As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Béisbol

• RonjonRonjon Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    misbehavin wrote: »
    androo87 wrote: »
    I like how baseball players are a bunch of whiny little bitches who go on strike evertime they don't think they're making enough money. That.. and Baseball is one of the most boring motherfucking things to watch.. ever..

You mean like Hockey players (2004-2005 over 310 days and 2 season)?

And football players (1982 and 1987 strike)?

And basketball players (1998 lockout)?

Yeah, whatever. Sports is a business, and shit like that just happens from time to time in a business. People need to get over that.

now you know why football is the favorite sport, longest times since a strike, it's real simple.

Ronjon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Astros are all about being as fucking bland as Nilla Wafers. Same for the Texans. What the fuck, Houston sports teams?

Dynagrip on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well Mr. Burns had done it.
    The power plant had won it.
    With Rogers Clemens clucking all the while.
    Mike Scioscia's tragic illness made us smile.
    While Wade Boggs lay unconscious on
    the barroom tile.
    We're talkin'...
    Softball.
    From Maine to San Diego.
    Talkin'...
    Softball.
    Mattingly and Canseco.
    Ken Griffey's grotesquely swollen jaw.
    Steve Sax and his run-in with the law.
    We're talkin' Homer...
    Ozzie and the Straw.
    We're talkin'
    Softball.
    From Maine to San Diego.
    Talkin'
    Softball.
    Mattingly and Canseco.
    Griffey's grotesquely swollen jaw.
    Steve Sax and his run-in with the law.
    We're talkin' Homer...
    Ozzie and the Straw.

mully on
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    YES MULLY YES

HAVE MY CHILDREN

Scrumtrulescent on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    ShimSham wrote: »
    The Bond's thing wouldn't bother me so much if there was someone else more legit to root for. I mean I don't think there's any denying that Bonds was pretty good even before he got all big and such but yeah. If he breaks it, and they really get ahold of the HGH problem, then it might be that no one ever breaks that record again.

Who gives a fuck about Bonds? How many other players do you think have juiced? You know a shitload of pitchers have, but they're untouchable for some reason, probably because they're white. I mean look at Clemens. Fuck that guy. His "amazing workout regime" probably consists of just as many creams, clears, needles and pills as Bonds'...but Roger will never be the focus of a congressional witch hunt.

Dynagrip on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ronjon wrote: »
    I like how baseball players are a bunch of whiny little bitches who go on strike evertime they don't think they're making enough money. That.. and Baseball is one of the most boring motherfucking things to watch.. ever..

Yeah, whatever. Sports is a business, and shit like that just happens from time to time in a business. People need to get over that.

now you know why football is the favorite sport, longest times since a strike, it's real simple.

And if you don't do your job you'll get cut. None of that guaranteed contract horseshit that leads to underachieving faggots like a-rod.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm a Yankee fan, by the way.

Yeah, yeah, blah blah, go ahead, bitch at me how my team sucks and spends money to win.

Dude, I'm a Sox fan, and I hate people who say that. The Yanks are amazing, and have been amazing for over a century. And every team tries to "buy" the series, that's the whole point of paying the players.

However, the Yanks won't win it this year, despite Steinbrenner's desires. But don't worry, the Sox won't win it all, either. So we can enjoy disappointment together.

I want to hug you

but I won't

Of course they won't win. The Yankees concentrate too much on offense. You look at their lineup, Doug Mientkiewicz bats ninth. On the Twins, he batted third. You've got guys up and down the line up. Johnny Damon buffed up over the summer, and then you've got guys like Matsui and Giambi in the middle of the order.

We really need to get rid of A-Rod though. We need pitching. Wang was runner-up for the AL Cy Young, but he's one of five. Andy Phillips came up as a third baseman, and we have like 3 first basemen. Just move him over, and I think it's problem solved.

I don't know much baseball though.

If the Yanks dumped A-Rod, and picked up 1 or 2 new SOLID starting pitchers, and 2 new middle relief pitchers, as well as a better defensive shortstop (maybe move Jeter to third, and bring up a prospect? Jeter is an AMAZING hitter, but it's a well known fact that his range at short is awful), they would probably win it all once again. But they won't. They'll slug it out again, win the division or wildcard, and get steamrolled by a team with fantastic pitching in the divisional playoffs again.

The Sox have a similar problem. The fixed their starting rotation, but they're bullpen is still awful, and they have concentrated too much on offense. So, they'll bash their way to the playoffs, and get destroyed by a much better pitching team.

Eventually, these 2 teams will go back to championship form (look at the offense of the 1998 Yanks and 2004 Sox, and then you'll see), and life will be good. Until then, regular season = fun, postseason = sad.

misbehavin on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    YES MULLY YES

HAVE MY CHILDREN

NO
    U

mully on
    edited March 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    The Bond's thing wouldn't bother me so much if there was someone else more legit to root for. I mean I don't think there's any denying that Bonds was pretty good even before he got all big and such but yeah. If he breaks it, and they really get ahold of the HGH problem, then it might be that no one ever breaks that record again.

Who gives a fuck about Bonds? How many other players do you think have juiced? You know a shitload of pitchers have, but they're untouchable for some reason, probably because they're white. I mean look at Clemens. Fuck that guy. His "amazing workout regime" probably consists of just as many creams, clears, needles and pills as Bonds'...but Roger will never be the focus of a congressional witch hunt.

Are you honestly trying to imply that Bonds is being targeted by the feds because he's black?

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited March 2007

Yeah, yeah, blah blah, go ahead, bitch at me how my team sucks and spends money to win.

Dude, I'm a Sox fan, and I hate people who say that. The Yanks are amazing, and have been amazing for over a century. And every team tries to "buy" the series, that's the whole point of paying the players.

However, the Yanks won't win it this year, despite Steinbrenner's desires. But don't worry, the Sox won't win it all, either. So we can enjoy disappointment together.

I want to hug you

but I won't

Of course they won't win. The Yankees concentrate too much on offense. You look at their lineup, Doug Mientkiewicz bats ninth. On the Twins, he batted third. You've got guys up and down the line up. Johnny Damon buffed up over the summer, and then you've got guys like Matsui and Giambi in the middle of the order.

We really need to get rid of A-Rod though. We need pitching. Wang was runner-up for the AL Cy Young, but he's one of five. Andy Phillips came up as a third baseman, and we have like 3 first basemen. Just move him over, and I think it's problem solved.

If the Yanks dumped A-Rod, and picked up 1 or 2 new SOLID starting pitchers, and 2 new middle relief pitchers, as well as a better defensive shortstop (maybe move Jeter to third, and bring up a prospect? Jeter is an AMAZING hitter, but it's a well known fact that his range at short is awful), they would probably win it all once again. But they won't. They'll slug it out again, win the division or wildcard, and get steamrolled by a team with fantastic pitching in the divisional playoffs again.

The Sox have a similar problem. The fixed their starting rotation, but they're bullpen is still awful, and they have concentrated too much on offense. So, they'll bash their way to the playoffs, and get destroyed by a much better pitching team.

Eventually, these 2 teams will go back to championship form (look at the offense of the 1998 Yanks and 2004 Sox, and then you'll see), and life will be good. Until then, regular season = fun, postseason = sad.

The Yankees are pretty much known for their great pitching history.

You've got Ford, Goose, Gator, Clemens, Cone, Larsen, Mussina is sure to be known for something, Pettite is back, Rivera, and that's all I can think of right now.

I always thought that the Sox had a fantastic bullpen.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • androo87androo87 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

Baseball Strikes: 1976, 1982, 1984, 1989, 1995, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005. 2006

Baseball sucks mang. JUST ADMIT IT! FOOTBALLS WINS!

androo87 on
    edited March 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Anyone who says this knows FUCKING NOTHING about pitching. I'm serious.

A hitter relies of brute strength to achieve power. Therefore, if a hitter already has a good eye and good hand-eye coordination, then a bigger body and stronger musculature will increase power. More muscle, more power.

But a pitcher does not rely on any of this. Velocity is not generated from size, because the ball never changes weight. As a hitter, you can add weight for more force as you can handle extra weight, but a pitcher is always working with the same weight ball. Plus, a pitcher with extra bulk often means less range of motion, which will hinder a pitchers ability to throw effectively.

A pitcher on steroids is going to get worse, not better. Paxton Crawford realized this, and admitted it. He did steroids, and blew. He came off the juice, and improved.

I'm not saying pitchers shouldn't be tested, because they should be. But a pitcher who does steroids is an idiot.

misbehavin on
    edited March 2007
    Actually light steroid usage is rumored to improve a pitchers endurance.

Butters on
    edited March 2007

Those stats are bullshit. There was no strike in 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005 OR 2006. There were negotiations, all of which got resolved in the off-season.

1995 was the only really detrimental baseball strike, as it ended the season early and completely.

Football has been better, however, I'll admit that.

misbehavin on
    edited March 2007
    It also gave Chyna Doll an adams apple and makes her fuck her own brother.

androo87 on
    edited March 2007
    Plus steroids heal you faster, which is a huge plus in pitching.

Scrumtrulescent on
    edited March 2007
    Butters wrote: »

I don't know where these rumors have come from, but pitcher steroid usage was commonly believed to have happened in the late 90's... Well, just look at the league ERA in the late 90's/early 00's and you'll see the "benefits".

It is widely known that a pitcher doing steroids = reduced performance. Yeah, they'll be bigger, and their fastball might jump slightly, but their mobility will be hurt, their accuracy destroyed and their mental capacity diminished.

misbehavin on
  • AWIYAWIY Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jays fan ^____^

AWIY on
    edited March 2007
    Plus steroids heal you faster, which is a huge plus in pitching.

Steroids help in musculature growth and recovery. They do NOTHING for tendons and ligaments, which is why steroid-filled guys ALWAYS go down with knee problems.

And a pitchers worst enemy: Elbow and shoulder tendon problems.

misbehavin on
    edited March 2007

Those stats are bullshit. There was no strike in 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005 OR 2006. There were negotiations, all of which got resolved in the off-season.

1995 was the only really detrimental baseball strike, as it ended the season early and completely.

Football has been better, however, I'll admit that.

Um.. actually.. you're right.. they were beyond bullshit.. I just started typing in years.. I care about baseball about as much as I care about haveing an asshole on my elbow. (What movie is that from.) I probably shouldn't even be arguing with you. If you dig the sport, more power to you brotha. Enjoy it.

androo87 on
    edited March 2007
    I just hope for Dyna's sake he was joking. The steroid debate focuses around Bonds because he is the one most obviously breaking the rules and he's chasing a record held by one of the games most beloved players. Who was also black.

Butters on
    edited March 2007

I want to hug you

but I won't

The Yankees are pretty much known for their great pitching history.

You've got Ford, Goose, Gator, Clemens, Cone, Larsen, Mussina is sure to be known for something, Pettite is back, Rivera, and that's all I can think of right now.

I always thought that the Sox had a fantastic bullpen.

Oh, absolutely! Historically, the Yanks have has AMAZING pitching, which is why historically they are so good. But lately (the last 3-4 years), they're pitching has been average at best. Basically since Clemens and Pettitte left. Pettitte came back, so Mussina and Pettitte are good, but Pettitte has been average since leaving the Yanks, and Mussina is aging, and beyond those 2, theres not much else there, and in the playoffs, you need more than 2 good pitchers (unless those 2 are AMAZING, like Johnson and Schilling in Arizona).

And no, the Sox bullpen has blown for YEARS, and it's gonna be no better in '07.

misbehavin on
    edited March 2007
    The AL east is a retarded division anyway

AWIY on
    edited March 2007
    Dude, Chien-Ming Wang is probably the best pitcher on the rotation right now.

I can't say how he'll do this year, because last year might have just been a fluke. But if it wasn't, the staff might be a little above average this year.

Pavano's finally healthy.

Scrumtrulescent on
    edited March 2007
    AWIY wrote: »

It used to be the most powerhouse division in baseball during the 90's. But then, they stopped.

misbehavin on
    edited March 2007
    Dude, Chien-Ming Wang is probably the best pitcher on the rotation right now.

I can't say how he'll do this year, because last year might have just been a fluke. But if it wasn't, the staff might be a little above average this year.

Pavano's finally healthy.

Okay, you are right, they rotation isn't going to be as bad as it has been. But I think Pettitte is a HUGE question mark, health-wise, and Mussina is 39 years old, and his health is also in question.

Wang was awesome last year (3rd or 4th in the Cy voting, I believe), and will be great this year.

But one awesome pitcher does not equal a championship.

For an example, see the Red Sox during Pedro Martinez tenure here BEFORE Schilling.

misbehavin on
    edited March 2007
    2nd in Cy Young.

2nd.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Larlar wrote: »
    Baseball is really fucking boring.

There, I said it.

I've been saying that for years. Most fans are too busy inbreeding to listen.

The rest are just too drunk.

And possibly also inbreeding as well.

And watching NASCAR.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited March 2007
    AWIY wrote: »

It used to be the most powerhouse division in baseball during the 90's. But then, they stopped.

It's still one of the better divisions in baseball.

But any AL East team in the NL and they'd be in the playoffs. Even the devil rays.

AWIY on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I wonder how bad the Phillies will suck this year.

At least I'll be able to cheer for the Red Sox, except for when I go to Yankee Stadium. I'd get shot there.

Hunter on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like college baseball better than league ball, with the exception being Frank Thomas. I will always love that big burly man.

SithDrummer on
    edited March 2007

I don't know where these rumors have come from, but pitcher steroid usage was commonly believed to have happened in the late 90's... Well, just look at the league ERA in the late 90's/early 00's and you'll see the "benefits".

It is widely known that a pitcher doing steroids = reduced performance. Yeah, they'll be bigger, and their fastball might jump slightly, but their mobility will be hurt, their accuracy destroyed and their mental capacity diminished.

A lot of the "negative effects" of steroid usage are either unfounded or only apply to over-usage. I don't believe there are any published studies on light steroid usage in athletics and there probably never will be.

Second, I know this is just being cynical but I always see red flags when I see 35+ athletes playing better then ever.

Butters on
    edited March 2007
    Hunter wrote: »
    I wonder how bad the Phillies will suck this year.

At least I'll be able to cheer for the Red Sox, except for when I go to Yankee Stadium. I'd get shot there.

Ryan Howard only got $900,000.

All I saw on ESPN bottomline was "Ryan Howard" and "$900,000"

Scrumtrulescent on
    edited March 2007
    I like college baseball better than league ball, with the exception being Frank Thomas. I will always love that big burly man.

He is play here now ^_______^

AWIY on
    edited March 2007
    I like college baseball better than league ball, with the exception being Frank Thomas. I will always love that whiny faggot.

Butters on
    edited March 2007
    2nd in Cy Young.

2nd.

Pedro one it. Twice. And the Sox did not win a Series in any of those years. Nor did they in the year he was runner up.

They didn't win until the had 2 extra powerhouse pitchers (Schilling, Arroyo).

You could argue that, for the Yanks, thats Pettitte and Mussina, but, as I said, Pettitte is a huge question mark (he could be great, he could blow his elbow in April and retire... who knows?) and Mussina is 39 (turning 40 during the season) and his health was an issue last year.

I'm not bashing the Yanks (the Sox are gonna be no better... Schilling is 41, and his stats are gonna start fading fast, Beckett blows under pressure, and Dice-K is unproven), I'm just saying how I see it.

misbehavin on
    edited March 2007
    I one the internet wunse.

Butters on
    edited March 2007
    2nd in Cy Young.

2nd.

Pedro one it. Twice. And the Sox did not win a Series in any of those years. Nor did they in the year he was runner up.

They didn't win until the had 2 extra powerhouse pitchers (Schilling, Arroyo).

You could argue that, for the Yanks, thats Pettitte and Mussina, but, as I said, Pettitte is a huge question mark (he could be great, he could blow his elbow in April and retire... who knows?) and Mussina is 39 (turning 40 during the season) and his health was an issue last year.

I'm not bashing the Yanks (the Sox are gonna be no better... Schilling is 41, and his stats are gonna start fading fast, Beckett blows under pressure, and Dice-K is unproven), I'm just saying how I see it.

The AL east could legitimately go any one of three ways this season.

I would be surprised if the jays won it, but it's not unthinkable.

The real question is if the wildcard is going to be a total nonfactor in the east this season.

AWIY on
    edited March 2007

A lot of the "negative effects" of steroid usage are either unfounded or only apply to over-usage. I don't believe there are any published studies on light steroid usage in athletics and there probably never will be.

Second, I know this is just being cynical but I always see red flags when I see 35+ athletes playing better then ever.

I'm always suspicious when I see guys playing BETTER at 35, but I'm not suspicious when they're playing GOOD at 35. Clemens is not pitching better than he did in his hey-day by ANY means. In his hey-day, he threw 99-100 mph, struck out 10-14 per game, and won games like it was no ones business. Now, he's still very good, but he's more of a 91-94 mph thrower, with 4-8 K's per game. Still amazing, but no where near what he was.

And I truly believe that some guys are just gifted with an amazing athletic body.

misbehavin on
    edited March 2007

I'm always suspicious when I see guys playing BETTER at 35, but I'm not suspicious when they're playing GOOD at 35. Clemens is not pitching better than he did in his hey-day by ANY means. In his hey-day, he threw 99-100 mph, struck out 10-14 per game, and won games like it was no ones business. Now, he's still very good, but he's more of a 91-94 mph thrower, with 4-8 K's per game. Still amazing, but no where near what he was.

And I truly believe that some guys are just gifted with an amazing athletic body.

Dude he had practically his best season ever in 2005! ERA of 1.87 and if he'd of played for a team with decent run support he'd have been undefeated.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/clemero02.shtml

Butters on