As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ordering beer online?

rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I've googled it a bit, but couldn't find anything really solid on it.
Is it legal? (In florida)

If so, what stores are legit? I've found a few online retailers but I don't know the reliability of them.
Specifically I'm looking for Chimay Grand Réserve (Blue)

Does anyone have any experience doing this? I'd like to buy a handful of bottles, and I figure online could be cheaper, especially if its some kind of crate or what ever.

rfalias on

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pretty sure you should be fine getting shipped to you, although someone who is 21 will have to sign for it at the receiving end (or, more accurately, is supposed to sign for it).

I've ordered wine, but never beer. I know there's "beer of the month club" type companies, so people do it.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I constantly order beer from BevMo.com without any problems. I usually have to sign for it (I could have sworn that one time they just left it on my porch), but it's also a speedy delivery of maybe 3-5 days tops. Unfortunately, I checked for the Chimay you want and it's currently out of stock...not sure how long it takes them to refill these, but I'd keep the website in mind as they have a huge selection of beer plus they ship it to you or for store pickup if there's a BevMo nearby.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's legal for Florida residents to order alcohol through the mail, across state lines. As far as where to do that from, any company worth it's salt will prompt you for your state and explain the limitations you have -- usually size oriented -- so you're aware of them before finalizing your order. Sometimes there are minimums, and there are always maximums.

I can't order anything in Maryland, and I'm politically active to try to get the laws changed (without much success thus far, as I'm just 1 person). I envy you ;D

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    EggyToast wrote: »
    It's legal for Florida residents to order alcohol through the mail, across state lines. As far as where to do that from, any company worth it's salt will prompt you for your state and explain the limitations you have -- usually size oriented -- so you're aware of them before finalizing your order. Sometimes there are minimums, and there are always maximums.

I can't order anything in Maryland, and I'm politically active to try to get the laws changed (without much success thus far, as I'm just 1 person). I envy you ;D

At least as far as wine goes, if you buy at least a case and have it shipped to a business address you'll be ok in MD.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Toefoo wrote: »
    I constantly order beer from BevMo.com without any problems. I usually have to sign for it (I could have sworn that one time they just left it on my porch), but it's also a speedy delivery of maybe 3-5 days tops. Unfortunately, I checked for the Chimay you want and it's currently out of stock...not sure how long it takes them to refill these, but I'd keep the website in mind as they have a huge selection of beer plus they ship it to you or for store pickup if there's a BevMo nearby.

That was the first place I checked, but unfortunately BevMo doesn't ship beer outside of CA and AZ.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, BevMo won't go to Florida sadly :(
    Still looking though

rfalias on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    http://www.thebelgianbeershop.com/

I couldn't find the site I was looking for. It was vouched by people on BeerAdvocate's forums. The aboved mentioned one, I have no idea.

alternatively I will be in Belgium sometime this summer.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just checked, and Binny's does ship.

Will vouch for their stores, don't know about the shipping though.

edit: Their shipping polices.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    In Starscream We TrustIn Starscream We Trust Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hi. Where in Florida are you? If you have a Total Wine near, they stock this, along with the Red and Triple variety. www.totalwine.com to see if one is near you. Their prices are the cheapest I have found for pretty much all booze.

Baring that, I was in Publix today and they had Chimay Blue in their craft beer section. It was $10+ for the 24.5 oz though.

In Starscream We Trust on
    tf2_sig.png
    9dominations-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh finding it isn't a problem. I'm walking distance from a World Market.
    I was just hoping online would have bulk or something like that. Also for other choices that I can't find locally.

rfalias on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    mcp on
  • Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    chimay blue and red are beautiful. it's hard to compete with guldendrak though...steampunk dragon on the label? I mean come on.

I was going to say Bevmo but I didn't realize they only blessed the lands of kalifawnia and the arrid desert with their elf-laden wares.

having bulk chimay lying around would be like a timebomb. I don't think I could handle it.

Xantus on