As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Band Discussion Thread

• SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    JoCo and Paul and Storm are so full of win I can't even describe it. The JoCo show last year alone was worth the trip to PAX last year.

SlickShughes on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Serenity wrote: »
    I'm mostly disappointed by the band roster altogether so far. None of these bands interest me except for maybe MC frontalot...
    Come on PAX get some more bands!

A third of this year's lineup is new. Be patient, young grasshopper.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yes, Sensei.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm going to be a voice of distention and say I'm not thrilled that Freezepop is coming back but The OneUps got the shaft. I'm not particularly fond of Freezepop and there's a very good reason synth-pop died in the 80's (it only barely survived because it turned into House in the 90's). They're not very good live and their music is played really loud to cover that fact. This is coming from someone who was no more than four feet from any given member during their set last year.

Personaly, and this is just me, I would trade Freezepop to have The OneUps back this year. On that note, i would like to express my enthuisasim that Paul & Storm are joining us this year.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Quicksnap: perhaps you should read the forum rules...
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/announcement.php?f=26&a=73
    Your sig is a gross violation

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    Quicksnap: perhaps you should read the forum rules...
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/announcement.php?f=26&a=73
    Your sig is a gross violation
    Better? :x

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited May 2009
    actually with the quote lines thats more than 4 lines of text. If you unquote it im sure it will be fine.

If it were moe he would just delete it out of your profile :P

BigRed on
  • neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Liger wrote: »
    I'm mostly disappointed by the band roster altogether so far. None of these bands interest me except for maybe MC frontalot...
    Come on PAX get some more bands!

A third of this year's lineup is new. Be patient, young grasshopper.

I think everyone on the channel already knows who I'm waiting for.

And I'm pretty damned sure it's going to happen, whether it's Prime or East...

sings
    Get on the floor and do the Bruce Campbell
    Get on the mic wax a chump like a candle
    Four MC's we're more than you can handle
    Protect your neck and do the Bruce Campbell

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
  • nmolendanmolenda Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    They're "Discs of Fury". From Seattle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQYHvcqPpO0

http://www.discsoffury.com

'Nuff said. ;)

nmolenda on
  • bdupreebdupree Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    I have seen this band live twice. They are amazing. I had so much fun both shows.

bdupree on
    edited May 2009
    *AHEM*

dof at PAX baby....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQYHvcqPpO0

:)

nmolenda on
  • KinesthesiaKinesthesia Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    DOODS! Discs of Fury is the greatest thing to hit seattle since bacon ice-cream. I have never seen so many plastic swords on one stage. Also, that lead singer... SO. HOT.

Kinesthesia on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's important to remember that a considerable amount of work goes into lining up bands, and that PA is now planning concerts for PAX East. So remember to bring up these negative points when they ask for feedback! (Because you're probably not going to be able to change the lineup for PAX 09)

PeasantDave on
    edited May 2009
    True, but there's always the possibility of adding a fresh local act to the bill, yea?

nmolenda on
    edited May 2009
    Doubtful for PAX09.
    The only thing that anybody can do is offer suggestions for following PAX'es. Keep in mind they are just suggestions. PA ultimately decides on the bands.

BigRed on
    edited May 2009
    ok so can we expect more band announcements for this year?
    No offense, but so far this is a pretty weak band lineup IMO...

I mean it's not terrible, but I'm not excited about any of the bands that are coming with the possible exception of MC frontalot and paul & storm.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited May 2009

I mean it's not terrible, but I'm not excited about any of the bands that are coming with the possible exception of MC frontalot and paul & storm.

Then dont see the concerts if you dont enjoy the bands? They cant please everyone, jesus.

I however, am excited about all of these bands (except freezepop, not my kind of music) but ill have to wait for the dvd to even see them.

BigRed on
    edited May 2009
    BigRed wrote: »

Then dont see the concerts if you dont enjoy the bands? They cant please everyone, jesus.

I however, am excited about all of these bands (except freezepop, not my kind of music) but ill have to wait for the dvd to even see them.

I didn't say I was going to see them did I? I was just mentioning I'm not excited about the bands...
    None of these bands are my type of music. Would be awsome to see a DJ type guy like Mike Relm though...
    Anamanaguchi sounds interesting too. I'm not familiar with their music but the previews on the PAX site sound awsome!

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited May 2009
    Call me biased, but how is Discs of Fury not a perfect addition to the PAX bill? Also when you consider how much of a logistical hassle it *wouldn't* be....

nmolenda on
    edited May 2009
    nmolenda wrote: »
    Call me biased, but how is Discs of Fury not a perfect addition to the PAX bill? Also when you consider how much of a logistical hassle it *wouldn't* be....

No one disagreed, the point that was being made is that all the bands have been selected for PAX Prime ('09, at least), even if not every single one has been announced (which is what I believe is being said by the two Enforcers who have replied, unless I read something wrong.)

neuroslice on
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
  • strongesthylianstrongesthylian Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Can we get some support to get The Megas at a future PAX? They've got one album out right now and are working on their second album, which will be based on Mega Man 3, which is due out by the end of 2009.

The Megas Wikipedia entry

YouTube Playlist of their Mega Man 2 Album: Get Equipped

strongesthylian on
    Now known as Rondhi. Too lazy to make a new user account.
    edited May 2009
    cool band... although I'm not that into 'game specific' bands. That's not to say that megaman music isn't awsome...

if anyone's interested here's a megaman video of awsome:
    viewer discretion is advised: ok just realized this is probably horribly against forum rules so just look up "Duane and Brando megaman" on youtube.

I'm not sure whether this is against forum policy so Moe, please don't infract me for this!

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited May 2009
    So are the minibosses still giggin?

nmolenda on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2009
    No news yet.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm just happy that JoCo is back. I watched his entire concert in broken up Youtube vids, and I hope this year's concert is even half as good as last year's.

Brex123 on
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Brex123 wrote: »
    I'm just happy that JoCo is back. I watched his entire concert in broken up Youtube vids, and I hope this year's concert is even half as good as last year's.

It was an amazing experience. I've never been to a concert where so many people knew the lyrics to every single song.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    Brex123 wrote: »

It was an amazing experience. I've never been to a concert where so many people knew the lyrics to every single song.

Last year's PAX I only knew the lyrics to re your brains, but I loved the whole set and was hooked straight away. When I saw him in January, I knew the lyrics to [tiny]nearly[/tiny] every song.

SlickShughes on
  • PinderPinder Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Speaking of JoCo, Best. Concert. Ever. is on sale now. Apparently if you pre-order you can download the songs in advance.

Pinder on
    This signature intentionally left blank.
  • AstayonixAstayonix Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Anamanaguchi can lick my dinosauric balls. They suck, and I'm amazed that they got invited back this year. Last year, I heard them and walked out of the concert never to return. Encore?

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    http://www.n37radio.com
    Awesome Ideas With No Inititive
    IRC - radeon.slashdot.net #n37 key=topic
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I am finally gonna place in my two pence in here...

I totally dig Anamanaguchi and Freezepop...just not a big fan of them live. Granted, I did stay through all of Anamanaguchi's set--and just the first couple of songs for Freezepop...and then went back to the hotel to dowlo...purchase them from iTunes! :oops:

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Freezepop seemed to think they should play what felt like every song they knew. They played for far too long, and made the headliner set that night less great than it should have been, because I was too damned tired.

More than any band ever, PAX should feature Blind Guardian based on the simple fact that they're epic beyond epic. Besides, they were just recently in a game.

b0wser on
  • thegrumpthegrump Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    No One Ups or Minibosses but the new bands sound pretty good. This year is going to be a crazy concert.

o_O

I really want to see the MINIBOSSES! Count my vote.

thegrump on
    edited May 2009
    thegrump wrote: »
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    No One Ups or Minibosses but the new bands sound pretty good. This year is going to be a crazy concert.

o_O

I really want to see the MINIBOSSES! Count my vote.

Meh, they play every year. And the One Ups are way cooler in my opinion. Showed up at my hotel room in '07 for the failed Sealab at Sealab Party: Part Deux. Thanks LuBu, and your silly sign. lol.

Actually a lot of people showed up, but since Moe and BA/Recruit weren't there; and I was pretty nuts... I don't think anyone made it up to the hotel room. Except fucking Methos.

Anyway, One Ups are fucking nice guys. As is Mr. Frontalot.

Mission for this year: Hang out with Coulton. (>_<)

neuroslice on
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
  • The DIMDThe DIMD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    b0wser wrote: »

More than any band ever, PAX should feature Blind Guardian based on the simple fact that they're epic beyond epic. Besides, they were just recently in a game.

Sacred 2... and dude... I would give my unborn children to see them. They love video games and are self-professed nerds... I can't imagine they would turn something like that down. Hell, they have an entire album about the Lord of the Rings.

The DIMD on
    <+ACC3SS> 4chan doesn't make me cringe as much as you do, The_DIMD.
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm sad that Darkest of the Hillside Thickets isn't coming back, they fucking rocked hard. Also I still contend that PAX needs The Aquabats.

The_Reflection on
    edited May 2009
    I'm sad that Darkest of the Hillside Thickets isn't coming back, they fucking rocked hard. Also I still contend that PAX needs The Aquabats.

Well, I don't know how gamer-centric the aquabats are. But if MC Lars plays, the song This Gigantic Robot Kills (which is also the name of the new album), features MC Bat Commander and the Suburban Legends horn section. Though I'm sure they wont be there live. It's hardly even laptop rap anymore. It's iPhone rap. At the show here in Monterey with him, ytcracker, and Frontalot, the beats/videos (he projects videos on screens behind him at his shows), were played off of an iPhone.

neuroslice on
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
  • Shadow_Dancer88Shadow_Dancer88 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Am I the only one disappointed by no mention of Darkest of the Hillside Thickets yet? They totally rocked my socks, and is the album I listen to the most that I bought at PAX last year.

Yeah, no, I totally agree. OMG. I totally loved the Darkest of the Hillside Thickets at PAX last year. They just totally ruled. :> I was really hoping to see them again this year.....

So far I'm not to sad about the Line up. Yeah, I have to agree, I didn't like Anamanaguchi either. I found they really didnt mesh well with each other, and they rather annoyed me at the panel. So I'm not going to be to happy with them....

However, I do enjoy freezepop since I love techno, and JoCo is one of the most AMAZING people out there. I saw Paul and Storm at the JoCo concert back in Jan, and I'm rather stoked to see them here as well. They are way entertaining. :>

Shadow_Dancer88 on
  • HolyHesusHolyHesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I dunno where else to post this to grab the attention of the PAX founders, but I thought maybe this is a good place to start.

I know there are a lot of MC Chris fans out there eager to see him preform somewhere remotely close the NW, and why not at the best nerd following of all?? PAX!!

The last time he preformed at PAX was in 2005 and it has been too long!

Penny Arcade and MC Chris need to make up, kiss and bless us with a sweet sweet love child at PAX '09, if not PAX '10!

Please join this lame facebook group to show your support!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=85369236542&ref=nf

HolyHesus on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    He was slated to perform last year but had a change of plans. There's also been discussion on the same topic in the FAQ thread and (I think) the Band Discussion thread.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • HolyHesusHolyHesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    According to his facebook, it was because of his cancellation last year he wasn't accepted to PAX this year..

HolyHesus on
This discussion has been closed.