As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

X-Men: Origins - Singer Wants Magneto; He Wants Magneto Badly (OP updated 06/01/09)

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What was stupid about the James Howlett story? I mean, of course he was a kid at some point.

Robos A Go Go on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Its like the Joker, just a story that doesn't need to be told and should remain a mystery forever more.

Plus it just wasn't good.

Kinda like the Romulus thing going on now.

DarkWarrior on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I'd like to know what was so wrong about that scene too. I was referring more to expanding more on
    the time afterwards. All the wars could have been expanded out to more than just a montage

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    But the montage was fantastic.

Didn't need to be expanded on.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • mystikspyralmystikspyral Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm seeing this movie tonight at midnight, or tomorrow morning I suppose. So excited! Sure, I'll only get three hours of sleep before work but it's the opening show in my home town. My geekness compels me to go.

mystikspyral on
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'Fuck the lemons,' and bail" :rotate:
  • XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rottenwatch meter continues to nosedive. :/

XiaNaphryz on
    edited April 2009
    Does anyone have any knowledge on the costs of CGI? It continues to amaze me how bad some CGI can look, yet this is where I assume most of the budget goes. Is it truly going elsewhere?

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2009
    Does anyone have any knowledge on the costs of CGI? It continues to amaze me how bad some CGI can look, yet this is where I assume most of the budget goes. Is it truly going elsewhere?

Even if a good chunk of a film's budget goes to visual effects, it still might not be enough for GOOD visual effects. % of a film's budget doesn't matter, it's the absolute cost you're paying the effects house that does. You get what you pay for, if you want high quality stuff you need to spend the money. That's why even top-class visual effects houses can sometimes produce less than stellar work. Good stuff takes more time, and if you want it done faster and still be high quality you'd need more people - in either case, that means more money.

XiaNaphryz on
  • AlephAleph Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I thought this was way worse than X3 (which was average at best). In fact I thought it was on par with the very worst of Marvel flicks, Elektra and Fantastic Four included.

Off the top of my head, here are some highlights of the movie;
    1. The old couple, whom decided to adopt Logan after finding him naked in their barn (for a total of one day and a half at least), getting sniped after having a few lighthearted moments with Logan.

2. Naked CGI Wolverine jumping off a waterfall. The escape was weak as heck.

3. The truncation of Logan's actual past into an opening credit montage. When I saw the trailers I thought having both Logan and Creed going through all the major wars in history together would be an interesting addition to the mythos, but alas it only served as a cool montage and nothing more.

4. Gambit continuing to fight with Logan for no discernible reason. Why the fuck did he save Creed and stop Logan from chasing him? It's like they just wanted to make the two fight because it'd be 'cool'.

5. Logan using his claws to block Baraka's eye beam.

6. The occasionally bad CGI claws. I swear sometimes they looked like they were struggling to follow Jackman's hands.

7. The utterly pointless secret endings. Stryker lives! Well duh, we saw him in X-2. Wolverine is in a bar.......... in Japan! Exciting!

I also found most of the action sequences to be laughably bad. Over the top action =/ exhilarating sequence.

Aleph on
    edited April 2009
    Hey, hey, hey, lets not say things we can't take back.

Little is worse than X3.

DarkWarrior on
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    no, this movie is worse than X3. X3 was occasionally interesting, visually. This movie is worse because it's utterly boring in almost every way.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Little is worse than X3.

Godfather 3 comes to mind :p

Psychotic One on
    edited May 2009

Little is worse than X3.

Godfather 3 comes to mind :p

Now that's just flat-out hyperbole there. While it pales in comparison to the first 2 GFs, GF3 is by no where near as atrocious as X3.

XiaNaphryz on
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Godfather III is a really good mob movie. It's just not a good Corleone mob movie. If the name of Pacino's character had been Scalabrine or whatever, people would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Wolverine is really about as bad as Elektra.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Godfather III is a really good mob movie. It's just not a good Corleone mob movie. If the name of Pacino's character had been Scalabrine or whatever, people would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Considering Elektra, in the lazyness to not name the character something else, skull fucked one of my favorite villians, Typhoid Mary, this doesn't bode well for wolvierine. I just hope I get the Deadpool ending at my showing so I don't have to set the whole theater on fire and build an igloo from the torsos of everyone in my path.

Psychotic One on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

That's way too harsh. It's at least as good as X3, elektra was worse than the punisher. Origins also has twice as many actors from Lost as X3, so it's got that going for it

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I didn't think the movie was bad but I left kinda disappointed. There's a lot of good and interesting Wolverine backstory that can be used, and it was left aside. What they did use was pretty meh.

Thomamelas on
  • Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Godfather III>Wolverine>Elektra>X-Men III alright everybody?

Glad that's sorted.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So um, yea CGI really annoyed me, especially with the kids running off towards xavier, I mean...couldn't they ATLEAST have had a model there to just...make things look better?

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So um, yea CGI really annoyed me, especially with the kids running off towards xavier, I mean...couldn't they ATLEAST have had a model there to just...make things look better?

This is what Im most interested in seeing in theatres.

In the workprint it was the only moment of the film that hadn't been spoiled for me, and I cheered with my roomate when it happened. But I noted how ODD it all looked without CGI. There was weird greenscreen patches everywhere and the screen was cut in half, so it was obvious that Patrick Stewart was added later, but there was way more CGI parts then I would have ever assumed you need to do one of the easiest edits in film - adding a guy to a scene. And Ive heard it just looks really bad in the final version.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    edited May 2009
    This movie was much, much better than X3. Admittedly, if Fox didn't have primary rights Wolverine could have had premium Iron Man quality; however, I actually bought Wolverine and Sabertooth's characters, the actors that play them complimented each other well. The X-Men movies just threw together some sort of famous eye candy and tried to make them fit the roles they played. Halle Berry as Storm? Ugh. Hugh Jackman was just about the only actor in the X-Men movies who actually played his character well.

mystikspyral on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I thought it was good, not great. It was part corny as hell, part several awesome scenes, and part script fuckery. I'd say it's definitely comparable to X2 in terms of quality.

Liev Schreiber alone propelled it aeons beyond X3/Spider-Man 3/Elektra/fucking Ghost Rider. If nothing else, the movie was worth watching 'cause he was so goddamned awesome.

Otherwise, it kept a good pace, I wasn't bored, and the plot didn't get too outlandish until the end. The only things that really bothered me were Weapon XI (I don't know what the fuck that was about), Patrick Shitty-CG-art, and the whole multiple endings thing. I guess they explain what happened to Deadpool in one of them and BOY I SURE WOULD HAVE LIKED TO HAVE SEEN THAT. What utter nonsense.

I definitely don't think it deserves the level of vitriol it's gotten across the haternet. It wasn't a major fuckup, and it had its heart in the right place. I guess it's kind of hard to justify its existence, when it likely could have been much better had Marvel sorted out the license garble, but I personally don't feel like getting bogged down by that, as I had a good experience.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wait wait wait, Wolverine is as good as X2?!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited May 2009
    I'd say that's a bit of an overstatement.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited May 2009
    It cant be too hard, I was bored as fuck through X2.

But then I was bored through all of them, Wolverine is the only interesting character out of all the X-men.

DarkWarrior on
    edited May 2009
    I'd say that's a bit of an overstatement.

I'd go farther and say Wolverine was better than all of the X-Men movies. Damn Fox... If only Marvel had kept the rights...

mystikspyral on
    edited May 2009
    I didn't know people loved X2 that much. Liev Schreiber was pretty much this movie's equivalent of Brian Cox. The rest was a similar blend of clumsy/awesome. I definitely think it's comparable.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited May 2009
    You know what happens to a toad when its struck by lightning?

Who the fuck wrote that and thought "we've got a winner here"?

DarkWarrior on
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wait... people didn't like The Punisher?
    I mean I honestly don't know anything about the character or his universe but I love that movie.

Glad to hear the new Sabertooth is good.
    I loved him in X1. "Scream for me"

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Joss Whedon.

Although in a much more casual way and not so much "This is the hero line!".

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
    edited May 2009
    Hmm, I'm hearing more and more that this movie was actually decent. Maybe no Brett Ratner actually made this movie decent. I was bothered by the tone of x3 ever since that clip came out at Comic Con one year with the Danger Room and the unseen Sentinel, with Wolverine being quippy about his cigar.

JLCM gave it a pretty good review

edit: This only bothers me because I was only mildly interested in this film, and then all the bad press just solidified my lack of an urge to see it, and I turned down an opportunity to see it this weekend, and now I hear it's decent.

I'd stop listening to internet opinion, but that last two movies I was offered to go see were Day the Earth Stood Still and Knowing. I'd say I'm pretty good so far.

Still gotta find the baseball bat scene from Knowing, then I'll be okay.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited May 2009
    By the way, re: Cyclops
    He didn't actually see Wolverine 'cause he was blindfolded the whole time.

Cherrn on
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Caught the movie tonight. Action scenes were all pretty good but to me the story seemed way too disjointed for my liking.

Also,
    We need a way to have him lose his memory. Let's shoot him in the brain. We all know that when brains grow back only memories are lost. I've heard of suspension of disbelief but that really made me cringe for some reason.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
    edited May 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    By the way, re: Cyclops
    He didn't actually see Wolverine 'cause he was blindfolded the whole time.

Yeah, I thought he ignored that just to facilitate the joke, but he doesn't mention it in the review, so maybe he just missed that.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    David_T wrote: »

Joss Whedon.

And he didn't write the punchline. Joss' punchline was the much better "It croaks!". Although Halle's delivery would have still killed it.

I think the line is the ONLY thing of Whedon's in the film.

Tomanta on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I just hope that they just can the idea of the Magneto origins movie based off the overall response this movie has gotten. Because you know it's gonna be worse.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited May 2009
    I just hope that they just can the idea of the Magneto origins movie based off the overall response this movie has gotten. Because you know it's gonna be worse.

I hear it's gonna basically be a straight up Nazi concentration camp movie. That doesn't sound terribly interesting, especially if they are going to use Creepy-GI for MacKellan's face.
    Tomanta wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »

Joss Whedon.

And he didn't write the punchline. Joss' punchline was the much better "It croaks!". Although Halle's delivery would have still killed it.

I think the line is the ONLY thing of Whedon's in the film.

I wasn't even aware he was part of that movie. Do people blame him like they did for the end of Civil War, when they ended up scrapping his idea for the ending anyway?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited May 2009
    It cant be too hard, I was bored as fuck through X2.

But then I was bored through all of them, Wolverine is the only interesting character out of all the X-men.

What about Nightcrawler?

Also, I thought the Pyro was alright in X2.

Robos A Go Go on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would want a magneto origins movie to be 60-80% mutant free. I want it to be about the pain and suffering he had during the holocaust, and his observence of varying political powers, and his childhood development. Then near the end he discovers his powers, or learns to control them. Possibly get to see a little bit to the point where it shows : x years later "I have gathered you all hear today, to form an alliance, a brotherhood if you will" and have it end.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    So I09.com reportedly has the spoilers up for the Deadpool related ending of the wolvie movie.
    Basically they zoom in on the rubble of the destroyed nuclear plant. We see Deadpools hand out of the rumble and then we see his head on the floor. We then see a guy in a long black over coat with his hood up, kneel down and pick up the head. We then hear dialogue as the camera pans around, " who the hell are you supposed to be?" and as it pans around we see its Wade Wilson. (Ryan Reynolds). then the screen fades to black. BTW its after the credits.

so Wade is alive and well... Weapon XI was a Wade Clone.... DEADPOOL lives

I guess this would be a way to continue on with a spin off if necessary, but I really don't like it. It just strikes me as a hasty rewrite to try to appease the internet masses.

Though it apparently came from a forum, so you know, might not be true.

Not the scene I got
    Deadpool's hand crawls out of the rubble (might not be attached to his body, impossible to tell.) It touches his severed head, which has had the mouth sliced open. His eyes open, looking right at the viewer, and he goes

"Shhh..."

The end.

I heard different regions got different extra scenes.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png