As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who wants to make a new game? :D

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Holy crap awesome.

We're like, a real thing now

Khavall on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Congrats on pretty much everything. I have yet to play it, but I've been following this thread in and out since page 1. 2/2 this year on community-made projects, between this and Shotgun Sunrise.

Mustachio Jones on
    edited May 2009
    I only have one track in Shotgun Sunrise.

To be fair though, it is the best piece of music I have ever composed in my life.

Khavall on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Congrats on pretty much everything. I have yet to play it, but I've been following this thread in and out since page 1. 2/2 this year on community-made projects, between this and Shotgun Sunrise.

I know. This is the year PA G&T makes a comeback with respect to community projects.

It'd been a disaster in the past, but this year G&T's on a roll :D

slash000 on
    edited May 2009
    By the way slash I'm not on break for 2 weeks, before I start as a lead in a show, which is really only one gig.

So you know now I have time to do the whole score.

Yeah.....

Khavall on
    edited May 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    By the way slash I'm not on break for 2 weeks, before I start as a lead in a show, which is really only one gig.

So you know now I have time to do the whole score.

Yeah.....

Haha. Well, I mean, we have a score! I'll try and see if I can make GF load external files... but I dunno if i can..

slash000 on
    edited May 2009
    Actually if we do ever learn how to get OGG or MP3 stuff I may want to revisit and upgrade the score to GPO... but yeah, I managed to finish this project just at the same time as everything else I was doing was ending... it's so strange having 2 weeks off. I'm just not used to it at all...

Khavall on
    edited May 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    Actually if we do ever learn how to get OGG or MP3 stuff I may want to revisit and upgrade the score to GPO... but yeah, I managed to finish this project just at the same time as everything else I was doing was ending... it's so strange having 2 weeks off. I'm just not used to it at all...

Well enjoy it! Do something fun. Do whatever you couldn't do because you were tied up with stuff before.

I'll look into loading external audio later this week. right now I'm revising the bat per request of this thread's feedback.

slash000 on
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I gave it quite a decent little shout-out on my Tuesday show, and Drew McWeeny mentioned it over at HitFix.com. it's fuckin great, man.

Fatboy Roberts on
    edited May 2009
    Today I took the day off by locking myself in a practice room with Chopin Etude op. 10 no. 4.

I'm really bad at relaxing.

Tonight I relaxed by drinking a lot. I'm good at that.

Khavall on
    edited May 2009
    I gave it quite a decent little shout-out on my Tuesday show, and Drew McWeeny mentioned it over at HitFix.com. it's fuckin great, man.

Cool! Thanks :D

slash000 on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Would it fix the dragon issue if you made the default images for the animations transparent? That way, you could have them be visible from the start without them showing.

jothki on
    edited May 2009
    Haha, a polish site picked up on this, here's what they had to say:

(translated from Polish to English via google):
    Do any of you remember a console called the Atari 2600? Such a black box with four switches and dźwigienkami-hole on the cartridge? I am so because this was my first hardware to play.

In any event, on the console that once spent a very nice but also very frustrating game for the title incredibly complex - "Adventure" (as they fell to?).

Apparently people from the Forum Penny Arcade terribly bored he decided to modernize the game a bit, probably so that sensitive American eyes do not hurt ... but faky are made such that an authorized remake of improved graphics (16 bit), real music (2600 offered more pipnięcia) and improved control.

And the best that their work - called Adventure 2600 Reboot - you can download for free HERE!

slash000 on
  • JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    They said that Americans don't like retro blocky graphics.

Which is completely untrue.. either that or I'm not American.. I wonder what I am?

Jasoco on
  • PasteePastee Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Big Congrats to getting this done. I'm extremely impressed.

It's also awesome to see all of the kudos floating around.

Now if you can just develop this for the IPhone, you can retire. 8-)

Pastee on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So...slash...were you terribly bored?
    POLAND DEMANDS AN ANSWER

Rent on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Congrats, you're E-famous now.

You're too cool for us.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited May 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    So...slash...were you terribly bored?
    POLAND DEMANDS AN ANSWER

When I started out, I was bored, so I decided to help Halkun. But then it became fun and I started doing it as a hobby rather than something to merely kill the time. :D

slash000 on
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I noticed that the torrent really picked up some time in the middle of yesterday and I've been tapped out seeding since.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Downloading NOW!

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Seriously, congratulations. You guys made something a lot of people love.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah I love it, and if my mom gets time to sit down and play it I won't get my pc back.

SkutSkut on
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This is so good, Slash. So very good.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
    edited May 2009
    At this moment, there is a dragon corpse blocking a path that wasn't blocked until right before this moment.

The original bat never screwed you over like this, if what I hear about its behavior is correct.

jothki on
    edited May 2009
    The bat in the original would carry/drop dragon corpses, if that's what you're asking, yes. Sometimes it would leave things such as dragon corpses in your way if you were unlucky.

If you can capture the bat, you can release it near the corpse (assuming no other objects are around), and it will grab and remove the corpse.

The alternatives are to either use the Bridge to find a way around or to press R and bring that sucker back to life

slash000 on
  • yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    The bat in the original would carry/drop dragon corpses, if that's what you're asking, yes. Sometimes it would leave things such as dragon corpses in your way if you were unlucky.

If you can capture the bat, you can release it near the corpse (assuming no other objects are around), and it will grab and remove the corpse.

The alternatives are to either use the Bridge to find a way around or to press R and bring that sucker back to life

I think the biggest issue with the bat in this version is that he'll seem to drop things without picking another object up. In the original, he would only ever swap out for a new item.

Goddamn bat aside, I really do like what you've done with this. Though I still haven't figured out how to unlock Quest H or D Mode.

(Also, the orignal bat would carry around live dragons too, if he felt like it. I haven't caught him doing that yet. :P

yurnamehere on
    edited May 2009
    I think you have to beat either Quest 2 or 3 on Hard, iirc, to unlock Quest H. H stands for Hardcore.

slash000 on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

I think the biggest issue with the bat in this version is that he'll seem to drop things without picking another object up. In the original, he would only ever swap out for a new item.

Goddamn bat aside, I really do like what you've done with this. Though I still haven't figured out how to unlock Quest H or D Mode.

(Also, the orignal bat would carry around live dragons too, if he felt like it. I haven't caught him doing that yet. :P

He saved me from a dragon once.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I sent an email off to Gabe/Tycho... I know they don't read the forums, but if they see it... Well, you never know.

halkun on
    edited May 2009
    Ok... there's a particular room in the White Castle that you absolutely must use the bridge to get to. Would it be possible to add a special check to the random distribution algorithm to ensure that the bridge doesn't get put there? I just played a game where I'm pretty sure Grundle, Yorgle, the bridge, and the chalice were all in that room. I assume this because they weren't in any other room in the game.

Also, ensure that keys aren't locked inside their own castle (or that all three keys are inside castles such that none of them can be accessed, or two keys are in each other's castle.) Something like that would occasionally happen in the original.

yurnamehere on
    edited May 2009
    Ok... there's a particular room in the White Castle that you absolutely must use the bridge to get to. Would it be possible to add a special check to the random distribution algorithm to ensure that the bridge doesn't get put there? I just played a game where I'm pretty sure Grundle, Yorgle, the bridge, and the chalice were all in that room. I assume this because they weren't in any other room in the game.

Was the magnet stuck in there? Usually (both in the original and in this) if something like this occurred, where you could not access something due to a wall, and the bridge was on the other side, you'd use the magnet to get it. And if there were dragons guarding it on the other side you'd have to kill them or ward them off with the sword. Alternatively you would try to grab the bat and let the bat out on the area, and he'd take the bridge (or in this case the Chalice) and move it to another area away from the dragons, and then you wouldn't have to get it from that particular room.

There's lots of strategies for dealing with this scenario..
    Also, ensure that keys aren't locked inside their own castle (or that all three keys are inside castles such that none of them can be accessed, or two keys are in each other's castle.) Something like that would occasionally happen in the original.

As far as the random distribution of Quest 3, it follows the same distribution algorithm of the Original, with the exception of the Yellow key, which cannot be randomly distributed to the Yellow castle. I can't remember about the other two keys though, but I'll check.

slash000 on
    edited May 2009
    OK I just checked my code, the Quest 3 distribution will not randomly place the black key in the black castle, nor the white key in the white castle upon starting Q3. The White key can be placed in the black castle, but if this occurs, then the black key cannot be placed in the White or Black castle.

So there should not be an instance of "un-obtainable keys" in Quest 3 upon initial distribution.

slash000 on
    edited May 2009

Was the magnet stuck in there? Usually (both in the original and in this) if something like this occurred, where you could not access something due to a wall, and the bridge was on the other side, you'd use the magnet to get it. And if there were dragons guarding it on the other side you'd have to kill them or ward them off with the sword. Alternatively you would try to grab the bat and let the bat out on the area, and he'd take the bridge (or in this case the Chalice) and move it to another area away from the dragons, and then you wouldn't have to get it from that particular room.

There's lots of strategies for dealing with this scenario..

As far as the random distribution of Quest 3, it follows the same distribution algorithm of the Original, with the exception of the Yellow key, which cannot be randomly distributed to the Yellow castle. I can't remember about the other two keys though, but I'll check.

The magnet was not in that room. However, using the magnet to pull items from another room only really worked if you were pulling from the room below. In this case, the room in question cannot be approached from below. Plus, with the way the character holds the magnet in this version, over the head, and with the item being drawn to the top of the magnet, I'm not certain that would work anyway.

It's not a huge issue I suppose, since you can always reroll. I was just a bit annoyed because I'd managed to get all three castles open and tucked Rhindle away guarding the White Key so he was out of my way.

yurnamehere on
  • BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Bloody brilliant job guys, can't praise you enough.

I can't speak for it's accuracy to the original, seeing as I never played it, but it's a absolutely great game to play, and is really well made.

Good show, wot wot.

Biosys on
    edited May 2009
    The magnet was not in that room. However, using the magnet to pull items from another room only really worked if you were pulling from the room below. In this case, the room in question cannot be approached from below. Plus, with the way the character holds the magnet in this version, over the head, and with the item being drawn to the top of the magnet, I'm not certain that would work anyway.

Here's what I do in this situation: Green and Yellow Dragons guarding both Bridge and Chalice, on other side of wall, inaccessible.

1. Get sword. Go to room, kill both dragons.
    2. Find magnet, come to room, attract the bridge (or chalice whatever the magnet prioritizes). Use bridge to access chalice. Or if magnet brings over the chalice (can't remember which it mag's first), then grab chalice.
    3. exit room with Chalice in hand.
    :)

If you're on Hard, you would:
    1. Get sword. Place sword in room. Dragons flee.
    2. & 3. (see above).

PlanB:
    If you happen to grab the bat in the mean time, then bring the bat over to this area, and release him. He'll grab the chalice and take it elsewhere, and you'll not have to deal with crossing this wall or magnetizing anything or what have you.

It's not a huge issue I suppose, since you can always reroll. I was just a bit annoyed because I'd managed to get all three castles open and tucked Rhindle away guarding the White Key so he was out of my way.

You can always reroll but I'd always suggest using the Magnet, sword, or Bat to handle the scenario described.

slash000 on
    edited May 2009
    Something I'm personally going to change for Version 2.0 is make it so that Red Dragon cannot be distributed to the spawn area in Quest 3.

slash000 on
    edited May 2009

Here's what I do in this situation: Green and Yellow Dragons guarding both Bridge and Chalice, on other side of wall, inaccessible.

1. Get sword. Go to room, kill both dragons.
    2. Find magnet, come to room, attract the bridge (or chalice whatever the magnet prioritizes). Use bridge to access chalice. Or if magnet brings over the chalice (can't remember which it mag's first), then grab chalice.
    3. exit room with Chalice in hand.
    :)

If you're on Hard, you would:
    1. Get sword. Place sword in room. Dragons flee.
    2. & 3. (see above).

PlanB:
    If you happen to grab the bat in the mean time, then bring the bat over to this area, and release him. He'll grab the chalice and take it elsewhere, and you'll not have to deal with crossing this wall or magnetizing anything or what have you.

You can always reroll but I'd always suggest using the Magnet, sword, or Bat to handle the scenario described.

Ah, I see the misunderstanding here. The room is completely inaccessible without the bridge. You need to cross a wall in the room above to access a passageway into the room where everything was.

yurnamehere on
    edited May 2009
    Ah, I see the misunderstanding here. The room is completely inaccessible without the bridge. You need to cross a wall in the room above to access a passageway into the room where everything was.

oooooooh

Now I know what room you're referring to. Like, when you enter the Dungeon, it's directly to the left. You can't access it through the left, but if you go up and to the left, you can't go down because of another wall.

I see.

I'll try to change the code so that the bridge can't be dropped into that particular room. Because yeah, if the bridge lands in there, there's no way to get in at all, as its outside the player's view (and thus out of range of the Magnet)

OK, well I'll add that to the list of things for V. 2.0. But it should be rare so if it happens again, i guess reroll or run around in hopes that the bat brings out the bridge (he will occasionally). But reroll is always safe. The alterantive is to check out the Catacombs just in case you didnt miss the chalice up there before rerolling.

slash000 on
    edited May 2009
    The bat is completely screwy. I've seen it touch an item and have that item disappear, and once I've even seen it somehow carry a dragon corpse and a key at the same time.

Also, it looks like the hitbox for duck corpses is incorrect.

jothki on
    edited May 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    The bat is completely screwy. I've seen it touch an item and have that item disappear, and once I've even seen it somehow carry a dragon corpse and a key at the same time.
    Weird, and sometimes with corpses that'll happen. I can probably fix that for v2.
    Also, it looks like the hitbox for duck corpses is incorrect.

That's a byproduct of slapping a different mask over an existing hitbox. It's just a silly bonus thing anyway :P

slash000 on