As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

pax is not a dating service!

• ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    A room wherein one takes part in Speed Dating

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    PolaGo wrote: »
    Buraisu wrote: »
    Maybe there SHOULD be a speed dating room but add a video game console to each table and have a duel! :D Single guys vs girls. What better way to get to know someone but to die to them horribly.

I think this idea would just end in tears. Not enough single cute females play videogames imho. It's still a mans sport.

Lots of rad girls play video games, but I agree that the idea would end in too many tears. If attraction happens, it happens, but no need to force the issue, especially with such a lopsided ratio (as shown by previous PAXes).

It's getting more and more even as the years go by, but there will always be a female deficit. Most will not be single. It'd be a sorry state of affairs in there, and one might as well just sit in a shower, cry, and eat spaghetti-os

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    How about a shower of spaghetti-o's?

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • oogmaroogmar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Trillian wrote: »
    Buraisu wrote: »
    Maybe there SHOULD be a speed dating room but add a video game console to each table and have a duel! :D Single guys vs girls. What better way to get to know someone but to die to them horribly.

I think this idea would just end in tears. Not enough single cute females play videogames imho. It's still a mans sport.

Lots of rad girls play video games, but I agree that the idea would end in too many tears. If attraction happens, it happens, but no need to force the issue, especially with such a lopsided ratio (as shown by previous PAXes).

It's getting more and more even as the years go by, but there will always be a female deficit. Most will not be single. It'd be a sorry state of affairs in there, and one might as well just sit in a shower, cry, and eat spaghetti-os

That's fine with me. Girls are icky.

oogmar on
    Rane, you lazy bastard, you can shut the hell up.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Bad: I remember last year at the NWN2 showing, the third or second question in the Q&A was "Can I have your phone number" to the lead designer.

The Good: The question was promptly booed by everyone in the audience.

The Ugly: Doc still hasn't told me if I can sleep on his front door rug yet D:

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
    edited March 2007
    Legacy wrote: »

No that's just weird.

Trillian on

• AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Legacy wrote: »

Sounds like less of an effect and more of a cause.

Aydr on
    edited March 2007
    So, how do all the forum people meet and hang out at PAX anyways? I talked/played DS with a bunch to people in line last year, but aside from seeing Pikapuff (Who is going to miss a bondage Sailor Moon?) and saying hi to Doc, I didn't really see any forumers.

I just want to make PA friends! I'm going with 3 other friends this year, I hope it doesn't make it harder to meet people.

I want to make a thread about this, but I don't want to look like a huge loser. Maybe I'll wait for the pics thread here right before PAX.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    wenchkilla wrote: »
    So, how do all the forum people meet and hang out at PAX anyways? I talked/played DS with a bunch to people in line last year, but aside from seeing Pikapuff (Who is going to miss a bondage Sailor Moon?) and saying hi to Doc, I didn't really see any forumers.

I just want to make PA friends! I'm going with 3 other friends this year, I hope it doesn't make it harder to meet people.

I want to make a thread about this, but I don't want to look like a huge loser. Maybe I'll wait for the pics thread here right before PAX.

Well did you wake up hung-over with your ass hurting? That is always a good sign you ran into someone.

That was Pikapuff? Cool

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My plan is to just walk around and any girl that I happen to make eye contact with just say something like "were you just vibing me?"

Captain Cthulhu on
    edited March 2007
    My plan is to just walk around and any girl that I happen to make eye contact with just say something like "were you just vibing me?"

Between that and the emo pants, they will be thoroughly confused ;-)

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
  • Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Between that and the emo pants, they will be thoroughly confused ;-)

I didn't read a lot of this thread, are you insinuating that I wear emo pants?

also, I figure that's a good way to break it open with a girl you don't know, because if she was and she thinks she might be interested in you, she'll stay and talk, but if not, she'll just give you a weird look and move on. Another good one is to just say "Nice to meet you!" and just keep walking.

Captain Cthulhu on
    edited March 2007
    It was a joke based off the link in your sig, but it was in good spirits :)

Joking aside, I always try to identify with something I may have in common/notice about the person. I walked past a guy in the hall the other day and made a comment about him playing Ouendan. He was pleasantly surprised I knew what it was and we would have talked for a while had I not had to go to class.

Of course at PAX this is easier because we are people with similar interests, but harder because you won't be surprising anyone with the fact that you like the same video game as them, unless it's rare/archaic.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
  • teamquigganteamquiggan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    my Favorite is Nice bum, where ya from?
    I've almost got into fights because of it.

teamquiggan on
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In big things like this a good way to meet people you know is to set up a lunch or something. For example we could all meet at <random place with food> at 1 o'clock on friday, and get a big group together to meet and hang out for a while.

Or there are always room parties.

And I wear emo pants. Oh god do I love those things! They are baggy and comfy, black so they go with everything, and have fun chains and hangy bits to play with and attach things to. What could be better?

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    There's a huge Thursday night, Pre-PAX dinner being planned. It's a great way to meet people, and we get to overrun an entire restaurant. Good Times!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I just want to make PA friends!

Just hang out with me for a while. I was the official forumer lighthouse.

Doc on
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    HAHAHAHA.

How tall are you, Doc?

I just remember being a bit surprised, even after seeing the "I'm as tall as a doorway" picture.

Incidentally, PAX represents 100% of the reason I bought a DS.

naporeon on
    edited March 2007
    I'd wager that all together, PAX represents about 10% of the reason that the DS took off the way it did.

Before PAX '04, I remember that people were really anticipating the PSP as the next big console. If you remember, back in those days Nintendo hadn't yet shaken their image as a 3rd-rank kiddie-console deveoper.

Then, once we actually got to the expo, there were about 10 PSPs and 150 NDS systems. The PSP's wireless hadn't been patched up yet, and wasn't working all that well at the moment, but the DS worked great right out of the box, and it was just a gigantic orgy of unprotected WiFi networking.

I remember going to Seattle vouching for the PSP, and coming home knowing for sure that the DS was going to win the handheld war.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
  • strike_the_tripstrike_the_trip Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What, no "You wanna get outta here and 'Up up down down left right left right B A B A select start? See, I said 'select' because there's two of us...

Riiieeeegghhht?"

strike_the_trip on
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh snap, that's another thing I need to do before PAX this year, get a new DS!

Kyanilis on
    edited March 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    There's a huge Thursday night, Pre-PAX dinner being planned. It's a great way to meet people, and we get to overrun an entire restaurant. Good Times!

I soooo want to go to that, as I heard all the awesome stories from last years dinner and movie. But we don't have a hotel room for thursday night :cry:

BrokenAngel on
    edited March 2007

I soooo want to go to that, as I heard all the awesome stories from last years dinner and movie. But we don't have a hotel room for thursday night :cry:

Would you like one?

Trillian on

edited March 2007
    If it came in the free to very low cost range yes!

We wanted to get one for thursday and sunday night, but with the hotel prices what they are we couldn't afford it. ::shakes a fist:: Curse you Seattle and your expensiveness! CURSE YOOOOOOU!

BrokenAngel on
    edited March 2007
    If it came in the free to very low cost range yes!

We wanted to get one for thursday and sunday night, but with the hotel prices what they are we couldn't afford it. ::shakes a fist:: Curse you Seattle and your expensiveness! CURSE YOOOOOOU!

It'll be as cheap as me baby...as cheap as me.

:winky:

I'll have to run it by Pola first, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't object too harshly.
    It's only one night after all...

Trillian on

edited March 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    I just want to make PA friends!

Just hang out with me for a while. I was the official forumer lighthouse.

I'll be holding you to that come PAX :)

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Just for that comment, I should bring Doc one of those flashlights you wear on your head. Then he can spin around.

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2007

Aweeesome! Definitely gonna watch for that one.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Needs to be like last time.

Dinner:

lasmargaritas.jpg

And a Movie:

snakesonaplane.jpg

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Needs to be like last time.

Dinner:

lasmargaritas.jpg

And a Movie:

snakesonaplane.jpg

Dinner is easy enough, but what movie will be premiering around that time? We had the luxury of snakes last year. :D

Polago on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dinner is easy enough, but what movie will be premiering around that time? We had the luxury of snakes last year. :D
    I'm wondering the same thing: what's a good geek movie that will be out in august? ... Transformers? Spider-man 3?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited March 2007
    I'm wondering the same thing: what's a good geek movie that will be out in august? ... Transformers? Spider-man 3?

Transformers is July 4, Spiderman is May 4.

I was going to suggest ATHF Colon Movie Film for Theaters, April 13 D:
    Even TMNT is April 23.

No good geek movies in August :|

Maybe... Fanboys?

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    edited March 2007

Even TMNT is April 23.

Maybe... Fanboys?

Meh, this movie part may be more complicated than we had originally hoped this year.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm not too big on spending time away from the event to see a film, but I think it would be pretty bitchin to have things screened like we've had in the theatre area. Imagine how righteous the fight scenes in Advent Children would be if Cloud was 15 feet tall!

b0wser on
  • de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dude, said film would be the night before, hence no away-from-PAX time.

de4dmeta1 on
    edited March 2007
    Yeah the Pre-PAX dinner and movie are just that... Pre-PAX. Events coordinated by forumers for the benifit of all the early arrivals who are there by Thursday evening.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited March 2007
    HERE is a list of august movie releases. I suggest:

Rush Hour 3
    The Invasion
    Bratz: The Movie

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Even TMNT is April 23.

Maybe... Fanboys?

Actually TMNT comes out March 23

I like the Transformers idea. It's only a month or so before PAX.

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    To be honest, I would love to go there and meet someone who shared the same interests as me. (But lets keep in mind that this is not my only interest.) I met a lot of awesome people last year, since this is probably the coolest crowd i've met, and i would be really lucky if this year was the same.

btw, count me in on this pre-pax stuff.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
    edited March 2007
    "The Invasion" tells the story of a mysterious epidemic that alters the behavior of human beings. When a Washington D.C. psychiatrist (Nicole Kidman) discovers the epidemic's origins are extraterrestrial, she must fight to protect her son, who may hold the key to stopping the escalating invasion.

Could be good for a laugh, much like Snakes on a Plane was last year...

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.