As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Perfect [Chat]ters

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    freedom fries reminded me of victory gin

Casual Eddy on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, to be fair, everything in book 1 ("Dune" is split into two books like the Lord of the Rings volumes) until the last chapter is essentially "setting".

This is probably how things would play out if I can ever get my world in order enough to get back to writing. I don't have much in the way of long narrative in me, but I love world creation and lots of little details here and there. Sometimes the story is just an excuse.

Incenjucar on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    wazilla wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Strangers in [chat]! Strangers in [chat]!

*hide*

You bitch you abandoned me!

Sorry I use my phone as a modem and sometimes it overheats and won't turn on for a while.

Organichu on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This Jump Leads script I'm working on is, I think, brilliant. First thing I've written in days that I'm happy with.

Script? That's pretty exciting.

When's your next book supposed to come out?

Inquisitor on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

*hide*
    Perfect Strangers in [chat].

Thanatos on
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    wazilla wrote: »

*hide*

You bitch you abandoned me!

Sorry I use my phone as a modem and sometimes it overheats and won't turn on for a while.

I'm just pullin yer leg. I knew you were off fighting the war against high prices and name brand consumer electronics.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, everything in book 1 ("Dune" is split into two books like the Lord of the Rings volumes) until the last chapter is essentially "setting".

This is probably how things would play out if I can ever get my world in order enough to get back to writing. I don't have much in the way of long narrative in me, but I love world creation and lots of little details here and there. Sometimes the story is just an excuse.

I find that the story and characters grow from the world, often. I began with the setting for my novel, but by the time I was finished writing it I cared a lot more about the characters and the plot.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Medopine wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Today I learned that Versailles, KY is pronounced "ver-sails."

that's pretty rifuckulous

MORE LIKE VERFAILS

AM I RIGHT

AM I RIGHT

Evil Multifarious on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    James wrote: »
    I mean christ don't you guys call them freedom fries now?
    Hey know what you guys call evolution now?

Just a theory.

Quid on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Alright, time to unlock some more parts.

Inquisitor on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Quid wrote: »

Just a theory.

Why don't you go invade a country.

James on
    edited May 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    I find that the story and characters grow from the world, often. I began with the setting for my novel, but by the time I was finished writing it I cared a lot more about the characters and the plot.

I'm still struggling with finding a plot worth throwing my characters at. My world has many events, but my instinct is to stray away from epic scale and more into the daily life of people living in a fantasy world, albeit those with more interesting lives than average. Reptilian barristers and shamanistic detectives and whatnot.

Incenjucar on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

What makes Dune as good as it is, despite going batshit stupid eventually, is how skillfully the setting is presented in those first couple hundred pages. Dense, incredibly complicated, making no pretense of "bringing the reader up to speed" and not apologizing for the fact. You can read it half a dozen times and still notice new details each time.

And, most importantly, everything in book 1 is exceedingly internally consistent and reasonable given the basic premises.

Probably the easiest to miss point that really sets up all in the intrigue in the first place is that the spice is a fairly recent discovery. No definite dates for anything are ever given but the impression is that it was only a couple generations previous.

And so into a fairly stable society is introduced a new commodity. So overwhelmingly useful that every single human would want it if not need it yet only available on Dune itself: a drug that can extend life - easily doubling human lifespan - yet is also fatally addictive after long term exposure. "The spice must flow", because the implication of it not is complete collapse of their entire civilization. They have become utterly dependant upon it.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Just a theory.
    Let's think, now: what oil-rich country with a sub-par military is within cheap, easy striking range of us? Hmmmmmmm...

Keep talking, maple-boy. You'll talk your country right out of being a leaf, and into being a star.

Thanatos on
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, it's nice having a resource conflict to work with. It's like the magic hording that goes on in a lot of fantasy.

Incenjucar on
    edited May 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »

Just a theory.
    Let's think, now: what oil-rich country with a sub-par military is within cheap, easy striking range of us? Hmmmmmmm...

Keep talking, maple-boy.

We have a great military, we just have a small population.

And do you really want to deal with the French?

James on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Just a theory.

Keep talking, maple-boy.

We'll just do what we did to the Native Americans.

Couscous on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Blankets full of super-ebola?

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

Keep talking, maple-boy.

USA! USA!

Cinders on
    edited May 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

:x

Incenjucar on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    what movie should I look up trivia about

Medopine on
    edited May 2009

*hide*
    Perfect Strangers in [chat].
    Thanatos. Consider this: Bosom [Chat]ies

Quid on
    edited May 2009
    X2

"Professor Xavier's wheelchair from the first movie was bought by a lawyer (who also works for the same law firm as Patrick Stewart's attorney). When production began, the studio realized they had no chair anymore, so the lawyer rented it back to the studio - as Stewart said in an interview - "for a significant sum"."

Medopine on
    edited May 2009
    "The Arctic snow scenes were filmed in Alberta, Canada, an area known for its heavy snows. Naturally when the production arrived, there was none, so the snow had to be recreated."

Medopine on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You'd think buying a wheelchair would be a better choice. That way, after you are done with it, you can then sell the chair on ebay.

Cinders on
    edited May 2009
    X2

"Professor Xavier's wheelchair from the first movie was bought by a lawyer (who also works for the same law firm as Patrick Stewart's attorney). When production began, the studio realized they had no chair anymore, so the lawyer rented it back to the studio - as Stewart said in an interview - "for a significant sum"."

Further proof that you can never trust a lawyer.

Incenjucar on
    edited May 2009
    "The Arctic snow scenes were filmed in Alberta, Canada, an area known for its heavy snows. Naturally when the production arrived, there was none, so the snow had to be recreated."

I guess they didn't check the weather channel.

James on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok guys, I need help. Two idiots have both posted normally ok emails with the same "look at me I'm responsible" but completely wrong or redundant bit at the bottom. What should I "Reply All" with that burns them without making me look hostile?

electricitylikesme on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I hate girls who refuse to say anything that might make someone feel bad because it makes them impossible to read.

Someone trying to hide something from you or someone else?

When people from our class are around I feel like she wishes I would go away, when we're the only ones from our class around I feel like she wishes I wouldn't go away. I have no idea what to do with this so I just do my job as best I can and try to ignore it and vent at random strangers on the intertrons so that it can't come back on me.

that doesn't seem to be a terribly healthy way to approach the situation, but that's me.
    have you tried asking for clarification or testing obvious cues to see how she responds?
    it seems to me based only on these posts that she might be shy about advertising to classmates that she might be interested in you, not that she is embarrassed by you.

Made a point not to get her number early on so I couldn't drunk-dial her and make working for her awkward, but there's no more work to be done so I might e-mail her tomorrow if I don't convince myself that that's too creepy and opt to just not do anything since we're both graduating anyway.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited May 2009
    Ok guys, I need help. Two idiots have both posted normally ok emails with the same "look at me I'm responsible" but completely wrong or redundant bit at the bottom. What should I "Reply All" with that burns them without making me look hostile?
    Penis.

In caps.

Quid on
    edited May 2009
    what's another big special effects movie I could look up trivia for?

come on guys this is amusing me

Medopine on
    edited May 2009

Ooh do Iron Man.

Quid on
    edited May 2009
    "On "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" (1992), Hugh Jackman related a story about something that happened during the filming of the Weapon X flashback scene: while he was filming the corridor run (in which he is nude and backlit), he turned the corner and saw the female cast members, including James Marsden's mother, waiting for him, hooting and waving dollar bills."

Medopine on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009

"That's what she said."

ViolentChemistry on
  • radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR.

Needed to get that off my chest.

radroadkill on
    edited May 2009
    Penis.

In caps.
    Instead I sent a partially snarky note that the store guy doesn't just let the store run of chemicals and took my professor off the mailing list.

electricitylikesme on
    edited May 2009

"That's what she said."
    GOD DAMNIT. Why didn't you post this like, 3 minutes ago!

electricitylikesme on
    edited May 2009
    "The script was not completely prepared when filming began, since the filmmakers were more focused on the story and the action, so the dialogue was mostly ad-libbed throughout filming; Jon Favreau acknowledged this made the film feel more natural. Some scenes were shot with two cameras to capture lines improvised on the spot; Robert Downey Jr. would ask for many takes of one scene since he wanted to try something new. Gwyneth Paltrow, on the other hand, had a difficult time trying to match Downey with a suitable line, as she never knew what he would say."

also cause she sucks

Medopine on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2009

Dark Knight. There are so some "aww"s to be had in the first few.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited May 2009
    "In the scene where Pepper discovers Tony removing the damaged Iron Man armor, you can clearly see Captain America's shield partially constructed on a workbench. This same scene was shown in many trailers, but the image of the shield was edited out."

man I remember the controversy about this in the thread haha

Medopine on
This discussion has been closed.