really can't see a different between "bloody meat" and just "coagulated blood"?

Isn't that basically just eating a big scab with some meat and fat thrown in?

Also, read my edit.

Duffel on
    edited April 2009
    I'm ranting a little, but it allways irritates me that people come over all "OMG how can you eat that!" about things they've never even ventured to try.

If I were to insist that anyone who ate shrimp (So many legs! Beady little eyes!) was crazy there would be plenty of people rushing to argue that one.

japan on
    edited April 2009
    I'm ranting a little, but it allways irritates me that people come over all "OMG how can you eat that!" about things they've never even ventured to try.

If I were to insist that anyone who ate shrimp (So many legs! Beady little eyes!) was crazy there would be plenty of people rushing to argue that one.

The legs and heads are removed. Some people (me included) wouldn't eat a shrimp's head. Kind of like how I don't like raw tomatoes but think they help make delicious sauces when pureed, except in the case of eating certain body parts it's mostly the squick factor. I'll eat some kinds of fish raw, but I won't eat any other kind of meat raw so you can count me out of eating steak tartare or carpaccio.

Barrakketh on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    We eat a good bit of boiled shrimp where I live. If you order it in most restaurants in my area, you'll be given a large platter with about a half pound of boiled shrimp, unpeeled with the heads on them. The flavor of the shrimp is much better when you boil them with the heads on. And we just serve them up that way. I always like looking out for tourists who order them and don't know what they are in for. The look on their face is generally the same.

I'd be disappointed to get my shrimp any other way, but I can see how you could be freaked out if you didn't know what to expect.

Drake on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Drake wrote: »
    We eat a good bit of boiled shrimp where I live. If you order it in most restaurants in my area, you'll be given a large platter with about a half pound of boiled shrimp, unpeeled with the heads on them. The flavor of the shrimp is much better when you boil them with the heads on. And we just serve them up that way. I always like looking out for tourists who order them and don't know what they are in for. The look on their face is generally the same.

I'd be disappointed to get my shrimp any other way, but I can see how you could be freaked out if you didn't know what to expect.
    FUCK.

Now I wanna go to Bubba Gumps.

Tach on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's kind of weird that I think blood pudding sounds horrible, yet I regularly consume my own blood whenever I'm cut and think it tastes good. Maybe it's one of those things where I can only handle it if it's mine.

Cervetus on
    edited April 2009
    Drake wrote: »

I'd just cut the heads off before eating. I actually don't mind them being boiled with the heads on (or separately if you're keeping the heads and shells for seasoning something else), but I won't actually eat them. I'm sure that sounds strange.

Tach: Have one in your area? There's several here in FL.

Barrakketh on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Despite the term being used for a very long time before it's invention, I object to using the term "pudding" regarding anything that hasn't been sponsored by Bill Cosby.

GungHo on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Tach: Have one in your area? There's several here in FL.

Yeah- Universal Citywalk. It's god-awesome.

Tach on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    People not of English decent. You have no understanding of what English food is, having learned about it solely through movies and TV making fun of the British.

Actually, I've been there, and I still think your food is gross.

To be fair, I liked it more than German.

MrMister on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also, this isn't really in keeping, but:
    sweet_potato_fries_1_photo.jpg
    Sweet potato fries are the BEST fries.

MrMister on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MrMister wrote: »

Let us bridge the gap between our philosophical families

and bond over the wisdom that is sweet potato fries

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited April 2009
    Podly wrote: »

<3

MrMister on
  • TalTal Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Those look delicious.

Damn you for making me want quality sweet potato fries!

Tal on
  • kilroydoskilroydos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »
    There was a website where people tried to recreate the Taco Town taco, but damned if I lost the URL.

Edit: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=95037&blogID=110345567&MyToken=0aa5e6ce-94fd-4bec-a80d-eaadec7fab87

My bookmarks might have been a good place to check.

These guys are friends of mine from Norman, OK. I still can't believe they made those and then ate them. Worst decison amid a long string of bad decisions by some of these guys.

I thought one of them posted here for a while, but I could be wrong.

kilroydos on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

In a bar near me they make a fry which is effectively a Buffalo Wing fry. I don't know how they do it, but they get that buffalo wing flavor onto the chip without it being all greasy and fatty. Its awesome!

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited April 2009

In a bar near me they make a fry which is effectively a Buffalo Wing fry. I don't know how they do it, but they get that buffalo wing flavor onto the chip without it being all greasy and fatty. Its awesome!

I wonder how that works, because the spicy sauce on wings are literally nothing more than butter and hot sauce.

Barrakketh on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Anyone remember Fruit Roll Ups? Don't let the nostalgia cloud you're mind - those things are terrible. They're as sugary as candy but they have vitamin C in them so some parents are fooled into thinking they're food. If you try to chew them, they gum up your molars and they're so tough!

You might as well sprinkle sugar over wax paper.

emnmnme on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Anyone remember Fruit Roll Ups? Don't let the nostalgia cloud you're mind - those things are terrible. They're as sugary as candy but they have vitamin C in them so some parents are fooled into thinking they're food. If you try to chew them, they gum up your molars and they're so tough!

Thats what made Pixy Stix so awesome! It made no bones about it. It was flavored sugar!

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I'd get those thinking it'd be fun to take out the shapes, but once I did I'd realize I'd just torn my sheet of candy paper into a bunch of smaller pieces of candy paper.

Robos A Go Go on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I'd get those thinking it'd be fun to take out the shapes, but once I did I'd realize I'd just torn my sheet of candy paper into a bunch of smaller pieces of candy paper.

I'm surprised small children don't confuse the shapes cut into Fruit Roll Ups and Shrinky Dinks more often.

emnmnme on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Most of the shit I liked as a kid is either no longer available because it was so horrible or obviously doesn't taste good anymore.

It kinda saddens me because I see a box of Cookie Crisp and get an urge for the good ol' days.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kagera wrote: »
    Most of the shit I liked as a kid is either no longer available because it was so horrible or obviously doesn't taste good anymore.

It kinda saddens me because I see a box of Cookie Crisp and get an urge for the good ol' days.

Yeah that shit is disgusting. I tried a bowl a couple of years ago to see if it aged as well as I remembered.

BloodySloth on