Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Massive Squiggoth Bar Project

trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Critical Failures
Okay, I don't know if they'll let me do this, but I figured this project is so massive it need its own thread.

I suggested to JamSessionEin awhile back that he make a bar out of his Forgeworld Squiggoth. he did not take that idea, but I started making Feral Orks and though I might as well do it myself!

I bought two dinosaur models for a meager 20 dollars each and am going to do two Squiggoths. Both will be equipped with weapons, etc, but I thought it would be fun if they also served a dual purpose.

The first Squiggoth is going to be a massive Bar and Grill.

The second Squiggoth is going to be a Church to Gork and Mork.

I am going to photograph it at every stage and update it on the front page, as well as in the thread.

Please note, this is just the first stage, there are walls, pieces of metal, Orks, and all kinds of other stuff missing still but I wanted to document this every step of the way.

Squiggoth Bar and Grill
(name suggestions please)

Phase 1:
Please note, these are not necessarily the colors I am going to use. I am going to build it all and then paint it when I am done--unless I need to place something somewhere awkward. The Squiggoth itself, however, is probably going to be a dark to light orange.)
Squigph1frontb.jpg

Squigph1sidea.jpg

Squigph1front.jpg

Squigpha1frontc.jpg

Isn't he handsome?

There are going to be four major features on this model.

1: A bar with
...a. A dancing Ork/Human stripper.
...b. A bartender.
...c. Drunk patrons, some hanging off the dinosaurs horns, etc.
...d. Some Orks playing cards at another table.

2: A BBQ with
...a. a large pig on a spit.
...b. a smaller BBQ for burgers and sausages.
...c. A 'Kiss the Cook' wearing Chef. (complete with giant spatula.
...d. A walk-up staircase to turn the spit.

3: A weapons platform with three rokkit launchas.

4: A Hot tub (space permitting) I'm not exactly sure where to put this yet.

Here is the beginning of the Bar:
Squigpha1barb.jpg

Squigpha1bara.jpg

Here is the floor with the BBQ on it (It is currently missing the side walls and the food and the big and stuff. I just sculpted them and am waiting for them to dry.
Squigpha1bbqa.jpg

Squigpha1bbqb.jpg

I really want to pack this guy with lots of detail and I'm looking for suggestions on how to do the Sign (also what the sign should say) and where to affix the hot tub (I have some water effects and two shirtless drunken Orks ready to plop down into it)--do I add a third floor?

Squigpha1frontd.jpg

Here are the rules for it btw: (Last page of this .pdf.)

I might go with those rules, or the Forgeworld/Apocalypse rules because it's just so damn big I don't know if the Feral Ork Squiggoth rules are good enough (assuming the Forgeworld one is tougher...anyone know?)

http://www.botsnthings.com/
I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

trentsteel on

• trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Squigphaseoneplan.jpg

For now, these are my concerns.

Maybe I could put the hot tub on the side of his belly, or have a third floor above the BBQ but that might be too crowded (might explain how they heat the water though).

trentsteel on

• HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is a glorious project and you should be commended. Might just be easiest to go with the third floor.

Hylianbunny on
  • UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User
    edited November 2007
    You're completely and utterly demented. I love it.

Maybe wedge the hot tub in the bottom right (relative to that picture) area of the first floor? It kind of looks like you have patio next to the bar, which as we all know is the perfect place for a hot tub. Depends on how big it's going to be, and how much room the... *ahem*... ork dancer & table is going to take up.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Maybe put the hot tub on the first floor, and relocate the bar portion to be hanging off the edge, near ground level for walk-up patrons?

Alternatively, build a platform on the squiggoth's head for the hot tub.

see317 on
    Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • EinEin New Jersey, USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    trentsteel wrote: »
    I suggested to JamSessionEin awhile back that he make a bar out of his Forgeworld Squiggoth. he did not take that idea, but I started making Feral Orks and though I might as well do it myself!

It was a great idea, but I'm going for a roving band theme instead, I think. ;)
    Squiggoth Bar and Grill
    (name suggestions please)

As I mentioned, I considered it for a while, and I was going to hang a big sign off the side of the howdah halfway to the ground proclaiming the bar's name as 'Da Thirsty Squig'. The main thing that killed my interest in the idea was the fact that I wanted to make the sign look like neon lights, but Electroluminescent Wire does not work well for that due to the fact that it couldn't bend as tightly as I required and still light up. Still, it's a thought?

As to suggestions for the actual model

The BBQ should have a burna boy tending to it. It'd be great if you modelled him wooshing the top of the grill with fire, and you could put some more roasty nid bits on the grill.

I would not add another floor. It's high enough already. If you want to add more levels, take a page out of the FW book and add sponson-type things that hang down around the sides of the squiggoth. You need some sort of railing or outer walls on that top floor too, even if it's just barbed wire.

That triceratops thing isn't a bad model for this, but if you want it looking right squiggy you're going to have some work cut out for you. The whole back of the head should probably be cut down. Save the big horns. I'd also cut the lower jaw out, move it forward, pin it in position so it has an underbite, then sculpt overtop so you fill in the gap and bulk it up a bit. The rest of the triceratops itself is perfect, if unarmored so far - don't forget to give it some solid plating and a wrecking ball on the end of the tail.

I don't like the ladder swinging off the side like that. If anything, I'd suggest you make it a rope ladder, as it'd look more natural. If you can find some metal wire, take two pieces and twist them together: I usually use a drill or a dremel to hold one end and wrap the other around a screwdriver. Run the drill or dremel and pull the lines taught with the screwdriver while it spins and you will get a tightly-wound cable that when painted looks just like rope. You can pose this moving dynamically and get a much better appearance than a straight metal ladder going straight down.

Conversely, just put something like a few grappling hooks hanging off the side. Anchor it over the railing and just let the ropes hang down. The ladder you've got looks flimsy.

I would strongly recommend getting either the Forgeworld or Apocalypse rules for this. The Feral ork rules are really not all that good for squiggoths. Forgeworld ones are better, but Apocalypse is the strongest it'll get. Simply put, the FW rules let you churn out something like a 450 point gargantuan squiggoth with a variety of guns like zzap guns and rokkits. However, the squiggoth itself has a worse statline. The apocalypse squiggoth has a tougher stat line, and two huge supa-lobbas that can throw some deadly templates around (sadly, AP4), but it's 600 points. The Apoc one can also move 12", rather than 6, which is a huge benefit. I've been using the apoc ones recently because they're honest to god some of the most effective transports orks have, since it doesn't suffer from vehicle damage results like immobilizations and weapon destroyed rolls (it doesn't use vehicle damage charts). Toss some mega armor into that thing and you have a lot of fun. Usually my opponents don't mind me using the apoc rules in a non-apoc game, too.

Just as a tactical point, when I run squigoths, I always always always they are shielded by a Kustom Force Field. In my last Apoc game, they had a trukk racing alongside with a big mek giving them some love. They have a really poor armor save that almost any heavy weapon will negate, but the high toughness means they don't take many wounds, and giving them a 5+ from the KFF is a lifesaver - it will nearly double the time they're alive.

Ein on
    btest3.gif
    Server info: mc.crafti.ca
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow, thanks for the advice guys. Especially Jam.

Okay I read what you wrote:

1. Burna boy by the BBQ. Yes, I will do this.
    2. I like "Da Thirsty Squig" I will steal it if that's okay with you, if not I will come up with something else.
    3. The sign, I will try to just do something with the same stuff I used for my Ice Kreem Trukk.
    4. I think I will hang the hot tub off the side.
    5. I'm not sure I need the triceratops to be changed to look like the FW model; I like this one but I think I will take your suggestion for the jaw. Also I rather like the big horns.
    6. Yes, I will armor him.
    7. I like my ladders, but I am going to model Orks to climb them, maybe that will look better. I will definitely use your idea for the ropes and grappling hooks as well.

Now, I have to go paint some burger patties and sausages for the grill.

trentsteel on

• EinEin New Jersey, USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    trentsteel wrote: »
    2. I like "Da Thirsty Squig" I will steal it if that's okay with you, if not I will come up with something else.

By all means, please do.
    7. I like my ladders, but I am going to model Orks to climb them, maybe that will look better. I will definitely use your idea for the ropes and grappling hooks as well.

My only complaint is the one that I can see that hangs down to ground level, as it looks flimsy and static. While orks may appreciate a flimsy ladder, the static part is what makes me suggest a change.

I'll be watching this. ;)

Ein on
    btest3.gif
    Server info: mc.crafti.ca