As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Did Yamauchi murder Gunpei Yokoi?

Turning PointTurning Point Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Social Entropy++
Now here's an interesting story. Although explained away as an accidental death there was suspicion it was murder. At the time, Yokoi was working for Bandai having been forced to retire from Nintendo in shame. His Wonderswan product was getting respectable sales which greatly disturbed and infuriated Yamauchi. Using his ties with the Yakuza, he was murdered in a manner to make it look like a traffic accident (a standard M.O. for the Yakuza which aroused suspicion in the first place). Using two teams, the Yakuza used one car to rear end the target car. As Yokoi and his driver pulled over and got out to of the vehicle to exchange insurance information, a second car drove right into him resulting in a crushing death (the most excruciatingly painful way to die). In the end, it was demonstrated that no one leaves Nintendo alive, and this fear keeps its employees (not unlike Miyamoto) from ever leaving.

gunpeiyokoi.jpg

tl;dr I totally teabagged this one dude during a hectic Halo 2 match in 2002.

Turning Point on

• Options
    HomelessHomeless Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    absolutely, very yes

Homeless on
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i heard obama did it

potatoe on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A wizard did it

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, what the fuck are you talking about?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So, what the fuck are you talking about?

Oh, I'm only risking my life by spreading the word that the chairman of Nintendo murdered an ex-employee.

But I'm prepared to face the consequences.

Turning Point on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    what?

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Okay, well, with that said, what the fuck are you talking about?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    GeoMitchGeoMitch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    thought this was an anime thread at first.

phew

GeoMitch on
    Gamertag: GeoMtch Steam Google+
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    GeoMitch wrote: »

phew
    I know, right!

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    A wizard did it

a lizard wizard

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This guy made the Game Boy

I don't think even the Yakuza would kill the creator of the Game Boy

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Okay, well, with that said, what the fuck are you talking about?

I edited the OP with a tl;dr addendum to simplify things to better assist you in your viewing enjoyment.

Turning Point on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Although explained away as an accidental death there was suspicion it was murder. At the time, Snape was working for Voldemort having been forced to retire from Hogwarts in shame. His Horcrux product was getting respectable sales which greatly disturbed and infuriated Dumbledore. Using his ties with the Death Eaters, he was murdered in a manner to make it look like a magic accident (a standard M.O. for the Death Eaters which aroused suspicion in the first place). Using two teams, the Death Easters sed one car to rear end the target car. As Snape and his driver pulled over and got out to of the vehicle to exchange insurance information, a second car drove right into him resulting in a crushing death (the most excruciatingly painful way to die). In the end, it was demonstrated that no one leaves Hogwarts alive, and this fear keeps its employees (not unlike Hagrid) from ever leaving.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Halo 2 wasn't out in 2002

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    then he was decapitated by o-ren ishi

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    GeoMitch wrote: »

phew
    I know, right!

Had the author been halkun, I'd have had much worse expectations coming in here.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TP(heh) dude you have been making some weird threads lately

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oops.

I meant Halo Wars. My bad.

Turning Point on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    did this happen 6 years ago?

GeoMitch on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well obviously you did it in 2002 in your halo match

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    What I'm wondering is how Gojira fits into this narrative. Was Yokoi killed by remnants of the Oxygen Destroyer?

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    maybe the dingo ate Yokoi

GeoMitch on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Micro-Oxygen was clearly making Yokoi too powerful, Gojira and Gojira Jr. had to be sent in to defeat him.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This guy made the Game Boy

I don't think even the Yakuza would kill the creator of the Game Boy

Yeah I'm pretty sure Gunpei Yokoi was the Japanese Mr. Rogers.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yamauchi's getting frustrated!

GeoMitch on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What I'm wondering is how Gojira fits into this narrative. Was Yokoi killed by remnants of the Oxygen Destroyer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evj24bXakqg

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There was the one time Yokoi was melting down and had to be hit with Mazer cannons and the X-3 to keep from exploding, though.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Remember that one episode where Yamauchi heckled Yokoi in his office, and then he got his toe ran over and Miyamoto took the bus and fought off the mugger to get it reattached

GeoMitch on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Which gear blew up what city again with the xenoblast or was it the lasergunsword, something something japan?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    All I remember is that Shinji Ikari tried to pilot Yokoi to fight Zakiel.

That was a crazy weekend.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    All I remember is that Shinji Ikari tried to pilot Yokoi to fight Zakiel.

That was a crazy weekend.

yeah woooo!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The last thing I remember about Evangelion is being annoyed and let down by the 26th episode and then I check, nine years later and find out there's, like, three movies? Or four movies? I don't even know.

Which I guess just encapsulates my feelings about the show. I want to like it, but I have no idea what's going on, ever.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    somehow rita repulsa was involved, maybe she was driving the second car for the yakuza, or was it really rei who was driving?

We will never know.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The last thing I remember about Evangelion is being annoyed and let down by the 26th episode and then I check, nine years later and find out there's, like, three movies? Or four movies? I don't even know.

Which I guess just encapsulates my feelings about the show. I want to like it, but I have no idea what's going on, ever.

the ending was a total shit fest, iirc

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, it wasn't fantastic.

Apparently, like with The X-Files, the movies are supposed to apologize for that, but I haven't seen a single one of those. And there way they name them and release them doesn't exactly clear things up.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, it wasn't fantastic.

Apparently, like with The X-Files, the movies are supposed to apologize for that, but I haven't seen a single one of those. And there way they name them and release them doesn't exactly clear things up.

the movies which were released shortly after were just an alternate ending, and I didn't like it too much either
    Afaik, the author wants to remake the series completely and basically change everything about it that made the second half an emo shit fest. These are the new movies, which are supposed to be a .. quadrilogy and are so far at part 2, I think.
    Getting cinema releases in Japan and all that

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    First ending was poor cause their budget ran out. Second ending (End of Evangelion) was poor because Anno, the writer, was pissed at the people who didn't like his first ending so he made a particularly dark and confusing new one.

Now they're retelling the whole series with like 4 movies and apparently there will be yet another ending. They have updated art and apparently new characters and stuff. I've only seen the first one. Was interesting, I guess.

Adus on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I saw the first of the newest movies and I thought it was good. Very much didn't care for the original series.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    the first one was pretty much the series, only a bit streamlined
    the second one introduced new characters and basically completely changed the storyline.. Some things that happened only at the end of the series/the other movies now already happened, and the story is only half in.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    HarpoHarpo Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    There was a really informative episode of that old G4 show Icons about Gunpei Yokoi. Man, I miss Icons. It was probably the best show on G4 before they tried to make it cool by doing episodes on random B-list celebrities.

Harpo on