As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Anybody in the Smash Bros. Tourny?

twispbytwispby Registered User regular
edited June 2005 in PAX Archive
Probably the highlight of going to PAX for me will be playing Smash Bros. against someone I've never met before and getting my ass handed to me. After all the crying I'll look back fondly on the event. Anyways, if your planning on playing, what character do you usually play as? I usually stick to Ness or Link if I'm trying to win, but when I just like to make people angry I don't mind throwing a little Pink Yoshi into the mix. I think the pink makes it worse.

twispby.png
twispby on

• LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2005
    I would be but...

1) There are way too many great people in this area.

And 2) The RVB panel is on during it.

And now that I check the schedule...

The first of two concerts is as well...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • twispbytwispby Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    yeah i was pretty put off about missing RvB. perhaps i'll get out in the first round of the tourny and somehow sneak in. of course by then i'm sure there would be no getting in anyways. ah well.

twispby on
    twispby.png
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    Well, I suppose I could either go to the Smash Bros. Tourney or the MTG one. I figure I have better chances in this one (not that I'll win, but I could be up there). I guess it really depends on how many people are in each one.

But what character do I usually play as? Pretty much anyone but Samus, Pichu and Zelda. It isn't bad to have a little variety, you know?

But now that you bring up this topic, I suppose it is time that some of us should start training for the tourney, eh?

QuizMaster on
  • WhitePantherWhitePanther Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    If and when I confirm that I can get the appropriate days off work, I will do the logical thing... Sign up for everything I'm remotely interested in and decide when I get there. Seriously, I expect to be eliminated from the Smash tourney pretty early (I lost in the last round of my pod last year), so big whoop. I'll probably play Magic and lose early so I can play Smash. And I'll probably play Tekken and lose early so I can play Magic. It's all good. ;)

WhitePanther on
    edited May 2005
    If and when I confirm that I can get the appropriate days off work, I will do the logical thing... Sign up for everything I'm remotely interested in and decide when I get there. Seriously, I expect to be eliminated from the Smash tourney pretty early (I lost in the last round of my pod last year), so big whoop. I'll probably play Magic and lose early so I can play Smash. And I'll probably play Tekken and lose early so I can play Magic. It's all good. ;)

Actually, when I first tried to register (this was before the schedule was as complete as it is now), I was stopped. I couldn't go on since I registered for both the MTG and SSBM tournaments. So I'm pretty sure you have to choose beforehand.

QuizMaster on
  • DeathByFireballDeathByFireball Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    I'll be in the Smash Tourney. One of my favorite parts of PAX last year was getting into the top 32. I didn't make it to the top 16, but it was a lot of fun trying to get there.

DeathByFireball on
  • Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    Who was the fucker who WON his first match in the top 32, then LEFT WITHOUT TELLING ME?!? He got DQ'd as a result. You don't win and skip town, wtf.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • WhitePantherWhitePanther Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    QuizMaster wrote:

Actually, when I first tried to register (this was before the schedule was as complete as it is now), I was stopped. I couldn't go on since I registered for both the MTG and SSBM tournaments. So I'm pretty sure you have to choose beforehand.
    Aah, good to know. In that case, (again, once date confirmations are in from work) I'll sign up for the Magic online, as that seems to be the most likely to have a problem with a player limit.

WhitePanther on
  • Mr. Glub GlubMr. Glub Glub Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    Where, how, when do I register for this or any tournaments?

I must register!

Mr. Glub Glub on
    glubsignature.gif
    edited May 2005
    Hmmm....apparently the tournament is fully booked.

Dang. If only I had known there was a limit. I would have pre-registered earlier then. Well, that's a drag.

QuizMaster on
    edited May 2005
    I'll check into day-of signups. Depends on the player cap for online registration. If it was less than 256, we'll have lots of room to work with.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited May 2005
    Zig, sir, I meant to thank you in advance. Truly a magnificient man.

In the end, I'm sure it'll all turn out well. Whatever you do, it will be appreciated.

QuizMaster on
    edited May 2005
    So what does this mean, we can register on-site too?

Mr. Glub Glub on
    glubsignature.gif
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2005
    So what does this mean, we can register on-site too?

Yes. Possibly.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • FTVFTV Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    I'm really looking forward to the Smash tournament this year. Last year I got killed first match in sudden death. It was fun anyway. Hopefully this year I'll do a little better but I'm not counting on it.

Same as last year I'm gonna stick with Marth. Just can't get enough of the parry action. :P

Any of you psycho masters wanna let me in on some of your secret techniques? Yeah, didn't think so.

FTV on
    edited May 2005
    I must be in this tournament. If I don't I'll have to settle for a real fight with the tournament winner in the alley outside.

Mr. Glub Glub on
    glubsignature.gif
    edited May 2005
    There will be no violence directed towards short Japanese teenagers on my watch.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • twispbytwispby Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Hey Zig,

How exactly is the tourney going to run for smash? Are there going to be enough set ups for everyone (seems pretty impossible) or just enough for groups of 32 to go and then bring in the next group? I apologize if this is the umpteenth time you've had to deal with this.

Also...Mr. Glub Glub. Come to PAX. I'll play you at smash if you have no other friends.

twispby on
    twispby.png
  • GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2005
    the smash bros tourny turned me off to the whole thing. it was too big and was going to take too long. I'd rather be out and about hanging out with people.

I shall be there in spirit

Grath on
    edited June 2005
    Oh, I have gamer friends, but only one of them is a half decent challenge at Smash Bros. I just crave a challenge.

Mr. Glub Glub on
    glubsignature.gif
    edited June 2005
    twispby wrote:
    Hey Zig,

How exactly is the tourney going to run for smash? Are there going to be enough set ups for everyone (seems pretty impossible) or just enough for groups of 32 to go and then bring in the next group? I apologize if this is the umpteenth time you've had to deal with this.

Also...Mr. Glub Glub. Come to PAX. I'll play you at smash if you have no other friends.

Dude......we got 32 TV's and Gamecubes, same as last year. We're fine.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck