As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Slow FTP speeds over local network

Dr. GeroDr. Gero Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all,

Yesterday I set up a FTP server with SSL/TLS for easy file transfers at home, behind a router. I installed Filezilla Server on my desktop and was able to download stuff onto my laptop (over Wireless G) at 1.4 to 1.6 Mbs. I used FireFTP on the laptop for the client. I was really happy with these speeds but ended up unistalling and then reinstalling the Filezilla Server.

Now, I'm getting speeds around 200-300 Kbs. D:

I'm using the same configurations as last time, although the config files weren't saved from the unistallation. I've checked for possible sources of signal interruption and my firewall seems to be fine. I'm new to FTP and networking in general, so is there something I am missing here? I thought it might be the encryption slowing down the transfers but that seemed to work fine last time.

Any ideas, H/A?

Thanks!

Dr. Gero on

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    Some clients (and servers) suck ass at encrypting/decrypting the traffic being transfered. Tried other clients?

Echo on
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    First, check the client and server error logs. See if there's anything useful in there.
    Some clients (and servers) suck ass at encrypting/decrypting the traffic being transfered. Tried other clients?

That would have to be a pretty crappy client to struggle with the crypto process to that extent. Grab a packet capture (Wireshark) and see what's happening to the connection behind the scenes. If you need assistance analyzing the data, I'm happy to help - shouldn't take too much effort to figure out what's going on.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You're sure you're not routing that traffic through the internet now for some reason?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The transfer speeds slowed down using the same client and server software, and I've also tried other clients - same thing happens. :|

I'm pretty sure I'm not sending the files through the internet, seeing as how I've only given the local IPs (192.168.1.1, etc). The server logs don't seem out of the ordinary but I'll give the Wireshark thing a go and report back here.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I hope this works out.

Dr. Gero on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I gave Wirechack a run during a file transfer and it's showing a lot of this:

Heads up for H-scrollage -
    wireshark1strun.jpg

I looked up the color coding and the red text with black highlight stands for "Bad TCP." I'm going to go out on a limb here, and assume that this isn't good? What's happening here?

Edit:

Frak me, I confused my upload and download speeds. It seems that the speeds are consistent, upload at 1.4 Mb/s and download at 300 KB/s . No idea why the upload is faster than download, isn't it the reverse?

Dr. Gero on