As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

More aerospace jargon

pogo mudderpogo mudder Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I need to find a material that they use on undercarriages and has a high young's modulus (modulus of elasticity). Atm i have one at 93Gpa but it doesnt do the job.

appreciate the help if any of you are in this area

what a work of art is man, and the most boring choice you can make
pogo mudder on

• pogo mudderpogo mudder Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    sorry to bump it on up, but i posted it way too early in the day and its super important i get some feedback on this :/

pogo mudder on
  • CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You...may have difficulty finding someone on here who knows this. I know it's probably a shot in the dark and all, but it's also a pretty obscure question for a forum related to Gaming and such.

Heck, I work in the aerospace field and I haven't the slightest clue what a "high young's modulus" is. Then again, I'm not an Aerospace Engineer or anything, so perhaps that's why.

All I can really help you with is that typically most aircraft undercarriages utilize magnesium alloys quite a bit, though that's more for it's strength to weight ratio and its resistance to corrosion. Having no idea what you've currently tried to use so far though, I really don't know what else to suggest.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sounds like this is where I come in.

As a matter of fact, magnesium and titanium alloys are typically used in aircraft for their high Young's Modulus. I'll go dig up my old Strength of Materials text and see what I can find, though off the top of my head titanium has about the 93 GPa you're rocking right now.

EDIT: Young's Modulus, better known as modulus of elasticity. Umm... Ti-6A1-4V has a modulus of 120 GPa. Other than that, your best bet for strength to weight is probably something carbon fiber composite or similar; Kevlar plastic has about a 131 GPa modulus.

If you're not concerned with weight, go with a steel alloy. Structural A36 has 200 for not quite twice the density of titanium, and Tool L2 is similar.

Was this helpful?

Terrendos on
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Never underestimate this forum! o_O

rfalias on
  • pogo mudderpogo mudder Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    thank you it was ...terrendously so!

pogo mudder on