Thanks to Kris_xK for the original OP.
Do you like lego? Would you like to play with it again? Then you need to Minecraft.
Minecraft is a game about squares.
In a world made of blocks, you (a rather blocky person yourself) must use your wits and common sense to build and carve a way to safety. This is a dangerous world, make no mistake – monsters appear from out of the dark, mountains themselves can roar at you, and an errant poke in the wrong direction could bury you alive under tons of soil.
But all is not lost. You’re a smart adventurer, after all. After tearing down some trees with your bare hands and building yourself a rudimentary shelter, you’ll begin to explore the mineral wealth of this new land – iron, coal, gold, and even stranger treasures await you deep in the cores of these mountains. The question is, can you work your way to the heart of the earth, plunder its riches, and return to tell the tale?
Developed by one-man creator Markus Persson (also known as Notch), Minecraft is a Java-based, sandbox-style adventure. It fits squarely among more difficult survival games such as Dwarf Fortress and NetHack, while keeping the simple charm of one’s younger building-block days. It is outwardly simple, internally complex, easy to play, and difficult to master. Perhaps best of all, despite being constructed of laughable square blocks, the game manages to deliver a wonderful atmosphere of fear, paranoia, determination, and reward all in one package.Where do I play the game?
It's browser based, but there is an offline client you can download.
If you want to play survival, play using one of these links: Browser
| Downloadable Client
If you want to play creative, play using one of these links: Browser Singleplayer
| Browser Multiplayer
| CPColin's Client
| WoM ClientNote:
This game mode does not have most of the features that survival does. Notch has favored updating Survival instead. It doesn't have the cool lighting or half the blocks that survival does.Is it free?
Yes and no. Right now Minecraft is in alpha, creative is free and survival is pay-only. It is highly recommended you buy it now, instead of when it goes into beta as the price will double. When you purchase the game, you get access to Survival and the ability to have a custom player skin.Current Price:
€9.95 | $14.30 | £8.00Pre-Purchase HereVideos:
Includes How-To and Beginner videos!
Useful Shit:Programs & UtilitiesIsometric Live Map Preview
- Use this for your survival worlds.NBT Forge
- A map editor for Survival.OMEN
- A map editor for CreativeIsocraft
- A great isometric image generator. Only works with creative maps.Cartograph
- Creates a map of your survival world. It's quite buggy right now but gets the job done.INVEdit
- You can use this to edit your inventory in survival.NBTEdit
- You can use this to change almost anything about your save. Spawn point, health, etc.Skin Edit
- A tool you can use to edit your player skin.Textures
Don't like the default graphics? Here are some of the popular ones.SMP's Texture PackTahel's Texture PackCheap Shot's Texture PackBrown & Bloom Texture PackPainterly PackDokus' RPG Texture Pack
None of these interest you? Try browsing this list.
Someone on the minecraft forums compiled every texture pack into one megathread.
The rather excellent HD texture fix
would be a valuable addition to the OP. Being able to play with larger textures, and still have animated water & fire is quite enjoyable.
Want to see what the look like? Cog made a handy picture guide!
Attention New Players!
In case you're interested in changing your Texture Pack, but don't know what to go with?
I loaded a few of the Texture Packs from the OP and took screenshots of the same location on Zetx's server (which hopefully demonstrates some texture variety) using each one. (Tahel's Pack link didn't load, and I didn't know what to do with Cheap Shot's .png file)
Default Texture Pack:
SMP's Texture Pack:
Brown & Bloom's Texture Pack:
All 4 Packs Side-by-Side Comparison:
Don't know how to install these? Read this.Skins
Skin Editor[/URL]Skinning Tutorial
, Supplementary Skin
by VALVEjunkieThe Skin Index
- Skin ListingLinksThe Official Minecraft Site
- Play the game here.The Dev Blog
- Notch's dev blog., Posts a lot of updates and info here.Notch's Twitter
- Can be read on his blog as well.The Official Minecraft Forums
- Just don't fucking do it. The community is fucking retarded. Already.Minecraft Wiki
- The official wiki for the game.SA Minecraft Wiki
- Another wiki, this one run by Something Awful Goons. Lots of in jokes and not as comprehensive.World of Minecraft
- The WoM Custom Client lets you hack and play offline in Minecraft Classic
.The Skin Index
- Skin ListingSTEAM GROUPClicky!Ask in Steam chat to be added.
I [EIN] AM NOT INVOLVED WITH THE STEAM GROUP. PLEASE DON'T BE ALL UP IN MY INBOX WITH REQUESTS TO BE ADDED TO IT.PUBLIC PA ServersDiannaochong.dyndns.orgUpdates and rules for this server can be found here.SulSeeker.dyndns.orgFor others ask in Steam Group chatIF YOU HAVE A SERVER AND WANT IT TO BE ADDED TO THE LISTS, PM ME, I DONT GIVE A SHIT HOW MANY TIMES YOU POST IT.I Just bought this game and I have no idea what shit is going on!
Don't worry, avid Minecraft fans FIGURED OUT A WAY TO PUT VIDEOS AND PICTURES ON THE INTERNET