As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Red Steel 2 = New media points to Samurai/Cowboy/Futuristic/Possible Steampunk mashup

stavesacrestavesacre Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
We all remember this:

red_steel.jpg

One of the most hyped up games of the Wii launch. Unfortunately, it was less than epic with lackluster controls and game breaking bugs/glitches. Most anyone who played it would agree that it was the biggest disappointment during the early launch days of the Wii.

We now have some information on the sequel, and it..... doesn't seem to be what was expected:

redsteelwiicont5.jpg

np242_cover.png

redsteel2sitecap.JPG

Joystiq lists some key points:
- Coming 2009
- MotionPlus makes wielding the sword feel "as real as you'd always dreamed!"
- Red Steel 2 seems to take place in the Wild West ... with swords. WTF?

So, I'm certainly interested. I never got burned by the first one however, so whats the verdict from you guys that bought the first? Giving it another chance?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
stavesacre on

• solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I rented the first one well after launch and genuinely enjoyed it for what it was. The sword fighting was pretty lame and the controls could be improved but there was still fun to be had. I think people just got too hyped up about it.

solsovly on
  • stavesacrestavesacre Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think I am just impressed that they decided to go in a different direction with they style. It just helps that its in a direction that is interesting to me.

stavesacre on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I got burned on the first one bad enough that there's no way in hell I'll check this out.

Unless I hear very good reviews.

And can pick it up for less than $10.

Slicer on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, if they deliver on the MotionPlus part, I'll pick it up. Otherwise I don't really care.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow, that's a pretty huge departure from the original. They gave Roland Decshain a sword instead of a second gun. I'm cool with that.

Never played the first. Heard it was pretty lame so I stayed away from it. If Motion+ does what they say, consider me interested. But I can't say more than that.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wish they would put out Project HAMMER. THAT game looked cool.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    psyck0 wrote: »
    I wish they would put out Project HAMMER. THAT game looked cool.
    Did they ever mention why that got canned?

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I hope this game is as much Japanophile wish fulfillment as the first game.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • TigTig Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    looks like they actually hired an artist for this one.

I, for one, am exited to play as neo-futuristic Clint Eastwood ninja edition.

Tig on
  • NastymanNastyman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    They gave Roland Decshain a sword instead of a second gun. I'm cool with that.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw this. I'm definitely interested even though I never played the first. It just didn't look too great to me.

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'll pick it up. I had fun with the first and never ran into any of the game breaking bugs. The multiplayer was spotty because of the IR tracking but we ended up just standing instead of sitting and it worked good.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm quite interested in this one. I was in the first one, too, but was deterred by money issues and hearing about lacking controls. Given it's cheaper now, I wonder if it's worth the look, or if I should simply save my money for 2.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Don't buy Red Steel

It's awful, pretty much

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I dunno I thought Red Steel was pretty fun. Flawed yes but still fun.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    GEE I SURE HOPE IT HAS A BOSS FIGHT WITH MIDGET BROTHERS!

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    red steel was fun for a game i got to play through for free :P

i mean, there was fun to be had, the game was certainly playable and all that (for the most part).

was it a good game? no, not really. but it was a launch title and it was more a victim of execution rather than concept. i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best for red steel 2.

definitely not a day one purchase though, pretty much no matter what

Guek on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Website giantbomb has scans. Slick cel shaded look.

JJ on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Red Steel was okay. It had some cool features, like the concentration mode where you could slow time and make pinpoint shots, shooting weapons out of people's hands. And/or making people surrender by motioning with your hand. The controls were fine so long as you set up your Wii and its sensitivity properly and the in game sensitivity as well.

It's plus's and minus's worked against each other and resulted in an OK-ish game.

If they can take all the plus's and remove all the minuses, that alone would move it up to a "good" game. If they can take the plus's and turn the minuses into plus's, there's potential for a great game there.

All we can do is wait and see though like any other game I guess..

slash000 on
    edited May 2009
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The multiplayer for Red Steel was awesome, but yeah, I never made it passed the 2nd level. I blame that on Twilight Princess though.

urahonky on
    edited May 2009
    So it's a wild west samurai shoot 'em up set in Neo FutureJapan?

That seems to be what the screenshots indicate

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This looks interesting. I need better pictures though.
    Why do I feel like this is a cliche?

Couscous on
    edited May 2009
    Is it cliche? The only game I can think of like that is Samurai Western. Have a lot of games done the samurai-in-the-west thing? with swords+guns?

aside: was Samurai Western a good game?

slash000 on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    combining two cliches does not make something not a cliche

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow, I really like those screens. Very slick.

I am kind of bummed this game is shooting for a T rating though. This means that there won't be any beheading or lobbing off limbs. I think that would be cool with swords and motion plus.

I hope they learn from their mistakes in the first one.

MiserableMirth on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

Dude, that kind of setting alone makes this something to raise an eyebrow at in intrigue.

Though, it doesn't automatically mean the gameplay mechanics people didn't like are eliminated.

Henroid on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

Dude, that kind of setting alone makes this something to raise an eyebrow at in intrigue.

Though, it doesn't automatically mean the gameplay mechanics people didn't like are eliminated.
    I think everyone who played the first game can see it had potential and cool ideas. Just very badly executed.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

I think everyone who played the first game can see it had potential and cool ideas. Just very badly executed.

No more machine gun-wielding ninjas either, please.

Dragkonias on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow, those screens look too good to be on the Wii
    Excited, interested in picking it up

Rent on
  • MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm okay with machine gun ninjas as long as said machine guns shoot ninja stars.

MiserableMirth on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Red Steel was fun enough once you forgot the hype and played it expecting nothing.

The funhouse level was actually really great, and mildly terrifying.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    This looks interesting. I need better pictures though.
    Why do I feel like this is a cliche?

The future-past thing is new, but

wild west samurai shoot 'em ups have been done before

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Crashmo wrote: »
    Red Steel was fun enough once you forgot the hype and played it expecting nothing.

This. I thought it was a very solid shooter that utilized the Wii Remote well. It wasn't anything revolutionary, but the level design was good and the environment's reaction to the gunfights worked well. I know that most people had trouble getting the guns to aim properly or had trouble with the sword controls, but I never really had problems with either of these. I found everything quite intuitive and easy to control (although it really helps if you up the sensitivity setting on the controller options so that your gun moves fast enough).

JONJONAUG on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    JONJONAUG wrote: »

This. I thought it was a very solid shooter that utilized the Wii Remote well. It wasn't anything revolutionary, but the level design was good and the environment's reaction to the gunfights worked well. I know that most people had trouble getting the guns to aim properly or had trouble with the sword controls, but I never really had problems with either of these. I found everything quite intuitive and easy to control (although it really helps if you up the sensitivity setting on the controller options so that your gun moves fast enough).

It's not a great game by any means, but you didn't even touch on the best parts.

Like how hilarious it is. I'm not sure it's intentional either.

You're a white guy with a hot Japanese girlfriend that ends up involved with the Yakuza, is a master of gun and sword with no prior training or ability, and become supremely respected in Japan by not only the Yakuza, but also by modern day Samurai.

And then everyone calls you Scott-san.

It's the ultimate Japanophile wish fulfillment game.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

It's not a great game by any means, but you didn't even touch on the best parts.

You're a white guy with a hot Japanese girlfriend that ends up involved with the Yakuza, is a master of gun and sword with no prior training or ability, and become supremely respected in Japan by not only the Yakuza, but also by modern day Samurai.

Really...only thing that was missing was someone commenting on the size of your big American penis.

Dragkonias on
  • ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I managed to avoid getting burned by Red Steel when it first came out, but I picked it up for $20 a year after and still felt ripped off. I honestly could have dealt with the controls to some extent had the storyline been something actually compelling rather than the aforementioned Japanophile wet dream given life. If it had been a straighter Yakuza story, I would have dug it a lot more rather than just losing all hope after the Geisha house.

But this. This looks remarkable. They better straight-up hawk the Metroid Prime 3 controls for the gunplay though. There is absolutely no reason not to.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    To be honest, I'm really excited for this. There was no denying the potential the first Red Steel had, and it's cool to see they haven't given up on it. I'll certainly be getting, if only for the Motion+.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • stavesacrestavesacre Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I came here to mention the new scans with the Cell shaded look and see I have been beaten to the punch.

However, I didn't see anyone talking about how it is "Motion-plus exclusive" according to Nintendo Power.

"Also, we recently got confirmation from Nintendo Power itself that the game will be 'Wii MotionPlus exclusive,' a phrase we can only interpret to mean 'you need a MotionPlus dongle to play it.'"

Interesting if that is the case. I wonder if they will do a pack in option for the motion plus with this. I would rather shell out for that rather than for Wii Sports resort.

stavesacre on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

Except that you were said hot Japanese girlfriend's personal bodyguard before you decided to start having sex with her... so you did have prior training.

Also a lot of the mechanics in the game are gimped until later after you receive enough respect points to gain upgrades. After you do all of your controls become more effective and the game becomes a lot more fun. It's kind of a weird mechanic, and unfortunately makes the game more difficult in the beginning than it should be, but I suppose that's kind of realistic... not it means people will ENJOY it.

The later levels though are friggin great.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    I got burned on the first one bad enough that there's no way in hell I'll check this out.

Unless I hear very good reviews.

And can pick it up for less than $10.

What was so bad about the first one?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490