As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

THIS THREAD INVOLVES [CHAT]ING

• Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I agree. Fuck babies.

e: Figuratively.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    D-Robe wrote: »
    I agree. Fuck babies.

2770997084_TV_CHRIS_HANSENx.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dammit. I knew that was going to happen as soon as I hit 'Post Quick Reply'.

I hate you Tam.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tam isn't the one you should be hating, YOU are the one you should be hating.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Babies can be cute. Not cute enough for me to want a baby, though.

I have no "OMG NEED TO HAVE CHILD" thing going on in my head, though it seems a couple of people do...like, that's something they're crazy-excited about, can't wait to have a baby. That desire just doesn't exist in my brain. Am I a freak? :(

I mean, when the only thing I can think of as far as 'reasons to have kids' goes is "they can take care of me when I'm older", that probably means they're not for me. I'll just be Aunt Jen to my friends' kids. Like, I get to rent them for a day. Woo! I could totally handle that.

Do I want to suddenly go traveling? No problem! Do I need to move for a job? No problem! I don't need to worry about a kid every single second (because I know I'd be overprotective)... and, selfish as it may sound...I get to have all this time to work on arts, or learn, or be happy with a dude, or travel, or do whatever I want. I'm not stuck at home taking care of a child. I'm not spending half my paycheck on taking care of a child. I mean, I used to think it was selfish of me to just not want to have a kid...but in reality, I don't think it's a crime that I just have lots of goals in my life that can't possibly involve children.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I guess its one of those "natural population curves" that just happens. I mean, if everyone wanted kids we'd eventually overpopulate (there's a trend that in highly populated city type areas, people don't want to have kids till late in life and only one if any (i remember reading this with japan as the center of the study).

That said, sometimes the "OmG baby!" thing picks up when you least expect it. I know a few girls who vowed they'd never have kids then got married and wanted 3 or more. (their idea, not the husband's)

So... I dunno. One of those mysteries of life I suppose.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Babies are gross, they remind of some sort of alien that got shot out of some sticky alien pod thing in one of those old movies. baby animals though tend to be cute.

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like the later in life scenario. I would prefer to go childless, but who knows. In any case I wouldn't even consider it until I'm in my 30's just for the sake of job stability and getting to actually live a life. The only reason I can think of to have a kid, is to offset all the super religious people having like 6+ kids. Then I can train my kid to question their beliefs and cause them emotional damage which could be fun.

Veritas on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I don't think they would care

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    But then your kids will question you and run off to become intensly religious. It'd probably just backfire.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh no!
    Loom they're eating your cousins in this Finnish travel show Madventures. The first international season will be aired on Travel channel in the US later this year. I recommend this to anyone who's interested in traveling outside the regular tourist locations.

NSFW

no_toast on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh dont worry, its mice not chinchillas

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I have no "OMG NEED TO HAVE CHILD" thing going on in my head, though it seems a couple of people do...like, that's something they're crazy-excited about, can't wait to have a baby. That desire just doesn't exist in my brain. Am I a freak? :(

I mean, when the only thing I can think of as far as 'reasons to have kids' goes is "they can take care of me when I'm older", that probably means they're not for me. I'll just be Aunt Jen to my friends' kids. Like, I get to rent them for a day. Woo! I could totally handle that.

Do I want to suddenly go traveling? No problem! Do I need to move for a job? No problem! I don't need to worry about a kid every single second (because I know I'd be overprotective)... and, selfish as it may sound...I get to have all this time to work on arts, or learn, or be happy with a dude, or travel, or do whatever I want. I'm not stuck at home taking care of a child. I'm not spending half my paycheck on taking care of a child. I mean, I used to think it was selfish of me to just not want to have a kid...but in reality, I don't think it's a crime that I just have lots of goals in my life that can't possibly involve children.

You will. You're still very young.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh dont worry, its mice not chinchillas

a cousin to your species, silly

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    they are the inferior cousins

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    The kind of cousins that make you dread family reunions?

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I didn't know family reunions included cousins

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Why did you make me watch that no-toast? D:

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It'd be a pretty small reunion if it didn't.

Never thought not wanting to have kids was selfish; I mean, I suppose I understand why one might think it, but really, kids just aren't for everyone, and that's that; as was mentioned, for overpopulation's sake, that's probably a good thing. And for the sake of people who get to see more of your artwork for it (that, however, might be selfish, of me, at least). That said, there are a bunch of people who do get to do a lot of awesome art, and have a kid, so I don't think they're always mutually exclusive. Even with overprotectiveness.

Personally, I've always kind of wanted kids (once I get "settled down," I imagine), though I suppose I'm odd like that. Either way, it's still a bit early for me to spend more than passing thoughts on that sort of thing.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »

What, have kids? God, I hope not. I also kinda like the idea that my every decision is not automatically negated due to my age. I hate people saying "oh, you'll have kids! You just haven't met the right guy yet", or "but you're so YOUNG!", or some variant. It's as if my wanting to avoid spending 18+ years of my life raising a child will suddenly fade once I find a guy I like. I mean that statement doesn't even make sense. "I really like this guy" does not equate to "I really like this guy, and want to have a kid with him". I mean it may for some people, but not for me.

If I was making this statement at the age of 15, then yes, okay, I guess "you're still very young" could apply...but it seems like most people generally have kids in their 20's, up to their early 30's. I can't see myself doing a 180 on this within the next 10 years.

I'm sure I'm going to kind of wish that I had kids when I reach 50 or so...but at the end of the day, I just really don't want to dedicate that much time and energy and whatnot into raising a kid. If it was the zombie apocalypse and I was suddenly given somebody else's child, who had nowhere else to go, of course I would have to raise it, and I guess I'd be somewhat okay with the idea in that case, because it's almost as if I wasn't given the choice. If it's up to me, however, I just don't see how it would work. I'll get a dog. That'll be my "kid".

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Get one of those cream puff babies

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009

What, have kids? God, I hope not. I also kinda like the idea that my every decision is not automatically negated due to my age. I hate people saying "oh, you'll have kids! You just haven't met the right guy yet", or "but you're so YOUNG!", or some variant. It's as if my wanting to avoid spending 18+ years of my life raising a child will suddenly fade once I find a guy I like. I mean that statement doesn't even make sense. "I really like this guy" does not equate to "I really like this guy, and want to have a kid with him". I mean it may for some people, but not for me.

If I was making this statement at the age of 15, then yes, okay, I guess "you're still very young" could apply...but it seems like most people generally have kids in their 20's, up to their early 30's. I can't see myself doing a 180 on this within the next 10 years.

I'm sure I'm going to kind of wish that I had kids when I reach 50 or so...but at the end of the day, I just really don't want to dedicate that much time and energy and whatnot into raising a kid. If it was the zombie apocalypse and I was suddenly given somebody else's child, who had nowhere else to go, of course I would have to raise it, and I guess I'd be somewhat okay with the idea in that case, because it's almost as if I wasn't given the choice. If it's up to me, however, I just don't see how it would work. I'll get a dog. That'll be my "kid".

Yeah, you are talking about this like it's a decision based on logic and what you want to do with your life. It's not.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, you are talking about this like it's a decision based on logic and what you want to do with your life. It's not.

So, what, are you saying I'm going to suddenly be overwhelmed with the desire to have kids? And that I'll just go with that feeling blindly?

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If I look young enough to attract pedophiles yet i'm a adult? What does that make a pedophile that's stalking me?

edit: OOPS WRONG THREAD!!

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    im 26 and i have absolutely no desire for a child. we'll see in 4 or 5 years but right now, i simply hear the word 'baby' and cringe.

mully on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

So, what, are you saying I'm going to suddenly be overwhelmed with the desire to have kids? And that I'll just go with that feeling blindly?

I've seen it happen with tons of my friends as they are reaching 30 years old. They are all wanting to settle down and that biological clock is getting really antsy that they haven't pumped out any kids yet.

And yeah, I understand the idea that meeting a guy you like won't mean that you instantly want to have kids. But you might eventually meet a guy who after some time you'll decide you want to spend the rest of your life with him and start a family. They aren't saying it's going to be an immediate 180, it is a gradual thing, but it's just how those things go.

But mostly I'm just saying that you aren't even out of college yet. You're young and you haven't really experienced how life works yet.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    hey y'all what's

oh shit

see ya

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    babies vomit up white stuff

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've got to say, I do get tired of the "you're still young" argument from people. I mean, I tell myself that a lot, so it's not like I think I know everything, but it seems to me like a lot of people use "you're still young" to try to end any discussion on a person's viewpoints: "I don't want kids"--"Well, you're still young"; "I'm a democrat"--"Well, you're still young"; "I don't like golf"--"Well, you're still young"; sure, that may have a bit of truth to it, but there is always the possibility that she really isn't going to change her mind on this one; my aunt never really wanted kids, even into her thirties. I mean, maybe that's not the best example, because she's got a kid now, but that wasn't planned, and she was actually pretty pissed about it at first. Even excepting her, though, there are enough people who never really warm up to the idea of kids that "you're still young" is a kind of condescending thing to say.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    I've got to say, I do get tired of the "you're still young" argument from people. I mean, I tell myself that a lot, so it's not like I think I know everything, but it seems to me like a lot of people use "you're still young" to try to end any discussion on a person's viewpoints: "I don't want kids"--"Well, you're still young"; "I'm a democrat"--"Well, you're still young"; "I don't like golf"--"Well, you're still young"; sure, that may have a bit of truth to it, but there is always the possibility that she really isn't going to change her mind on this one; my aunt never really wanted kids, even into her thirties. I mean, maybe that's not the best example, because she's got a kid now, but that wasn't planned, and she was actually pretty pissed about it at first. Even excepting her, though, there are enough people who never really warm up to the idea of kids that "you're still young" is a kind of condescending thing to say.

Except none of what you said applies to the point.

Of course she could keep the same viewpoint. The point of me saying "you're still young" is because she doesn't know. It's just a statement of fact that she hasn't really experienced life post-school, and she hasn't reached that age where a lot of women start really wanting a kid, sometimes very irrationally and in contrast to earlier life goals.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Right, circumstances can change (though really, if changes in circumstances prevented us from making any statements about our life or its plans, there'd be very little we could ever say); I only object to the way you seem to imply that most women who decide not to have kids end up changing their mind around thirty, like a biological alarm clock goes off. I suppose that, and that line, "you're still young," kind of sets me off a little, so do pardon the irrelavent rant.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    crawdaddio wrote: »
    Right, circumstances can change (though really, if changes in circumstances prevented us from making any statements about our life or its plans, there'd be very little we could ever say); I only object to the way you seem to imply that most women who decide not to have kids end up changing their mind around thirty, like a biological alarm clock goes off.

No, I said I observed that in my friends, and therefore it is something that happens sometimes.

You are really getting defensive about a joke I made to somebody else.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I didn't say "said," I said "seem to imply."

And pardon my defensiveness, it's the biological clock, you see.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Eh, I'm just too used to me saying anything to ND and three different people immediately riding in with their knight's armor on, ready to duel me.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well, to be perfectly honest, it had much less to do with ND, and much more to do with me not liking that particular phrase, and then trying to save a bit of face and pretend like there was something relavent in my rant.

I mean, not that I don't have a bit of a schoolboy crush on ND (I'm not really revealing anything new here, am I?), but I'd at least like to think I'd have had the same response if you'd said it to someone else.

EDIT: *sigh*...+$0.05...

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    My entourage got my back, yo.

Basically, I tend to agree with what craw's said, especially in how the "too young" thing feels kind of condescending. Also I can't see how the whole "post-school" life is going to be radically different for me...and really, even when I do reach the "a lot of women start wanting kids" age, I still don't see myself changing my mind. My feelings about this aren't passing whims that I'm generally apathetic about - I feel pretty strongly about this. I wouldn't have a kid unless it meant I really wanted to have one, and that my life was set up in such a way that would give them a good life. Saying that I'll change my mind in 8 years or so because the biological clock is ticking would mean that I completely abandon firmly-held beliefs that I've had for a number of years. Raising a child is a huge freakin' commitment, and despite being a mere 22 years of age, I'm pretty positive right now that it's not something I want to throw away my life dreams for.

And frankly, I don't really feel that people are defending me as much as they're just disagreeing with your reasoning, as I am.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway...

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The "you're still young" argument is dumb. But NAC is right in that an outlook developed purely during years in school is not enough to determine the outlook for the rest of your life. Your priorities start to change once you're not interacting almost exclusively with people your own age, of similar opinion, or familial status (and, let us be honest that your friends and peers in college are already a very select group, i.e. college-going, mostly young, capable of affording college, and often with similar outlooks to your own which enforce your own belief in the unshakability of your current outlook).

I'm only 23, and people have applied the "you're still young" argument to me as well. The thing is, I have been working and living on my own and my understanding of how the world worked when I graduated with my degree in 2007 and what it is now has changed in many ways. I was right about some things, but there were just as many things that I couldn't have realized that I was wrong about until I started actually living my life.

Anyway, there's no point in arguing about it. If ND wants kids some day then it's not like she lost some game, though some might want to say they told her so. Outlooks aren't permanent, and they shouldn't be regarded as such. It's hard for a person to grow when they cling too tightly to these things.

Also, my little leaguers won last night, 17-4, woot!

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    If ND wants kids some day then it's not like she lost some game

Well, she'd better not have any kids before 32 because I happen to have $50 riding on that bet.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    If ND wants kids some day then it's not like she lost some game

Well, she'd better not have any kids before 32 because I happen to have $50 riding on that bet.

been taking some classes with prox have you

Tam on
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
This discussion has been closed.